Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Ptolom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:12 pm UTC

No, it is right, I have read the same thing elsewhere. The difficult part is remembering which one is which.

User avatar
RoadieRich
The Black Hand
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am UTC
Location: Behind you

Re: Today I Learned

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

casoid wrote:
e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
casoid wrote:TIL: My boss gets extraordinarily upset if someone misuses "due to" versus "owing to".

What's the difference? I thought they were basically interchangeable, both meaning more or less "because of".


It turns out that "owing to" is used for verbal reasons, and "due to" is used for adjectival reasons. As in, "I walked into the wall owing to the fact that I was looking the wrong way" as opposed to "I walked into the wall due to the fact that it was made of very clean glass".

Congratulations - you are now among the tiny percentile of the English-speaking population who knows this. And regardless of whether or not you care (probably not), you can't un-learn it.

Unless you forget by this evening.

Edit: Oh, look, a wormhole to the language and linguistics forum. I do apologise.

TIL that again, my English Language education is sub-par: I don't see what the difference is. Other than "I was" versus "it was". Is that it?
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Ptolom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:40 pm UTC

It's because "clean" is an adjective (in this case) and "looking" is a verb.

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Today I Learned

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:54 pm UTC

Yeah, alright, I found other people saying the same thing. Still, it doesn't seem like it matters much any more, due to the fact that language evolves and it's been widely accepted. :wink:
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Ptolom » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:36 am UTC

But, given that you have to pick one, you may as well pick the correct one.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby phlip » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:42 am UTC

This is the fun part of descriptive linguistics... if 99% of the population doesn't know or follow a rule, and can't tell when a rule is broken, the rule doesn't exist.

If you look up where the rule came from, chances are it was just some prescriptive guy making stuff up that they thought sounded better, and it isn't actually a rule that people followed at any point. Like split infinitives, or prepositions ending sentences.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Shivahn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:48 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:But, given that you have to pick one, you may as well pick the correct one.

The correct one is whichever gets your point across.

Which for everyone except the boss in question is whichever is less awkward.

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Today I Learned

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:59 am UTC

phlip wrote:If you look up where the rule came from, chances are it was just some prescriptive guy making stuff up that they thought sounded better, and it isn't actually a rule that people followed at any point. Like split infinitives, or prepositions ending sentences.

TIL: There's no rule against split infinitives or prepositions ending sentences.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby phlip » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:14 am UTC

My stance on things like split infinitives, prepositions at the end of sentences, passive voice, and similar non-rules, is: they can sometimes be awkward, and if you can rearrange the sentence to remove them and make the sentence less awkward, do so. But don't make the sentence more awkward just to avoid them. Of course, that applies to pretty much anything that can make a sentence awkward, and not just the specific things that some guy a few hundred years ago decided to write a rulebook about.

Case in point: the standard dance of "specific things about which a guy decided to write a rulebook" is much more awkward, and therefore dumb. Getting rid of the final preposition in a non-awkward way would involve rearranging it entirely into "a guy decided to write a rulebook about these specific things"... I believe that's the order that the guy had in mind when he made the "no final prepositions" rule... but to do so would require a fundamental restructuring of the sentence and would heavily change the emphasis, so probably not worth the effort.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Mous
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 am UTC
Location: Virginia

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Mous » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:26 am UTC

My high school english teacher used to dock off points any time you used split infinitives (or any infinitives) and passive voice. It annoyed me a lot, since I was taking Latin at the time and infinitives and passive tenses are quite common there.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

User avatar
RoadieRich
The Black Hand
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am UTC
Location: Behind you

Re: Today I Learned

Postby RoadieRich » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:19 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:It's because "clean" is an adjective (in this case) and "looking" is a verb.

Ahh. It clicks into places: "verbal" as in "to do with verbs", not "spoken".
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Kang » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Huh, looks like revving too high is bad for the engine (I didn't think it wasn't, I just hadn't considered that situation). The rev limiter will shut off your engine in some way (cut the fuel, cut the spark plugs, etc.) if the RPMs get too high. And revving too high without a limiter is indeed dangerous. I guess that's my TIL.

What kind of car do you have Mous? My takes less than two seconds to drop back to idle from a decent rev.

Just saying because this post reminded me of it:
A while back I learned: trying to stop an engine equipped with a supercharger by just cutting power to the spark plugs results in what Dwarf Fortress players would call fun.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Today I Learned

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:37 pm UTC

Lava?

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

I assume Death (of the engine) and Losing (money needed to replace it)

Or perhaps the reaction was not unlike Hidden Fun Stuff?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

I was gonna guess frustration, confusion and flying over my head.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

And the real answer is probably a combination of all listed options.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Kulantan
Posts: 999
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 9:24 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere witty

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Kulantan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

!!Engine!!
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Kang » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

The answer is death of the engine and severe injury to vehicle occupants and bystanders.

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Hawknc » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

Kang wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:Huh, looks like revving too high is bad for the engine (I didn't think it wasn't, I just hadn't considered that situation). The rev limiter will shut off your engine in some way (cut the fuel, cut the spark plugs, etc.) if the RPMs get too high. And revving too high without a limiter is indeed dangerous. I guess that's my TIL.

What kind of car do you have Mous? My takes less than two seconds to drop back to idle from a decent rev.

Just saying because this post reminded me of it:
A while back I learned: trying to stop an engine equipped with a supercharger by just cutting power to the spark plugs results in what Dwarf Fortress players would call fun.

What the hell kind of hillbilly setup were you running that allowed you to do that?

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: Today I Learned

Postby TimelordSimone » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

TIL: The voice of Meg(ara) in Disney's Hercules is also the voice of Lin in the English dub of Spirited Away. (I thought she sounded familiar, so I looked it up. She's also in a bunch of other stuff I've never seen.)
I mostly lurk. Hello.

