Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PM 2Ring

Re: Today I Learned

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Otherwise, I have to move to Mars and the internet is shit there.

If you convince enough people to go to mars, you can start a Mars net, with a suffix of .Mars .

You mean .mars, of course. But the ping time to Earth-bound servers would still suck.

Kang

Postby Kang » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

Well, you'll just make your own internet then. With blackjack and...

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Of course, I suppose it's possible that there does exist the kind of person who, when given a shiny bit of metal with romantic overtones, has a natural reaction to get a professional opinion on it's value. But that's surely rare. Right? I'm going to assume so. Otherwise, I have to move to Mars and the internet is shit there.

I guess we've lost him. :(
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

isn't the whole point of engagement rings to buy something that's pretty but cheap, as a final test to make sure she's suitable? If she accepts with no qualms about the low price, you go ahead and get married, otherwise you bail ^_^
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

Some people even propose to men! :o
Ⓞⓞ◯

Kang

Postby Kang » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

I'm sure application to all genders was implied and just left out for more convenient reading.

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

Kang wrote:I'm sure application to all genders was implied and just left out for more convenient reading.

indeedles :P that and I think my red blood cell count's dropped a bit this week, been feeling faint and tired all day. ANYWAY...
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

"she" was specifically used. A gender neutral term would've avoided reinforcing restrictive gender roles and wouldn't have been so heteronormative.
I guess replacing 'they' with 'she' is convenient enough to ignore all that though, eh?
Ⓞⓞ◯

Kang

Postby Kang » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:"she" was specifically used. A gender neutral term would've avoided reinforcing restrictive gender roles and wouldn't have been so heteronormative.
I guess replacing 'they' with 'she' is convenient enough to ignore all that though, eh?

Yes, I guess you are right.

TIL: Proper care should be taken to wording gender-unspecifically, especially when obsolete gender roles are involved.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:00 pm UTC

Well that was a pleasing outcome. Whooo!
Ⓞⓞ◯

ExplodingHat

Postby ExplodingHat » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:05 am UTC

TIL: There is such thing as a lute-harpsichord with a 16' stop. My fundamental perception of the universe is forever changed.
Some call it luck, I call it "subconscious planning".

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:37 am UTC

TIL that you can indeed have multiple tex files in a single TeXlipse project. Now I feel really stupid for never looking up partial building before, and also very happy that now my workspace will be neat and organized.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:14 pm UTC

TIL that if you stop insisting on using your old and cheap razor, and get a new one even though they cost an arm and a leg, shaving goes from being a bloodbath to something quick and easy. Earlier, 5-6 cuts was a good day. Today I got off scot-free.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

I haven't tried it myself, as I prefer looking like a barbarian to shaving, but I hear you can extend blade life by quite a bit if you store them in mineral oil (or was it simply cooking oil? or either? this advice is slowly getting more and more useless) between each time you shave.

TIL how much acquaintances can help when applying for a job. I feel slightly dirty, but also much less unemployed. On balance, yay!
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:37 pm UTC

Thirty-one wrote:TIL how much acquaintances can help when applying for a job. I feel slightly dirty, but also much less unemployed. On balance, yay!

I don't like to admit it - who would? - but my first proper job started shortly after my uncle (who does rather well for himself) rang up my boss-to-be and finished with "by the way, how did my nephew get on in his interview today?" and "Either way, I expect you to find someone to fill that position today". I'm grateful for the work.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:TIL that if you stop insisting on using your old and cheap razor, and get a new one even though they cost an arm and a leg, shaving goes from being a bloodbath to something quick and easy. Earlier, 5-6 cuts was a good day. Today I got off scot-free.

My boyfriend says that if you rub the razor (I'm assuming the multi-blade safety razors) the wrong way on your jeans, it really helps the roughness of the blade and helps things move along smoother. It allows you to use the same razor longer. As legs aren't quite as sensitive as faces, I can't tell the difference, but you could try it.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

Indeed, stropping with denim is a good way to reuse your old jeans. You can even use polishy type stuff with it!

