Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

podbaydoor

Re: Today I Learned

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

I've never in my life craved KFC. I think I've eaten at it only twice and don't really remember either time. Give me homemade fried chicken any day. Eaten on a picnic blanket spread out at the park on a sunny day. With watermelon slices to follow.

summer is here...
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

My mother makes abso-fucking-lutely delicious fried chicken.

Okay, now I want that instead. Damn it.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

mjm

Postby mjm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

I agree that the only things worth eating at KFC are the biscuits.

Calling a biscuit a scone is like calling a leadholder a mechanical pencil. I mean, they're similar in principle, but much different in practice.

Even the northern baking powder biscuit, the likes of which Alton Brown* sneers at, is more buttery than any scone I've eaten. Proper biscuits are flaky and of course unsweetened. To all UKians: Just find a recipe, bake some, and educate your friends.

*And he's just a poser anyway...

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

Yeah, I'd say that scones are a bit sweeter than the American biscuit.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

roband

Postby roband » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

Another thing on the list of foods-to-eat-when-I-go-to-America.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:I wonder how often this controversy comes up here.

Every couple of months. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

We clearly need a thread for "Anglophone food nomenclature"

mjm

Postby mjm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

And one for a food exchange

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:50 pm UTC

paired with

Southern country heaven.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

Damnit podbaydoor, now I'm hungry. :(
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:59 pm UTC

M1k3_Nix wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:Cookies are a type of biscuit, this having a legal definition in UK law. Saying otherwise in products on the UK market is therefore illegal I think.

Though we've been over all this before, that still seems like saying that a pie is a subform of sandwich.

if we want pie analogies, im sure the cookie to biscuit relationship is akin to that of the pasty to pie

a pasty is a type of pie, so all pasties are pies, but not all pies are pasties
a cookie is a type of biscuit, so all cookies are biscuits, but not all biscuits are cookies

if the above analogies seem deluded and incomprehensible, i apologise, but i am not very well and suffering from alack of sleep

- Mike

:x Blasphemer. (I'm from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and we take our pasties seriously)

I don't know if you misspelled pastry or what, but a pasty is certainly not a pie. (Perhaps another british-american thing - pies in the US are always sweet unless denoted as a 'pot pie' which typically has gravy, potatoes, veggies, and some sort of meat)
This is a pastry (pay-stree):
This is a pasty (pass-tee):

A pastry is sweet, had a sweet dough, often has fruit or jam. A pasty is savory - typically containing beef, pork, potatoes, onion, rutabagas (another root plant, sometimes called swede or yellow turnip), occasionally carrots, etc.

Just an FYI - most of America has no clue what pasties are. They're kind of a northern thing here - they were originally made for the miners lunch - all the food groups in a package. In fact, the crust is supposed to be really thick at the seam because the miners would hold onto that part with their dirty hands and eat the rest. Also, they could be used to keep the hands warm too, until it cooled off or you ate it.

If you're a true Yooper (someone from the UP), you eat your pasty plain or with ketchup. Otherwise, it's sometimes served with gravy.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:Five seconds of google later: there doesn't seem to be an 'official' word for coughing and sneezing at the same time.

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:Cookies are a type of biscuit, this having a legal definition in UK law. Saying otherwise in products on the UK market is therefore illegal I think.

Though we've been over all this before, that still seems like saying that a pie is a subform of sandwich.
Cookies are a type of biscuit? I thought cookies were biscuits and biscuits were cookies, at least in New Zealand English? What's the difference between a cookie and a biscuit? I guess I wouldn't call a toffee-pop a cookie, the only realy difference being that it's too damn hard to make it home, whereas cookies seem to be mostly of the home-made chocolate chip variety.

Well, I'm not sure I'd call things like Rich Tea or Digestives 'cookies'. To me, 'cookie' evokes images of this sort of thing.

Oh wow. Thank you. I had assumed for I think years that the user with Lionel Rich Tea as his userpic was referencing something, but I just kept parsing the guy as having a Ritz cracker on his head.

I am being completely serious when I say this actually constitutes a load off my mind.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

ViKing

Postby ViKing » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

TIL: Common languages aren't.

KestrelLowing wrote:I don't know if you misspelled pastry or what, but a pasty is certainly not a pie. (Perhaps another british-american thing - pies in the US are always sweet unless denoted as a 'pot pie' which typically has gravy, potatoes, veggies, and some sort of meat)
In Britain you're default pie is usually savoury, but can be sweet. A "pot" pie is either specifically made in a pot, or has another ingredient.

