Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: Today I Learned

Postby phlip » Fri May 14, 2010 5:14 am UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:Hehe, I remember the first time I got glasses, and how startlingly clear everything was, and how weird depth-perception was. Seriously, for the first week or so it was like being in a Fun House, until my brain learned how to deal with depth.

Oh man, I remember that. Best thing for that: walking while staring at your feet, first day you get glasses. While going down stairs.

With my prescription, everything looks very slightly closer to me while I'm wearing the glasses compared to when I'm not.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri May 14, 2010 10:10 am UTC

Today, or more specifically, two days ago, I learned that if you edit someone's post when they themselves are editing it, you get a pop-up warning!

Or at least I think you do. I learned this from that motherfucker hodge, who was editing a post of mine.

I learned that too! -Hodge.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat May 15, 2010 4:46 am UTC

TIL (from another forum):

"You can be messily but elegantly drunk. My friend teetered into a lavender bush in a slow motion fall at a BBQ once - a very lady-like and fragrant fall, and she emerged with flowers in her marginally dishevelled hair."
Last edited by PM 2Ring on Wed May 19, 2010 9:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

olubunmi

Postby olubunmi » Sun May 16, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

Yesterday I learned my grandfather was admitted into hospital. Today I learned it doesn't look good for him (he has pneunomia, and some other problems too).
Tomorrow is my mom's 50th birthday, and also the start of my final exams.

So that's basically 2,5 weeks of study hell, a milestone birthday which we hardly celebrate and quite possibly my grandfather won't make it until the end of my exams.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sun May 16, 2010 4:27 pm UTC

*hugs for olubunmi* I hope everything turns out well. Sounds like a very rough situation. :(
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

olubunmi

Postby olubunmi » Sun May 16, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

I'll have to find a way to cope with it for now,
I know he can't live forever, and his health has worsened considerably over the past year or two.
But it just seems so unreal right now, that he might not be here tomorrow, or in a week, while I am busy with my exams.
O well, I probably shouldn't think about it too much, there isn't much I can do except to live by the day. And hope for the best, whatever that is.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun May 16, 2010 8:30 pm UTC

My condolences, hope he gets better soon. :(
You will probably already know this, but often concessions can be made to students sitting exams with extenuating circumstances. Have you spoken to anyone in charge about that sort of thing?

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Sun May 16, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

Today I learned that I don't actually like summer.... Im more of a late spring kinda person.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sun May 16, 2010 10:31 pm UTC

I learned about this C:\Windows\Media\onestop.mid
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun May 16, 2010 10:44 pm UTC

Gears wrote:I learned about this C:\Windows\Media\onestop.mid

What is that? I don't understand, why does it exist? WTF?
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Sun May 16, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

Today - or more accurately, last night - I learned that even grown 40-year-old men with wives and kids can turn into childish, insensitive douches when given Internet access and a Facebook account.

I also learned that The Guild is pretty awesome, and by extension, that I'm a pretty big nerd. And I'm definitely okay with that.
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon May 17, 2010 1:17 am UTC

Whelan wrote:

Windows has long included a couple of sounds and midi files... mostly for testing purposes (so you can check if your sound card is working) and similar tasks. Older Windowses (3.x, 9x) had canyon.mid, newer ones (since ME, I think? No idea about the older NTs) have onestop/town/flourish. No idea why those particular songs, though. onestop and canyon are decent to listen to, though.

Also: of the top 10 Google results for "onestop.mid", 2 are recordings of the song on YouTube, 2 are "what's the point of this thing?" and 6 are "hey, check out this cool thing I found"...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Mon May 17, 2010 2:12 am UTC

Today I Learned that one éclair is delicious. Three éclairs, on the other hand, are less so.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

.Salo.

Postby .Salo. » Mon May 17, 2010 2:59 am UTC

I learned that a robust squirt of hot sauce (and a little blue cheese) in the eye socket isn't as bad as I previously imagined

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon May 17, 2010 6:18 am UTC

Yesterday I learned how RSA encryption works, and how its effectiveness can be proved. (Also how to use the Rabin-Miller primality test.)
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

she-ra

Postby she-ra » Mon May 17, 2010 10:38 am UTC

The difference between programme and program.
Without me the world would be doomed.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 17, 2010 12:48 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
Whelan wrote:

Windows has long included a couple of sounds and midi files... mostly for testing purposes (so you can check if your sound card is working) and similar tasks. Older Windowses (3.x, 9x) had canyon.mid, newer ones (since ME, I think? No idea about the older NTs) have onestop/town/flourish. No idea why those particular songs, though. onestop and canyon are decent to listen to, though.

