Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Re: Today I Learned

Postby RoadieRich » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

Robert'); DROP TABLE *; wrote:TIL: there is such a thing as haggis sandwich.

Next: Deep fry it.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

If it exists, it can be put between two slices of $breadproduct.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

gingermrkettle

Postby gingermrkettle » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:If it exists, it can be put between two slices of $breadproduct.

Probably been mentioned before, but http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/jun/16/tesco-lasagne-sandwich-lasandwich-why

ExplodingHat

Postby ExplodingHat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:47 pm UTC

"It... It is so beautiful. You are so bewitched by its beauty, you are not sure if you can wield it. You weep in each other's arms at its beauty."
Some call it luck, I call it "subconscious planning".

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:51 pm UTC

TIL that my sensitivity to alcohol increases significantly if, for 5 days in a row, I only have 1-2 glasses of wine per day. Today's after-dinner glass gave me quite a noticeable buzz!
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:54 am UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:TIL that my sensitivity to alcohol increases significantly if, for 5 days in a row, I only have 1-2 glasses of wine per day. Today's after-dinner glass gave me quite a noticeable buzz!

Excuse me, but several units are little?
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:26 pm UTC

I don't understand what you're asking :(

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

The implication is that 1-2 glasses of wine a day is a significant enough cutback to your normal drinking habits that your tolerance begins to drop. The implication being that your usual habits are more of 1-2 bottles or some other large volume.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

As in, you're an alcoholic!
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

Ah. Well, 1-2 glasses a day (for men)(red wine) is recommended. So, while I occasionally drink more, there's a bit of space between "healthy amount" and "so much that it's causing you problems".

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

Recommended? By whom? (I might learn something today).
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

SourceOne wrote:The alcohol and certain substances in red wine called antioxidants may help prevent heart disease by increasing levels of "good" cholesterol and protecting against artery damage.

SourceTwo wrote:Researchers have found that men who drink an average of four to seven glasses of red wine per week are only 52% as likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer as those who do not drink red wine

Is not widely recommended, supposedly. Suggests that the possibility of excessive consumption is the reason. Lacks convincing evidence, also. Tested mainly on animals.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

Thank you, Deva. :) I seem to remember there was some thing about looking at Frenchmen's diet habits and their hospital records to conclude that "oh, wine and steaks all the time is great for you" which turned out not to be true, also.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:14 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure the benefits from wine drinking can be found in grape juice drinking.

Sorry if I was unclear, my phone makes long answers a pain. I'm just bewildered of the notion of drinking alcohol every day.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:Recommended? By whom? (I might learn something today).

The writers of this book:

Resveratrol: This is a flavonoid found in red wine that seems to decrease the aging of the DNA in mitochondria - the cell's energy plant. Those flavonoids act as an antioxidant, which helps reduce aging of the arteries and the immune system. Red wine especially has this benefit because it's the grape's skin that contains resveratrol, and red wine has been in contact with the skin of the grape for a longer time than has white wine (which is why it's red). To get the maximum RealAge benefits (up to 1.9 years younger), drink alcohol in moderate amounts - one to two glasses a day if you're a man, one half to one glass a day if you're a woman.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:00 pm UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol wrote:Despite the mainstream press alleging resveratrol's anti-aging effects,[4] there are no accepted data to form a scientific basis for the application of these claims to mammals (see life extension section below). At the present time, research on resveratrol is in its infancy and the long-term effects of supplementation in humans are not known.[5][6]

That four goes to an article about trying to figure out how longevity work, which includes a tiny mention of resveratrol (which they call a drug, I'm not sure if that is consistent with the way other things call it, but I'm not very good with terms) being good for the longevity of mice. This thing seems to be related to that: http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/09/ ... RN20080910

There doe not seem to be any studies on humans regarding this flavonoid, I'm afraid. Certainly no peer-reviewed ones. And uh, yeah, just eating grapes would give you the supposed benefits of resveratrol without the damage of ~4.5cl ethanol a day.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

TIL another thing Nutella goes well with: Pears. Mouthgasm.