At least pasty and pastry apparently mean the same things.
Three slips and a gully.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

ViKing wrote:TIL: Common languages aren't.

KestrelLowing wrote:I don't know if you misspelled pastry or what, but a pasty is certainly not a pie. (Perhaps another british-american thing - pies in the US are always sweet unless denoted as a 'pot pie' which typically has gravy, potatoes, veggies, and some sort of meat)
In Britain you're default pie is usually savoury, but can be sweet. A "pot" pie is either specifically made in a pot, or has another ingredient.

At least pasty and pastry apparently mean the same things.

TIL: People actually know what pasties are across the pond!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:I wonder how often this controversy comes up here.

Every couple of months. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

We clearly need a thread for "Anglophone food nomenclature"

So... I should modify this one?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Southern country heaven.
You're missing

and

And probably some other stuff.

And now I realize how long it's been since I've had fried okra.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:33 pm UTC

Searched for scone and biscuit recipes. Obviously varies between recipes. Chose the "Basic Scone" recipe and the "Southern Style Biscuit" recipe.

Begin with this shared recipe:
2 cups of all purpose flour
2 (1/2) teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 teaspoons of salt
2 tablespoons of butter
400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes.
(Creates twelve of something with an unknown size.)

To make the scone:
+ 2 (1/2) cups of flour
+ 3/4 cup of white sugar
+ 5 teaspoons of baking powder
+ 1 cup of butter
+ 1 (1/4) cups of milk
+ 1 (1/2) eggs
+ 3-5 minutes cook time

To make the biscuit:
+ 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
+ 3/4 cup of buttermilk
+ 1/4 teaspoon of salt
+ 1/4 cup of lard/vegetable shortening
+ 50 degrees Fahrenheit

Note the sugar in the scones, as has already been said, if nothing else.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

Oh, I'm aware that I left huge portions of the picnic out. Don't forget that there should be plenty of
also.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:36 pm UTC

Absolutely. And the seeds are a must so that your grandpa can tell you stories of swallowing watermelon seeds and one growing in your stomach (also so that you can spit them at siblings and cousins).

On the other hand, my grandpa's preferred dessert was chocolate cake and pinto beans.

No, I have no idea either.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

He got some burrito into his cake maybe?

deskjethp

Postby deskjethp » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:21 am UTC

TI(re)learned that it is best to wait for about 5 days before shaving if using a razor that hasn't had its blade changed after 30 months of continuous use. After only 2 days the hair is too short yet.
arbivark wrote:when i was first a tenant at 19, i was probably a nuisance .. a bother, to the landlord because i'd do stuff like, hey there's a fireplace here, get me a hammer, hey if i make a hole in my ceiling there's an attic that runs the length of the rowhouses.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:49 am UTC

deskjethp wrote:TI(re)learned that it is best to wait for about 5 days before shaving if using a razor that hasn't had its blade changed after 30 months of continuous use. After only 2 days the hair is too short yet.

... ew. Get a new razor!

TIL how to use VIM! Oh me yarm this is ridiculous! And strangely addictively awesome. I want to write all my documents in VIM now... ohgod I'm a geek. <3
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Kaleid

Postby Kaleid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

That I am very bad at playing Swain on League of Legends.

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

TIL: it is possible to fuck up instant oatmeal when you cook it in the microwave
YIL: I can sleep until nearly 3:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time

after reading all the discussions about food I learned... I'm much hungrier than I thought. I will finish my postings and get some lunch
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

Kang

Postby Kang » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

TIL: wearing a bush hat in a temperate urban environment makes people give me odd looks. But the weekend was hot and yesterday there was a thunderstorm! The climate here is tropic enough!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

Kang wrote:... bush hat ...

Can you be more specific?

Is it bad that I don't think any of those hats look particularly odd?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Kang wrote:... bush hat ...

Can you be more specific?

It's badass that I don't think any of those hats look particularly odd.

ftfy :P

Kang

Postby Kang » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Can you be more specific?

Is it bad that I don't think any of those hats look particularly odd?

Something like this
i'd say. The approaching summer made me acquire it in temporary replacement for my black 'blues brothers' hat, I wear in winter.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:42 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote: :x Blasphemer. (I'm from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and we take our pasties seriously)

A pastry is sweet, had a sweet dough, often has fruit or jam. A pasty is savory - typically containing beef, pork, potatoes, onion, rutabagas (another root plant, sometimes called swede or yellow turnip), occasionally carrots, etc.

Just an FYI - most of America has no clue what pasties are. They're kind of a northern thing here - they were originally made for the miners lunch - all the food groups in a package. In fact, the crust is supposed to be really thick at the seam because the miners would hold onto that part with their dirty hands and eat the rest. Also, they could be used to keep the hands warm too, until it cooled off or you ate it.

If you're a true Yooper (someone from the UP), you eat your pasty plain or with ketchup. Otherwise, it's sometimes served with gravy.

I'll have you know that the pastie is a British invention. Don't try to imply otherwise. :P
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:18 am UTC

TIL: It turns out we don't know how much can a human body tolerate when the atmospheric pressure of the air raises tenfold, hundredfold or a thousandfold.

Or so I think.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:35 am UTC

RoadieRich wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote: :x Blasphemer. (I'm from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and we take our pasties seriously)

I'll have you know that the pastie is a British invention. Don't try to imply otherwise. :P

Oh, sorry. Didn't mean too. The UP has just kind of adopted it - like New York and Chicago adopted pizza. Somehow it got associated with the Scandinavian people up here though. Out of curiosity, what kind of condiments, if any, are used in Britain?

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:36 am UTC

I seem to recall some sort of creamy goop that they eat there that I'd never really seen here. Not quite a condiment, but a topping of sorts I think. Vague description, I know, but anyone have any clue what I'm talking about? Perhaps Whelan or It Should Be Real, seeing as how you were the ones who made it?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:25 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:
RoadieRich wrote:

Oh, sorry. Didn't mean too. The UP has just kind of adopted it - like New York and Chicago adopted pizza. Somehow it got associated with the Scandinavian people up here though. Out of curiosity, what kind of condiments, if any, are used in Britain?

Acutally moving to Cornwall in the summer, as most of the step family all live down they. And they always have tomato ketchup
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.

"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

D.B.

Postby D.B. » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:46 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote: Out of curiosity, what kind of condiments, if any, are used in Britain?

M1k3_Nix wrote:Acutally moving to Cornwall in the summer, as most of the step family all live down they. And they always have tomato ketchup

That and brown sauce are the most common. If one asks nicely mayo is sometimes available.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:05 am UTC

TIL the train to London is much cheaper from a different train station (that is just as easy for me to get to) than the one I usually go from.
Like, we're talking literally half the price.
Edit: and I think it might be faster, too. Man I should go to London more often.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:58 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:Edit: and I think it might be faster, too. Man I should go to London more often.

I should too - just waiting for them to perfect the under-ocean train.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:58 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:I seem to recall some sort of creamy goop that they eat there that I'd never really seen here. Not quite a condiment, but a topping of sorts I think. Vague description, I know, but anyone have any clue what I'm talking about? Perhaps Whelan or It Should Be Real, seeing as how you were the ones who made it?

Custard? Do you mean custard? Custard doesn't go with pasties. Pasties are a lone food, unsullied by condiments. Custard is for pie. Or cake. Or crumble.
However, ketchup, brown sauce and mayonaisse are the condiments of choice when used. Salt and Vinegar also.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
TimelordSimone wrote:Edit: and I think it might be faster, too. Man I should go to London more often.

I guess the Channel Tunnel doesn't count as 'under-ocean' then.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:
emceng wrote:

It goes underneath a body of water that isn't an ocean. So no, it doesn't count as "under-ocean".
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
TimelordSimone wrote:
emceng wrote:

It goes underneath a body of water that isn't an ocean. So no, it doesn't count as "under-ocean".

Pfft. Sea, ocean, lake, whatever. :P
I mostly lurk. Hello.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:42 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:
e^iπ+1=0 wrote:I seem to recall some sort of creamy goop that they eat there that I'd never really seen here. Not quite a condiment, but a topping of sorts I think. Vague description, I know, but anyone have any clue what I'm talking about? Perhaps Whelan or It Should Be Real, seeing as how you were the ones who made it?

Custard? Do you mean custard? Custard doesn't go with pasties. Pasties are a lone food, unsullied by condiments. Custard is for pie. Or cake. Or crumble.
However, ketchup, brown sauce and mayonaisse are the condiments of choice when used. Salt and Vinegar also.

Maybe? I'm fairly sure I made up some of the details, so it's a wonder you got anything even close.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Return to “General”