Metathread

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Metathread

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:31 am UTC

Let's talk about the fora! Specifically, topics, trends, users, annoyances, praise, and anything else you want to throw in here.

I'll begin (since I did create this). Ever notice how discussions can get revived only after an argument starts? Specifically, take the "O'Reilly supports gay rights" thread in N&A. For a while there were sporadic posts about how surprised we all are at his seemingly more liberal position- about half a page worth. Then, Blam! Someone brings up Colbet versus O'Reilly, and the thing quickly goes into several pages worth of debate. Guess we live on argument- "Someone is wrong on the internet!"

Oh, in my opinion "Cryopyre" is the coolest handle I have seen in a long time.

DISCLAIMER: I created this thread at 1:20 AM.
Technical problems don't go here, that's for the "Site/Forum Issues" subforum.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Re: Metathread

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:12 am UTC

What's with spoilers requiring Javascript? That's annoying. :( Personally, I hate phpBB.

Anyway, what makes this place awesome is the userbase, obviously. It's one of the only places I know that you can have intelligent discussions about (and get help with) just about anything, without being expected to be a rocket surgeon.

One thing though, it'd be really neat if we had ♂/♀ icons next to our names (that's the male/female signs if you can't see them), as there does tend to be a fair bit of ambiguity about one's gender sometimes, and we discuss love, sex, and relationships enough to have an entire forum for it. It's the kind of place I can see people hooking up through, so having some way to tell without digging through their posts could help with that.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:25 am UTC

We've been through this again, and again, and again. NO. There will be no gendermarks. NONE.

I like how it's going so far, myself.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:38 am UTC

I kinda like the title system. On some boards, you can set your own, and make yourself sound like an egotistical twat. But here, they are added, randomly, based on how you act around the fora!

It's pretty awesomely random.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:20 am UTC

I persoanlyl approve of the gender/age tags but alas the mods seem to be adamant that It shall not happen. i was thinking of starting a treand by putting it in my sig. VCQG's sig helps.

I hate how we can't mark threads as interesting and ONLY get the forum marker change to red if one of those is commented on.
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:41 am UTC

I don't think their should be gender or age tags. If a user wants you to know, they'd put it on their profile.

I think it's interesting how quickly you can grow to respect people on this forum.

I mean, in my first couple days here I immediately gathered a list of cool and respected members, and that list grows every day.

EDIT: And on that same subject, I think it'd be nice to note that Belial was one of the first people I noticed had a great deal of influence, awesomeness, and respect.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:43 am UTC

Ramses IV wrote:I don't think their should be gender or age tags. If a user wants you to know, they'd put it on their profile.

That would be the idea. but there is no slot for gender or age on the profile which is displayed. the only way to tell is asking and if you have to ask everyone it'd just take too long to do. This is why the tags would be good

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:56 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:
Ramses IV wrote:I don't think their should be gender or age tags. If a user wants you to know, they'd put it on their profile.

That would be the idea. but there is no slot for gender or age on the profile which is displayed. the only way to tell is asking and if you have to ask everyone it'd just take too long to do. This is why the tags would be good

Well, actually, there is a spot for age. But not gender. You could put that under interests or something. I could've sworn I've seen profiles that said "Male" or "Female".
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:09 am UTC

mebe it was a trial thing or someoen put it in their sig but nope, and the age isn't displayed under your name either.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:25 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:mebe it was a trial thing or someoen put it in their sig but nope, and the age isn't displayed under your name either.

Well, not under your name, no. There's a space where you can fill in your birthday, and then it puts your age on there.
My Blag

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:51 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:I kinda like the title system. On some boards, you can set your own, and make yourself sound like an egotistical twat. But here, they are added, randomly, based on how you act around the fora!

It's pretty awesomely random.

I always wondered how that worked... I thought there might be a minimum post count or something.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:53 am UTC

I'd rather keep the ability to be relatively gender neutral than enhance the extent to which this forum enables people to hook up.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:00 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:I'd rather keep the ability to be relatively gender neutral than enhance the extent to which this forum enables people to hook up.

