Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:54 am UTC

I question Stephen Fry ever since I found out he dislikes panama hats. Even the Fry cannot be right about everything.

Oh and there was that business with the "Cruithne is our second moon" too, but that doesn't count because the QI producers made him say that.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:09 pm UTC

YIL : When you buy nearly $90 in games from GoG.com using a 5/3 card, they tend to panic and put a freeze on the card. Made buying comics a little troublesome.

Comics I only now remember are in my wife's car. D'oh. But on the plus side, I now have copies of the Black Isle Games (BG1&2, ID1&2) that I can get working very easily. Provided I don't give a shit about my characters biographies in Icewind Dale (Pro Tip : I Don't.)

Anyway, any of you with them, keep that in mind if you're buying from GoG. I'd suggest buying from GoG during normal business hours, and immediately calling the Customer Support line and telling them that yes, that was you. You know, all eight of you who live in this region, which means this advice probably applies to.. one other person.

Who hasn't posted here in a year.

Shaddap.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:40 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:YIL : When you buy nearly $90 in games from GoG.com using a 5/3 card, they tend to panic and put a freeze on the card. Made buying comics a little troublesome.

Woooo Improper Fraction Bank! When those started cropping up around here several years ago, I was like, seriously, double-you tee eff kind of name is that? Now there's one a block or so from my house.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:46 am UTC

Fifth National Bank and Third National Bank merge. Hence, 5/3 Bank.

Same kinda wacky dealie as the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse name - A woman named Ruth bought the Chris Steakhouse and as part of the deal, the name Chris Steakhouse had to be kept for a number of years, though she could add on to the front of it, and after the years were up the recognition of the entire name was too great to change it.

And that's why places with stupid names have stupid names.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:50 am UTC

Still, "Fifth National Bank" is a silly name already... what's the thought process there? "We were beaten to the idea of being a national bank by 4 others... we should make that a major part of our brand image!"

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:02 am UTC

Third National was on Third Street.

Then again, so was Fifth National.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:20 am UTC

Maybe they the banks thought that if the number in their name was bigger, it would clearly indicate that the bank was newer and as a result somehow better?
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:43 am UTC

Is not associated with creativity. Chose between the current name, First First First First First National Bank, and First Times (Infinity Plus Infinity) National Bank.

See also: Ray’s Pizza, Famous Ray’s Pizza, Ray’s Original Pizza, World-Famous Original Ray’s Pizza, and Not Ray’s Pizza.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:52 am UTC

TIL: Undershirts are the best tool to clean iPhone, iPod and iPad screens.

(I don't mean anything in particular by naming the devices, but I don't want to responsible if someone tries it on their shiny Android phone and immediately cracks the surface.)
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:56 am UTC

Does that mean you are claiming responsibility if I try it on my iWhatever and manage to break the screen? :wink:
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:21 am UTC

No, but I will seriously question why you feel the need to wear chain mail as an undergarment.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:26 am UTC

It IS Mithril, after all...
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:40 am UTC

If minecraft ever taught me anything, it's that diamonds are best used for protecting the body.

Otherwise, raw fire.

Second TIL: It's not weird to play with legos as an adult. No, really.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:03 am UTC

Did you create anything? And do pictures of this hypothetical construction exist?
Last edited by Deva on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:05 am UTC

Raw fire, as opposed to cooked fire?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:08 am UTC

I'll take mine medium-rare, thanks.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 am UTC

Deva wrote:Did you create anything? And do pictures of this hypothetical construction exist?

I was passing a toy store. Staring longingly at some products. City sets, in particular. Excellent for my secret Lego town. Built under my bed.

And just as I was about to go, a kid looked and me and said "well if you want it, just buy it!" I responded with a blank expression, and he started muttering to himself, "adults are weird... they have money but won't buy things for themselves. I've got no money but I want everything!"

Wisdom of kids, I guess.

Today I Observed: RECAPTCHA has been terrible. Seeing as how they work with one known-word and one hard-word, but only actually checking the known one, we should've seen this coming. It's now almost always 1 easy word ("honest" written in 16pt helvetica with a distort filter) and 1 random word ("afTdfMa" written in Humor Sans, distorted, glassified, imported into MS Paint and applied 6 layers of lens flares). Since you don't need to actually get the other word right, RECAPTCHA is practically useless now.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:24 am UTC

As I've said before (Now with FaiD Bonus!) and I'm saying again now...

One of the benefits of being an adult is buying legos whenever the fuck you want (like 3am) and no one saying a goddamn thing to you about it.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:29 am UTC

No one except my SO, apparently.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:37 am UTC

...that's rough, yo.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:41 am UTC

To be fair, I wanted about $600 in sets.

Why don't they just sell the old normal bricks in one color? I want to try my hand at brick sculpting. Minecraft taught me a lot about that.

