Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

gonzos

Re: Today I Learned

Postby gonzos » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:46 pm UTC

:mrgreen: Today I learned that father knows best, but mother is always right.

mishdepot

Postby mishdepot » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:07 pm UTC

That freezing some water bottles is a great way to pack for a picnic. As the water bottles thaw, they supply refreshing cold water to drink, while it keeps salads and other food cooll so it won't spoil. Love this simple idea!

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

Needs more Platypi!
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

mishdepot wrote:That freezing some water bottles is a great way to pack for a picnic. As the water bottles thaw, they supply refreshing cold water to drink, while it keeps salads and other food cooll so it won't spoil. Love this simple idea!

That is indeed a (aha aha) refreshing idea. :D
Ptolom wrote:penis

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

We do that for school, take a bottle of ice in, and by lunch it's mostly cold water. Condensation is a worry though.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

mishdepot wrote:That freezing some water bottles is a great way to pack for a picnic. As the water bottles thaw, they supply refreshing cold water to drink, while it keeps salads and other food cooll so it won't spoil. Love this simple idea!

Depending on the material of the bottle, that may be a pretty bad idea. Certain materials (mostly glass bottles I think) tend to break from the change in pressure.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

Only if they're sealed, or the change in temperature is pretty quick, which it shouldn't be. With plastic water bottles though, icing them up can knock out the dents they accumulate.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

gonzos wrote::mrgreen: Today I learned that father knows best, but mother is always right.

For the sake of our pink and fluffy Lord, don't tell my kids! (even if you are a spambot). Mine still haven't noticed I'm making most of this shit up.

TIL: D'ya know, if you blow a headlamp bulb on a volvo, you have to take the car to a bloody volvo dealership to get the sodding thing changed. Seriously, unless you are Eugene Tooms there is no way you are going to get your hand in to change that sucker. That's one they don't put in the brochure.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:34 pm UTC

My car is like that. Solutions: remove the headlight to do it (usually requires front bumper removal as well), or buy cars with HID bulbs. Neither are easy solutions, as you can see. :?
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:14 am UTC

Jumble wrote:TIL: D'ya know, if you blow a headlamp bulb on a volvo, you have to take the car to a bloody volvo dealership to get the sodding thing changed. Seriously, unless you are Eugene Tooms there is no way you are going to get your hand in to change that sucker. That's one they don't put in the brochure.

Is that an X-Files reference? If so, I salute you, sir. 8)

TIL: Excedrin and Starbucks, taken in considerable quantities and over a short duration, make me woozy and unfocused. This is not conducive to being productive at work (though I haven't decided if being sleepy and having a headache is any better).
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:18 am UTC

Last week (more this past weekend) I learned: Windows will not boot from a slave drive.

Sounds stupid, I know, but here's the backstory:

Back in mid-May I bought myself a laptop computer. It's a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit, 250 GB HDD, 2 GB RAM, AMD Sempron processor, and some other fancy features. Its original purpose was to serve as an accessory to the Dell Dimension 2300 desktop I have, using the Toshiba only when I want to surf the Interwebs outside of home, like during lunch at work. Over the last few weeks it has slowly been promoted to being my main computer.

That leaves me with an 8-year-old desktop. My parents suggested I sell it for parts on eBay. Not wanting to mess with eBay, I decided first I'd try to sell it to someone either at work, or to a friend of mine. Called the friend first. Told her I would sell her the desktop, including the monitor, mouse, keyboard, external DVD-RW drive, and USB hub, all for $200. Said I would need to format it, reinstall Windows XP, download updates, and reinstall some basic programs. She said she couldn't afford $200 at the moment (still paying on some hospital bills after she gave birth to a premature baby back in March or April, that died a week later), but she would love to take it when she could afford it. She had posted on her Facebook that she was getting the computer, once she could come up with $200. Her sister sent me a message, telling me she was going to start saving up for it, and buy it for her. A week later I was talking to my mom, and she suggested I give it to my friend for free. Since the computer is 8 years old, Microsoft will soon be no longer offering updates for XP, and all of the hardware is outdated, it seemed logical to give it to her for free. She can still save up for a new computer for when this one completely dies.

I called my friend two weeks ago and told her the good news. There was a long pause, followed by her being very happy. I could almost hear her jaw hit the floor during that pause. I went to work on formatting the old 18-GB hard drive, reinstalled XP, reinstalled some other programs, including drivers, downloaded updates, and had it ready.

Earlier in June, my parents began updating their own computers. After the dust settled from all the chaos, an 80-GB hard drive remained without a home. It was in my mom's computer, as a slave drive she used for extra storage. My dad popped it in the Dell, and I had to reinstall XP and all other things again. Little did I know that it was still configured as a slave drive. When I tried to boot up the computer, I got the following message:

"PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD....."

Fuck.

Tried reinstalling XP for a third and fourth time. Went into the BIOS. Looked at the boot order. Number 1 was the hard disk. Check. 2 was the CD-ROM. OK. 3 was the floppy. Fine. At one point the BIOS didn't even find the hard drive. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. Finally asked parents what was going on. Dad said the drive was probably missing a jumper. Sure enough, it was. He took the one off the old hard drive, put it on the new, and when I booted up, Windows XP loaded just fine.

Ran updater again, downloaded and/or installed some extra programs, including Firefox, even though she doesn't have Internet just yet. Still have a couple more programs to install, then will run Updates one final time this Friday night. Will be taking it down to her house this weekend, and setting it up. Her sister is giving her a fairly new ink jet printer with built-in scanner. Also bought my friend an external hard drive, and will set up the scheduled backups. She said they can pick up WiFi in her house so I may take the laptop down there, if I need to do anything from it. She's never used Firefox (don't know if she's heard of it) so she will get a crash course in Firefox 101, and she will also learn how it's better than even the most recent version of Internet Explorer.