Indeed, I'd agree on this point. But it gets awfully confusing when someone posts something in a thread in (say, LSR) and at the end says something like "but then, that's just my opinion..." Their opinion doesn't mean as much to us because we can't attach it to a gender for wich to say the idea.
My Blag

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:09 am UTC

If their opinion is especially informed by their gender, they should mention it. I mean, it's kind of a fringe case when a person's gender makes their opinion on a matter more valid in here, isn't it?

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:14 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:If their opinion is especially informed by their gender, they should mention it. I mean, it's kind of a fringe case when a person's gender makes their opinion on a matter more valid in here, isn't it?

I guess you're right...I think it's more of a personal issue than anything else. It's always an uncomfortable situation to suddenly realize that the "he" is actually a "she" or Vic Vera. It's also awkward to say he/she in every post referencing a poster,
My Blag

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:16 am UTC

Yeah, that's true. I try my very hardest to avoid the issue through awkward sentence constructions.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:19 am UTC

You can look up the gender neutral pronouns on Wikipedia.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:20 am UTC

Ugh. I hate those things. I mean "ey"? "zie"? Who are they kidding?
My Blag

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:22 am UTC

To randomly break up the discussion on gender tags, I love all of the support from everyone on this fora and the sense of community.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:23 am UTC

Yeah, no problem.

I mean, who hasn't already had like three discussions about third person singular pronouns on this forum already?

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:24 am UTC

I haven't. That's my first. But then, I'm pretty new.
My Blag

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:32 am UTC

I have to say "no" to using ♂ and ♀ to represent gender due to a brief period in which I played Pokémon Silver. I'm sure someone else here knows what I'm talking about. :)

So, yeah, metathread... How 'bout them avatars? Pretty snazzy.
多么现在棕色母牛?

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:13 am UTC

I just finished playing Pokemon Gold so I know what you are talking about.

But actually, I see that as the one positive aspect of having those signs next to my name. I haven't felt this much like a Pokemon since I learned that I could scratch and tackle things.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:15 am UTC

I'm sorry, am I missing something? What are you guys talking about, with the avatars?
My Blag

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:18 am UTC

We are talking about Pokemon.

(Pokemon Gold and Silver introduced Pokemon having genders so you can breed them. So all the Pokemon had little gender markers. Really they should have marked sex, technically, since it was primarily for breeding rather than how society treated them, but hey I guess if you misuse the word species and evolution you can sort of misuse the word gender too, Pokemon.)

Edit: Whoops, you were asking about the avatars.

I dunno what that's about either.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:45 am UTC

I've only belonged to one forum before this one, and that was about four years ago. The other day I went back to my old account on that forum and made a post, and while formatting it I realized just how smoothly, efficiently, and helpfully everything here is laid out.

As for the "only really talk when there's something to argue about," yeah, I agree. Threads take two forms, which are prone to changing intrathread. First, when someone poses a question or a thought or whatever, people just reply to the OP with things that interest them. The replies don't really have anything to do with each other. Like in the So Tell Me About Your Mother thread. The first several replies were all personal and anecdotal. The Song Lyrics thread is an example of a thread that basically never leaves this form.

Then someone takes issue with something that has been said. "What? Are you crazy? Vista is the best!" If at least two people are willing to engage, the replies start to thread and the discussion is on. This is a much more interesting form in my opinion. Discussion zeroes in on the tiniest aspect of an issue, then veers wildly in another direction, like a plucked string. Points are synthesized and analyzed until resolution is reached, if through nothing other than one party leaving or a mod intervening. Then we return to the first form. The Religion thread is a good example of this.