JIT TIL: The water you soak dried mushrooms in is actually quite tasty. Don't throw them away!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:45 am UTC

IF.. and this is a big IF... IF you can find a stand-alone Lego shop, they sell bricks by the whatever.

I also know that, at least for a time, the Lego website had a creator you could download and build with, then click a button to order the thing you just built. No idea if they're still doing it, and I really should take advantage of that if they are.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:59 am UTC

... as in, this thing (FAQ)?

Um... okay. Alright. Uh. See you guys later.

EDIT: Ah, 140mb.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:IF.. and this is a big IF... IF you can find a stand-alone Lego shop, they sell bricks by the whatever.

I also know that, at least for a time, the Lego website had a creator you could download and build with, then click a button to order the thing you just built. No idea if they're still doing it, and I really should take advantage of that if they are.

Yeah, unless they've changed it in the past year or two, their software is fucking terrible. Brick selection was poor, interface was godawful, and it just generally was not user friendly.

My biggest issue with Legos is getting the pieces I want. I really, really wanted to do a Black Monarch's Castle in red/black instead of black/red, or maybe blue/black. Can't even get enough of the basic pieces, ignoring the wall pieces that only come in black and gray.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:53 pm UTC

I now play with LEGO under the ruse that I'm making stop-frame animation.

SlyReaper wrote:I question Stephen Fry ever since I found out he dislikes panama hats. Even the Fry cannot be right about everything.

He also has an irrational reverie of Steve Jobs and hatred of Bill Gates. But that doesn't bother me because I just love hearing his voice. If you haven't heard him read the Harry Potter series then you have to do that now.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:IF.. and this is a big IF... IF you can find a stand-alone Lego shop, they sell bricks by the whatever.

If they're still doing it, I should really take advantage of dedicating all of my efforts to getting the job of whomever builds the stuff.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:I now play with LEGO under the ruse that I'm making stop-frame animation.

SlyReaper wrote:I question Stephen Fry ever since I found out he dislikes panama hats. Even the Fry cannot be right about everything.

He also has an irrational reverie of Steve Jobs and hatred of Bill Gates. But that doesn't bother me because I just love hearing his voice. If you haven't heard him read the Harry Potter series then you have to do that now.

I'm more a fan of his narration for the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie, as well as the trailer. Excellent stuff.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

Steax wrote:TIL: Undershirts are the best tool to clean iPhone, iPod and iPad screens.

(I don't mean anything in particular by naming the devices, but I don't want to responsible if someone tries it on their shiny Android phone and immediately cracks the surface.)

My undershirts seem to be the only thing that can clean my glasses well.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

"Undershirt"? I do not understand this word. It seems to imply the existence of overshirts. Who wears more than one shirt at a time?

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

Everybody? You really wear a $60+ shirt and rub it all over your smelly man armpits?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

I really only wear them in the winter.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Everybody? You really wear a $60+ shirt and rub it all over your smelly man armpits?

Since it goes in the wash after a day of wearing it... yes.

Besides, it'll only get smelly more quickly if you're sweating as a result of wearing too many damn shirts. I might put a vest underneath a shirt if it's cold, but otherwise I don't bother.

... it now occurs to me to wonder if "undershirt" is the leftpondian word for vest?

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

An undershirt is generally a very lightweight and (usually) white t-shirt.

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:57 pm UTC

Although according to Wikipedia, SlyReaper is correct in that an undershirt(US) = vest (UK).

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

Madness!

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

But vests go on the outside, no?
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Everybody? You really wear a $60+ shirt and rub it all over your smelly man armpits?

No, I buy four $15 shirts and rub them all over my smelly man armpits. And then I wash them.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:If they're still doing it, I should really take advantage of dedicating all of my efforts to getting the job of whomever builds the stuff.
I hear part of the job interview is them giving you 20-50 random pieces and then just watching to see what you do with them. Not that there's a Plan and you're supposed to make a horse or something, they genuinely just want to see what the hell you'll do with 20-50 random pieces.

As this is alllll coming out of my memory, don't count on it being true.

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:IF.. and this is a big IF... IF you can find a stand-alone Lego shop, they sell bricks by the whatever.

If they're still doing it, I should really take advantage of dedicating all of my efforts to getting the job of whomever builds the stuff.

I'm pretty sure that the job of "whomever builds the stuff" is filled by the consumer. You make a lego thing in their program, order it, and get a box with the parts you used.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
rigwarl wrote:If they're still doing it, I should really take advantage of dedicating all of my efforts to getting the job of whomever builds the stuff.
I hear part of the job interview is them giving you 20-50 random pieces and then just watching to see what you do with them. Not that there's a Plan and you're supposed to make a horse or something, they genuinely just want to see what the hell you'll do with 20-50 random pieces.

As this is alllll coming out of my memory, don't count on it being true.

They should do that al all interviews for all jobs ever!

Return to “General”