User avatar
Marauder_Pilot
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:45 am UTC
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Marauder_Pilot » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:30 am UTC

Kang wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:Huh, looks like revving too high is bad for the engine (I didn't think it wasn't, I just hadn't considered that situation). The rev limiter will shut off your engine in some way (cut the fuel, cut the spark plugs, etc.) if the RPMs get too high. And revving too high without a limiter is indeed dangerous. I guess that's my TIL.

What kind of car do you have Mous? My takes less than two seconds to drop back to idle from a decent rev.

Just saying because this post reminded me of it:
A while back I learned: trying to stop an engine equipped with a supercharger by just cutting power to the spark plugs results in what Dwarf Fortress players would call fun.


And what have we learned?

User avatar
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Deva » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:17 am UTC

Marauder_Pilot wrote:And what have we learned?

Wheel of Morality, turn, turn, turn. Tell us the lesson that we should learn. Moral number five. Is…

"Brush your teeth after every meal."

Shrugs. Do not ask me.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

User avatar
Mous
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 am UTC
Location: Virginia

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Mous » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:05 am UTC

Today I ventured into LSR for the first time in a long time, and I was surprised to learn that there are quite a few virgins in the fora.
Also, I think there should be a "how'd you lose it" thread, because I love those stories. *cough*
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

User avatar
bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:14 am UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby bluebambue » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:57 am UTC

Mous wrote:Today I ventured into LSR for the first time in a long time, and I was surprised to learn that there are quite a few virgins in the fora.
Also, I think there should be a "how'd you lose it" thread, because I love those stories. *cough*

tada!

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:12 am UTC

casoid wrote:
e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
casoid wrote:TIL: My boss gets extraordinarily upset if someone misuses "due to" versus "owing to".

What's the difference? I thought they were basically interchangeable, both meaning more or less "because of".


It turns out that "owing to" is used for verbal reasons, and "due to" is used for adjectival reasons. As in, "I walked into the wall owing to the fact that I was looking the wrong way" as opposed to "I walked into the wall due to the fact that it was made of very clean glass".

Congratulations - you are now among the tiny percentile of the English-speaking population who knows this. And regardless of whether or not you care (probably not), you can't un-learn it.

Unless you forget by this evening.

Edit: Oh, look, a wormhole to the language and linguistics forum. I do apologise.

I like how you know the distinction between "due to" and "owing to", but still manage to confuse the words "percentile" and "percentage".

Regards,

Der Grammatikführer :mrgreen:
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:23 pm UTC

Today I learned that there is such a thing as a bollock dagger. Ouch.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

User avatar
Goldstein
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: Newcastle, UK

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Goldstein » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

It doesn't appear to have been named in the same fashion as bread knife, mind.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Today I Learned

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:52 pm UTC

Does that make bollock daggers the "manliest", since they're supposed to resemble bollocks? >.>

User avatar
RoadieRich
The Black Hand
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am UTC
Location: Behind you

Re: Today I Learned

Postby RoadieRich » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

Yeah, they're named for the round, ball-shaped guards, not any specific usage. They're popular among re-enactors because the name always gets a bit of a titter.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

casoid
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:36 am UTC
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Today I Learned

Postby casoid » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

I like how you know the distinction between "due to" and "owing to", but still manage to confuse the words "percentile" and "percentage".

Regards,

Der Grammatikführer :mrgreen:


...I'll get my coat.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

RoadieRich wrote:titter
<_<
>_>
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

That using tween instead of triton results in two weeks worth of lost work! Yay!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
RoadieRich
The Black Hand
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am UTC
Location: Behind you

Re: Today I Learned

Postby RoadieRich » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
RoadieRich wrote:titter
<_<
>_>

tit·ter/ˈtitər/
Noun: A short, half-suppressed laugh.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:50 pm UTC

Oh, I know what it means. I was amused by using a word with 'tit' in it to describe others' reactions to a bollock dagger.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
Mous
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 am UTC
Location: Virginia

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Mous » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

I'm shamefully amused by: "In use, the bollock dagger was similar to the Scottish dirk."
Not that dirk is a sexual word it just... sounds like one.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

User avatar
Cloud Walker
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:37 am UTC
Location: Midwest, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Cloud Walker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:33 am UTC

Mous wrote:I'm shamefully amused by: "In use, the bollock dagger was similar to the Scottish dirk."
Not that dirk is a sexual word it just... sounds like one.


Oh it certainly is for some. . .
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

User avatar
KestrelLowing
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:57 pm UTC
Location: Michigan

Re: Today I Learned

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:03 am UTC

TIL:
That just because you could crank out 3 pages of a paper in one hour when you were regularly writing papers 4 years ago does not mean you can still do it. It's not like riding a bike. If you haven't been writing papers lately, you're going to be lucky for 1.5 pages an hour - max. Also, I really shouldn't put an 8 page paper off to the last minute. It's due tomorrow by midnight, but I work tomorrow and my boyfriend is visiting. I really don't want him to drive for 6 hours just to watch me write a stupid paper.

It's going to be a long night.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:25 am UTC

TIL that a large hot chocolate plus a generously-sized slab of belgian fudge cake for breakfast, while satisfying, does make one a bit queasy.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby phlip » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

Thanks to this video coming up in today's ICT thread, TIL that I've been pronouncing "octopodes" wrong for years.

This new information makes "platypodes" considerably more awkward to say...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:56 pm UTC

phlip wrote:Thanks to this video coming up in today's ICT thread, TIL that I've been pronouncing "octopodes" wrong for years.

This new information makes "platypodes" considerably more awkward to say...

Oh, fuck. I feel incredibly stupid now.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests