Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Chum

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Chum » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:02 pm UTC

I've found that concerts and shows in general are fun, just for the sake of the experience and live music, but when you deliberately go to a show....
So much better.
Of course, this very well may be an obvious statement to everyone else that isn't me.
:P

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

Today I learned: Cutting glass is far more difficult than it looks. The woman in the tutorial on youtube just went "crunch..snap". My experience went more along the lines of "cru..unchch...smash!... why is there so much blood on my desk!?"

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:Today I learned: Cutting glass is far more difficult than it looks. The woman in the tutorial on youtube just went "crunch..snap". My experience went more along the lines of "cru..unchch...smash!... why is there so much blood on my desk!?"

Out of curiosity, why are you watching youtube tutorials on cutting glass, what are you cutting said glass for? Also ouch, that sounds painful.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

Chum wrote:YIL that when I go to a concert of a band I'm actually a fan of, whose music I know by heart, rather than going to a show where I don't know ANY of the music....I actually have a fantastic time.
Who'da thunk it?

I've been dismayed at hearing some of my favorite bands only play their top hits at shows, and being unable to hear them for all the screaming fans singing along. "Yes, I know this song, I hear it every fucking day on the radio, but I actually enjoy your other music, can we hear some of your good stuff?"
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:Today I learned: Cutting glass is far more difficult than it looks. The woman in the tutorial on youtube just went "crunch..snap". My experience went more along the lines of "cru..unchch...smash!... why is there so much blood on my desk!?"
I learned that a couple weeks ago. Remember those tables you'd see at bowling alleys and pizza parlors that had video games built into them? I'm making one out of an old TV, a crate, and an Atari 2600. I was trying to cut a large piece of glass into a medium piece for the table top. I ended up with two small pieces, then got frustrated and made a couple hundred tiny pieces.

I think my problem was trying to follow a youtube video with someone cutting a small piece, so I couldn't see where they were applying pressure. I thought they were applying it at the edge for leverage, but may have been applying it at the score. A local hardware store said they'd charge around $7 to cut a piece of glass for me, but that it wouldn't be strong enough for a table top. A glass store would have charged $25 to use plate glass, but that would be pretty thick. I think I'm just going to go to more yard sales and see if I can find a coffee table or something with a thin, tempered glass top. Since the glass is just going to rest on top, I don't have to be too picky about size.

YIL: Dipping a 3 Musketeers bar in vanilla yogurt tastes pretty darn good.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:13 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Chum wrote:YIL that when I go to a concert of a band I'm actually a fan of, whose music I know by heart, rather than going to a show where I don't know ANY of the music....I actually have a fantastic time.
Who'da thunk it?

I've been dismayed at hearing some of my favorite bands only play their top hits at shows, and being unable to hear them for all the screaming fans singing along. "Yes, I know this song, I hear it every fucking day on the radio, but I actually enjoy your other music, can we hear some of your good stuff?"

I saw John Mayer 2 or 3 years ago, and the setlist went like this:

1. Huge pop hit
2. Interesting blues
3. Huge pop hit
4. Interesting blues
etc.

Every other song you could feel half the audience zone out because they hadn't heard anything other than the 'huge pop hits'.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:20 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I've been dismayed at hearing some of my favorite bands only play their top hits at shows, and being unable to hear them for all the screaming fans singing along. "Yes, I know this song, I hear it every fucking day on the radio, but I actually enjoy your other music, can we hear some of your good stuff?"
Man, I'm.. divided on that issue.

On the one hand, I came to hear the band, not the crowd.

On the other hand, there's nothing quite like several hundred or thousand people singing in unison to a band they all came to see.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'd be cool with a band who basically had a "Sing along if you want" sign, and a "Shut the hell up, people paid money to hear US, not YOU" sign that they'd flip between during the set.