I don't know, I like this place. It's...safe.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:10 am UTC

^ Very well stated, Quix.
To me, it seems like my awareness of a user is largely based upon their avatar, at least at first. If I see someone with a unique/eyecatching AV, then I begin to quickly associate that person's posts together, even if they only have a few dozen posts. On the other hands, I will occasionally see >1k post members tho whom I am thoroughly unacquainted.
I've spent a lot of time thinking about gender tags, and have decided it's a bad idea. The only place it is really needed is where the gender actually impacts the discussion, like LSR. Other than that, it just leads to bias.* (Not that there is much bias at all here, mind you.) I love the gender balance that xkcd has. After a while, you learn genders anyway. (I thought Insignificant Deification was a dude at first :oops: )

*yes, that was stated a few posts up. I feel the same way.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:26 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:I have to say "no" to using ♂ and ♀ to represent gender due to a brief period in which I played Pokémon Silver. I'm sure someone else here knows what I'm talking about. :)

I hate aminalted av's cos they take ages to load...except the one about fisting sheep...hehe

Well, behold my new sig format. HAHAHA, ♂ was easier than writign "male" and less ambiguous than 'M'

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:35 am UTC

I am in favor of the gender icon as it gives just a bit more context to what is being said.

Regarding avatars: I find I only recognise people by their avatars, e.g. Mr. Beck. I like your blue thingy... I also use them to (often subconsciously) guess the gender of the person. So if someone has a relatively gender neutral avatar, my brain gets confused somewhat.

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:17 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:^ Very well stated, Quix.
To me, it seems like my awareness of a user is largely based upon their avatar, at least at first. If I see someone with a unique/eyecatching AV, then I begin to quickly associate that person's posts together, even if they only have a few dozen posts. On the other hands, I will occasionally see >1k post members tho whom I am thoroughly unacquainted.

We should make a "rate my avatar" thread.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:21 am UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:We've been through this again, and again, and again. NO. There will be no gendermarks. NONE.

This, in modvoice. I strongly suggest you all move on from that, since discussion as to whether or not we should have it is bordering on done-before SF/I territory which would kill an otherwise interesting and worthwhile thread.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:41 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:What's with spoilers requiring Javascript? That's annoying. :( Personally, I hate phpBB.

Anyway, what makes this place awesome is the userbase, obviously. It's one of the only places I know that you can have intelligent discussions about (and get help with) just about anything, without being expected to be a rocket surgeon.

One thing though, it'd be really neat if we had ♂/♀ icons next to our names (that's the male/female signs if you can't see them), as there does tend to be a fair bit of ambiguity about one's gender sometimes, and we discuss love, sex, and relationships enough to have an entire forum for it. It's the kind of place I can see people hooking up through, so having some way to tell without digging through their posts could help with that.

But that's half the fun!

Most places on the Internets, you can guess based off the stated significant other of a given user - but around here, our homosexual/bisexual rate is through the roof and you just can't tell.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

ZLVT wrote:
benjhuey wrote:I have to say "no" to using ♂ and ♀ to represent gender due to a brief period in which I played Pokémon Silver. I'm sure someone else here knows what I'm talking about. :)

I hate aminalted av's cos they take ages to load...except the one about fisting sheep...hehe

Well, behold my new sig format. HAHAHA, ♂ was easier than writign "male" and less ambiguous than 'M'

What does the "Hu" stand for? Human?
My Blag

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

Ramses IV wrote:What does the "Hu" stand for? Human?

It says at the bottom of his sig. Ethnicity.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

Hmm. "Hu"....Hungarian? Are you a Hungarian, ZLVT? First thing that comes up on google.
My Blag

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

Indeed I am, though I reside in Canberra.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

Strikes me as a rather odd thing to add to one's sig, though - care for an explanation, ZLVT?
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

MoonBuggy wrote:Strikes me as a rather odd thing to add to one's sig, though - care for an explanation, ZLVT?

Hmm. Perhaps the entire thread before this?
My Blag

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

I meant the ethnicity part, I guess that wasn't clear - there doesn't seem to have been any mention of it.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:00 pm UTC

Well, I imagine that's for the same reasons as gender and age. Helps put the post in context.
My Blag

Return to “General”