Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TimelordSimone

Re: Today I Learned

Postby TimelordSimone » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

I thought it was a month's wages? I am almost certain my brother did not spend that much when he got engaged.
They have bills to pay, you know.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:That said - if the other person does not accept the engagement because the ring didn't cost enough, nothing of value was lost.

To be fair, buying the ring from the quarter machine at the grocery store seemed like a good idea at the time.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

Yeah, but after 30 minutes the sucker part is all gone. At least get something that will last a while.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:That said - if the other person does not accept the engagement because the ring didn't cost enough, nothing of value was lost.

To be fair, buying the ring from the quarter machine at the grocery store seemed like a good idea at the time.
Eh, if you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, how the fuck is a ring from the quarter machine not good enough? The ring's not the point, it's just a symbol, a thing. The point is the feeling and intent behind it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:32 pm UTC

I was told that the engagement ring is supposed to be THREE months of the man's wages. Sound just a little silly...

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

Ah, but don't forget about that big Ol' Dowry you're going to get for taking that there woman off the hands of the parents.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:42 pm UTC

I think those little haribo rings are the best idea.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

If you're going to spend that much on a ring, at least make it useful. Embed a tiny laser, or a poison capsule.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:05 pm UTC

I think Green Lantern's screwed no matter how much he pays for his.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:07 pm UTC

The most romantic gesture is always the one you cast yourself out of your own gold teeth.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

My thought would be more to make the presentation memorable. Not say, in a Red Lobster. Or as a friend did it, while half drunk, sitting on a porch with friends at a ski resort. He didn't even go down on one knee, just handed the box to her.

I'd want something cool. Like if I was with a nurse or doctor, have it surgically implanted in my foot, then 'accidently' trip and break my foot open while out hiking with her.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:If you're going to spend that much on a ring, at least make it useful. Embed a tiny laser, or a poison capsule.

I like the laser idea. Bonus points for having a crystal on it that doubles as solid state laser resonator.

But general question about it: is it really common for women to take that ring and head straight for the nearest jeweler to get an estimate on its worth? I mean... what SecondTalon said: marriage founded in love is so much better than vested in the great bargain it is.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

Anybody that proposes to me with a haribo ring is going to be my fiance for at least an evening. Just saying.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

*proffers Haribo ring*
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:56 pm UTC

If I can't nom it, it doesn't count. Sorry. That's my #1 rule.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

Where abouts are you, TD? Not that I'm desperate, but it's worth keeping my options open.

Seriously. All the Haribo you can eat.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:17 am UTC

I'm in Cambridgeshire!
Ⓞⓞ◯

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:25 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I'm in Cambridgeshire!

Woo, Cambridgeshire!
(I am also in Cambridgeshire.)
I mostly lurk. Hello.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:25 am UTC

Do you guys purposefully name your counties things that sound so stereotypical and ridiculous that I keep having to look them up to see if people are joking or not?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:28 am UTC

Well, obviously.

I presume it is named after Cambridge. The shire of Cambridge.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:32 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Do you guys purposefully name your counties things that sound so stereotypical and ridiculous that I keep having to look them up to see if people are joking or not?

A bit, yeah. I'm from Yorkshire. Now you can pronounce that 'Yorkshire'*, or you can go all Lord of the Rings and think of that as York-shire if you like.

And sorry TD, I was keen but my young person's railcard runs out in about a week so I might leave it for now. I'll hit you up again if life gives me lemons and you like lemons.

*alright, "York-shur".

softchews

Postby softchews » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:36 am UTC

Woo, I live in Cambridgeshire too!
I don't know why that is woo-worthy, its all farms and villages and I have not seen a hill in years!

also, I know it is only half one, but already TIL that I suck at this new Deus Ex game. So. Much. Death.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:37 am UTC

Yeah, your pronunciations are also ridiculous.

Gloucestershire --> glow-ster-shur. I'd pronounce it glow-chester-shire.

Warwickshire --> war-ick-shur. I'd pronounce it.. well, the way it's written. Who's ever heard of a silent w?
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:48 am UTC

Leicestershire is a good one.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:49 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Yeah, your pronunciations are also ridiculous.

Gloucestershire --> glow-ster-shur. I'd pronounce it glow-chester-shire.

Warwickshire --> war-ick-shur. I'd pronounce it.. well, the way it's written. Who's ever heard of a silent w?

Do you also say Lie-sester-shire for Leicestershire? Because I do, and I live there.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:17 am UTC

Hadn't thought about that one. I assume it's meant to be pronounced lie-ster-shur? In keeping with my pronunciation of Gloucestershire, I'd say lie-chester-shire. However, I think that my pronunciation of cester as chester is probably nonsensical and I have no idea why it looks like it should be pronounced that way to me. So I'd say the pronunciation that makes the most sense is indeed lie-sester-shire.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:29 am UTC

It's actually more like Lestershur.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:45 am UTC

I was mailing something to Gloucester a while ago, and the mailman laughed at me for saying "Glau-chester". :( (To be fair, I had just finished an episode of The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Cameron was wearing a somewhat-revealing shirt.)

