Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kingofdreams

Re: Today I Learned

Postby kingofdreams » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:47 pm UTC

Today I learned that my eyes are in fact green (they look brown from a distance). Its not even that close, I haven't looked myslef closely in the eyes for as long as I can remember, they are quite clearly green, on the far side of olive nearly grass coloured, shit I suppose it makes sense most of both sides are blue eyed (my dad and his dad are brown), why did I go over two decades thinking I have brown eyes? Its on my passport as well (and its not light related I experimented).

Related to the immediatly previous posts I learned (not today but close) that my grandad nearly voted BNP but decided on Green instead (he has rather remarkable politics).
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

Today I learned that even after five years of working customer service for a auto club the stupidity of people can still astound me.

We had member call in for keys locked in the vehicle at the local supermarket, so we send a contractor out to find her. The contractor can’t find the members gold Chevrolet cobalt anywhere so we tell him to go back to his shop. The member calls back and say’s they are still at the supermarket waiting for the service. So we send the contractor out again, this time he finds the member. In a gold Chevrolet Impala, and with the doors to the vehicle not even locked.
*facepalm*
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:05 am UTC

Today I learned that a very good, brilliant friend with amazing leadership abilities can still be affected by criticism to such a degree that he is in disbelief at the stupidity of many people.
Spoiler:

Tokeeto

Postby Tokeeto » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

Today I learned, or was reminded, that alcohol is NOT the answer to love-problems.
Not when the problem is that your girlfriend decides to break up with you.. probably not ever.

But it does, however, make you sleep better...

I also learned, that if the family comes by, the very same day, it's a lot easier to lie, and pretend nothing is wrong, than actually breaking down and let them see the misery in all it's glory.
Misery does love company I guess... I just can't handle problems very well.
Hence this post.
The primal human urge for social accept, combined with that pain of a heartbreak, and the insecurity of yours truly, did indeed lead me to this forum, where one can be anonymus, yet able to rant a lot.

Thank you all for bearing with me.
And sorry for taking up the page.

Have a nice evening.
Toke.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:59 am UTC

Today, I played my third and fourth game of HoN. Having been a DotA player for about two years, it's taking a LONG time to get used to the controls.
Spoiler:

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:10 pm UTC

Yesterday I learned that Fight Club is a good movie.

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:35 pm UTC

I found that the book was better than the film, but that's the norm for me.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

singlefin

Postby singlefin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:41 pm UTC

Baldur wrote:I found that the book was better than the film, but that's the norm for me.

I think that's the norm for everyone. The only time I've ever found the film to be better than the book is Waterworld. This should give you an idea how execrable the book is.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:51 pm UTC

Yesterday I found out that the Kyoto Treaty (or I guess the Kyoto Protocol according to wikipedia) had an effect on some of our hardware. I guess something that came out of that was reduced amounts of lead in certain things. In this case the processors we use in some of our devices were affected. The interesting thing was that they still passed load testing, and they still passed heat testing. But we started getting some problems on devices in the field. We were finally about to determine it was because of the processor, and now the test procedure is to do load testing at the same time as heat testing, and that seems to catch the problem.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

Today I learned that just about every dance society meet on Thursdays, when I work. I also learned that the feminist society's masquerade ball is going to be tomorrow night. When I'm working. Thursday seems to be good for everyone except me.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

I learned that despite the car my parents let me use (and I'm basically the only one who uses it) has a vacuum issue when its cold... the tranny struggles to shift and the brakes are really firm, so yea. And despite it's incredibly slow idle speed and incredibly short brake pedal travel, idleing over a bump is too fast, and I brake too hard. And my dad thinks that every cop is out to give me a speeding ticket for going 1 mph over the speed limit, even though that can be accounted for with tire wear.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

Ha.
Everyone that I've seen drives around 5 - 10 over the speed limit, as though it were a minimum.
My dad makes sure I know if I drop under it, but he understands that I don't want to exceed it until I can actually handle a car. Which might never happen. I space out too much, driving a car just doesn't feel realistic.

Anyway, Today I Learned a bit about the PLua interpreter that I recently installed on my Palm Z22. The Palm Z22 is still an utter piece of crap, but now I can program it in a primitive BASIC-like language.

So I just wrote a graphing calculator for it. I wanted to make video games on it, but the only I/O function is pevent(), which blocks until user interaction, so I have to either wait for the user to do something or do everything by myself. Without multithreading, it is entirely impossible to make a real-time game in this. :(
HA HA DISREGARD THAT
I just downloaded PLua 2.0 and read the documentation, it turns out you can tell the event function to time out, so this will work perfectly.
And it's not too castrated... It's just castrated enough to work on the Palm OS. So no stdin, no networking to speak of, no sound, etc.

I also learned that the community surrounding PLua seem to have died off, and I've had to gather knowledge from the decaying ruins of the Yahoo group and their wiki.
Last edited by lulzfish on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:21 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:Ha.
Everyone that I've seen drives around 5 - 10 over the speed limit, as though it were a minimum.
My dad makes sure I know if I drop under it, but he understands that I don't want to exceed it until I can actually handle a car. Which might never happen. I space out too much, driving a car just doesn't feel realistic.

haha yea.... here the slow lane generally averages 5-10 over the limit. It varies. Then when there is a cop the fast lane drops to 10 under the limit.
Official Thread-Jacker

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

So some kind of castrated Lua? Nasty.

I learned that when you lose connection to a server halfway through a download, Firefox considers the download complete. :roll:
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:18 am UTC

singlefin wrote:I think that's the norm for everyone. The only time I've ever found the film to be better than the book is Waterworld. This should give you an idea how execrable the book is.

Same line, though less shitty: Count of Monte Cristo. Liked the movie, but I'm still reading the book. Have been for a year and a half.
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

whoselinefreak12

Postby whoselinefreak12 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:44 am UTC

Today I learned that in my school fewer people than I would like understand a direct reference to Portal. I assumed more than 3 kids in an IB course would laugh when a presentation of a made up video game based on summer reading ended in "Unfortunately, there is no cake."

DNA

Postby DNA » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:54 am UTC

Today I learned something about Linear Algebra applications, I forget.
:(
CATUG

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:25 am UTC

I would say you didn't actually learn anything, then...
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:00 am UTC

Today I Learned that the TI-89 Titanium may be very useful, but the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition is much easier to use. On the 84, the option to make a new matrix is under the matrix menu. On the 89, it is not. Instead, it's not under any menu and must be selected from the "catalog" of every function on the calculator. It also requires 2 new functions to turn functions on and off in the y= menu which are not anywhere on the y= screen, instead of allowing the 84's simple "go to the function, go to the option right there on the screen where it should be" approach. Furthermore, it's syntax doesn't seem able to do multiple derivatives without taking the derivative of a derivate. And while it's not really that much of a pain to type d(d(x^3,x),x) to get my 6x, I'd rather have a better syntax where I could write something like d^2(x^3,x) which looks much cleaner to me. Also, why don't you keep my entries in the memory so I can recall them later using that nifty "entry" key which is supposed to do just that? Why do I have to keep them on the screen for it to work? Because I don't want my calculations cluttered, but I do still want to be able to recall them later. Also, what's up with adding interpuncts to everything? Yes, 4x is technically 4·x, but I definitely don't need you to write everything like that. In conclusion, while it may be able to take the derivative of the craziest function you can think of (except for possibly one with a ton of variables), the stupidity of basic operations is ridiculous!

Today I learned that the multiplication dot thingy is called an interpunct, although technically there is a different unicode symbol for it when used for multiplication (as opposed to linguistic uses).
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:10 am UTC

I just double-checked, you can turn functions on and off from the Y= menu by pressing F4. You can sort of guess at this because the active functions have a checkmark next to them, and the F4 icon is a checkmark.

Today I Learned that my PDA is not capable of running a synthesizer, no matter how cool it would be. (Outputting a tone seems to turn the speaker on, make a tone, then turn it off, so it crackles A LOT if you try to play a series of tones quickly >_>)

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:10 am UTC

If your going to lie, don't hold back. :D

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:18 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:I just double-checked, you can turn functions on and off from the Y= menu by pressing F4. You can sort of guess at this because the active functions have a checkmark next to them, and the F4 icon is a checkmark.
:oops: So you can. I had been using the "FnOff" and "FnOn" commands. Thanks!
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

Things I learned at work!

*Blame is like manure. Spread lots of it around, but don't get any on you.
*Nobody will tell you anything.
*Testing process goes like this. Application is created, testing is performed, test information is compiled and sent out to developers, information is ignored and product ships.

Don't get me wrong, I love this job. It's just a little frustrating dealing with the other departments sometimes.

Sometimes I feel like I walked into a Dilbert strip.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:TIL that male chicks useless to the egg industry are ground up in giant machines. Each day I get closer and closer to going vegan.
There's always the Sphinx to help you out with that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Today I Learned that the TI-89 Titanium may be very useful, but the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition is much easier to use. On the 84, the option to make a new matrix is under the matrix menu. On the 89, it is not. Instead, it's not under any menu and must be selected from the "catalog" of every function on the calculator. It also requires 2 new functions to turn functions on and off in the y= menu which are not anywhere on the y= screen, instead of allowing the 84's simple "go to the function, go to the option right there on the screen where it should be" approach. Furthermore, it's syntax doesn't seem able to do multiple derivatives without taking the derivative of a derivate. And while it's not really that much of a pain to type d(d(x^3,x),x) to get my 6x, I'd rather have a better syntax where I could write something like d^2(x^3,x) which looks much cleaner to me. Also, why don't you keep my entries in the memory so I can recall them later using that nifty "entry" key which is supposed to do just that? Why do I have to keep them on the screen for it to work? Because I don't want my calculations cluttered, but I do still want to be able to recall them later. Also, what's up with adding interpuncts to everything? Yes, 4x is technically 4·x, but I definitely don't need you to write everything like that. In conclusion, while it may be able to take the derivative of the craziest function you can think of (except for possibly one with a ton of variables), the stupidity of basic operations is ridiculous!

Today I learned that the multiplication dot thingy is called an interpunct, although technically there is a different unicode symbol for it when used for multiplication (as opposed to linguistic uses).

On the 89 if you wanna take s 2nd or 3rd derivative, put the degree of the derivative as a parameter after the x. So the 2nd derivative of 6x^3 would be entered as d(6x^3,x,2) and it will do it for you then.
Official Thread-Jacker

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

protip: Read your calculator's manual. Seriously.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:54 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Chfan wrote:TIL that male chicks useless to the egg industry are ground up in giant machines. Each day I get closer and closer to going vegan.
There's always the Sphinx to help you out with that.

I'm scared to actually follow that link, so I'll probably just go back to bed...
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

It's a webcomic, just a sphinx talking to someone.
I've seen panels from that comic a few times, it looks good.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

Oh, read it. Pretty much what I already knew.

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

Today I learned that a gas can be magnetic!

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:03 am UTC

Bartimaeus wrote:Today I learned that a gas can be magnetic!
That's really neat, but I hesitate to call anything that cold a proper gas.

Today I Learned just how friendly people can be.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:25 am UTC

TIL Stoya is dating Marilyn Manson.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:47 am UTC

today I learned: how to abuse my modpowers for good.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:47 am UTC

I learned people like to change plans that only partially existed last minute without informing me.

There goes $2 in gas......
Official Thread-Jacker

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

yesterday I learned what it feels like to have a 200mph ball of paint bounce off my dick.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:54 am UTC

That is why I shall never be paintballing.

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:20 am UTC

Today I learned a new way to drink soda. I accidentally poked a small hole in my can of ginger ale, and a lovely liquid of carbonated goodness misted out of it. Think of it as a shower of high fructose corn syrup.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:34 am UTC

That happened one time when I was opening a box of soda with a razor blade like an idiot.
Turns out razor blades can cut aluminum cans, not just cardboard.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:00 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:That happened one time when I was opening a box of soda with a razor blade like an idiot.

What, were you slashing the side of the box? Wouldn't it have made more sense to slash the top?
Spoiler:

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:38 am UTC

Fin Archangel wrote:
lulzfish wrote:That happened one time when I was opening a box of soda with a razor blade like an idiot.

What, were you slashing the side of the box? Wouldn't it have made more sense to slash the top?

I can't remember what I was doing, but somehow I stabbed a can and leaked delicious corn syrup and yellow 14 all over the place.

Return to “General”