Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Scyphozoa

Re: Today I Learned

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Everybody? You really wear a $60+ shirt and rub it all over your smelly man armpits?

If it's hot enough to sweat very much, I won't be wearing more than one layer anyway. When it's cold I wear a normal shirt and then a number of jackets.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:56 am UTC

One thing that many male swing dancers will do is to bring multiple undershirts or t-shirt for wearing under their nicer shirt. They might sweat a bit more, but once it soaks through the undershirt, they change it. Thus their outer layer stays nice and dry to their partner's touch. I think the same thing could be used for a normal day where one wants to keep the same shirt looking fresh all day.

deskjethp

Postby deskjethp » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:14 am UTC

TIL I can unlock a ton of locked computer cabinets at my university with paperclip. I was amused.
arbivark wrote:when i was first a tenant at 19, i was probably a nuisance .. a bother, to the landlord because i'd do stuff like, hey there's a fireplace here, get me a hammer, hey if i make a hole in my ceiling there's an attic that runs the length of the rowhouses.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:24 am UTC

I uh... I don't know, but I use undershirts here in this tropical country whenever wearing anything thin or buttoned (top to bottom) above it. The tendency to sweat and stuff... well yeah. It's standard dress code for school uniforms and offices.

Strangely enough, my undershirts here were bought in the US. They're just normal white cotton shirts - the lack of anything on them, making them practically entirely one material, and being cotton means they're great for cleaning glass. The "native" undershirts here are considerably more like basketball outfits (whatever you call those sleeveless things).

And aren't vests smaller-than-shirts and worn on the outside?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:53 am UTC

In the UK the word 'vest' generally means an undershirt. I think that 'vest' in the US is what we call a waistcoat, yes?
Ⓞⓞ◯

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:03 am UTC

So says wiki, anyway.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:11 am UTC

bluebambue wrote:One thing that many male swing dancers will do is to bring multiple undershirts or t-shirt for wearing under their nicer shirt. They might sweat a bit more, but once it soaks through the undershirt, they change it. Thus their outer layer stays nice and dry to their partner's touch. I think the same thing could be used for a normal day where one wants to keep the same shirt looking fresh all day.

If I did that, I'd have to change shirts ever 5 minutes.

I need to move to one of the polar circles.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:57 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
bluebambue wrote:One thing that many male swing dancers will do is to bring multiple undershirts or t-shirt for wearing under their nicer shirt. They might sweat a bit more, but once it soaks through the undershirt, they change it. Thus their outer layer stays nice and dry to their partner's touch. I think the same thing could be used for a normal day where one wants to keep the same shirt looking fresh all day.

Even the sweatiest people I know can go at least 5 dances in a packed un-air-conditioned room. You have 20min minimum :)

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:24 am UTC

bluebambue wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

Even the sweatiest people I know can go at least 5 dances in a packed un-air-conditioned room. You have 20min minimum :)

Once I started sweating I'm fairly sure I could sweat through a shirt in under 10 minutes.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:07 am UTC

I could, too.

Anyway,

Steax wrote:TIL: Undershirts are the best tool to clean iPhone, iPod and iPad screens.

Really, yeah, well-worn t-shirts are actually very good cleaning cloths. Great for CDs/DVDs, especially, when you don't want to scratch the damn thing any more when you're trying to clean it. I would, without hesitation, use some of my oldest and most worn t-shirts to clean my $200-$800 camera lenses. As it is, I have dedicated micro fiber cloths for that sort of thing, but still.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:31 am UTC

I found that these dedicated cloths aren't always as effective as old shirts - or, maybe, it's because I'm not worried if I used a shirt to wipe off some water, but I'd rather not wet (and possibly ruin, who knows?) one of those expensive pieces of fabric.

Also, tshirts are huge. I can just do a full swipe in a few seconds and practically clean the thing.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:08 am UTC

I accidentally put one of those lint-free cloths (the one I got with my glasses) in the wash once. It ended up stuck in the dryer's lint trap. For some reason I found that amusing.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:57 am UTC

phlip wrote:I accidentally put one of those lint-free cloths (the one I got with my glasses) in the wash once. It ended up stuck in the dryer's lint trap. For some reason I found that amusing.

If the lint moves without rhythm, it won't attract the cloth.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

math-helper

Postby math-helper » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

Today......I learned that......ibuprofen medication (such as advil, mortin or naproxin) may double the abortion rate in women i.e. from 15% to 30%.

meridian

Postby meridian » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

I need to move to one of the polar circles.

Maybe your undershirts just need to be diaper like, absorbent on the inside, water retentive on the outside. DependsTM for your pits!
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

You can buy those.
Ⓞⓞ◯

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

There's an app for that?
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

math-helper wrote:Today......I learned that......ibuprofen medication (such as advil, mortin or naproxin) may double the abortion rate in women i.e. from 15% to 30%.

...Surely you mean miscarriage?
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

Nope. If you take medications, you're more likely to also trust doctors to help you solve your other problems too.

Like Dr. Babychewer. The man's a professional.

(In all seriousness, I too am assuming the phrase meant was Spontaneous Abortion, also known as a miscarriage.)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:In the UK the word 'vest' generally means an undershirt. I think that 'vest' in the US is what we call a waistcoat, yes?

In Australia, a vest is (usually) a waistcoat, but it can also mean a thick undershirt worn in cold weather. We commonly use the word "singlet" to refer to a sleeveless undershirt. Traditionally, schoolboys and men who worked in offices wore white singlets as undergarments and labourers wore blue singlets, often without any other shirt over the top.

