Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Flightless_bird
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:45 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Flightless_bird » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:15 pm UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:
ACU-LP wrote:Today I learned that Zombies actually exist. Sure....only in snails so far....


I just read about it...it's horrible...and they don't exist only on snails, they exist in many other animals, like rats, some fish, ants and other insects...Just reading about it creeped me out, those parasites control their minds!!! And in most cases to kill them! (snails are the lucky ones, they may survive the bird attack, but they are still infected)...

The most interesting (and horrible) one is the one of the rats. Their response to cat urine just shuts down, like all those years of natural selection never happened...and only so the parasite can get into the cat's gut. Also, this parasite seems to be linked to human schizophrenia , and aparently 50% of the world population has it...


That's really scary *slowly becoming paranoid*
Trying is the first step towards failure

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

Flightless_bird wrote:
-.Mateo.- wrote:
ACU-LP wrote:Today I learned that Zombies actually exist. Sure....only in snails so far....


I just read about it...it's horrible...and they don't exist only on snails, they exist in many other animals, like rats, some fish, ants and other insects...Just reading about it creeped me out, those parasites control their minds!!! And in most cases to kill them! (snails are the lucky ones, they may survive the bird attack, but they are still infected)...

The most interesting (and horrible) one is the one of the rats. Their response to cat urine just shuts down, like all those years of natural selection never happened...and only so the parasite can get into the cat's gut. Also, this parasite seems to be linked to human schizophrenia , and aparently 50% of the world population has it...


That's really scary *slowly becoming paranoid*


What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? What is a thought, compared to the mind? Our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive.

Spoiler:
The Many do it better, though.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Ivora
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:18 am UTC
Location: Wandering the Crystal Blue.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Ivora » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:29 pm UTC

Everybody poops. :oops:

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:36 am UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby H2SO4 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

Ivora wrote:Everybody poops. :oops:

I assume there's a story here somewhere? Possibly involving a supposed-to-be-locked door and you opening said door?
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

User avatar
Ivora
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:18 am UTC
Location: Wandering the Crystal Blue.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Ivora » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:13 am UTC

H2SO4 wrote:
Ivora wrote:Everybody poops. :oops:

I assume there's a story here somewhere? Possibly involving a supposed-to-be-locked door and you opening said door?


OH DEAR GOD! Yes! I can't believe you unlocked that locked portion of my mind! AGHHHHH! :evil:

POOP! EVERYWHERE! IN THE TUB! IN THE SINK! EVERYWHERE BUT THE TOILET!

But I meant the childrens book.... 'everybody poops' I read it.

Voco
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:29 pm UTC
Location: A land of blind idealism.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Voco » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:16 am UTC

I learned that 'Havoc' is when soldiers are dismissed from fighting order and allowed to loot and pillage. Tell your friends.

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:36 am UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:18 am UTC

Haha. I was assuming from the :blush: that you had walked in on someone.

TIL... that when I'm absent-mindedly not eating, it's a lot easier to go for a whole day than actively trying not to eat.

I'm not anorexic in case people were wondering. "Actively trying not to eat" is religious fasting every now and then, and "absent-mindedly not eating" is staring all day at a screen.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

User avatar
Briareos
Posts: 1940
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:40 pm UTC
Location: Town of the Big House

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Briareos » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

TIL my windbreaker will not double as a raincoat.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

TIL when life gives you lemons, break out the salt and tequila and party.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Ivora
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:18 am UTC
Location: Wandering the Crystal Blue.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Ivora » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:29 am UTC

Today I learned you can't talk over a fart.

User avatar
darkspork
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 am UTC
Location: Land of Trains and Suburbs

Re: Today I Learned

Postby darkspork » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:02 am UTC

Today I learned just how depressing a wake can be. It was my great-grandmother's. She was 101.
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:25 am UTC

Today I learned that even people who tend to agree with you are still morons who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

User avatar
scrovak
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:54 pm UTC
Location: Harford County, MD [USA]
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby scrovak » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:26 am UTC

'Dingy thingy' apparently refers to bell. Or at least for a colleague who can't remember the word bell.
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

User avatar
Briareos
Posts: 1940
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:40 pm UTC
Location: Town of the Big House

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Briareos » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:51 pm UTC

H2SO4 wrote:TIL... that when I'm absent-mindedly not eating, it's a lot easier to go for a whole day than actively trying not to eat.

I'm not anorexic in case people were wondering. "Actively trying not to eat" is religious fasting every now and then, and "absent-mindedly not eating" is staring all day at a screen.
It is way easier. That's how I keep my just-on-the-healthy-side-of-dead figure.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

User avatar
Vieto
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Vieto » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:57 pm UTC

Briareos wrote:
H2SO4 wrote:TIL... that when I'm absent-mindedly not eating, it's a lot easier to go for a whole day than actively trying not to eat.

I'm not anorexic in case people were wondering. "Actively trying not to eat" is religious fasting every now and then, and "absent-mindedly not eating" is staring all day at a screen.
It is way easier. That's how I keep my just-on-the-healthy-side-of-dead figure.

Aren't we all on the healthy side of death?

User avatar
Briareos
Posts: 1940
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:40 pm UTC
Location: Town of the Big House

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Briareos » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

Some are healthier than others, is all.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

User avatar
-.Mateo.-
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:01 am UTC
Location: Location Location

Re: Today I Learned

Postby -.Mateo.- » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:07 am UTC

TIL: That my sister doesn't believe in evolution...I...I don't know what to do...Until now, I thought those idiots only existed on the Internet...
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Wednesday » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:18 am UTC

I am post- Jurassic Park. This makes me extremely sad.

User avatar
frogman
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:57 am UTC
Location: Corvallis, OR

Re: Today I Learned

Postby frogman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:23 am UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:TIL: That my sister doesn't believe in evolution...I...I don't know what to do...Until now, I thought those idiots only existed on the Internet...


I actually have no problem with people who don't believe in evolution, unless they try to disprove evolution using "scientific" methods.
yeah yeah yeah

User avatar
the tree
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: Behind you

Re: Today I Learned

Postby the tree » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:39 am UTC

TIL: When the night shift is understaffed, they close off the self service checkouts. So people with unusual sleep patterns have to actually interact with people while shopping.

User avatar
-.Mateo.-
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:01 am UTC
Location: Location Location

Re: Today I Learned

Postby -.Mateo.- » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:50 am UTC

frogman wrote:I actually have no problem with people who don't believe in evolution, unless they try to disprove evolution using "scientific" methods.


when I try to talk about it, my sister closes her eyes, covers her ears and says "bla bla Im not listening bla bla"...Seriously, what the hell??
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

Voco
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:29 pm UTC
Location: A land of blind idealism.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Voco » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:10 am UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:
when I try to talk about it, my sister closes her eyes, covers her ears and says "bla bla Im not listening bla bla"...Seriously, what the hell??


How old is your sister?

User avatar
-.Mateo.-
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:01 am UTC
Location: Location Location

Re: Today I Learned

Postby -.Mateo.- » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:16 am UTC

15. I forgot to mention it
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Wednesday » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:34 am UTC

I'm going to chalk that one up to immaturity and brainwashing.

User avatar
-.Mateo.-
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:01 am UTC
Location: Location Location

Re: Today I Learned

Postby -.Mateo.- » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:47 am UTC

Wednesday wrote:I'm going to chalk that one up to immaturity and brainwashing.


yup...This year she started to attend to a catholic school, mainly becuase her classmates in the other school didn't party enough
But come on, at her age, I had become an atheist by myself and I was reading Stephen Hawking and stuff like that...

what should I do? Maybe an intervention...
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

User avatar
Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:00 am UTC
Location: Western Hemisphere. Possibly Idaho.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Vohu Manah » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:16 am UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:what should I do? Maybe an intervention...

Make her watch every single Kirk Cameron video ever. She will come to the light.

Also, Today I Learned that my book cover looks like a rubber duck with a clown nose on a bottle of liqueur.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

User avatar
Skythe
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:19 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Skythe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:20 am UTC

Mel Gibson can play Hamlet very, very, well.
Image

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8565
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Zohar » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:42 am UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:what should I do? Maybe an intervention...


Maybe leave her alone? People are allowed to make mistakes and think stupid stuff. Not everyone has to be intelligent or knowledgeable. Does it cause her harm? Is she hurting others because of it (besides you because it bothers you so much)? If not, then what's the problem? Especially if she's not interested in learning the truth, I doubt there's much you can do about it. Just live with it. It's not your responsibility to educate her anyway... Speaking of which, what do your parents think?
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Today I Learned

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:45 am UTC

You know, I think some guy might have a webcomic in which he wrote about something like this once. It might have been http://xkcd.com/154/... or not.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
Armadillo Al
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:17 pm UTC
Location: Illinois

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Armadillo Al » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

the tree wrote:TIL: When the night shift is understaffed, they close off the self service checkouts. So people with unusual sleep patterns have to actually interact with people while shopping.

I would think it would make more sense to open all the self-service checkouts if you don't have enough staff to run the regular checkouts, but I obviously have never worked in retail, so what do I know?
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

User avatar
-.Mateo.-
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:01 am UTC
Location: Location Location

Re: Today I Learned

Postby -.Mateo.- » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

today I learned THIS
It reminded me of THIS The revolution is coming...
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

User avatar
Ivora
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:18 am UTC
Location: Wandering the Crystal Blue.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Ivora » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

Today I learned tentacles are not gross... as I orignally had thought.

User avatar
Zer088
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:13 pm UTC
Location: south florida

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Zer088 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:29 am UTC

what a wasp sting to the tip of my middle finger feels like, i would not describe it as pleasant. (felt like it was inside my finger nail) :(
fortunately the serious pain passed in about two minutes and the throbbing stopped in about 10 min, for me. :|
YaKKa Foob MoG. GRuG PubbaWuP ZiNK wattooM GaZoRK. CHuMBLE spuzz.
Image
John Kaim: Love is the most powerful catalyst in existence.

User avatar
Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:00 am UTC
Location: Western Hemisphere. Possibly Idaho.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Vohu Manah » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:49 am UTC

Zer088 wrote:what a wasp sting to the tip of my middle finger feels like, i would not describe it as pleasant. (felt like it was inside my finger nail) :(
fortunately the serious pain passed in about two minutes and the throbbing stopped in about 10 min, for me. :|

It's better than one to the face. Especially when the only thing grandpa has is a sixteenth of a bottle of expired ibuprofen.
Also, TIL why unemployed Frenchman with combovers shouldn't make videos about rockets.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:07 am UTC

Zer088 wrote:what a wasp sting to the tip of my middle finger feels like, i would not describe it as pleasant. (felt like it was inside my finger nail) :(
fortunately the serious pain passed in about two minutes and the throbbing stopped in about 10 min, for me. :|

Well, if someone asks where the wasp stung you, you can flip them off!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
Zer088
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:13 pm UTC
Location: south florida

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Zer088 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:12 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Zer088 wrote:what a wasp sting to the tip of my middle finger feels like, i would not describe it as pleasant. (felt like it was inside my finger nail) :(
fortunately the serious pain passed in about two minutes and the throbbing stopped in about 10 min, for me. :|

Well, if someone asks where the wasp stung you, you can flip them off!

i didn't wait for them to ask :roll:
YaKKa Foob MoG. GRuG PubbaWuP ZiNK wattooM GaZoRK. CHuMBLE spuzz.
Image
John Kaim: Love is the most powerful catalyst in existence.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:30 am UTC

Zer088 wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:
Zer088 wrote:what a wasp sting to the tip of my middle finger feels like, i would not describe it as pleasant. (felt like it was inside my finger nail) :(
fortunately the serious pain passed in about two minutes and the throbbing stopped in about 10 min, for me. :|

Well, if someone asks where the wasp stung you, you can flip them off!

i didn't wait for them to ask :roll:

Oh... well... that works, too!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
Secateurs
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:30 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Secateurs » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:17 am UTC

TIL that Notostracans are crustaceans with three eyes, belonging to the genus triops - meaning three-eyes.
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

User avatar
Ivora
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:18 am UTC
Location: Wandering the Crystal Blue.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Ivora » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:23 am UTC

I don't like to share. :|

User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:37 am UTC

Vohu Manah wrote:Today I Learned that when given a cell phone, even the people who speak perfect, eloquent English will still talkes lk dis, Oh me yarm. Why texting, WHY!
I only do this when I can't otherwise fit my message into the stupidly small limit of 140 characters.
Secateurs wrote:TIL that Notostracans are crustaceans with three eyes, belonging to the genus triops - meaning three-eyes.
I wonder if they can see in 4 dimensions? Extrapolation... :P

Yesterday I learned that some of my gadgets like to spontaneously shut off when exposed to -40°C. Today I learned that "mv" in a Bash script will silently overwrite existing files, which is rather annoying. :| At least, they disappeared somehow...
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests