Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Armadillo Al

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

Hunt less Behemoth King and more Lovely Young Lady.

EDIT: Hmm...interesting pagetopper.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

One of things I've alwayed noticed is how crazy hard the "secret" bosses get with each new Final Fantasy.
I mean, Yazimat? 56,000,000 HP? REALLY?
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

Today, I learned that I still have a bottle of my red Habanero sauce. Its goin' on everything.
418 I'm a teapot

CJTnoir

Postby CJTnoir » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

clockworkmonk wrote:Today, I learned that I still have a bottle of my red Habanero sauce. Its goin' on everything.

Today I learned (read: remembered) from clockworkmonk's post that I need to go buy some of this stuff:
Spoiler:
...that's awkward.

Eastwinn

Postby Eastwinn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

Today I learned a lot about probability, like what joint probability is, or mutually exclusive events, or the concept of "almost sure." Anyone have a link to some interesting articles on probabilities?
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

sleeply

Postby sleeply » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

Today I learned that drinking a bottle of water and a large cup of coffee before going to school is not a very good idea.
A poster for the philosophy club wrote:What if the world were a pineapple and we were all talking violins?
A poster for the math club, with an arrow pointing to the above sign wrote:Someone must have divided by zero!

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

Eastwinn wrote:Today I learned a lot about probability, like what joint probability is, or mutually exclusive events, or the concept of "almost sure." Anyone have a link to some interesting articles on probabilities?

You should read about conditional probability and Bayesian inference. That shit is awesome.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:32 am UTC

Today (or yesterday rather) I learned that it's a really bad idea to challenge Ashikaga Takauji without a wand of death.
Spoiler:

L33tsaber

Postby L33tsaber » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:06 am UTC

Today I learned how to play Cadd9 and Asus2 chords.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:23 am UTC

Today I learned that I'm not the only one I know who would blare Caramelldansen while driving. :D

Armadillo Al wrote:
Alpha Omicron wrote:
Whelan wrote:Bollocks. What about the Nigerian one cent note?
Nigeria has never had a unit of currency called a cent. But their 5 naira bill is worth much less than a US dollar bill monetarily.

Zimbabwe had a one-cent note for a while. That had to be pretty worthless...
How about the 1-cent Canadian Tire note? :P
Last edited by '; DROP DATABASE;-- on Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:33 am UTC

Today (read yesterday, or more accurately Tuesday) I learned that one of my classmates had my last name completely wrong. As in on the other side of the alphabet and everything. (Of course, I had her entire name wrong for a good five weeks, so I can't really comment).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:16 am UTC

TIL: Some mechanics actually aren't into price gouging. Also, sometimes their services are worth far more then the per-hour rate.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

TIL: I know a woman that did one of the voices on Garmin GPS devices. I also learned that the woman who did the Australian voice gets recognized pretty regularly by her voice alone.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

MooglesLord

Postby MooglesLord » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

Today I learned that I likely won't be going back to college next fall. Apparently as long as I have this god-forsaken loan out, which I can't pay because I didn't expect that it would take 3 months+ to find a job, nor spend all my savings to cover bills during recent hard times, it's going to severely hamper any aid I'll get. And even though I was expecting a sum of money, pending legal actions in four months, it's becoming far more likely that the only party involved getting any recompense is my grandmother, and possibly my mother. Also, I learned that my credit score takes it's first hit in 8 days unless I come up with approximately 325 dollars. Goddamnit.

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

Today I realized that I can be quiet and still have people like me. huh.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:TIL: I know a woman that did one of the voices on Garmin GPS devices. I also learned that the woman who did the Australian voice gets recognized pretty regularly by her voice alone.

Does she do this sort of thing to people?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:50 am UTC

Today I learned that I did not, in fact, have a two year renewal paid on my vehicle registration, but rather a one year renewal.
Today I also learned that at least in Florida, we can renew these sort of things online... now hopefully I get the tag before the end of the month... come on mail...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:18 am UTC

Today I learned that space tastes like raspberries.

Sorta.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:33 am UTC

Today I learned that if you leave a partially drunk bottle of cranberry-pomeganate cocktail on a shelf where you can't see it, it will eventually explode in sticky fermented goodness all over the girl your roomate is trying to impress

also, my 1996 "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?" game dosen't work, (childhood lost attempts to burn world down)

also, you can download all of the Goon Shows online (childhood salvaged, begins to put out incipient kindling trashcan)
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:03 am UTC

kingofdreams wrote:Today I learned that if you leave a partially drunk bottle of cranberry-pomeganate cocktail on a shelf where you can't see it, it will eventually explode in sticky fermented goodness all over the girl your roomate is trying to impress

This made me laugh out loud. (I'm a bad person. Sorry.)

Today I learned the hard way (through the power being out) that my house's water heater is electric. Stupid planned power outages. That was *not* a fun shower.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:26 am UTC

kingofdreams wrote:also, you can download all of the Goon Shows online (childhood salvaged, begins to put out incipient kindling trashcan)

Legally? Where?

I have a few of them on CD, but I'd love to have the full set...

[he/him/his]

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:53 am UTC

Wolf wrote:
kingofdreams wrote:Today I learned that if you leave a partially drunk bottle of cranberry-pomeganate cocktail on a shelf where you can't see it, it will eventually explode in sticky fermented goodness all over the girl your roomate is trying to impress

This made me laugh out loud. (I'm a bad person. Sorry.)