No mention of the Aussie singlet would be complete without a reference to Chesty Bond. :)

These days, the tee-shirt is probably a lot more popular than the traditional singlet, and of course there are plenty of men who don't wear an undershirt, especially in warmer weather, sweat factor notwithstanding. And wearing a singlet without another shirt over it is not just for labourers anymore. :)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:In Australia, [...] We commonly use the word "singlet" to refer to a sleeveless undershirt. Traditionally, schoolboys and men who worked in offices wore white singlets as undergarments and labourers wore blue singlets, often without any other shirt over the top.

Ah, so "singlet" is of Australian origin. I wondered where that came from.

Also, hello from your northern neighbor!

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

Selamat malam! I guess :) (I did learn a little bit of Bahasa Indonesia at school, but that was many years ago.)

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:36 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Nope. If you take medications, you're more likely to also trust doctors to help you solve your other problems too.

Like Dr. Babychewer. The man's a professional.

(In all seriousness, I too am assuming the phrase meant was Spontaneous Abortion, also known as a miscarriage.)

I did not know this phrase was a thing. I learned something today.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:30 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:Selamat malam! I guess :) (I did learn a little bit of Bahasa Indonesia at school, but that was many years ago.)

That would be correct! I didn't know they taught Indonesian at schools there, was that part of the curriculum or just something you wanted to try?

Also, I now recall my original confusion about "singlet", I always thought it had to do with stuff like "piglets". Huh.

fizzgig

Postby fizzgig » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:05 am UTC

Indonesian is taught in schools here. Well at least one school that I know of.

I always assumed 'singlet' was somehow related to 'doublet', but I've never worked out how.

Vest in Australia can also mean a sleeveless jumper - like cricket players wear.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:22 am UTC

Steax wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:Selamat malam! I guess :) (I did learn a little bit of Bahasa Indonesia at school, but that was many years ago.)

That would be correct!

Oh, good. :)
Steax wrote:I didn't know they taught Indonesian at schools there, was that part of the curriculum or just something you wanted to try?)
It was part of the curriculum, but it was just a very short introduction to Indonesian in the first year of high school. It was part of an introduction to language studies which was designed to give students a basic grounding in linguistics and language learning so they'd get a taste of what they'd be up against if they decided to study a language in subsequent years. During that year we learned some elementary linguistics, common Latin & Greek roots that are used in English and Romance languages, some French, and some Indonesian. (I didn't end up taking Indonesian, instead I followed in my mother's footsteps and studied French for 5 years).

Traditionally, almost all foreign languages offered in Australian schools were European languages - primarily French, German, and of course Latin. But in the early '70s it was decided that it was probably a Good Idea to teach kids something about the cultures and languages of our northern neighbours, rather than being so Euro-centric. So my school dropped Latin and started with Indonesian.

These days, a much wider range of Asian languages are taught in Australian high schools, but the growth of trade and cultural connections between Australia and Indonesian didn't happen to the degree predicted, so learning Indonesian these days isn't given the same degree of emphasis that it was given when it was first introduced here. However, there are quite a few schools around the country that have strong Indonesian programs.

A few years ago, I spent a fair bit of time chatting online with a young Malaysian guy who was studying robotics. At the time, I was tempted to try teaching myself Bahasa Malaysia, but I never got around to it. :)

Steax wrote:Also, I now recall my original confusion about "singlet", I always thought it had to do with stuff like "piglets". Huh.

:D * pictures piglets in singlets *

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:24 pm UTC

Ah, I see. That's actually quite interesting - I didn't know Australia did that. I do know that it's the #1 destination for education, though, and quite a few of us end up staying there. Maybe I can visit one day. :D

... There's a "doublet"?

And yeah, I think that "vest" in Indonesia also refers to sleeveless jumpers.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

A doublet was a jacket worn by everyone who performs in period-appropriate Hamlet.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

Isn't doublet a pair of words with only one-letter difference, like ticket and picket?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

I thought a doublet was the twin version of a triplet?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

No, you're thinking of a duplet.

A doublet is a Spanish golden coin, worth two ducats.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

No, you're thinking of doubloon! SHEESH.

Doublet is obviously the capital of Ireland.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

No, you're thinking of Dublin.

A doublet is the first part of the small intestine.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

TIL what a duodenum is.

Doublet is a Pokemon, of course.

Spoiler:
Note: I know very few Pokemon names, and I'm just guessing there's one that sounds like doublet.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Kang

Postby Kang » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:16 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:TIL what a duodenum is.

Spoiler:
Note: I know very few Pokemon names, and I'm just guessing there's one that sounds like doublet.

You're thinking of Diglett.

Doublet is a boss in World of Warcraft.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:38 am UTC

rigwarl wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:TIL what a duodenum is.

Spoiler:

You're thinking of Diglett.

Doublet is a boss in World of Warcraft.

No, Doublet:

It's super effective.
Last edited by Vieto on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:01 am UTC

No, that's a kind of music.

You, sir, name? wrote:
phlip wrote:I accidentally put one of those lint-free cloths (the one I got with my glasses) in the wash once. It ended up stuck in the dryer's lint trap. For some reason I found that amusing.

If the lint moves without rhythm, it won't attract the cloth.

<3
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Anachrome

Postby Anachrome » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

TIL that widower does not, in fact, mean a man who kills a husband, dies, or in some other way causes a woman to become a window.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

Anachrome wrote:TIL that widower does not, in fact, mean a man who kills a husband, dies, or in some other way causes a woman to become a window.

I love this typo.

Yeah the word widower bothers me, because it does sound like it should mean 'one who creates widows' or something like that.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Return to “General”