Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jobriath

Re: Today I Learned

Postby jobriath » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:37 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:We say "shopping centre Father Christmas". It's not quite so punchy as mall Santa though.

Some of us say "the grotto", where Father Christmasses are understood to be found.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:45 am UTC

Only the grotty ones.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:14 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Only the grotty ones.

* visions of Albert Steptoe as a department store Santa *

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:08 pm UTC

Someone, of the opposite gender, told me that they wanted a kid. After a few minutes of confusion, I learned it was a baby goat.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:48 am UTC

TIL: There are three things Pelican Cases does not guarantee their products against: Shark bites, bear attacks, and children under the age of 5.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:53 am UTC

TIL: I'm a National Merit Scholarship semifinalist! :D
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:07 am UTC

thorgold wrote:TIL: I'm a National Merit Scholarship semifinalist! :D

Nice! :D

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:14 am UTC

Adacore wrote:

Thanks. Though pretty much the only barrier between semifinalist and finalist is YET MORE PAPERWORK. Combined with Service Academy and ROTC paperwork, I'm rapidly losing control of the situation in my file cabinet.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:31 am UTC

thorgold wrote:
Adacore wrote:

Thanks. Though pretty much the only barrier between semifinalist and finalist is YET MORE PAPERWORK. Combined with Service Academy and ROTC paperwork, I'm rapidly losing control of the situation in my file cabinet.

Keep at it! Buy a second filing cabinet if you have to!

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:09 am UTC

thorgold wrote:Thanks. Though pretty much the only barrier between semifinalist and finalist is YET MORE PAPERWORK. Combined with Service Academy and ROTC paperwork, I'm rapidly losing control of the situation in my file cabinet.

When I was up for a national merit scholarship my dad told me to look at it this way: Sure, compared to the cost of a full college education, the amount may be piddling, but if you figure out how long it will take you to complete the application, and then calculate an hourly wage, it's the best paid job you will have for quite a long time, if ever.

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:35 am UTC

Dire wolves are real. Should I feel dumb for not knowing that?

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:25 pm UTC

TIL: That sauce that some fast-food restaurants put on hamburgers? The sauce that looks like ketchup (red sauce to you Brits), but seems to have a more reddish-orange hue? You've probably known it's ketchup and mustard mixed together, since that's what most people put on their burgers. It has a third ingredient: PICKLE JUICE! I was at a Jack's (hamburger restaurant based out of Alabama, with a handful of locations in Georgia) ordering a double cheeseburger today, and asked for no mayonnaise, since they're notorious for doing that. I was informed they don't put mayo on the double cheeseburgers; just the Big Jack burgers. The associate asked if I wanted ketchup and mustard only instead of their sauce. I asked what was in the sauce. She said it had ketchup, mustard, and pickle juice. I told her give me that, and onion.
PRG

An important message for you:

roband

Postby roband » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:33 pm UTC

Today You Also Learned, us Brits know what ketchup is ;) haha

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

roband wrote:Today You Also Learned, us Brits know what ketchup is ;) haha
TIL that not all Brits use proper English.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

jasonmarz

Postby jasonmarz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:52 pm UTC

Today I learned there are so many people who don't care their co-workers.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:02 pm UTC

Much like family, you probably didn't choose to be around them and are merely forced into their company due to circumstance.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:47 pm UTC

My printer, which I've had for over two and a half years, has templates for printing notebook paper, graph paper, staff paper, and checklist paper.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:43 am UTC

TIL 11x17 paper != 17x11 paper. The direction of the grain is usually the last measurement given.

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:33 am UTC

Kithplana wrote:TIL 11x17 paper != 17x11 paper. The direction of the grain is usually the last measurement given.

TIL paper has grain. I just thought it was randomly-aligned.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:The sauce that looks like ketchup (red sauce to you Brits)

TIL that I don't know the word "ketchup" and instead use "red sauce".

(I have never heard of red sauce, in any context.)
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:16 pm UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:The sauce that looks like ketchup (red sauce to you Brits)

TIL that I don't know the word "ketchup" and instead use "red sauce".