Also: of the top 10 Google results for "onestop.mid", 2 are recordings of the song on YouTube, 2 are "what's the point of this thing?" and 6 are "hey, check out this cool thing I found"...
Yeah, given my quick scanthrough, it seems to hit most of the instruments .mid should reproduce, so... yeah. Soundcard testing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Cane

Postby Cane » Mon May 17, 2010 2:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
phlip wrote:
Whelan wrote:

Yeah, given my quick scanthrough, it seems to hit most of the instruments .mid should reproduce, so... yeah. Soundcard testing.

But mostly is just makes me want to play a SNES RPG.
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

.Salo.

Postby .Salo. » Tue May 18, 2010 12:01 am UTC

Today I learned that the best way to test an aircraft's ability to withstand bird strikes is with a Chicken Cannon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Cannon

liafrancis

Postby liafrancis » Tue May 18, 2010 12:09 am UTC

Today I learned two things. Sushi should not be dipped into a chocolate fountain.
And I found a new comic online! Happiness in leaps and bounds!
http://invisiblehairsuit.com/spider_rumor.htm

she-ra

Postby she-ra » Tue May 18, 2010 7:57 am UTC

In 2012 the Tri Nations Rugby Tournament is likely going to become the Four Nations Rugby Tournament with the addition of Argentina to the tournament. Should be interesting.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Tue May 18, 2010 9:01 am UTC

Today I learned that my wallet has textural detailing on the inside of the note-carrying pocket. I've had the wallet for about 5 years, how did I not notice this before?
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

she-ra

Postby she-ra » Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 am UTC

'Since the inception of the Rugby World Cup in 1987, Southern Hemisphere Nations Australia, New Zealand and South Africa have won five of the six tournaments held.'

Ha ha. You suck Northen Hemisphere!

olubunmi

Postby olubunmi » Tue May 18, 2010 11:12 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:My condolences, hope he gets better soon. :(
You will probably already know this, but often concessions can be made to students sitting exams with extenuating circumstances. Have you spoken to anyone in charge about that sort of thing?

Thanks.
Well, he passed away late last night, with my parents and grandmother present. My father came home and told me this morning. But now, I only just came home from my latin exam, and I'm home alone because my parents and brother are with my grandmother doing all things that have to be done.

I did tell them at school now, and they were very supportive, and we agreed that I'll tell them if I have to skip an exam, and that I can then make it half June, on the re-exams (uhm, how do you say that in English anyways). But I can't miss too much, so I'll have to make as much as I can.
This is just for when the funeral happens to be on a day I also got an exam. I don't know whether that's the case yet.

I feel pretty screwed up at the moment...

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Tue May 18, 2010 11:13 am UTC

According to work's web filter, Omegle is adult content. Surely that depends on what you talk about?
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue May 18, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

olubunmi wrote:I did tell them at school now, and they were very supportive, and we agreed that I'll tell them if I have to skip an exam, and that I can then make it half June, on the re-exams (uhm, how do you say that in English anyways).
Firstly, my condolences too. But lastly, in English they're called "re-sits" or resits, since we sit exams in English idiom.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 18, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:According to work's web filter, Omegle is adult content. Surely that depends on what you talk about?

Like most rating systems, the rating is judged by the harshest possible content. For example, let's say there was a movie about a young girl nervous about a basketball game the next day so she has a dream in which she can't seem to make it to the game because goblins and such keep blocking her path and she ends up having to put on a funny robe that becomes more and more like armor the more confident she becomes and uses a broken stick that becomes more and more like a sword the more determined she is to make it to the game and she wakes up having learned a lesson about confidence and determination and goes to the game and scores the winning points and her parents take her out to celebrate and they all seem to have a wonderful time and they put her to bed later that evening because she's just all tuckerd out and the whole thing is very G rated.