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:52 am UTC

I now imagine a race of tiny creatures living on Summer Glau's chest. Glauchesters.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:58 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I was mailing something to Gloucester a while ago, and the mailman laughed at me for saying "Glau-chester". :( (To be fair, I had just finished an episode of The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Cameron was wearing a somewhat-revealing shirt.)

Yeah, but if you say it like that, the poem neither scans nor rhymes:

Doctor Foster
Went to Gloucester
In a shower of rain.
He stepped in a puddle
Right up to his middle
And never went there again.

+EDIT: According to wikipedia, there's a tune to go with that, but I was never taught it as a song.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:08 am UTC

Zarq wrote:I now imagine a race of tiny creatures living on Summer Glau's chest. Glauchesters.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:41 am UTC

Kang wrote:But general question about it: is it really common for women to take that ring and head straight for the nearest jeweler to get an estimate on its worth? I mean... what SexyTalon said: marriage founded in love is so much better than vested in the great bargain it is.

My fiance had bought the ring in an unfortunate relationship that ended before we met, so I knew what is was worth at the beginning of our relationship. He felt pretty dumb about paying for it (aka having to pay it off) when his thing had ended up falling apart. When he proposed, he offered to buy me a new ring and blah blah blah but I flat out told him that what mattered to me most was him. Not the size of the sparkly thingy on my finger.

Now that I got a used wedding dress, he joked to me that I've got a used dress, ring, and fiance. Heheh.

TIL that some people regard used wedding items (ring, dress, etc) as "cursed". Uh, what? Sorry, but items from people I have never known are not going to *magically* reach out and destroy the happiness of our wedding day.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:44 am UTC

Along Time Ago I Learned that people have lots of weird superstitions. (I guess "weird superstition" is redundant.) And traditions. Most wedding-related rituals? Yeah. Not a fan. I'll promise love and loyalty to my significant other, have a judge do the government stuff, and throw a party.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:46 am UTC

Today I learned that taking a hard line gets results. Long story short, there's been a permanent puddle in my kitchen for more than a month. At first I tried asking the landlord to fix it, but that didn't get results. Tuesday, I send them a letter (which they'd get on Wednesday), saying that I'm withholding my rent because of this, and on Thursday, plumbers turn up.

Unfortunately what they've found is a bit a good news / bad news thing. Good news is that they've found the leak that's causing it, bad news is it's the hot water tank. They're going to install a cut-off valve as a temporary thing until they can get me a new tank, but that means I'm going to have a choice between a flooded floor and having hot water.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:58 pm UTC

My dad was once stopped by someone asking for directions to "Looga-borooga". After some confusion, he got to see it written down. Loughborough.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

That person was probably foreign. I think French.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Kang

Postby Kang » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Today I learned that taking a hard line gets results.

I thought we learned that here: http://xkcd.com/42/

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:[...] there's been a permanent puddle in my kitchen for more than a month.

[...]

Unfortunately what they've found is a bit a good news / bad news thing. Good news is that they've found the leak that's causing it, bad news is it's the hot water tank. They're going to install a cut-off valve as a temporary thing until they can get me a new tank, but that means I'm going to have a choice between a flooded floor and having hot water.

You found out about your leaky hot water tank the easy way. I found out the hard way: one morning I woke up to a totally flooded kitchen and lounge-room, and several ruined items of furniture. The water even seeped through a wall and dampened the carpet of the adjoining apartment. It took about two weeks using a big industrial hot air blower and a dehumidifier to dry out the carpet in my lounge-room. The lower cupboards in the kitchen smelled quite mouldy after that incident.

The building was fairly old, and several months later the owners decided to do massive renovations on the whole building. I suppose I'm glad I don't live there anymore, although it was rather traumatic moving out with 6 weeks notice after having lived in that flat for almost 20 years.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

Kang wrote:But general question about it: is it really common for women to take that ring and head straight for the nearest jeweler to get an estimate on its worth? I mean... what SexyTalon said: marriage founded in love is so much better than vested in the great bargain it is.
Well, no. But it's either going to *look* like it cost $20... which, again, shouldn't be a problem.. Or when she takes it in to get appraised because the homeowners insurance is requiring that all of the jewelry be appraised before it can be added to the policy and then she finds out it's worth a hundred bucks when she assumed a few thousand and never bothered to, you know, ask... because, frankly, this is just me thinking.. if my wife wanted to add something to the insurance policy, I wouldn't expect her to double-check it with me, I'd expect she just do it. Same with me.. if I was adding something, I'd just *do* it.

Of course, I suppose it's possible that there does exist the kind of person who, when given a shiny bit of metal with romantic overtones, has a natural reaction to get a professional opinion on it's value. But that's surely rare. Right? I'm going to assume so. Otherwise, I have to move to Mars and the internet is shit there.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Otherwise, I have to move to Mars and the internet is shit there.

If you convince enough people to go to mars, you can start a Mars net, with a suffix of .Mars .

Return to “General”