(I have never heard of red sauce, in any context.)

TIL:

In the 1690s the Chinese mixed a concoction of pickled fish and spices and called it (in the Amoy dialect) kôe-chiap or kê-chiap (鮭汁, Mandarin guī zhī) meaning the brine of pickled fish (鮭, carp; 汁, juice) or shellfish.

By the early 18th century, the table sauce had made it to the Malay states (present day Malaysia and Singapore), where it was discovered by British explorers, and by 1740, it had become a British staple. The Malay word for the sauce was kĕchap. That word evolved into the English word "ketchup".
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:40 am UTC

TIL About random number generators throughout the information age, from the tick-from-startup seed RNGs of gaming consoles to the IBM charlie foxtrot to the RNGs that use cosmic background radiation to ensure randomness.

Also, from a philosophical standpoint, there's a debate whether there's a difference between "random" and "unpredictably chaotic." Is there randomness in our universe, or would it be possible to predict everything given enough information (and processing power for a simulator?).

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:30 am UTC

Today I learned that my teacher is a French Knight, and uses her knightly ribbon to get into places whenever she visits France.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

thorgold wrote:TIL About random number generators throughout the information age, from the tick-from-startup seed RNGs of gaming consoles to the IBM charlie foxtrot to the RNGs that use cosmic background radiation to ensure randomness.

Also, from a philosophical standpoint, there's a debate whether there's a difference between "random" and "unpredictably chaotic." Is there randomness in our universe, or would it be possible to predict everything given enough information (and processing power for a simulator?).
Given that you can't know the speed of something if you know where it is… I'd say it is impossible.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:37 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:
thorgold wrote:TIL About random number generators throughout the information age, from the tick-from-startup seed RNGs of gaming consoles to the IBM charlie foxtrot to the RNGs that use cosmic background radiation to ensure randomness.

Given that you can't know the speed of something if you know where it is… I'd say it is impossible.

I'd assume that would fall under the category of "having enough information;" as I understand it, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is mostly related to the logistical difficulties involved in measuring things by bouncing other things of similar size off of them. While we're talking logistics, we'd also need a computer with universe-sized storage capacity, which would need to be universe-sized itself. (Processing power itself less necessary, provided you aren't in any hurry to get the results. )
Have you given up?

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

Apparently,
(-1/2)! = sqrt(pi)
I... what?

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:53 pm UTC

rath358 wrote:Apparently,
(-1/2)! = sqrt(pi)
I... what?

What the hell?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:54 pm UTC

Noc wrote:
Kewangji wrote:

I'd assume that would fall under the category of "having enough information;" as I understand it, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is mostly related to the logistical difficulties involved in measuring things by bouncing other things of similar size off of them. While we're talking logistics, we'd also need a computer with universe-sized storage capacity, which would need to be universe-sized itself. (Processing power itself less necessary, provided you aren't in any hurry to get the results. )

I think what this means is: theoretically, we could predict everything given enough information, but also theoretically, we can never have enough information.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:44 pm UTC

Noc wrote:we'd also need a computer with universe-sized storage capacity, which would need to be universe-sized itself. (Processing power itself less necessary, provided you aren't in any hurry to get the results. )
We use compression to store stuff as smaller than the actual thing. Mostly this uses tables of repeated patterns, of which I'm sure we could find many of in the universe. However, if the medium for storing information is sufficiently larger than the information even after compression, then the physical storage size would be larger than the universe.

TIL Checkers is solved.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:53 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I think what this means is: theoretically, we could predict everything given enough information, but also theoretically, we can never have enough information.

I was under the impression that it's a lot more fundamental than that; basically, such information does not exist. A particle physically doesn't have well defined position and momentum, and it's not some hidden variable a la EPR, which is shown pretty effectively with Bell's theorem.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:14 am UTC

yurell wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:I think what this means is: theoretically, we could predict everything given enough information, but also theoretically, we can never have enough information.