And, you know, a crowd that would respect it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:16 am UTC

See, this has never been a problem for me cause I've never been to a concert where the band didn't handily outvolume the crowd, except at moments when Mr. Lead Singer points his mic to the audience and stops singing himself.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

Well you've clearly never been to a Beatles gig.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

Hope_ wrote:

Out of curiosity, why are you watching youtube tutorials on cutting glass, what are you cutting said glass for? Also ouch, that sounds painful.

I'm making an etching tank for PCBs. It needs clear sides so you can see when they're cooked and I thought, naively, that I could save some time by making them out of picture frame glass. I've since given up and bought some perspex sheets on ebay.

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:33 am UTC

If possible, use a ready-made pyrex casserole dish. You don't want etchant to eat through stuff (like seams) and get all over the place.

emceng

Postby emceng » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

TIL: Sabrina the teenage witch was based on Archie Comics. WTF is going on in Riverdale?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

emceng wrote:TIL: Sabrina the teenage witch was based on Archie Comics. WTF is going on in Riverdale?

In-story or in real life?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
emceng wrote:TIL: Sabrina the teenage witch was based on Archie Comics. WTF is going on in Riverdale?

In-story or in real life?

She wasn't just based on Archie Comics; she was a recurring character in them.

Wikipedia wrote:Sabrina the Teenage Witch debuted in Archie's Madhouse (the logo sometimes given as Archie's Mad House) #22 (Oct. 1962). Created by writer George Gladir and artist Dan DeCarlo. She first appeared in that humor anthology's lead story (the logo then spelled "Teen-Age"), and eventually became one of Archie Comics' major characters, appearing in an animated series and a television sitcom. Gladir recalled in 2007,

"I think we both envisioned it as a one-shot and were surprised when fans asked for more. We continued to do Sabrina stories off and on in Mad House until 1969 when we were flabbergasted to hear it was to become an animated [TV series]. When it came to naming Sabrina I decided to name her after a woman I recalled from my junior high school days ... who was very active in school affairs, and who assigned a number of us to interview prominent people in the media. In addition, the woman's name had a New England ring to it. Some years later I recalled the woman's name was not Sabrina, but actually Sabra Holbrook."

Sabrina made regular appearances in the comic book Archie's TV Laugh-Out. The title was published from 1969 to 1985, and consisted of 106 issues.
Issue 76 of Sabrina The Teenage Witch from 1982

The comic book Sabrina The Teenage Witch was published from 1971 to 1983, and ran for 77 issues. However, Archie Comics released a series of brand new Sabrina comics when the live action TV series began in 1996. Sabrina comics were published sporadically until 2004, when Sabrina received a manga makeover (see below).
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:58 pm UTC

TIL that GOB's wife on Arrested Development is Will Arnett's real life wife.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

They were also the questionably romantic brother and sister in that ice skating movie, Blades of Glory.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:01 am UTC

TIL that 1/3 of doing well on a test is going in there feeling great. :)
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

mathgeek17

Postby mathgeek17 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:09 pm UTC

TIL that facebook isn't very fun when 83% of your town lost power in a snow storm and you didn't.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:53 pm UTC

TIL that Neil Patrick Harris is married to the dude who plays Scooter in HIMYM. I knew he is gay, married and their kids are adorable, but I didn't know that's who the husband is.

Aiea

Postby Aiea » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:46 am UTC

TIL what TL:DR means... yeah, I'm slow.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:32 am UTC

Yesterday I Learned that McDonald's ceased producing these coffee-stirrers of yore, as people were using them for cocaine spoons. (source: Snopes) I used to love these spoons. They were ideal for perfecting crenellations and sculpting flying buttresses on sandcastles.

The Day Before I Learned that some people thought my guitar-pluckin' thumbnail, being significantly longer than my other thumbnail and fingernails combined, was used for scooping, and subsequently snorting, cocaine. Call me drug-naive, but every media representation of cocaine use I have seen has been the classic snort-a-line-with-a-rolled-up-20. The only time I've seen cocaine taken in a non-linear format is when Sarah Michelle Gellar snorts it from her crucifix necklace in Cruel Intentions.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:06 am UTC

TIL Felstaff steals bandwidth.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:08 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Image

Have you no shame?

