Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Felstaff » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:23 am UTC

(I think what was found is implied
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:31 am UTC

I think they were trying to say that they
PRG

An important message for you:

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

Maybe it was some hot Freakazoid-on-Candlejack po

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

bluebambue wrote:
rigwarl wrote:
bluebambue wrote:I think it is more like that an actual AI could get out eventually. They have a longer time to learn about their gatekeeper and could also bribe the gatekeeper with things like "I will make you lots of money on the stock market."

This is assuming that the AI is intelligent in the same way humans are, but more so. I think it will be quite some time (if ever) before we have a AI that has the same amount of "creativity" as humans and the same understanding of the human psyche as most humans do.

Are we talking about the game still or a real life example? Bribing the gatekeeper is not allowed in the game protocol.
Real life.

For a real life scenario I agree the AI will definitely get out eventually. For the 2 hour game, I am 99.999999% confident that no AI player can win vs me as gatekeeper.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

TIL: FTP explicitly forbids pipelining. With forty some thousand files to transfer and no shell access to the other end, this kind of sucks.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:34 am UTC

Kewangji wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Fantasy

Landslide.

AI in a box wrote:Easy come, easy go. Will you let me go?
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:38 am UTC

Today I learned that there is a term for a fear that I've had for a while but never known quite how to describe.

It's called Trypophobia, it was made up by the internet, and running an Image Search of it has left me freaking right the hell out.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:01 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:Today I learned that there is a term for a fear that I've had for a while but never known quite how to describe.

It's called Trypophobia, it was made up by the internet, and running an Image Search of it has left me freaking right the hell out.

And for those who do not want to click the link (which is NSFL btw): Trypophobia is the fear of holes in the skin caused by a bot fly or skin condition.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:05 am UTC

Just holes in a surface. Like Lotus seed pods, or speaker grilles or that type of toad that hatches it's offspring in its back. Doesn't have to be skin or caused by botflies.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:11 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:Today I learned that there is a term for a fear that I've had for a while but never known quite how to describe.

That site disturbs me because it's specifically trying to scare people with the images. Look, if people are terrified by something, why show them that exact thing on a website about the phobia? People are there for help, not to be scared.

I'm sure many people find those disturbing. I find them to be quite disturbing, but not to do with holes; for me, it's as much as about seeing blood or open body parts. I do have a separate feeling of unease at seed pods and things, but this is more because of the soft, squishy texture which I just want to pop. Speaker grilles can be distracting for me in the same way I'd imagine fingernails on blackboards. The sensation isn't very nice.

--

But yeah, that link is not safe for people who don't like seeing holes in people, for whatever reason. I regret clicking it.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:32 am UTC

I do not mind holes in people, or blood or whatchamacallit, but skin disease caused holes... uugghghhhh!
Ptolom wrote:penis

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

Two days ago, I bumped my knuckle into a window handle and that cut short, shallow groove in my skin. Didn't feel a thing at the time. Now it's annoying as it hurts ever so slightly when I bend my finger.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:00 pm UTC

Today I learned that I still have much to learn, and the process by which I learn is often so painful that I dread to learn, yet I must embrace it or I will embrace death.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
That site disturbs me because it's specifically trying to scare people with the images. Look, if people are terrified by something, why show them that exact thing on a website about the phobia? People are there for help, not to be scared.

I'm sure many people find those disturbing. I find them to be quite disturbing, but not to do with holes; for me, it's as much as about seeing blood or open body parts. I do have a separate feeling of unease at seed pods and things, but this is more because of the soft, squishy texture which I just want to pop. Speaker grilles can be distracting for me in the same way I'd imagine fingernails on blackboards. The sensation isn't very nice.

--

But yeah, that link is not safe for people who don't like seeing holes in people, for whatever reason. I regret clicking it.
Zarq wrote:
And for those who do not want to click the link (which is NSFL btw): Trypophobia is the fear of holes in the skin caused by a bot fly or skin condition.

I Am Raven wrote:I do not mind holes in people, or blood or whatchamacallit, but skin disease caused holes... uugghghhhh!

Today I learned to always put warnings on potentially disturbing links, lest I make everyone else freak out along with me.

Sorry about that, guys. I thought an explanation would be needed, but I should've put some warning as to what I was posting. I will be more careful in the future.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:47 am UTC

Spoiler:
TaintedDeity wrote:that type of toad that hatches it's offspring in its back

While I have known those to exist for a while, the mental image that I get is just *bleccch*.

emceng

Postby emceng » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:09 pm UTC

TIL I can't sleep on my stomach. Fuck.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

God has a plan for me. It does not involve pussy. This is a good thing. His plans work out much better than my own.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:58 pm UTC

A life without domestic cats? That's a sad thing.

TIL: selling on eBay is far more stressful than buying. I'm now locked in an argument with some shit who, having bought a watch from me listed as not working, sold as seen, no returns, thinks I should give him 40% of his money back because it doesn't work. I've offered him that I'll give him a full refund if he returns the watch, but no, he just wants a discount. Cute.

