Loser who can't meet people

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gojoe

Loser who can't meet people

Postby Gojoe » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

I know that there are several threads about being hard to meet people. And they all end the same way (pretty much grow some balls and meet people at various social places).

But I think that my case is a little different. I live in New Zealand (Christchurch to be more exact) and i am surrounded by people that only think about being drunk and the act of becoming drunk. Even all of the geeky guys i know are like that. Now my social circle is pretty much limited to my girlfriend, her brother and work mates (it is a new job so i don't do anything social with them). All of my friends from high school have gone their different ways. So pretty much i need a way to meet geeky people. Christchurch only really has 1 comic book store, and i am pretty sure that the owner does not like me (i don't understand it, i spend enough money there).

So if there are any people here that know Christchurch that can give me a neat place to meet people please let me know. Or if their are any people in Christchurch that would want to hang out? I really want to widen my social circle and need some pointers i guess.

Oh and btw I am 19 years old and work full time at a computer software company (life was such a breeze when i used to live at home and went to high school, being a grown up sucks)
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Re: Loser who can't meet people

Postby parkaboy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

I know a couple people... but when they aren't studying their asses off at Uni or spending time with their new family they're on WoW... so probably not a viable source of friendship. Who knows though? Unless I'm mistaken though we have a few Kiwis on here don't we? NZ meetup perhaps? *shuffles off to check the meatspacemeet forum*

Well shit you guys... there are no threads. Make something happen! GO GO GO.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

With a name like Christchurch, I'm assuming it's a small religious-freak town. If so, I'd suggest you leave ASAP, but I realize that may not be feasible. :-/

If it's a decent-size city, then I guess you're in about the same boat as me.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

joff

Postby joff » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:20 am UTC

I used to live in Chch a little while ago... if you like LAN gaming, then I'd definitely check out L3.. http://www.l3.net.nz/

Also, if you like bands, then just go see gigs at the Dux or Wunderbar... always friendly people there... quite a few of them hang out on http://www.outofkilter.net/forum/ so I'd suggest introducing yourself on there...
mostly_true_comics wrote:...we're forgetting about the geopolitical ramifications of such an incursion. If you think the Morloks, Molemen, and Lord Kinbote are going to sit still while you tunnel through their territory, think again.

28/♂/hetero/NZ

annals

Postby annals » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:47 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:With a name like Christchurch, I'm assuming it's a small religious-freak town. If so, I'd suggest you leave ASAP, but I realize that may not be feasible. :-/

If it's a decent-size city, then I guess you're in about the same boat as me.

This combined with

Gojoe wrote:I am surrounded by people that only think about being drunk and the act of becoming drunk

combined with

Wikipedia wrote:Christchurch (Māori: Ōtautahi) is the regional capital of Canterbury, New Zealand. The largest city in the South Island, it is also the second largest city and third largest urban area of New Zealand. A coastal city, the urban area is situated just north of Banks Peninsula, midway down the South Island's east coast, but (since 2006) the city limits encompass the peninsula.

gave me a little giggle.

Syntax

Postby Syntax » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:57 am UTC

I was just about to make a similar post myself. Christ I'm lonely.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:09 am UTC

I don't know if you're in college or not but if you are, there are ways to meet people. I'm sure you could place ads in the campus about forming some sort of group interested in X (X being whatever you choose). Or you could try a more subtle approach, like for instance wearing a shirt of your favorite band to see if you get any comments or an xkcd shirt, you never know who might be a fan. Or you could try this at your job. You're new so I wouldn't really give much thought to it really. Back on the good old days when I had a job I think I don't think I had any non-work related conversations till my first month or something. Just start a conversation with something like "oh how was your weekend?" and comment on what they did. Maybe they went to the same concert you went, or saw that movie you liked so much. Even if you don't have anything in comment, a good bitchfest about the boss always brings staff together. :P

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:27 am UTC

Well, I have been here for a while, and my coworkers and I share the interest of video games and webcomics, but when ever it comes to social activities (such as drinking or lans) they skirt around it when i walk in. So i do not think they want to do things after hours. Also i can not wear a t shirt when i work the day shift... We still have a dresscode...

Oh and no i do not go to uni. Yes mother i will go one day

EDIT: oh wait i could wear a t shirt on casual friday...

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:40 am UTC

Gojoe wrote:I live in New Zealand (Christchurch to be more exact)

(Christchurch to be more exact)

Christchurch

Christchurch

Christchurch

... I think I found your problem. Gtfo of Christchurch/the South Island.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:50 am UTC

Gojoe wrote:Well, I have been here for a while, and my coworkers and I share the interest of video games and webcomics, but when ever it comes to social activities (such as drinking or lans) they skirt around it when i walk in. So i do not think they want to do things after hours. Also i can not wear a t shirt when i work the day shift... We still have a dresscode...

