Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

Then you learned the wrong lesson.

Hardware components from the Dollar Store are perfect for when the objective is to completely destroy the hardware component.

This is their only acceptable usage.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:04 pm UTC

Hahaha. Before today I totally thought that the idea of Canadians saying "oot" or "aboot" was a joke started by Americans.

TIL it's not!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:42 pm UTC

I still can't tell the difference between American and Canadian accents. More and more, I find myself convinced that they're actually speaking in exactly the same accent, and they're just telling us otherwise to fuck with our heads.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:50 pm UTC

Well, the Canadian who made me realise has very distinct "oo" noises

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:54 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I still can't tell the difference between American and Canadian accents. More and more, I find myself convinced that they're actually speaking in exactly the same accent, and they're just telling us otherwise to fuck with our heads.

That's because depending on where you are, they're similar. Compare Boston, to Texas, to Omaha, and you see significant differences. Compare Omaha to Des Moines, not much. Northern states like Minnnesota have people that sound similar to Canadians(see Fargo).

In short, yes, they're not that different.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:00 pm UTC

It's like people mixing up Aussie and Kiwi accents — on the broad range of accents they're not that different, but chances are that if you're from either country you'll notice it fairly quickly.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:03 pm UTC

I've never had issues with those. Aussies are fairly distinguishable, and Kiwis just sound like they randomly pick a vowel sound each time they have to use one! ;)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:00 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I still can't tell the difference between American and Canadian accents. More and more, I find myself convinced that they're actually speaking in exactly the same accent, and they're just telling us otherwise to fuck with our heads.

Which ones?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:15 pm UTC

Oh, God. Not that map...
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:18 pm UTC

It's almost as fun as this one to help Europeans learn the scale of North America. Because sometimes they seem to think that Chicago and LA are as close as London and Paris. When it's more like London and Moscow.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:36 pm UTC

silly Europeans, Canadians don't have accents. :P

roband

Postby roband » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:37 pm UTC

:D

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:39 pm UTC

Actually, that one is pretty neat.

EDIT: Er, that was in reference to the map.
Last edited by Giant Speck on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:42 pm UTC

Last edited by Daimon on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:46 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's almost as fun as this one to help Europeans learn the scale of North America. Because sometimes they seem to think that Chicago and LA are as close as London and Paris. When it's more like London and Moscow.

To an American, 100 years is a long time. To a European, 100 miles is a long distance. We both have a screwed up sense of perspective one way or the other.

Edit: China on the other hand... they'd laugh at numbers as small as these. I seem to recall some Chinese official being asked recently what he thought the impact of the French revolution was. He answered "it's too soon to tell".
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:14 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's almost as fun as this one to help Europeans learn the scale of North America. Because sometimes they seem to think that Chicago and LA are as close as London and Paris. When it's more like London and Moscow.

Oh, the US is smaller than I thought.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:25 am UTC

yurell wrote:It's like people mixing up Aussie and Kiwi accents — on the broad range of accents they're not that different, but chances are that if you're from either country you'll notice it fairly quickly.

N-no one has linked this yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2gii2nenUg
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:25 am UTC

yurell wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:It's almost as fun as this one to help Europeans learn the scale of North America. Because sometimes they seem to think that Chicago and LA are as close as London and Paris. When it's more like London and Moscow.

Yeah, that was my reaction, too.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:55 am UTC

yurell wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:It's almost as fun as this one to help Europeans learn the scale of North America. Because sometimes they seem to think that Chicago and LA are as close as London and Paris. When it's more like London and Moscow.

Keep in mind, LA to Chicago is only about 2/3 of the way across the country. It's still another 7-800 miles on to New York.

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:08 pm UTC

I was more thinking along the lines of:
Spoiler:

SuperTD

Postby SuperTD » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:18 pm UTC

I learnt that de Broglie is pronounced "de Broi" as opposed to "de Bro-glee".
nightlina wrote:Damn.. if there was a cannon ball thrown for every time someone was wrong on the internet.. well... I don't think we'd have enough cannon balls!

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:59 pm UTC

yurell wrote:I was more thinking along the lines of:
Spoiler:

Just rotating it in my mind, if you turned Australia in that image so the Bight lined up more evenly with the U.S-Mexico border, and Townsville, Cairns, Cooktown lined up with Washington, New York, Boston, respectively, there's only a negligible difference in size, once you account for Florida and Tasmania.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:13 pm UTC

Also, Alaska. But the basic fact remains that Australia is an awful lot bigger than I thought it was.

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:41 pm UTC

Taking only the contiguous states, Australia is roughly the same size as the USA (~2.5% smaller). The other states bring that up to about 25%.

Still, I'd imagined the US as being a lot bigger; I've no idea why. This is what we get for always comparing sizes on maps which (by necessity) have major distortions. Oh well, it's a nice bit of education in TIL for me! ^.^

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:45 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:Also, Alaska. But the basic fact remains that Australia is an awful lot bigger than I thought it was.

There's a part of me that wants to make a mean joke aimed at Alaska and Hawaii, but there could be people from those states on here and I really just wanna make friends so maybe not.

<_<

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

yurell wrote:Taking only the contiguous states, Australia is roughly the same size as the USA (~2.5% smaller). The other states bring that up to about 25%.