Also, I learned a good deal about the exploits of Brig. Gen. Benjamin Foulois, the first American military aviator, and one of the first proponents of US air power. A forebear to Billy Mitchel (Father of the USAF), he created the prototype squadron that formed the basis for America's fledlging AAS during WW1.

In addition to that, a bunch more about Billy Mitchel and Henry "Hap" Arnold, both major players in the development of the USAF.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:45 am UTC

Kewangji wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol wrote:Despite the mainstream press alleging resveratrol's anti-aging effects,[4] there are no accepted data to form a scientific basis for the application of these claims to mammals (see life extension section below). At the present time, research on resveratrol is in its infancy and the long-term effects of supplementation in humans are not known.[5][6]

That four goes to an article about trying to figure out how longevity work, which includes a tiny mention of resveratrol (which they call a drug, I'm not sure if that is consistent with the way other things call it, but I'm not very good with terms) being good for the longevity of mice. This thing seems to be related to that: http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/09/ ... RN20080910

There doe not seem to be any studies on humans regarding this flavonoid, I'm afraid. Certainly no peer-reviewed ones. And uh, yeah, just eating grapes would give you the supposed benefits of resveratrol without the damage of ~4.5cl ethanol a day.

That's medical advancement for ya! The book was published 6 years ago, so some things are bound to be outdated. And they are upfront about what they don't know - notice the "seems to" in the quote.

Anyway, about the daily alcohol intake, it's probably not as big of a deal as you think it is. They have this to say about it:

You also want as high an HDL [cholesterol] level possible, and at least greater than 40 [grams a day]. Increasing your HDL can be done in several ways:
. . .
· having a drink of alcohol every night (seven on Saturday night doesn't count, and avoid drinking if you have a family member who becomes angry when he/she drinks)

By the way, alcohol is a double-edged sword. In its favor, it decreases inflammation, for reasons not fully understood. But too much of it can cause aging of the immune system, perhaps by inactivating the cells that defend you. Anything over about two and a half drinks daily for men and one and a half drinks for women is a net increase in risk.

Wikipedia agrees with there being apparent benefits with the need for caution.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

I didn't notice the 'seems to' as there were exact numbers ("doing this can make you live 1.9 years longer!") and stuff. Didn't seem very honest as they didn't have research backing them up, and were just extrapolating wildly.

So there seems to be benefits and there are definitely detriments, according to that wiki-page. And there is, in my opinion, reason to suspect the alcohol industry has had a hand in making those benefits seem like they exist.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

Think I'll just stick to the grapes.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:. . .they didn't have research backing them up, and were just extrapolating wildly.

I don't know what sources they used, if any. Do you? I'd rather not extrapolate wildly about how the authors went about deciding on that recommendation.

Kewangji wrote:So there seems to be benefits and there are definitely detriments, according to that wiki-page.

The detriments are almost all associated with heavy drinking, and, thus, are not applicable to 1-2 glasses of wine per day. Just read down the page. And the "seeming" benefits are numerous.

Kewangji wrote:And there is, in my opinion, reason to suspect the alcohol industry has had a hand in making those benefits seem like they exist.

Suit yourself.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

You're saying someone conducted a proper scientific survey that would likely take years and just … you know … failed to mention this to the public, while sharing it with Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz?

I should also mention that Roizen believes that one can live to 120 with the life quality of a 45-year old. (http://www.cleveland.com/medical/index. ... ngevi.html) It's not just me accusing him of extrapolating wildly.

I did read the entire page, and I clicked lots of links, and read them. I missed this thing before, and I'll have to admit that it seems legit: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17159008

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:50 pm UTC

Today I Found Out is a pretty cool (and reletively new) site. Worth checking out.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:46 am UTC

TIL that while you may be an excellent student, athlete, and avid volunteer, you will never find a job in a down economy without work experience. And the only way to get work experience is to get a job.

Welcome to Reality.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:50 am UTC

thorgold wrote:TIL that while you may be an excellent student, athlete, and avid volunteer, you will never find a job in a down economy without work experience. And the only way to get work experience is to get a job.