I was under the impression that it's a lot more fundamental than that; basically, such information does not exist. A particle physically doesn't have well defined position and momentum, and it's not some hidden variable a la EPR, which is shown pretty effectively with Bell's theorem.

Yurell is correct and Scyphozoa is not so much. It is an astounding truth that we can even functionally distinguish between ignorance and uncertainty. All hail indeterminism!
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:08 am UTC

Noc wrote:[...] as I understand it, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is mostly related to the logistical difficulties involved in measuring things by bouncing other things of similar size off of them.

Not really; that's a fairly common misconception - which Heisenberg himself was guilty of promoting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle wrote:Mathematically, the uncertainty relation between position and momentum arises because the expressions of the wavefunction in the two corresponding bases are Fourier transforms of one another (i.e., position and momentum are conjugate variables).

A similar tradeoff between the variances of Fourier conjugates arises wherever Fourier analysis is needed, for example in sound waves. A pure tone is a sharp spike at a single frequency. Its Fourier transform gives the shape of the sound wave in the time domain, which is a completely delocalized sine wave. In quantum mechanics, the two key points are that the position of the particle takes the form of a matter wave, and momentum is its Fourier conjugate, assured by the de Broglie relation p=\hbar k, where k is the wavenumber.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rath358 wrote:Apparently,
(-1/2)! = sqrt(pi)
I... what?

Well, the factorial function is only defined on positive integers, so your consternation is understandable. However, the gamma function is defined over the complex numbers (except for the non-positive integers), and Gamma(n) = (n-1)!, for n a positive integer, so we can use the gamma function to extend and interpolate the factorial function, if we so desire.

Also see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_continuation wrote:In complex analysis, a branch of mathematics, analytic continuation is a technique to extend the domain of a given analytic function. Analytic continuation often succeeds in defining further values of a function, for example in a new region where an infinite series representation in terms of which it is initially defined becomes divergent.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:18 am UTC

Yeah, the gamma function thingy.
I am still somewhat confused by the whole thing. Probably similar to the standard reaction to e^(i*pi) thing...

(edit: translation: I will re-read your post when I am not about to fall asleep)

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:34 am UTC

Maybe it'd be helpful to think about a simpler example, rath358.

We can define the triangular numbers as the successive sums of the non-negative integers:
T(0)=0, T(1)=1, T(2)=3, T(3)=6, T(4)=10, T(5)=15, etc. So T(n+1) = T(n) + n+1
However, we can also generate those numbers using T(n) = n(n+1)/2, and that formula gives us a way to assign a value of T(n) for any n. Eg, T(1/2) = 3/8.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:40 pm UTC

rath358 wrote:Yeah, the gamma function thingy.
I am still somewhat confused by the whole thing. Probably similar to the standard reaction to e^(i*pi) thing...

(edit: translation: I will re-read your post when I am not about to fall asleep)

Fuck yeah! Euler's is awesome!
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:12 pm UTC

TIL there's a twitter account that identifies and retweets instances of people tweeting pictures of their debit cards.

Didn't know they made people that stupid.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:31 am UTC

Today I learnt the difference between digitigrade, plantigrade and unguligrade. This fascination with biology is leading me down a dark and terrible road ...
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:40 pm UTC

yurell wrote:Today I learnt the difference between digitigrade, plantigrade and unguligrade. This fascination with biology is leading me down a dark and terrible road ...

Something to do with toes?

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:50 pm UTC

Today my mom, biological dad, and I learned that while helping him to apply for social security (we just moved him up to Georgia from Florida last night), he had supposedly received two checks back in September and October 2011, which he claimed he never received, because he had just been admitted to the nursing home at the time, and they (the nursing home) claimed were never received. Turned out the checks were still mailed to his old address, which was a boarding house he stayed in, and they had apparently been cashed. SSA (Social Security Administration) has opened up an investigation, and I believe my mom will be as well. If it is what we suspect, someone's going to become a member of Club Fed.
PRG

An important message for you:

Return to “General”