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:18 pm UTC

I'm glad I use an electronic razor, which has served me well for about 5 years now without a single injury.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:32 pm UTC

The only injuries with my razor is when that orphanage attacked me. It was self-defense, I swear!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

The last time I cut myself shaving was the second time ever shaving my head. About... ..uh.... like..... uh.... fuck, over a year ago, I think.

I wonder if I talked about it in my post history....

I did! I did!

So that'd put it roughly March 10th or 11th of 2010.

Perhaps I share too much.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:56 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The last time I cut myself shaving was the second time ever shaving my head. About... ..uh.... like..... uh.... fuck, over a year ago, I think.

I wonder if I talked about it in my post history....

I did! I did!

So that'd put it roughly March 10th or 11th of 2010.

Perhaps I share too much.

This is what makes this forum so awesome. It records your entire history. For example, if I want to figure out when I've been sick, I just ego-search "flu", "sick", "ill" and get list of when I've been under the weather with a resolution of a couple of days.

TIL that google now allows to be signed in with multiple accounts at the same time.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:23 am UTC

TIL prunes are a distinct type of plum, not just dried plums.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:44 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:"she" was specifically used. A gender neutral term would've avoided reinforcing restrictive gender roles and wouldn't have been so heteronormative.

Sweet, implicitly calling someone a sexist homophobe by assuming that that someone is actively "reinforcing restrictive gender roles" and heteronormality is totally an appropriate response 15 minutes after they apologized and acknowledged a careless mistake. Totally conveys the message of acceptance and forgiveness and togetherness.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:47 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Well that was a pleasing outcome. Whooo!

You spoke too quickly.

Gorcee, listen. Humans are silly. There's this part of the human mind that cares strongly about little things, that makes them read implications not intended by the author and be strongly emotionally influenced by it. This is completely and utterly annoying. I often think humanity would be better of without these little sensitivities. Hell, I often think humanity would be better of with a lesser degree of self-awareness.

But that's just not how it is. These little sensitivities are there, and no amount of complaining will change that. Maybe someday after reaching a state of complete equality, humanity will be so used to nobody getting discriminated that nobody will even think about being offended by someone calling a group of 3 men and 7 women "guys". But that's not now. That won't happen in our generation. That won't happen in the next generation. That probably won't even happen in the next 1000 years, if ever.

So now you have the choice. Either you suck it up and accept that people have these little sensitivities, even if you don't understand them at all, and you try to be sensitive to them. Or, you ignore them, and you willfully offend people. Your choice.

Now, I know it sucks being called a sexist, a racist, a rape-apologist, a homophobe, a transphobe,... simply for misusing a word, but realize you're falling in the same pitfall. You see an implication that the author didn't mean. Nobody's calling you those things*. What they're doing is telling you how the things you said are interpreted by some people, and that those people are strongly emotionally affected by it.

*Okay, some people totally do that, and fuck those people, but TD isn't.

(I know I reacted to some stuff that you didn't say, but it was pre-emptive)
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:53 am UTC

I gotta say, I'm down with those little sensitivities. I'm not down, at least immediately, with going through the effort of catering to every single individual's sensitivities at all times and in every letter or word spoken/written, because think about it: the range of such things is potentially infinite and practically ginormous. However, that doesn't mean I don't respect them. It just means that I also respect linguistic conventions and the people who use them. And those with sensitivities are there to (hopefully) help nudge us collectively towards nuanced language and incorporating more differences in our conventions. I just hope they realize it's a slow and cumbersome process. Language is defined by convention, and when we're talking about convention, we're talking about a shitton of people. When we're talking about changing a shitton of people, we're talking about a shitton of time.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:11 am UTC

These "Mighty" wallets made from Tyvek are mighty useful. Fits nicely in my pocket and has personality. Next step will be to doodle on it.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:20 am UTC

TIL: deep sea divers have to breathe a mixture of helium and oxygen while submerged to prevent nitrogen bubbles forming in their blood, which means they sound really funny for days. (I may have just rediscovered the discovery channel.)

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

modularblues wrote:These "Mighty" wallets made from Tyvek are mighty useful. Fits nicely in my pocket and has personality. Next step will be to doodle on it.