Still, I'd imagined the US as being a lot bigger; I've no idea why. This is what we get for always comparing sizes on maps which (by necessity) have major distortions. Oh well, it's a nice bit of education in TIL for me! ^.^
Australia and the continental US are about the same, mass-wise.

Population density, on the other hand... Australia doesn't have much in the Interior, the US is dense on the East, gets less dense as you go further west and kinda dies off at the Mississippi River, then picks up again when you hit the West Coast.

steve waterman

Postby steve waterman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:42 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
yurell wrote:Taking only the contiguous states, Australia is roughly the same size as the USA (~2.5% smaller). The other states bring that up to about 25%.

Australia and the continental US are about the same, mass-wise.

Population density, on the other hand... Australia doesn't have much in the Interior, the US is dense on the East, gets less dense as you go further west and kinda dies off at the Mississippi River, then picks up again when you hit the West Coast.

Areas on this projection map are within 10 percent of areas on globe.
Antarctica is also the proper shape as many projections fail to replicate.
Notice the relative size of Greenland versus Africa or versus South America.
http://watermanpolyhedron.com/
"While statistics and measurements can be misleading, mathematics itself, is not subjective."
"Be careful of what you believe, you are likely to make it the truth."
steve

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

It MIGHT be because of the US' population centers vs Australia. This map seems to show that if you're traveling between two cities in Australia, you're probably not going further than 700ish miles. As SexyTalon pointed out, the US is not structured like that. You're likely to be traveling three thousand or so.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:39 pm UTC

Do you use the horse? You don't get to limit yourself to Boston and Sacramento
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

firechicago

Postby firechicago » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:44 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:It MIGHT be because of the US' population centers vs Australia. This map seems to show that if you're traveling between two cities in Australia, you're probably not going further than 700ish miles. As SexyTalon pointed out, the US is not structured like that. You're likely to be traveling three thousand or so.

It's also about having a more even arrangement. Australia's population is heavily concentrated on the east and southeast coasts, with almost nothing in the interior, while even the relatively empty parts of America have significant population centers here and there. SecondTalon said that there's not much between between the Mississippi River and the west coast, which is true if you're comparing it to the Bos-Wash corridor or to the built-up parts of the west coast. But that "not much" includes at least one city in the same league (population-wise) with Sydney (Houston) and several cities with populations of several million in their metro area (Denver, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, etc.) and a whole bunch of lesser population centers (Omaha, Kansas City, etc.) So America feels like it has more space because we use more of it.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:53 pm UTC

Here in Australia, we'd be more likely to call that "cluttered" than "spacious".
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 pm UTC

steve waterman wrote:Areas on this projection map are within 10 percent of areas on globe.

I just noticed that your map projection looks a lot like the dymaxion one.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:26 pm UTC

yurell wrote:
steve waterman wrote:Areas on this projection map are within 10 percent of areas on globe.

I just noticed that your map projection looks a lot like the dymaxion one.

PSST. Whatever you do, don't say that the Waterman is just a rip-off of the Cahill projection. *wink*
I looked out across the river today …

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:27 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Edit: China on the other hand... they'd laugh at numbers as small as these. I seem to recall some Chinese official being asked recently what he thought the impact of the French revolution was. He answered "it's too soon to tell".
Eh, the written tradition of history is arguably older in the Greco-Roman tradition than it is for China, from what I have gathered.

I'd love to be proved wrong on this (or the opposite), since I've been having trouble getting the timelines straight in my head.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

firechicago

Postby firechicago » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:58 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Edit: China on the other hand... they'd laugh at numbers as small as these. I seem to recall some Chinese official being asked recently what he thought the impact of the French revolution was. He answered "it's too soon to tell".

I think that was Zhou Enlai. And people who were there say that in the context of the conversation it was clear he was referring to the general strike of 1968 (just a couple years before he made the remark), not the revolution of 1789.

http://mediamythalert.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/too-early-to-say-zhou-was-speaking-about-1968-not-1789/

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 am UTC

Huh... Today I learned that the general strike of 1968 was in fact 10 year after the inauguration of the Fifth Republic. I thought they were linked. :oops:
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:21 am UTC

TIL that even though your brain is only about 3% of your body mass, it uses 20%-30% of your calories.

Therefore, going on a starvation diet literally makes you less intelligent.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:06 am UTC

Cathy wrote:TIL that even though your brain is only about 3% of your body mass, it uses 20%-30% of your calories.

You are working on the assumption that brain energy consumption is correlated to intelligence.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Cathy wrote:TIL that even though your brain is only about 3% of your body mass, it uses 20%-30% of your calories.

You are working on the assumption that brain energy consumption is correlated to intelligence.

It makes you "less intelligent" based on physiological requirements of the brain, regardless of intelligence. Not meeting the physiological requirements of your brain means it doesn't perform at the levels it can when it is properly nourished. Also: brain energy consumption is correlated to proper brain function.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:45 pm UTC

Shro wrote:It makes you "less intelligent" based on physiological requirements of the brain, regardless of intelligence. Not meeting the physiological requirements of your brain means it doesn't perform at the levels it can when it is properly nourished. Also: brain energy consumption is correlated to proper brain function.

You: Less energy makes you stupid.
Me: Why?
You: Because less energy makes you stupid.

1) Do you have a citation on less energy reducing cognitive ability?

2) Do you have a citation on feeding less leading to reduced brain activity?

Return to “General”