I'm pissed off because after 7 years of 100% feedback some git is going to file a negative comment just because I wouldn't let him fleece me of 100€. Apart from responding to his comment, unless he actually slanders me I don't think there is much I can do. Permission to say, 'cock'?
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:A life without domestic cats? That's a sad thing.

It is. I like cats. I miss my friend Catherine. No cats for me though. Those mammalian comforts of touchy feely whatnots are a part of my past now. Now.... now I have God.

God should be enough.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

At the risk of committing a deep sacrilege (see previous posts for my often difficult personal relationship with the supreme being) God has never, to the best of my knowledge, entertained a room full of my friends by sitting in the middle of the rug washing his/her nether regions for 10 minutes then, very thoughtfully and deliberately, coughing up a fur ball. To be honest, I don't think you have to chose. I think you are allowed to have both.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:28 pm UTC

If it's any consolation, those top two pictures on that websites are shoops.

(No idea on the bottom of those two, but the top is actually a lotus plant, proof under this spoiler)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

the bottom one looks like part of the moon.
ImageImageImageImageImage

ars111

Postby ars111 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

That a smart model is a good model.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:At the risk of committing a deep sacrilege (see previous posts for my often difficult personal relationship with the supreme being) God has never, to the best of my knowledge, entertained a room full of my friends by sitting in the middle of the rug washing his/her nether regions for 10 minutes then, very thoughtfully and deliberately, coughing up a fur ball. To be honest, I don't think you have to chose. I think you are allowed to have both.

Unless by God you mean Bast.
Last edited by Ptolom on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

Holy crap. Huge picture is huge.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:Holy crap. Huge picture is huge.

Sorry, I didn't notice until it was too late; it's gone now.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:43 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:
Jumble wrote:At the risk of committing a deep sacrilege (see previous posts for my often difficult personal relationship with the supreme being) God has never, to the best of my knowledge, entertained a room full of my friends by sitting in the middle of the rug washing his/her nether regions for 10 minutes then, very thoughtfully and deliberately, coughing up a fur ball. To be honest, I don't think you have to chose. I think you are allowed to have both.

Unless by God you mean Bast.

Egyptian cat god is best god.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:33 am UTC

*Bast god.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:41 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:*Bast god.

... Dammit. I should've seen that.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:47 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:*Bast god.

not to be confused with based god.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:11 am UTC

Jave D wrote:God should be enough.

They said the same thing about Pinocchio.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:33 am UTC

Well, when I consider that a cat has been a guardian angel more or less literally saving my life, and my belief that God is all-present and works through mysterious means, I think you're right in more ways than one.

But more seriously, I'm not sure I can reconcile my happy and spiritual existence with one focused in any real way on a sexual or romantic relationship, and am starting to believe rather strongly that at least for me, I do have to choose. Some people can have both, perhaps, but it's looking like I just might be dancing a bit too closely to hell and personal damnation if I try.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am UTC

Haha! Your beliefs fill me with mirth.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

Alternatively, you could choose a god from the god-buffet who would allow both? They all have or had devoted believers behind them, you could do worse to do a little comparison shopping.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:45 pm UTC

Now I'm thinking about that bank commercial from a few years back where the commercial was saying something along the lines of the banks should be shopping for you instead of the other way around and it showed a couple in their living room with various bankers coming through like they were interviewing for their business.

So I'm picturing something similar for deities.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:46 pm UTC

Wouldn't that involve them proving themselves?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

I'm okay with that.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Alternatively, you could choose a god from the god-buffet who would allow both? They all have or had devoted believers behind them, you could do worse to do a little comparison shopping.

I believe they are all one and the same. The names differ but the truth is the same.

pseudoidiot wrote:Now I'm thinking about that bank commercial from a few years back where the commercial was saying something along the lines of the banks should be shopping for you instead of the other way around and it showed a couple in their living room with various bankers coming through like they were interviewing for their business.

So I'm picturing something similar for deities.

He passed a most excellent interview, though it wasn't nearly so pleasant and convenient an experience as shopping.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Haha! Your beliefs fill me with mirth.

Good! Me too. My God has a sense of humor. Example: farting.

Gear

Postby Gear » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:36 pm UTC

TIL that I can ace a science test on 1.5 hours of sleep. The same cannot be said for French. I think that my GPA will average out (*crosses fingers and hopes*).
“What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?”
~Calvin and Hobbes

Kang

Postby Kang » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

Jave D wrote:But more seriously, I'm not sure I can reconcile my happy and spiritual existence with one focused in any real way on a sexual or romantic relationship, and am starting to believe rather strongly that at least for me, I do have to choose. Some people can have both, perhaps, but it's looking like I just might be dancing a bit too closely to hell and personal damnation if I try.

Weren't you talking about God vs a cat earlier? The hell?

Return to “General”