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

TIL that there exists such a thing as Klingon Google.

I am so slow. Why did I not know this before? :(
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:19 pm UTC

Try going to google and typing "do a barrel roll."
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

Strange you should mention that today! A friend made me do that only yesterday. He also made me type "Find Bruce Schneier" on Google and then hit "I'm Feeling Lucky."
EDIT: Damn word filters. I meant C.huck N.orris :P
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:26 pm UTC

I just found that out today too, via another forum. Is it a new thing maybe?

Also, google "tilt".
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:03 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Try going to google and typing "do a barrel roll."

That is so cool!!!
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:20 am UTC

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aileron_roll

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_roll

SEE THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:24 am UTC

TIL: Barrel rolls are not barrel rolls.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:36 am UTC

felltir wrote:SEE THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE

Not really... that second Wikipedia article is pretty impenetrable for someone who doesn't know the jargon, and the video at the top is supremely unhelpful... and all the images in the article appear to be for variants of the roll, not the basic barrel roll itself...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:42 am UTC

I'm guessing they used barrel instead of aileron because "do a barrel roll" is a line from Calvin and Hobbes while "do an aileron roll" isn't. In one strip, Calvin spelled out "HEY JET PILOTS, DO A BARREL ROLL" in dirt by digging up his parents' lawn.

What's the Chuck Norris one supposed to do? All I get is the man's website.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:49 am UTC

phlip wrote:
felltir wrote:SEE THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE

Not really... that second Wikipedia article is pretty impenetrable for someone who doesn't know the jargon, and the video at the top is supremely unhelpful... and all the images in the article appear to be for variants of the roll, not the basic barrel roll itself...

I think the aileron roll is actually a special case of the barrel roll. A barrel roll is, apparently, where you travel helically. That is, when you rotate in a circle in two dimensions while also going forward in the third. An aileron roll is when the diameter of that circle is your wing span.

I know that's probably not helpful, but that's what I thought of anyway.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:51 am UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:"do a barrel roll" is a line from Calvin and Hobbes
It's more likely a reference to the line from Star Fox... that's where the Internet meme comes from, after all.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:16 am UTC

Too drunk to understand words: what I'm getting is that an aileron roll is going forwards and spinning, while a barrel roll is... a backflip whilst spinning? Maybe? A video from the wing of the aircraft doing the manoeuvre (sp check someone) is absolutely no help, it just shows the same thing the whole way through.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:16 am UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:I'm guessing they used barrel instead of aileron because "do a barrel roll" is a line from Calvin and Hobbes while "do an aileron roll" isn't. In one strip, Calvin spelled out "HEY JET PILOTS, DO A BARREL ROLL" in dirt by digging up his parents' lawn.

What's the Chuck Norris one supposed to do? All I get is the man's website.
Type "find Bruce Schneier", not just "Bruce Schneier".
Spoiler:
Direct link to result. (It doesn't really work as well since Google redesigned their site.)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

Mousou

Postby Mousou » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:23 am UTC

Half a minute on google gave me this handy image of what is and what's not a barrel roll:
Spoiler:

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:10 am UTC

Amie wrote:TIL that there exists such a thing as Klingon Google.

Sadly, while the original translation was done by proper klingonists, Google has recently added a bunch of nonsense :(
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

Jared the Great

Postby Jared the Great » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:19 am UTC

Today I learned that
Spoiler:

On a more serious note, today I learned that it's depressing to think about existence or lack thereof more than you normally should.
Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium
Spoiler:
Batman!

emceng

Postby emceng » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

tesseraktik wrote:
Amie wrote:TIL that there exists such a thing as Klingon Google.

Sadly, while the original translation was done by proper klingonists, Google has recently added a bunch of nonsense :(

And this makes me laugh.

Also, TIL, in about the worst possible way, that Gatorade can get moldy.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Return to “General”