Oooh, interesting. And on amazon.co.uk for less than a tenner... Recommend them?
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:14 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:
modularblues wrote:These "Mighty" wallets made from Tyvek are mighty useful. Fits nicely in my pocket and has personality. Next step will be to doodle on it.

Oooh, interesting. And on amazon.co.uk for less than a tenner... Recommend them?

Linky? I can't see it for less than a tenner. I would normally not mind it being a bit more, but I have a £10 voucher. And why spend any money? ;)

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

Classic Black because I'm boring.
But most of them seem around the £10 mark
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

TIL: Apparently the British don't have taffy.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief;
Taffy came to my house and stole a piece of beef;
I went to Taffy's house, Taffy wasn't in;
I jumped upon his Sunday hat and poked it with a pin.

We have toffee. Lots of toffee. More toffee than you can shake a stick at. Why do you think the bad-teeth stereotype persists?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

Yes, I realize you have toffee, but it's not really the same.

In any case, I learned that through QI. The question was "What is a taffy pull?" and I thought it was a trick question. But apparently it really was just referring to taffy, but only Rich Hall knew because he's American.

Also, as I've been watching every episode of QI, I've thus far found two things they've been wrong about. The first is "How many moons does earth have?" and they originally claimed there were two, the second being Cruithne. However, it's not a moon. For one, it doesn't even orbit the earth. Rather, as wiki will tell you, it's a quasi-settelite. Stephen Fry also claimed that it'd been discovered in 1994, when in fact it was discovered in 1986. They revisited it in a later episode, this time claiming there were five. They added three other quasi-satellites that had been discovered in the interim, but still claimed they were moons. Stephen even said "Some people say they aren't really moons, but on the other hand what could you call them? They orbit the earth and they are, to some extent, our moons." So, yes, very wrong on that one.

The other one was when they were discussing the platypus and Stephen claimed they were "the only mammal on earth that has venom". But, while they are indeed very rare, there are several others.

Edit: Actually, I just remembered one more. Alan said "Switzerland has four official languages, none of which are used on their stamps." and Stephen correct him, "none of which is used". However, either is acceptable.

Edit 2: And I just watched him get a fourth thing wrong. He claimed marsupials aren't mammals.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:09 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:TIL: Apparently the British don't have taffy.

I only know what taffy is from playing the Scooby Doo game on the Megadrive.

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Yes, I realize you have toffee, but it's not really the same.

What's the difference? I feel like I should know but then realised I have no idea..
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

softchews

Postby softchews » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

Hope_ wrote:

What's the difference? I feel like I should know but then realised I have no idea..

According to Wiki, things like Starbursts and Chewits are actually taffy. I had no idea of that before today. In that case, taffy is very certainly not toffee.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:03 pm UTC

softchews wrote:
Hope_ wrote:

According to Wiki, things like Starbursts and Chewits are actually taffy. I had no idea of that before today. In that case, taffy is very certainly not toffee.

I actually haven't had taffy in a long time, but I wouldn't quite call Starburst taffy.

As to the difference between it and toffee: toffee is caramel flavoured and taffy isn't, and taffy is always very soft, while toffee isn't.

Edit: Bah, Stephen's wrong again. He said to Clive Anderson "five points away for thinking a louse is an insect; it's an arachnid." But that's wrong, lice are insects.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:35 am UTC

TIL: "Anything that can go wrong, will." is Sod's Law, not Murphy's Law. Murphy's quote was "If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then somebody will do it that way."

Everyone calls it Murphy's Law though, so whatever.
e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Edit: Bah, Stephen's wrong again. He said to Clive Anderson "five points away for thinking a louse is an insect; it's an arachnid." But that's wrong, lice are insects.

Maybe he was thinking of mites?

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:26 am UTC

I suppose that would have made more sense, but it's certainly not what he said. In any case, as I'm sure google will tell you, there have been a lot more mistakes than just the few I've mentioned. Unfortunately, I seem to have forgotten that "thou shalt not question Stephen Fry".

(Avatar by Sungura)

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:38 am UTC

Return to “General”