Not to be a pessimist, but they might be the type of people who don't really associate with coworkers after work. You know, the type of people that like to keep their work-self separated from their workplace. But still, it doesn't hurt to try. I don't know how long you've been there and maybe it's just me but perhaps they just don't know you well enough to hand out with you on their free time. Like "oh yeah Gojoe's cool and all but who knows how he really is after he punches out". Like I said, maybe it's just me but maybe once they know you more they'll ask you out to stuff or you can ask them.

Also if you like sports you could join a league of some sort. Get into some extracurricular activities maybe?

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:18 am UTC

I went to Christchurch. It's a nice city. It's quite pretty. But damn is the South Island boring. Move out.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:05 am UTC

I have a cushy job in Christchurch. Its nice. I get 24 weeks off a year paid, they pay for my broadband, very nice insurance for me and my girl... I can not just leave. I suppose i could just ask if they want to do something, but what should i say. So hey i want to go buy comics, wanna come? lol. I suppose i could ask if they want to go see the dark knight when it comes out...

I dunno, anyone in chch wanna meet up by chance?

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

See, I don't know geography. :(
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:17 am UTC

I've heard good things about meetup.com (a website which supposedly helps people organize meetups of like minded people for any sort of activity, you could probably find some sort of geeky stuff to do) but I've never used it, so I don't know how good it will be.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:36 am UTC

Lol, i have tried. No such luck. I am sure it will be better in different parts of the world...

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:48 am UTC

I'm determined to get you at least one friend dammit. Have you tried looking for local forums about things you're interested in? That way you'll talk about things you like with people you can actually meet.

How good friends are you with your girfriends's brother? Maybe you guys can hang out with his friends and see if you all get along.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:00 pm UTC

Bizarre solution- have a baby and thus meet lots of other new parents.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

joff

Postby joff » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

In addition to my other (excellent) suggestions, perhaps take up night classes in something interesting? I'm pretty sure CPIT still do some for free (I did an introductory Spanish one there a couple of years ago it was a lot of fun...)
mostly_true_comics wrote:...we're forgetting about the geopolitical ramifications of such an incursion. If you think the Morloks, Molemen, and Lord Kinbote are going to sit still while you tunnel through their territory, think again.

28/♂/hetero/NZ

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:16 pm UTC

hmmm. Joff both of your suggestions seem quite.... perfect?
I have heard of l3, but have never actually gone. And i have joined outofkilter. And CPIT night classes might work, the only problem is i do shift work, so one in 5 weeks i have to do nightshift. Oh well i might be able to make it work.

Thanks man

wst

Postby wst » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

Join your local hash maybe?
(It's a drinking club with a running problem ;) and you're allowed to walk)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

eristic
Mmm, superhero brains! Nom nom nom...

Postby eristic » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:00 am UTC

wst wrote:Join your local hash maybe?

I surfed the site and have no clue wtf a hash club is. could you expand on it or PM me with some info?
Clerria wrote:
eristic wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

Haikus are simple
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:37 am UTC

They jog. Then they go to a bar and drink. Possibly jog home afterwards. Probably take a cab.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

joff

Postby joff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:39 am UTC

Gojoe wrote:hmmm. Joff both of your suggestions seem quite.... perfect?
I have heard of l3, but have never actually gone. And i have joined outofkilter. And CPIT night classes might work, the only problem is i do shift work, so one in 5 weeks i have to do nightshift. Oh well i might be able to make it work.

Thanks man

No worries. Both groups of people are, in general, super friendly too :)

28/♂/hetero/NZ

snafubar

Postby snafubar » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

A WoW guild I used to be in was mostly from NZ (I'm from the US but I stay up crazy late...), I think a few of them mentioned being from Christchurch.

Generally speaking there are people of all types including nerds in any town, the trick is how to meet them. And honestly if you're looking for nerdy ones somewhere online is probably best. WoW, xkcd, other forums, personal ads or such things (is there craigslist down there?), or other scheduled get togethers of people who share your interests (which can be searched for online). If you have any religious affiliation church is another option. Or university/college classes, however that works down there. Maybe take one class (evening or whatever) and see who you run into.
We are god's unwanted children, so be it!

wst

Postby wst » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

eristic wrote:
wst wrote:Join your local hash maybe?

I surfed the site and have no clue wtf a hash club is. could you expand on it or PM me with some info?

Basically what ST said. I couldn't get the 'official' HHH site to load, so I gave a shitty alternative that is your best chance of finding your local.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Return to “General”