Today I learned the hard way (through the power being out) that my house's water heater is electric. Stupid planned power outages. That was *not* a fun shower.

made him laugh too, he then got smacked which made me laugh and I got smacked, bitch was mean...
plus she smelled like fruity anti-freeze for some reason I couldn't place

-for phlip
http://www.freeotrshows.com/otr2/Goon_Show.html

they say they're all in the public domain, and I'm not outraged enough by piracy to look too deeply
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:06 am UTC

kingofdreams wrote:they say they're all in the public domain, and I'm not outraged enough by piracy to look too deeply

Sounds unlikely... they're only 50 years old, after all. I can never remember exactly how long copyright lasts, but memories suggest "life of the author plus 75 years". But that may or may not apply to the UK...

[he/him/his]

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:57 am UTC

Today I Learned that Amazon universal wishlists are not only stupidly easy to set up and use, they also are truly universal.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:59 am UTC

TIL a large amount about industrial chemical safety, all thanks to the Chemical Safety Broad's video archives. It also made me realize how potentially dangerous some of the UrBex locations I've visited were even when they were still active. In fact, they may be less dangerous now!
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:56 am UTC

TIL what it feels like when your gf breaks up with you. :(

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:13 pm UTC

I learned that alcohol doesn't make Harry Hill funny.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

Kain

Postby Kain » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

Blinke wrote:TIL what it feels like when your gf breaks up with you. :(

Sorry to hear that. Not exactly a feeling people ever want to learn.

Today (or rather around 1 AM), I learned that while I hate sociallizing with people, I can still regret not going out and socializing when the opportunity was presented. If I had known they were going to Ron John, I might have tagged along...

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

I learned how to play Egyptian Rat Screw last night (also known as Russian Mouse Nail).
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

Today I learned that I could afford a trip to a four star hotel in Rome for five nights and have enough money left over for this months rent... I need to find something less likely to make me spend large amounts of money on silly things/more productive to do with my time.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

Today I learned that you have to teach grade 9's really really slowly. Even if it's a relatively quick class.
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
kingofdreams wrote:they say they're all in the public domain, and I'm not outraged enough by piracy to look too deeply

Sounds unlikely... they're only 50 years old, after all. I can never remember exactly how long copyright lasts, but memories suggest "life of the author plus 75 years". But that may or may not apply to the UK...
Radio, right? While this likely does not apply in your nation, in 'Merica...

Public Domain Radio wrote:Radio was one of the first developments in creative technology to challenge existing copyright laws, which at that time only provided reliable protection for literary works and visual art pieces. Many supporters of "free" radio over the years have argued that because airwaves are technically free, they are public domain, and thus most broadcast radio should be free as well and not subject to copyrighting. Regardless of opinion, all radio shows created before January 1, 1978 fall under the Copyright Act of 1909 instead of the Copyright Act of 1976, as copyright law is not retroactive, and pieces registered before any law change are subject to follow the guidelines under the law that existed during the time they registered the copyright.

Because the laws in 1909 certainly did not predict the technological complexity of radio, almost all programs created before 1978 have become part of public domain radio. Once a radio show becomes part of the public domain, it cannot be copyrighted. According to the Library of Congress, the entity responsible for tracking copyrights and archiving television, radio and film productions, old radio shows and sound recordings un-copyrighted and created prior to 1978 are part of the public domain. However, producers, directors and creators of public domain radio programs were given an opportunity to renew copyrights from 1978-1979 when the law changed in order to reverse the status of their creative works. Because of the age of many of these programs, many creators had already passed away or did not have interest in taking their programs out of the public domain, and thus most radio programs remained. In fact, absolutely no United States radio broadcasts were submitted to the Library during this time from the period of 1929 - 1950; only several foreign language programs made their way into the archives.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

BigBoss

Postby BigBoss » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:08 am UTC

Today I found out that a murderer/arsonist lived in my town a long time ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Honeck
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

Tampons could be used to stop a nosebleed! - Tillian

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:15 am UTC

BigBoss wrote:Today I found out that a murderer/arsonist lived in my town a long time ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Honeck

That's nothing! A cult leader built the house I'm living in. He left after it was built to go hide in the mountains, awaiting the apocalypse.

Also, I learned that no one cares about paramedics. We had an assembly talking about how brave the police and firefighters are, but nothing about the ambulance crews. They even got cookies!
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

BigBoss

Postby BigBoss » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:20 am UTC

Eh, Nothing really happens in my town.
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

Tampons could be used to stop a nosebleed! - Tillian

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

The mafia boss who used to run my parents' town was suspected of being involved in the Kennedy assassination (John, not Bobby).

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:10 am UTC

TIL that you can get tickets at the Kennedy Space Center to watch their launches, but the tickets go on sale at 4 am, and the line forms around 2 am. I also learned that I don't actually care to spend that much time waiting to see a test launch of a new rocket if it is scheduled at between 8 am and noon.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:09 pm UTC

The funny thing about being a TA is helping to debug programs in languages I don't even know. TIL a lot about iterators in C++.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:46 am UTC

Today I learned that, mass-for-mass, reacting sodium and chlorine together releases almost twice as much energy as TNT. A gram of material in low earth orbit has about 7 times more energy. Thanks, Wikipedia.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:53 am UTC

today, I finally figured out how to get Red Alert II to work on Vista.

it was disappointingly simple.

Return to “General”