Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Anachrome

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Anachrome » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:
Anachrome wrote:TIL that widower does not, in fact, mean a man who kills a husband, dies, or in some other way causes a woman to become a window.

I love this typo.

Oops. =0 0=
I did the same thing when I googled the word too. > >

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:41 am UTC

TIL: James A. Garfield (as in, the U.S. president) holds credit for one of the proofs of the Pythagorean Theorem.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:47 pm UTC

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:09 am UTC

broken_escalator wrote:TIL: fingers wrinkle for better traction.

Whoa. Very cool, thanks.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

TIL: I have sent over 5500 emails in the past three years.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

Today I Learned: Facebook has shown me that most of my friends are clever, thoughtful people. But the vast majority of my family, and most of the people that I accepted 'Friend' requests from (because they're friends of those family members) are illiterate superstitious morons that are, quite possibly, the prime reason for holding back humanity's progress.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

As the saying goes, you choose your friends, you don't choose your family.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:20 pm UTC

Unless you adopt!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

Today I Learned: There is a Donner Pass Picnic Area.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

Awesome.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

TIL: who scarlett johanson is; I have not seen the pictures though.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

On the left, in 2001, from my favourite movie, Ghost World.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Today I Learned: There is a Donner Pass Picnic Area.

Sounds like a good place for a party...

I suspect few people outside the USA would know about the Donner Party, unless they study US history. I only found out about it when I stumbled upon the Ric Burns documentary late one night on TV. After seeing that doco, I read Ordeal By Hunger. After learning about the Donner Party, I realized that I'd been oblivious to various popular cultural references to it over the years.

TiLt
Location: North of where all of the convicts got shipped to from Old England Town

Postby TiLt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:47 pm UTC

TIL that at the end of a school term, browsing the fora is quite relaxng when the teachers haven't got anything for you to do.
Guns and Banjos, odd band.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:07 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:

I suspect few people outside the USA would know about the Donner Party, unless they study US history. I only found out about it when I stumbled upon the Ric Burns documentary late one night on TV. After seeing that doco, I read Ordeal By Hunger. After learning about the Donner Party, I realized that I'd been oblivious to various popular cultural references to it over the years.

There are other ways people might find out.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:

You think?

Or are there people in this thread only now going "Oooooooooohhhh... NOW I get it."
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

Yeah seriously, I never got that comic.

But I haven't read what you've been talking about either. Blissful, this ignorance is.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

TIL: Lake Michigan and Huron are technically one lake.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

roband wrote:Yeah seriously, I never got that comic.

But I haven't read what you've been talking about either. Blissful, this ignorance is.

You're familiar with the Uruguay rugby team in the Andes mountains? The Donner party was basically that, in Covered Wagons in the late 1800s.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:13 pm UTC

How about the mid 1800s, about 15 years before the Civil War?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party_timeline

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Torvaun wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:

You think?

Or are there people in this thread only now going "Oooooooooohhhh... NOW I get it."

Oooooooooohhhh... NOW I get it.
Ptolom wrote:penis

roband

Postby roband » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

You're familiar with the Uruguay rugby team in the Andes mountains? The Donner party was basically that, in Covered Wagons in the late 1800s.

Nice. The comic does make more sense now.

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Just to clarify a minor point - it was a Uruguayan club team, not the national side #notreallyrelevant
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Whammy

Postby Whammy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:48 pm UTC

Today I learned that, in the context of sociology, 'hookup' culture involves alcohol and sexual favors (really simplifying it here...I should find that article about it again). This makes a comment I made the day before rather embarrassing since, having thought hookup was just the 'hip' way of trying to discuss people getting together for like dating and such, I had joked maybe I should read this book about Hookup culture one of the sociology classes was reading for tips on how to pick up a girl.

On a larger point I am continuing to learn I should really, really ask for clarification on what a term means instead of assuming it.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:07 pm UTC

I have had lunch at the Donner picnic area more than once.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Image

On the left, in 2001, from my favourite movie, Ghost World.

My relation to this film is severely tainted by hype aversion which led to massive hype backlash.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:34 am UTC

Whammy wrote:Today I learned that, in the context of sociology, 'hookup' culture involves alcohol and sexual favors (really simplifying it here...I should find that article about it again). This makes a comment I made the day before rather embarrassing since, having thought hookup was just the 'hip' way of trying to discuss people getting together for like dating and such, I had joked maybe I should read this book about Hookup culture one of the sociology classes was reading for tips on how to pick up a girl.

On a larger point I am continuing to learn I should really, really ask for clarification on what a term means instead of assuming it.
I have found that in real life hookup culture can refer to a variety of things. The thing I associate hookup culture with is people having casual sex and/or having partners for a short time. I would say that an article defining hookup culture isn't going to be the be-all end-all definition of what that phrase means to people.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:49 am UTC

Honestly, I don't even know what this "hookup culture" thing is. Every time I've read about it, the article is written by someone who seems determined to handwring over it in the "young'uns these days" kind of way. My college experience consisted of friends who were monogamous for years, friends who had shorter relationships, friends who hooked up with a few people, friends who hooked up with a lot of people, friends who were celibate, and we all mixed pretty freely - not to mention moved in and out of each category at various times. There wasn't a systematic enforcement of any particular relationship behavior.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Kang

Postby Kang » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:54 am UTC

You young folks these days don't enforce any particular relationship behaviour systematically...

P.S.:
Yea, to me it sounds about the same.

Whammy

Postby Whammy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:26 am UTC

Well, however you want to define it, the larger point is that due to misuse of a word within a certain situation I accidentally implied I was hoping for a casual sexual relationship of sorts with this girl I'm interested in instead of just wanting to get to know her better XD. Granted they knew what I meant when I was talking about (the sociology students; girl was not involved in this at all); it was just a funny misunderstanding on my part. More important, reinforcing the lesson knowing what the meaning of the terms you're trying to use in a conversation. Especially if said terms have a meaning different from what you are assuming they are meaning.

Edit: Beh, I forgot the copy of the article I have is PDF format. It was "The Decline of the Date and the Rise of the College Hook Up" by Paula England and Reuben J. Thomas if you want to try and find a copy of it online since I'm probably still new enough to not be trusted with linking stuff and what's not XD.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:52 am UTC

To me "hookups" was a string of unhealthy one-night-stands that I did for no good reason (if there was one, I quite honestly cannot remember it; I was in withdrawal from psychiatric medication). I slept with something like 8 guys and 2 girls in under 2 months and never saw any of them again and it was, frankly, monumentally unsatisfying.

... [/ weird personal stories]
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

deskjethp

Postby deskjethp » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:46 am UTC

TIL that the projectors at the university have motion detectors in them so that if you cause them to move, "public safety" people charge into the room demanding to know who is trying to steal the projector.

Ghost World... I saw that on television one night. I didn't get it. I thought the point was supposed to be something about that girl becoming a 'ghost' like everyone else by not using her artistic flair and then riding away with the ghosts on the non-existent bus, having become one of them. It seemed to be a statement about conformity being ruinous. I'm not sure if that was the idea or not though.
arbivark wrote:when i was first a tenant at 19, i was probably a nuisance .. a bother, to the landlord because i'd do stuff like, hey there's a fireplace here, get me a hammer, hey if i make a hole in my ceiling there's an attic that runs the length of the rowhouses.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:20 am UTC

My relation to this film is severely tainted by hype aversion which led to massive hype backlash.

Oh that's a shame, I saw it like Deskjethp randomly on tv one day.

And it's not really my favourite film because of the statements it made or anything ( which are different for everybody ) but because I could relate to the characters so much.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:33 am UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Oh that's a shame, I saw it like Deskjethp randomly on tv one day.

And it's not really my favourite film because of the statements it made or anything ( which are different for everybody ) but because I could relate to the characters so much.
Microscopic cog wrote:saw it like Deskjethp randomly on tv one day.
Microscopic cog wrote:Deskjethp

My sleep-deprived brain is trying to decide if this is a word. (Also the only things I remember about Ghost World are Steve Buscemi and Scarlett Johansson's thighs.)

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:34 am UTC

It's the username of the poster above me, I was refering to what he said.

Nonetheless, the sentence isn't fluid but I can't decide if it's incorrect or not.
Spoiler:

Kang

Postby Kang » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:48 am UTC

HP DeskJet. You know...

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:00 am UTC

It's no use, I'm afraid I'm forever going to read that as Desk-the-jep, Like Jack-the-lad, but with less real words.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:50 am UTC

To me it is Deskjethp the Egyptian god of printers.
Ⓞⓞ◯

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:27 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:To me it is Deskjethp the Egyptian god of printers.

I think Pcloadletr is the mesoamerican equivalent.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Kang

Postby Kang » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

Prince Lexmark the Printed?

Return to “General”