Welcome to Reality.

Volunteer work? (For experience.)
I mostly lurk. Hello.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:51 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:
thorgold wrote:TIL that while you may be an excellent student, athlete, and avid volunteer, you will never find a job in a down economy without work experience. And the only way to get work experience is to get a job.

Welcome to Reality.

Volunteer work? (For experience.)

I listed my childcare volunteer work (and Boy Scount fundraising), but in every interview it wasn't relevant enough - I got brownie points for being a volunteer daycare worker, but that isn't exactly Customer Service experience in the eyes of my local businesses.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:12 am UTC

Ah. Yeah, good luck with that. (I have been job-hunting since March.)
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:You're saying someone conducted a proper scientific survey that would likely take years and just … you know … failed to mention this to the public, while sharing it with Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz?

I'm saying what I said. They are experts, internet searches are not exhaustive, and animal testing isn't fruitless.

Kewangji wrote:I should also mention that Roizen believes that one can live to 120 with the life quality of a 45-year old. (http://www.cleveland.com/medical/index. ... ngevi.html)

That's saddening, but I don't see how it's relevant.

Magnanimous wrote:Today I Found Out is a pretty cool (and reletively new) site. Worth checking out.

There went my time. Thanks!

Poopenheimer

Postby Poopenheimer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:22 pm UTC

Today I learned that my fear of needles was irrational.

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

Today I learned that Jack Layton passed away, may he rest in peace :(

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:45 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:I believe this needs to be here:

http://www.wastedtalent.ca/comic/data-pr0n

This is the second time in the last week I have been linked to that webcomic.

Thankfully, I already archive-binged the whole damn thing the last time, so I don't have to worry about wasting more time with it now. Even though it is pure concentrated win in a browser.

(And I've already posted two of the strips on my cubicle wall! I'm such a cube-dweeb.)
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

enaichbee

Postby enaichbee » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:38 am UTC

Today, I learned to stop feeling superior to hide my own inferiority complex. Starting right now, I'm going to be a better, more accepting, kinder, less sarcastic person. (I hope)

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:15 am UTC

enaichbee wrote:Today, I learned to stop feeling superior to hide my own inferiority complex. Starting right now, I'm going to be a better, more accepting, kinder, less sarcastic person. (I hope)

Hopes you become who you wish to be. Positive fortune to you on your journey.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:25 am UTC

TIL that when your sent mail is full (2048 messages) it auto-deletes the oldest ones with each new PM you PM. Thus, in my inbox, early PM conversations suddenly become very one-sided as all my messages get slowly erased from history.

davean! Can you increase PM folder sizes?? And, if so ...will you?

Edit: ignore that. Workaround: Create New Folder, mark all in Sent Messages, then select 'send to $new_folder' = extra 2048 spaces for messages. My sent tray should be uncluttered until 2014!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:28 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:TIL that when your sent mail is full (2048 messages) it auto-deletes the oldest ones with each new PM you PM. Thus, in my inbox, early PM conversations suddenly become very one-sided as all my messages get slowly erased from history.

davean! Can you increase PM folder sizes?? And, if so ...will you?

Edit: ignore that. Workaround: Create New Folder, mark all in Sent Messages, then select 'send to $new_folder' = extra 2048 spaces for messages. My sent tray should be uncluttered until 2014!

Increased to 8192.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:51 am UTC

My goodness, what power.

*swoons*

No-one messages me any more :(
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

YIL that there's a cultural rule for how much you're supposed to spend on engagement rings (at least the radio said it) which got downgraded by the economy. A lot.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:24 pm UTC

That said - if the other person does not accept the engagement because the ring didn't cost enough, nothing of value was lost.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

^ True that.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

Chandani wrote:YIL that there's a cultural rule for how much you're supposed to spend on engagement rings (at least the radio said it) which got downgraded by the economy. A lot.

Apparently it's supposed to be some percentage of what he makes in a year. Bullcrap imo.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Return to “General”