How bad would a mugging be...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Re: How bad would a mugging be...

Postby Yakk » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Careful: some areas take a person's right to self defense seriously.

In other areas, yes -- if you draw a knife, you will be expected to give the other party the chance to retreat or respond aggressively.

If you are physically smaller than the person attacking, you might get away with drawing a knife and attacking via surprise in some areas, as the large size of your attacker means that their threat is sufficient to justify serious force...

Generally, however, responding to robbery with robbery and destruction of property isn't legal. And continuing to beat a disabled attacker is not legal. The state takes its monopoly on the use of force within its borders quite seriously, and is quite willing to put your life in danger to maintain that monopoly.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

timt

Postby timt » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Yakk wrote:
Generally, however, responding to robbery with robbery and destruction of property isn't legal. And continuing to beat a disabled attacker is not legal. The state takes its monopoly on the use of force within its borders quite seriously, and is quite willing to put your life in danger to maintain that monopoly.

QQ son, go back to carebearland where payback isn't a bitch.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:09 am UTC

Willingness to take revenge, of course, a defining characteristic of a good person. :roll:
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:28 am UTC

Hey, who said I was a good person? I'LL KILL 'EM!
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:57 am UTC

Sometimes I'm happy I'm 6'2" and over 200 pounds. Not exactly a target of opportunity, even when staggering drunk. But if somebody really wants to mug me they better have a largish knife and their Nikes on, cause I'll be bouncing down the street quick like a bunny. No knife fights for this cowboy.

Also happy I live somewhere where white earphones are not an automatic invitation to get mugged.

But, if I got mugged I'd lose my five year old cell phone that was free with the contract, and some cash. Worst case $200 cash. I'd try and give them the cash and keep the wallet though, I've had this thing since high school, who knows what important irreplaceable documents I've got in it.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:11 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:Willingness to take revenge, of course, a defining characteristic of a good person. :roll:

Spoiler:
Mal: It would be humiliating, having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood. Mercy is the mark of a great man.
[He lightly stabs Atherton.]
Mal: Guess I'm just a good man.
[He repeats the poking.]
Mal: Well, I'm all right.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

EdB

Postby EdB » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:02 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I've noticed how the entire focus of this thread has been economical loss, rather than psychological impact. Getting mugged hits you way harder than simply having your iPod stolen and being fucked off that you have to spend £x or $y or €z to replace it. I highly doubt not losing such a transitory object as an MP3 player or a mobile communications device would have made me feel any better or less bitter towards my assailant, particularly as they appeared to do it out of desperation. Poor sod.

Interesting that I agree with the opening but not the closing sentiments? "Poor sod" my ass! Try: total freakin loser who has completely rejected any and all generally acceptable social contracts with his/her fellow humans. And deserves death for that rejection.

So yeah all the money stuff is replaceable. Data that isn't replaceable wasn't all that important in the first place obviously, else you'd have backed it up. What's not replaceable, and is extremely important, is the sense of self worth we all harbor within ourselves. Once as a wee lad of maybe 7, it seems my childhood friend upset someone driving in an uncool fashion on a dirt/gravel road near my elementary school. Apparently stepping out into the street and giving the finger to the back of the car while yelling "midasize it" is quite upsetting to some motorists, or at least was back then. The driver opted to lock 'em up and back up post haste. My friend opted to run and hide. I, foolishly I guess, opted to do nothing as I had no argument with this person. The driver got out and pointed a hand cannon of some sort at me. At the time I knew nothing of calibers and models, and to be honest in that situation might not have paid much attention anyway. The passenger got out and encouraged the driver to shoot me. For a kid visible in the rear view mirror flipping you off you wanna shoot another kid? WTF? I was completely immobilized with fear. I pissed myself. I almost shat myself. All I could think of to do was to say "it wasn't me" though I doubt these two fine gentlemen gave a flying fuck about anything their potential victim said. No physical objects were at risk in this situation. Hell I was a kid so I had nothing to lose, and besides this is back in the day when "transistor radio" was still considered hip and groovy okay? So technically this wasn't a 'mugging' situation. Fair enough, but it most certainly was an encounter with someone who seemingly did not value the usual and customary behavior model that civilized society tends to accept as 'normal'. So what did I lose then, other than control of my bladder and almost my bowels? My sense of self in the world around me. My understanding of "how it goes". My initial respect for and value of/in people I don't already know.

