Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HedgehogsAreFunneh

Re: Today You Learned

Postby HedgehogsAreFunneh » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

Yep.

Edit: HUZZAH! NEW PAGE!

Um, I learnt (along with the above), that changing out of the PJs you wore to bed into new PJs, upon waking up, does not make the fact that you spent your entire day in pajamas less pathetic. Or less comfy.
I was thinking of either meditating or napping, but the way I do it, there's not much difference except in the explanation to the rest of my family.

"If anyone finds the plot of this book, tell it I love it very much and want it to come home."

kriel

Postby kriel » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

It's fun to confuse the hell out of coworkers.

Coworker wrote:Dude... Your proxy is 127.0.0.1? W. T. F?

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:26 am UTC

Today I learned that I suck more at climbing than I do at running. Which is a feat.

...and people never believe me when I tell them that I'm out of shape...
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Sartorius wrote:Today I learned that I suck more at climbing than I do at running. Which is a feat.

Now... people in my school thought I was unfit.

And to an extent, they were right. I'm skinny, and I have asthma. But I was also one of the fastest runners in school, and one of the best endurance/cross country runners.

And I'm a very good indoor climber too. I tackle the medium/expert level sections on most walls without much trouble.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:54 am UTC

Today I learned that sleeping in a room without curtains is NOT CLEVER in summer.

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:07 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
Sartorius wrote:Today I learned that I suck more at climbing than I do at running. Which is a feat.

And to an extent, they were right. I'm skinny, and I have asthma. But I was also one of the fastest runners in school, and one of the best endurance/cross country runners.

And I'm a very good indoor climber too. I tackle the medium/expert level sections on most walls without much trouble.

I'd like to switch places. Except for the asthma part. You can keep that. :wink:
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:14 am UTC

Sartorius wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:

I'd like to switch places. Except for the asthma part. You can keep that. :wink:

Hah, my asthma was mostly a childhood thing. It only really bothers me when I get hayfever (or something like it) or a cold. Anything that makes it hard to breathe, and then my asthma makes it a little worse. But I never get attacks or anything. Occasionally I'll be a little short of breath, but I've learned to adapt. I'm beginning to work out/exercise lately. Apparently it will give me more lung power, and make me feel much stronger in myself.

Or something. To be honest, I just want to be stronger, and actually have a body shape. I'm underweight (I swear to god I have a hyperactive thyroid gland), and I'd like more body mass kthnx.

:D

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:57 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
Sartorius wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:

Hah, my asthma was mostly a childhood thing. It only really bothers me when I get hayfever (or something like it) or a cold. Anything that makes it hard to breathe, and then my asthma makes it a little worse. But I never get attacks or anything. Occasionally I'll be a little short of breath, but I've learned to adapt. I'm beginning to work out/exercise lately. Apparently it will give me more lung power, and make me feel much stronger in myself.

Or something. To be honest, I just want to be stronger, and actually have a body shape. I'm underweight (I swear to god I have a hyperactive thyroid gland), and I'd like more body mass kthnx.

I'll give you some of my extra body mass. Seriously, I've got like 40 lbs. I'd like to drop.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:09 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:
Sartorius wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:

I'll give you some of my extra body mass. Seriously, I've got like 40 lbs. I'd like to drop.

Oh sweet!

Umm...

So how do we do this over the internet?

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:23 am UTC

Your baby is less likely to get congenital defects if you ovulate in the middle of your cycle.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:55 am UTC

I learned that the weekend goes really slowly when you've got no-one to hang out with. [/melancholy]
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:12 am UTC

I was going to say I learned something today, but apparently I failed to learn what I set out to learn.

Oh, I guess I learned where a friend lived, but that's not really what I was going for.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Ansible

Postby Ansible » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

I learned how to drive on the highway. Compared with my average speed throughout the day, that's like breaking the sound barrier.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:25 pm UTC

I learned what my face looks like after the hair blocking it is gone :wink: .

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:46 am UTC

I learned that when making stir fry, never mix meat with seafood.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:56 am UTC

hideki101 wrote:I learned that when making stir fry, never mix meat with seafood.

You must be kidding. Beef and shrimp stir fry FTW.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:10 am UTC

I learned regular expressions is less cpu intensive than I thought (I've not used it on this scale before). I was testing out some code to go fetch me some proxy ip/port numbers (Not just IP:Port, but also IP [Html and Junk] port), came back alot and pretty quickly with minimal cpu usage.

Kesho

Postby Kesho » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:15 am UTC

I learned how to bake foccacia which means I'm probably going to spend most of next month screwing about with different variations of the recipe I used.
I also learned that George Carlin died. :(

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:29 am UTC

I learned that caffiene is a diuretic.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:10 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:I learned what my face looks like after the hair blocking it is gone :wink: .

NOOOOooooo!

Today I've not yet learned anything as I've only just woken up.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:I learned what my face looks like after the hair blocking it is gone :wink: .

NOOOOooooo!

Today I've not yet learned anything as I've only just woken up.

Hey! So have I!

Yes. That GMT timestamp is RIGHT. :D

Kikral

Postby Kikral » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:09 am UTC

Today I learned that despite whatever disparaging remarks my friend has to make about my little Squier, it still owns him and his explorer.
On a related note, I learned that even if you spend 1200 dollars on a guitar, if you can't play anything, anyone can sound better than you.

Story Spoiler'd for length
Spoiler:
For clarification, I started playing guitar maybe about 4 months ago. Until maybe a month ago, I was playing on a Yamaha SJ-180, which was older than I was. I bought myself a second-hand Fender Squire and an unidentifiable Epiphone amp for maybe about 200 dollars. My friend Paul, started five months ago, and around the same time bought a 1200 dollar Gibson Explorer and a line 6 Spider III amp. He has been constantly rubbing his guitar in my face, saying things like "You don't have the discipline or the skill to be a serious guitarist" or "This is why you get a Job Al, so you can have nice things and play really good", and basically trying to stomp on my idealistic dreams. Y'know, usual teenage rivalry stuff.

So today, he, my friend Andrew, and I all meet up at my house, and he finally gets riled up enough to bring over both his guitar and amp. So he is sitting there gloating to my face finally about his beauty, and I ask to play it, and he says this gem;
"Sorry Al, but you aren't good enough to even hold my guitar, let alone play a song on it".

We spend most of the day sitting in the garage, playing a medley of tunes, some we made up, some we learned, and all the time, Paul spends most of it playing the Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle intro...in standard tuning...very, very slowly. He wants to play Death Metal, and favors Dethklok over all. Don't get me wrong, I think Dethklok is okay, but he is completely obsessed with sounding like them. Imagine why he chose to get the Explorer in the first place.

Fast forward a few hours and a few lessons on tapping and amp balance between the three, and Andrew and Paul are taking a break playing in G-mod or watching Youtube. Meanwhile, I am out in the garage trying to work on my playing (and being a bad host D:). Andrew convinces Paul to bring his amp out and let me play with it. After fiddling with the settings, and playing a few songs, I set it to the 'Insane' preset. (Here is a note. Whenever Paul was playing with the Insane preset on his Explorer, it sounded GOD AWFUL. I mean, imagine Killswitch Engage with a bad case of 'fucked up tuning'). I flip the switch on my Squire, and try a tapping sequence, which has never sounded good through my amp. It sounded clear as a bell, and sounded beautiful. (Another note. No one was in the garage with me, but my computer was right beside the door, and it was slightly ajar. So I had SOME witness).

Then tried playing a few basic songs on it, and it still plays brilliantly. At this point I was wondering if I had tuned myself into this alternate reality or if I was just going crazy from the summer heat. On my Epi Amp everything I would have played sounded horrible. I was also able to hear my touch harmonics for the first time, which I promptly tried to integrate into my normal style. Blues and Rock don't normally go with touch squeals, but at that point, I was ripping it up, sweaty, and pretty much in a playing frenzy. After a while, I came back inside, and everyone was dead pale. They had never heard me play like that before, especially on my 'Piece of crap squier'. Andrew was bloody impressed, and Paul was just brooding, with a sheepish look on his face. Throughout the whole night, we kept trying to get him to try and outplay me, but he just kept saying that he was tired, or that his feet OF ALL THINGS, hurt.

I know it was just the amp, and I know I could probably never do that stuff again or when someone else is really around, but for that brief moment, I felt like a goddamn rock star. And THAT is why my Squire is named "Blessed Music' in Quenya.
P.S. An internet to whoever guesses the two songs I played first. Hint: Black Sabbath
I am the man your gods will have nightmares about for the next 50 years.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:01 am UTC

Iron Man and Paranoid?

Anyway... a good amp is a good thing, but the Insane setting on Line Six's is AWFUL.

Unless it's a Spider III Valve... I'm not touching it...

Hmm... I'll admit that a good guitar != a good guitarist, but my friend and me clubbed together to buy another friend of ours a new guitar. Cost us about £130. His old one sucked £20 ass. He was really pleased (still plays it), and his playing improved to NO END after he got that guitar.

Just sayin'.

And don't diss old Yamahas! A Yamaha SG-2000 from the 70s'-80's would kick some serious ass!

The modern SG-2000s do as well!

Kikral

Postby Kikral » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:06 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Iron Man and Paranoid?

Anyway... a good amp is a good thing, but the Insane setting on Line Six's is AWFUL.

Unless it's a Spider III Valve... I'm not touching it...

Hmm... I'll admit that a good guitar != a good guitarist, but my friend and me clubbed together to buy another friend of ours a new guitar. Cost us about £130. His old one sucked £20 ass. He was really pleased (still plays it), and his playing improved to NO END after he got that guitar.

Just sayin'.

And don't diss old Yamahas! A Yamaha SG-2000 from the 70s'-80's would kick some serious ass!

The modern SG-2000s do as well!

An internet for you good sir. And I'm not dissing my SJ. I love my SJ.
My dad played it , and my moms teethmarks are on the body. That thing has a long a colorful history, and I shall love it as long as I am alive. And I know that a good guitar doesn't make a good guitarist. Paul on the other hand, doesn't seem to understand that. He is convinced that an Explorer will make him auto-Dethklok. Meanwhile, I'm learning from the deceased greats of rock, and am just starting out on sweep picking. He is still plucking a string at a time, and somehow claims that "Lessons" will make him superior in the end. He is just a complete douche about the fact that he can buy a good guitar while i'm still playing beginners. I'll read sheet music when I damn well please, I just want a solid grip on playing the way I feel like playing right now.
And if he is reading this, I DO NOT HAVE A FUCKING JEWFRO! It's tightly curled hair...bitch...
EDIT: Sorry, I guess I just needed to vent...
EDIT++: The Spider IIIs aren't too bad. More of a coinflip. He just got heads. Otherwise I'd know it would sound horrible.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:24 am UTC

Kikral wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:Some old English Bollocks. Tally-ho and whatnot.

An internet for you good sir. And I'm not dissing my SJ. I love my SJ.
My dad played it , and my moms teethmarks are on the body. That thing has a long a colorful history, and I shall love it as long as I am alive. And I know that a good guitar doesn't make a good guitarist. Paul on the other hand, doesn't seem to understand that. He is convinced that an Explorer will make him auto-Dethklok. Meanwhile, I'm learning from the deceased greats of rock, and am just starting out on sweep picking. He is still plucking a string at a time, and somehow claims that "Lessons" will make him superior in the end. He is just a complete douche about the fact that he can buy a good guitar while i'm still playing beginners. I'll read sheet music when I damn well please, I just want a solid grip on playing the way I feel like playing right now.
And if he is reading this, I DO NOT HAVE A FUCKING JEWFRO! It's tightly curled hair...bitch...
EDIT: Sorry, I guess I just needed to vent...
EDIT++: The Spider IIIs aren't too bad. More of a coinflip. He just got heads. Otherwise I'd know it would sound horrible.

Heh. I didn't learn how to read sheet music until I had been playing for nearly 2 years. I'm still learning. And sight reading is a long way off.

And to be honest... if ya wanna be more Dethklok... you need a Jackson Kelly/RR1. Those things are BEASTS for sweeping and speed playing.

Lessons are good, but the only problem, personally, that I see is that if you learn how to play like your teacher... you'll never be better than him. My friend (the one I helped buy a guitar for) takes/took lessons, and got really good. Better than me for a while (I didn't play so much then). But he played a lot like his teacher, and it wasn't as natural sounding.

Just a thought that ya might like to share.

As for me, I am learning tips and tricks for my fave 'tarists. Dimebag Darrel, Zakk Wylde, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Alexi Laiho, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, and all those good 'uns.

My advice for you, amp-wise, would be to head towards a Marshall. But since you are starting small, you want something that sounds good, turned up low... if you have the budget, look into getting a Roland Cube. We use them in college all the time. We use Cube-30s. Very nice lil amps. Make sure you get one with a "Metal" setting, and maybe a "R*fier" or "Rectifier" setting. And Bass, Middle, and Treble controls. They sound awesome.

Kikral

Postby Kikral » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:28 am UTC

Thanks. I'll take the advice. And your musician sheet reads almost word for word like mine. But replace Zakk Wylde with Randy Rhodes.
And like I said, he is ridiculously set on his Ex. It's almost scary. But then I remember I schooled him, and it cheers me up.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:31 am UTC

Kikral wrote:Thanks. I'll take the advice. And your musician sheet reads almost word for word like mine. But replace Zakk Wylde with Randy Rhodes.
And like I said, he is ridiculously set on his Ex. It's almost scary. But then I remember I schooled him, and it cheers me up.

Randy Rhoads. Another god.

I just prefer ZW. He's the reason I use a Les Paul with EMGs. Brutal pentatonic boxes with diminished runs shoved in for good measure, AND copious use of pinch harmonics, coupled with a love of so much chorus, he sounds slightly out of tune?!

Can't beat it. :D

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:41 am UTC

I learned how to sync my bookmarks between computers.
多么现在棕色母牛?

TomatoBlue

Postby TomatoBlue » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:08 am UTC

I learned that it's best to know just how long you're going to be hiking before you start up a mountain at a run.
I learned that you'll find the most beautiful places in the world the day you leave your camera at home. It sounds kinda poetic, but it's really just infuriating.
I learned my way to the nearest coffeeshop and back. I also learned that none of the female baristas who work there know how to make a decent cup of coffee.

Alomax

Postby Alomax » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:50 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:I learned how to sync my bookmarks between computers.

Foxmarks is a godsend.

This week I learned that getting hired for a GOOD job is not a quick process. (and gas is expensive)
bookishbunny wrote:You do not appreciate the powers of bleach until you have carried a dead conch from the Florida Keys to South Carolina in the middle of August.

http://www.omnicrola.com
http://www.ilanca.org

kriel

Postby kriel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

... muscle memory is suddenly a very bad thing when you start switching up your keyboard layout.

-passwordpassword- "Wrong password. :D" -passwordpassword- "Wrong password. :D" ... huh? Oh, crap. -types old pass on new keyboard layout. "Thank you. :D"

Sparv

Postby Sparv » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

kriel wrote:... muscle memory is suddenly a very bad thing when you start switching up your keyboard layout.

-passwordpassword- "Wrong password. :D" -passwordpassword- "Wrong password. :D" ... huh? Oh, crap. -types old pass on new keyboard layout. "Thank you. :D"

I use TWO keyboards with different layouts on the same computer:
a French AZERTY one (to write éèçàùêâ) for all my regular use.
an English QWERTY for coding ( .#{[|\]}% are easier to do: you need alt gr to print them with the french layout)

Sometimes switching give me troubles...
Shit happens

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

I learned that it's surprisingly easy to do my job, despite being half-dead from sleep-deprivation.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

I learned how to use a dreidl.

And on a much more practical scale, I learned that trying to manipulate my natural sleeping schedule doesn't work. My father is off from work for the next week, so I can't stay up until I feel sleepy. I figure to make up for this time, I should go to bed at a ridiculously early time (10:30) so I can wake hours before everyone else. Turns out this doesn't work. Let's see if I survive this next week.

muffin of doom

Postby muffin of doom » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:05 am UTC

Today I learned that even if you let students write the essay section of their final exam in advance, some of them will still do a really bad job and/or not even bother answering one of the two questions. :?

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:23 am UTC

muffin of doom wrote:Today I learned that even if you let students write the essay section of their final exam in advance, some of them will still do a really bad job and/or not even bother answering one of the two questions. :?

hahaha, ah, being a student. The crushing crushing apathy.

Today I learned that I can only list 40 of the 118 elements of the periodic table, but I can list every single one of the presidents, in order.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:39 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Today I learned that I can only list 40 of the 118 elements of the periodic table, but I can list every single one of the presidents, in order.

I read that as '140 of the 118 elements' and wished it was true.

Today I have learned that doing nothing is so much more enjoyable than working that I'm seriously considering quitting my job.

TomatoBlue

Postby TomatoBlue » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:57 am UTC

I learned that the trunk is the most comfortable place in the car. <3

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:54 am UTC

Alomax wrote:This week I learned that getting hired for a GOOD job is not a quick process.

A-FUCKING-MEN!!! I've been vying for a legal position in NYC for months now. Dammit.

sleepygamer wrote:Lessons are good, but the only problem, personally, that I see is that if you learn how to play like your teacher... you'll never be better than him.

Steve Vai pretty well surpassed Joe Satriani, though, didn't he? :D

Um. . . today I learned that some comedians aren't as funny outside of the club as they are on stage.

Oh, and:

Lanth wrote:And sneaking up on someone while they're cutting up meat with an automatic slicer is not a smart idea

I know it's old, but I want the story behind this.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

Today I learned: Excessive use of the morning after pill can cause ectopic pregnancy.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

Return to “General”