But then it closes by following the parents to their bedroom and five minutes of hardcore sex before it fades to black.

Movie's not going to get a G "All Ages" rating just because 95% of the movie is that. It's going to get whatever the hell it is they give adult movies these days. And probably a "What the fucking fuck!?" Razzie Award.
Last edited by SecondTalon on Tue May 18, 2010 7:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

she-ra

Postby she-ra » Tue May 18, 2010 2:50 pm UTC

I'd watch that movie.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue May 18, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Plasma Man wrote:According to work's web filter, Omegle is adult content. Surely that depends on what you talk about?

Like most rating systems, the rating is judged by the harshest possible content. For example, let's say there was a movie about a young girl nervous about a basketball game the next day so she has a dream in which she can't seem to make it to the game because goblins and such keep blocking her path and she ends up having to put on a funny robe that becomes more and more like armor the more confident she becomes and uses a broken stick that becomes more and more like a sword the more determined she is to make it to the game and she wakes up having learned a lesson about confidence and determination and goes to the game and scores the winning points and her parents take her out to celebrate and they all seem to have a wonderful time and they put her to bed later that evening because she's just all tuckerd out the whole thing is very G rated.

But then it closes by following the parents to their bedroom and five minutes of the mom wearing an 1890s nightgownhardcore sexbefore it fades to black.

Movie's not going to get a G "All Ages" rating just because 95% of the movie is that. It's going to get whatever the hell it is they give adult movies these days. And probably a "What the fucking fuck!?" Razzie Award.

You know how the MPAA rating system works, right?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 18, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

I left out the bribe money part of that.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 19, 2010 10:04 am UTC

emceng wrote:You know how the MPAA rating system works, right?

Random number generator?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed May 19, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
emceng wrote:You know how the MPAA rating system works, right?

Random number generator?

Actually, if you want an interesting story, listen to the commentary for the South Park movie. I will sum up.

Guys make movie, send it to MPAA for rating.
MPAA says NC-17.
Guys edit and resubmit(maybe a few times?)
MPAA says NC-17
Week before release, still NC-17
Honcho at movie studio calls MPAA ratings board
MPAA gives it R
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Thu May 20, 2010 12:34 pm UTC

my professor has no idea where he is :D
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu May 20, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Today I learned that my wallet has textural detailing on the inside of the note-carrying pocket. I've had the wallet for about 5 years, how did I not notice this before?

Because you're such a cheapskate?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu May 20, 2010 3:33 pm UTC

Today I learned that more of my clothes are unravelling. I am too stingy to buy new ones, so I suppose it's time to practise the old needlework.

Edit: also related is that I now have more socks with holes in them than I do socks without holes.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu May 20, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Today I learned that more of my clothes are unravelling. I am too stingy to buy new ones, so I suppose it's time to practise the old needlework.

Edit: also related is that I now have more socks with holes in them than I do socks without holes.

Just look in the dumpster out back. There may be a new shell in there for you - with free raccoon!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu May 20, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Edit: also related is that I now have more socks with holes in them than I do socks without holes.

I've given up on whole socks. My criteria has gradually gone towards "No more than 4 gargantuan holes and no holes near the toes where they keep getting stuck".
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu May 20, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

TIL:
1. That there are so many awesome bands out there that I need to listen to more often.
2. That I should brace myself for unexpected changes. Even if they might be potentially horrible and pain causing.
3. That yoga helps.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Cane

Postby Cane » Thu May 20, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Edit: also related is that I now have more socks with holes in them than I do socks without holes.

I've given up on whole socks. My criteria has gradually gone towards "No more than 4 gargantuan holes and no holes near the toes where they keep getting stuck".

I try to get at least three identical pairs so that I can throw out the singles that get the toe-stuck holes and still be able to make pairs.
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu May 20, 2010 7:25 pm UTC

Cane wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:

I try to get at least three identical pairs so that I can throw out the singles that get the toe-stuck holes and still be able to make pairs.

I have also given up on wearing even remotely similar-looking socks.

kingofdreams wrote:my professor has no idea where he is :D

I get that feeling from professors a lot.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Return to “General”