She said her husband won't be using it much, but the mother-in-law probably would, mainly for Solitaire. I've got a few other games on there, in case she gets bored with Solitaire.
PRG

An important message for you:

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:02 pm UTC

Last night I learned my girlfriend is a very slutty drunk.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

Today I learned it will cost me ~£250 to replace my steering wheel with the proper type.

Ain't worth it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

Gears wrote:Last night I learned my girlfriend is a very slutty drunk.

Interesting...
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:47 pm UTC

Not for me. Also learned of the play on words that is You, Sir, Name?'s username.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

Gears wrote:Also learned of the play on words that is You, Sir, Name?'s username.

Holy shit, I never noticed that before. :shock:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Gears wrote:Also learned of the play on words that is You, Sir, Name?'s username.

Holy shit, I never noticed that before. :shock:

It's neat isn't it?
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

There was a mind-blow cascade about my username in some thread a while back o_O. I didn't think it was that sneaky a username. I wanted to register as "username", but someone already had, so I signed up with something homophonic.

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

Today I learned: don't ever try running and blowing bubbles with bubblegum... it's a PITA to get gum off your shirt and out of your hair... :shock:
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:31 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:There was a mind-blow cascade about my username in some thread a while back o_O. I didn't think it was that sneaky a username. I wanted to register as "username", but someone already had, so I signed up with something homophonic.
I was in the early stages of that cascade. Your name is the most insidious homophone of recent days.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:41 am UTC

TIL: All those awesome things they say about SSDs? Yeah, they're not lying.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Cahojama

Postby Cahojama » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

existential_squirrrel wrote:Today I learned: don't ever try running and blowing bubbles with bubblegum... it's a PITA to get gum off your shirt and out of your hair... :shock:

Well, At least you weren't running with scissors. I hear those are even harder to get out.
"There's a much simpler way of slowing time. You'll work it out eventually, and then wonder what all the fuss was about."

Incompetent

Postby Incompetent » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:There was a mind-blow cascade about my username in some thread a while back o_O. I didn't think it was that sneaky a username. I wanted to register as "username", but someone already had, so I signed up with something homophonic.

It's not sneaky, it's fried gold!

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:20 am UTC

That making out can and WILL ALWAYS be walked in on. Even if you are at home, and your parents live in another city, and your roommate is in Florida on vacation.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:27 pm UTC

How unfit I really am D:
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

Today I Learned : In the native land of Simo Häyhä* it is apparently illegal for a civilian to own pepper spray.

Huh.

*For a more colorful retelling, try the Cracked version (NSFW language and possibly semi NSFW ads, if that matters)
Last edited by SecondTalon on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

micco

Postby micco » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:50 pm UTC

Actually, I was wrong about that. Today I learned that apparently it is legal to have a pepper spray in your car or home, but you are not allowed to carry it around with you in public places or spaces.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

So it's a home/car defense weapon, then. Still interesting in it's own way! .. because it seems more like the kind of nonlethal weapon that would be useful to carry around, rather than something that requires more training like a taser or stungun would.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:55 am UTC

Today I learned that Elmo is actually a cool black dude called Kevin (whom my housemate has declared he has a small crush on after watching this vid):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY_sl1R3 ... re=related

Cane

Postby Cane » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:38 pm UTC

He was a guest on NPR's Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me. Funny dude.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6169709
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:08 pm UTC

I just listened to that and my head exploded with cute.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:34 pm UTC

Yesterday I learned that if you manage to crash a DVD burner (not hard, really), unplugging it while the machine is still on won't help much. The power supply doesn't like that.

The other day I learned why random draws often have a "skill-testing question" that tests whether you've passed grade one - it's a legal loophole. Choosing randomly from everyone who enters makes it a lottery, but choosing randomly from everyone who ties for first place in a contest doesn't - even if there is no second place, no limit to the number of people who can place, and placing first is ridiculously easy. Much less paperwork (and presumably taxes etc) for a contest than for a lottery.

A while ago I learned that not all canned food lasts forever, even if it has no date on the can.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Cane

Postby Cane » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:18 pm UTC

Cracked Presents "6Things from History Everyone Pictures Incorrectly"
Highlights are "The Pyramids Were Smooth, White and Shiny" and "Greek Statues Were Brightly Painted", not just white marble.

Also featured are hypothetical images of Jesus Christ looking like Zohar's older brother.

(This post previously found in "How did I never notice...", but this thread is more appropriate.)
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

That doesn't look like Uri at all!
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Cane

Postby Cane » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:09 pm UTC

Errr . . . Zohar's . . . um . . . cousin . . . that he's never met?

It does look a little like you, right?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:08 pm UTC

Not really, no.

Also, Zohar's better looking.

That's right, I said it.

Zohar : Better looking than Jesus.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

Well, he's got the hair and the beard. If you have the hair and beard of public-perception Jesus, people will associate your appearance with that of Jesus.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

Behold!
Spoiler:
gallery73.jpg
SecondTalon Age .. uh.. 23?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:17 pm UTC

I once got called Jesus with my hair tied back, my face shaved and a long black coat on. Incidentally, I also got called a wizard, neo, van helsing and a pirate so there we are.
Ⓞⓞ◯

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

Long hair and beard? I can play this game!

Spoiler:
hey seuss.jpg
hey seuss.jpg (5.87 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Return to “General”