So what do I have at risk today, roughly 40 years later, in the event of a mugging? Freedom. I don't carry electronic toys ... or credit cards ... or even my damned drivers license. Sometimes I carry anywhere from $300 to $1000 or maybe a credit card if I'm shopping. I also make in excess of $80K per anum so wtf do I care about a few hundred here or there yah? I do however carry a pistol. If I am out and about in the real world and reasonably randomly subject to a crime committed by a "sorry sod" I carry a pistol and I will gladly cap the mother fucker who dares try to take that which is mine. I risk my freedom by doing this, but I would gladly take my chances with a jury of my peers than with the whims of a "sorry sod" who has obviously decided that there is no reason known to him/her to respect the integrity and space and property of his/her fellow man. The mother fucker is going to die: period. And yes I will tell the law I shot an asshole. And yes I will probably piss myself again. And yes I will pay a fortune in legal fees to avoid punishment for both killing the useless stupid piece of shit that tried to rob me and to carrying concealed without a permit. And yes I will probably do time.

And yes: I will recall the asshole with the hand cannon and his doosh bag buddy encouraging him to shoot me.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:10 am UTC

Interesting that I agree with the opening but not the closing sentiments? "Poor sod" my ass! Try: total freakin loser who has completely rejected any and all generally acceptable social contracts with his/her fellow humans. And deserves death for that rejection.

*clap clap clap* Way to go! Criminals are not human. You are absolutely right. There is no possible set of circumstances that could ever lead any reasonable human to become a criminal, so everyone that does so cannot be human and must be killed. All muggers are worthless with nothing to give, no possibility of reform and inevitably came to be that way entirely through their own fault.

I cannot believe people still think like this.

wst

Postby wst » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:

There is no possible set of circumstances that could ever lead any reasonable human to become a criminal....

Hehe, he kinda shot himself in the foot with that post.
'If someone tries to take a bit of money, which isn't a lot compared to my earnings, so I'll be able to cope, I'll shoot their head off!'
Logic much.
Yes, I was in a similar mood a few months back when someone tried siphoning some juice from our car, and scratched the paint (brand new car for us, only had it a week), so I said to my dad that if I caught them at it I'd baseball-bat them.
Last week turned out this baseball bat was only stregth rated for tennis balls (a softball snapped it in half). So it's a good job I didn't catch the sod. Wheee. A 40 year grudge is a bit much, btw. I'd only stab them a little nowadays.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:

*clap clap clap* Way to go! Criminals are not human. You are absolutely right. There is no possible set of circumstances that could ever lead any reasonable human to become a criminal, so everyone that does so cannot be human and must be killed. All muggers are worthless with nothing to give, no possibility of reform and inevitably came to be that way entirely through their own fault.

I cannot believe people still think like this.

Are we saying that killing in defense of property is wrong, as described in most states' laws, court precedent, and morality, or that any defense of property is wrong? Because i gotta say, if the option was giving up my wallet (full contents of which are probably almost worth $20) peacably and fighting then it will take an overwhelmingly superior force to talk me out of fighting.

There are those of us to whom this isn't simply a matter of loss of money. I, for one, have no interest in being a victim.

Sadly, i live in Illinois, and state law says i have to run away before i can defend myself.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:Are we saying that killing in defense of property is wrong, as described in most states' laws, court precedent, and morality, or that any defense of property is wrong? Because i gotta say, if the option was giving up my wallet (full contents of which are probably almost worth $20) peacably and fighting then it will take an overwhelmingly superior force to talk me out of fighting.

Mainly I'm saying that the idea that all criminals are non-human, morality-absent scum who deserve everything they get, is ridiculous and pathetic.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

Self defense isn't about punishing the wicked. I hear this a lot, especially in firearm control debates, the equation of self-defense to vigilanteism.

I mean bear in mind we're talking about mugging here. The threat of force is core to mugging. We're talking about someone who is ready to kill or injure someone to get their wallet*. From the OP it is implied that the mugging started with violence and the taking of money came later (makes sense, as it would often work as a way to get compliance from the victim). So, non-human morally-absent scum? Maybe not. But not someone i would feel bad about...heh..."beating to the punch".

*or at least someone who can fake willingness in the hopes you won't call his bluff.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:03 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:Self defense isn't about punishing the wicked. I hear this a lot, especially in firearm control debates, the equation of self-defense to vigilanteism.

You did read the post I replied to, right?

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:07 pm UTC

Most of it. I wrote him of as a schmuck pretty quickly. But i felt you were at the opposite extreme, and not really in the right either.

doc leech

Postby doc leech » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

They give up their right to safety the second they take mine. I don't care one iota for their situation or the circumstance that brought them to violence. They can cry about that to the prison shrink.
Float like a float-bot, sting like an automatic stinging machine

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:Most of it. I wrote him of as a schmuck pretty quickly. But i felt you were at the opposite extreme, and not really in the right either.

Self-defence is one thing. Immediately writing off a fellow human being as worthy of being killed is another, and wanting revenge is not something I think is a mark of a decent person. In my eyes that makes them just as bad as the person they've decided they should take revenge on. Wanting justice is again, a different thing.

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

Oh shoot, my knitting's in my bag.

My phone, I could probably live without. My laptop is fine, too.

But if someone stole the project I'd been working on for the past month or so I would be utterly devastated.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

Since I carry my laptop around basically everywhere in the city, I'd expect my backpack to get stolen if I were ever mugged. I'd really just chuck the thing (laptop and all) at my mugger's feat and run like hell. Obviously, not if he had a gun, but otherwise I'm pretty certain I'd be able to get to a main road or open store before he caught up with me.

Granted, it means I'm out a laptop (which i probably would have lost anyway). But I'd rather have it destroyed than have them make any sort of money off it (even if i could recover it).

And since people have said this before, trying to humanize people who are commiting this kind of theft. I personally think that anything done in self defense, short of killing or purposefully disfiguring them is good. Let them learn that if they're going to threaten other people, then other people have the right to fight back.

I do wish tasers were legal in more states though. Sure, 1 in 1000 they cause a heart attack, and the police abuse the hell out of tasers if they have the right to use them, but they're a good self defense tool.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:
Gunfingers wrote:Most of it. I wrote him of as a schmuck pretty quickly. But i felt you were at the opposite extreme, and not really in the right either.

Self-defence is one thing. Immediately writing off a fellow human being as worthy of being killed is another, and wanting revenge is not something I think is a mark of a decent person. In my eyes that makes them just as bad as the person they've decided they should take revenge on. Wanting justice is again, a different thing.

There is a fundamental difference.

Person A will threaten you with violence, even if you do not threaten them with violence first.

Person B will respond with violence when you threaten them with violence.

These are very different positions. And condemning category A can be done distinctly from condemning category B. Claiming that the two categories are the same is pushing it, in my mind.

Note that the state's demand that it owns a monopoly on the use of force is less a moral rule than it is a rule of power. It can also be argued to be a moral rule -- about the dangers of individuals deciding to escalate violence to a functioning society, or the like -- but the rule of power is that the state has a bunch of power, and is often willing to smash down on people who refuse to obey it's rules.

Staying "under the radar", if you are interested in short-to-medium term self-interest, can be a smart move. That involves not violating the state monopoly on violence unless you have to, not pissing off the government enforcers unless you must, and realizing that petty crime is an extremely short-term strategy that has rather severe medium/long term issues with it.

(This, of course, presumes a functioning society in which you can slip into. In many parts of the world, the state isn't effectively maintaining it's monopoly on force, you aren't welcome to join the society, and government enforcers don't leave you alone even if you don't stick out that badly.)

All of this is an amoral chain of reasoning from the threats that the world presents.

Moral reasons can and do exist to behave consistently with that. There are principles of non-violence, avoiding revenge, respecting the sanctity of human life, the collective individual responsibility to enforce positive social behavior and punish negative social behavior, the right to safety in the person and self defense, the rules of justice, the logic of payback, etc.

Many of these moral systems aren't consistent with each other, but they are a different kind of response than "if I smash someone's face in while they are on the ground, then take money from them and break their phone, the police might decide I went to far and make my life worse".

And yes, losing the sense of safety sucks. I was on a mass transportation device that was hijacked for the purposes of robbery. I'm pretty sure that nobody that was hijacked was armed, due to security in a previous phase of the transport system -- rather smart on the part of hijackers.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Sometimes I'm glad I look mexican and wear shady clothing. I should really shave my head and get some tattoos also.

The only time anyone has tried to mug or assault me, it was two native americans in a car who pulled over and said they wanted to fight because it was dark out and i was not. I was with two friends at the time, one of whom pulled out a knife. They also happened to attack us in front of my friends house party, two of us ran to the door and pulled the whole party outside. Needless to say, they didn't stick around much longer. We also happen to be friends with the head of the local gang, who later heard the two who had jumped us boasting about their actions in a local bar. He walked up to them and in a calm sophisticated voice let them know they would be killed if they were ever seen in that part of town again. We never have seen them again, and I live in a town of just a couple thousand people.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

anterovipunen

Postby anterovipunen » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

I wish someone would try to mug me..... i'm over 6 foot tall and a kickboxer, I think i'd smile.

squiffy

Postby squiffy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:16 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:Self-defence is one thing. Immediately writing off a fellow human being as worthy of being killed is another, and wanting revenge is not something I think is a mark of a decent person. In my eyes that makes them just as bad as the person they've decided they should take revenge on. Wanting justice is again, a different thing.

When confronted with someone willing to commit an act of violence, whom are we to pass judgement about revenge or being decent? Wanting revenge has nothing to do with being decent. If you have never been the victim of a violent crime you would not, nor could you, understand. The protection of oneself is the most basic of desires. Decency be damned. Survival is paramount.
As if there's a god who would understand

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:41 am UTC

cypherspace wrote: In my eyes that makes them just as bad as the person they've decided they should take revenge on. Wanting justice is again, a different thing.

As far as I can tell the only difference between revenge and justice is that justice requires a third party to get back at them for you.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:I am weird. I am either super calm and chilled, or fucked up crazy angry. I've got two gears. Mellow and GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY.

I'm exactly the same, we should start a club.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:I am weird. I am either super calm and chilled, or fucked up crazy angry. I've got two gears. Mellow and GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY.

A crazy people club? Isn't that called the Institution?
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

izzie89

Postby izzie89 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

In cash i never carry more than £20- mainly because i never really have more than that to spend. Other than that i carry around my passport (£60 i think), driving licence (£25) and phone (£120).
Wow. And i live in a horrible area.

wst

Postby wst » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

niko7865 wrote:We also happen to be friends with the head of the local gang, who later heard the two who had jumped us boasting about their actions in a local bar. He walked up to them and in a calm sophisticated voice let them know they would be killed if they were ever seen in that part of town again.

That's why I sometimes like organised crime. It keeps the standards up. A council estate gang was busted a few years ago over here, all hell's broken loose out there since. Before then, the sons in the family would give the OAP's in the estate flowers for their birthdays, etc. Sure, they were nasty fuckers underground, but meet them in the street and they'd be decent guys. Be friends with them and no-one messes with you, either. But on the other hand, you would find it weird shaking hands with a guy who just yesterday was mixing concrete for someone...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

I don't carry cash. Both my mp3-player and phone are things I've gotten from other people because they weren't working properly and are mostly hanging together because of duct-tape. The only thing I might carry with me that I'd be worried about losing is my laptop.

The two times someone has tried to mug me I haven't been carrying my laptop however, and I got a superpower that has so far made two would-be muggers want to hug me and the third look very embarrassed before he ran away. I find that muggers are usually just after money and when they realise that you don't have any they will mostly leave you alone. The only times I've met anyone that I actually have had to use violence to protect myself against, have been when meeting people who are after something far different than just money.

Ofc it could be that I'm just lucky when it comes to meeting muggers.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:08 am UTC

Awia wrote:

I'm not moody! I just get moods!
(My baseline is very, very stable- but every few weeks I will act strange/flip out for no apparent reason.)

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

vengence should be like this: when someone does something bad to you, and you have the oppurtunity to do it to a third person, you don't. if someone mugs you, it's ok to mug him. it's not ok to mug a third person to get money back.
It rains on the enemy too!

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

If I got mugged? Generally, the only things I carry with me are a pen, paper, a cellphone, and maybe ~$10. My bicycle and shoes would be the only things of value, and I doubt someone would care to take my $30 shoes. The only time I carry more than $10 is when I'm out to purchase something, and all the stores are along a major road. I doubt someone would attempt to mug me during the day right off a major highway where everyone can see him.

ronnie

Postby ronnie » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

I too am part of this club/institution, however, the fact that I have never been mugged is entirely due to me never admitting to having any cash on me, or slowing down, but generally remaining civil. I walk reasonably fast, and apparently nobody thinks its worth chasing me to call my bluff. My opinion is that if they don't invade your personal space, then they are probably only relying on an implied threat, rather than an actual intent to attack, this can even be the case if they are armed. I would only give up valuables if I genuinely thought I was at risk of being hospitalised.

Protip: If carrying a huge wad of notes, carry it anywhere but your wallet, only the most determined muggers would go to the lengths required to find it if you don't keep your money anywhere obvious.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

ronnie wrote:Protip: If carrying a huge wad of notes, carry it anywhere but your wallet, only the most determined muggers would go to the lengths required to find it if you don't keep your money anywhere obvious.

Next year, when I get new school uniform (basically a suit), I'll be making a 'secret pocket' in the sleeve, under the lining. Oh shit, told the world. But shh!

stigmatizethis

Postby stigmatizethis » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:31 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:My mp3 player is cheap (£15), but I generally carry a laptop (£750) with me as well. The loss of the laptop wouldn't be so bad as it's insured, but it has all my PhD work on it, which would absolutely fucking ruin me. And my mobile's broken. So that's about it.

http://www.getdropbox.com
GENERATION 1-i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

CorranH
A-dork-able

Postby CorranH » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:53 am UTC

darren wrote:God damn yuppies. Tell me, what is the point of having portable electronics in public at all? Seriously, do you ever wonder how we survived before your precious mugger magnet ipod's? What is your mother supposed to put on your tombstone when some gangbanger decides rob and kill you, "well at least he could write emails in public"? Are you that gullible/naive/street-stupid? Do you insist on learning all of life's lesson's the hard way?

"Were these guys around for every invention? 'Oh, there's Mister Umbrella! Oh, I can't get wet! Ow, the rain hurts me! I'm made of suede!' " [/gaffigan]

squiffy wrote:
cypherspace wrote:Self-defence is one thing. Immediately writing off a fellow human being as worthy of being killed is another, and wanting revenge is not something I think is a mark of a decent person. In my eyes that makes them just as bad as the person they've decided they should take revenge on. Wanting justice is again, a different thing.

When confronted with someone willing to commit an act of violence, whom are we to pass judgement about revenge or being decent? Wanting revenge has nothing to do with being decent. If you have never been the victim of a violent crime you would not, nor could you, understand. The protection of oneself is the most basic of desires. Decency be damned. Survival is paramount.

Hi. I had three large gentlemen confront me in a parking lot while I was in my car, hit me, get into my car, and hold a knife to my throat. Revenge is still wrong.

P.S. The defining characteristic of a human being is the ability to recognize that there are things more important than just survival.
It's a muon, you cunt - Robin Williams

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:13 am UTC

survival is one of our most basic urges. so is reproduction. rape is still wrong. on the other hand, mugging a mugger would have a resonable chance to get him to stop, or at least be more cautios and mug less people. so you'd probably reduce the total number of muggings if you got him while he was mugging you. that might make a good excuse.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:11 am UTC

squiffy wrote:When confronted with someone willing to commit an act of violence, whom are we to pass judgement about revenge or being decent? Wanting revenge has nothing to do with being decent. If you have never been the victim of a violent crime you would not, nor could you, understand. The protection of oneself is the most basic of desires. Decency be damned. Survival is paramount.

Revenge != survival. In fact if you want to maximise your chances of survival, you give them everything you have and don't try to fuck around. Also, thank you for making an unfounded assumption.

As far as I can tell the only difference between revenge and justice is that justice requires a third party to get back at them for you.
Yes, an unconnected, impartial third party, not swayed by adrenaline or your own personal judgment. Wanting revenge implies that you believe your own moral code and feelings to be the absolutely correct ones and all that is important. Wanting justice implies that you acknowledge them to be your own and not necessarily all that is important or correct.

This is probably not the thread to be discussing it, I think...

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:17 am UTC

no. the sole reson for justice is that you might, by commiting immoral acts against those who commited them earlier, scare others from commiting those same immoral acts. if it's hidden, or you know it can't be repeated, it's not justice.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:28 am UTC

pkuky wrote:no. the sole reson for justice is that you might, by commiting immoral acts against those who commited them earlier, scare others from commiting those same immoral acts.

That's the reason for justice existing. It's not the reason one might choose to desire it over revenge.

ronnie

Postby ronnie » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:48 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:In fact if you want to maximise your chances of survival, you give them everything you have and don't try to fuck around.
This is probably not the thread to be discussing it, I think...

What do you base this on? Surely if this were true then humans would not have consistently kept a fight or flight response to aggression. This response triggers a strong urge to either defend yourself or leave immediately, and as far as I know, it carries over to behaviour that would protect loved ones and valuable property.

Return to “General”