A way around music piracy? (Now with a poll)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What is your stance on music piracy?

I download music illegally, and never buy it
13%
I download music illegally, and only buy it if I can't get it for free
12%
I download music illegally, but may buy it afterwards if I think it's good
26%
I don't download music illegally
10%
I think the proposal in the first post, or something similar, is a good idea
13%
I think it's a bad idea
14%
I'm not sure, or have no opinion on the matter
12%

Total votes: 69

Dark Ragnarok

Re: A way around music piracy?

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:56 am UTC

We need a poll to see who buys hard copies when they really like an artist. I know I will even though I downloaded them first, because I value the hard copy after the fact.

If the majority of people do this, than it seems we need to change how money gets distributed in the record company.

LSK

Re: A way around music piracy? (Now with a poll)

Postby LSK » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:51 am UTC

I have an music-buying habit not mentioned in the poll, and it IS a bit odd:

- When I want to hear music, and I don't have a copy, I'll download it illegally.
- When I like an artist, I'll go to a live show and buy a CD there. If this isn't an option, I'll buy their CDs in a store, but only new CDs, and only while they're new.
- Occasionally I'll go to my local record store and buy a CD on extreme markdown (they're $2.) This is primarily to support the record store and not the musicians themselves. It also lets me hear bands I never would've heard of.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:51 am UTC

Er... I WOULD buy music if I have money, but I don't. So "I don't ever pay for it" is true, but not because I don't believe in funding that which I appreciate.. or something.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:26 am UTC

ja I download music cos paying for it wothout knowing is something only reserved for fans buying a newly released CD. But if it's good, I'll buy it.
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:46 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:ja I download music cos paying for it wothout knowing is something only reserved for fans buying a newly released CD. But if it's good, I'll buy it.

not true.

blatantly not true.

several times recently I have walked into a record store and bought things by artists I have shown no previous interest in, and haven't listened to.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:19 am UTC

I think, if you're listening to, and deriving enjoyment from an artist's work, you owe them something for that. All of your cultural entertainment was created by some kind of artist or author, and if they were not paid for that you would have NO ENTERTAINMENT AT ALL. Some artists find revenue streams other than media sales to provide an income, and choose to release their material for free. But that is their choice to make, not yours. I think that no matter how little it costs to produce a copy of a CD or MP3, that is not where the intrinsic value of the item lies. It is from its utility to the customer that art derives measurable monetary value.

So, this isn't about whether an artist could be making their money elsewhere than media sales, and those who claim that they can, and therefore music should be free or vanishingly cheap are strawmanning. Especially if they base their argument on the idea that new distribution methods make free music a foregone conclusion. If you're deriving enjoyment from the fruit of a person's labour, then you owe them. That is all there is to it.

Also, those people who have claimed that CD sales provide nothing to an artist need to get a clue about the economics of the situation. If a band manages to sell 10,000 copies of an album for 10 dollars apiece, there is a gross earning of 100,000 dollars. If they see only 10% of that then they make 10,000 dollars on that release. Whenever 10,000 dollars becomes "nothing" there is a serious problem of perspective present. It may be little compared to what they might make touring, or little compared to some of the bigger fish. But 10,000 dollars would pay my rent for two years. It would buy me some shiny new equipment with which to make the next album, pay for studio time or hire a lawyer to fight the record company over the next release.

If I ever sell 10,000 copies of anything, most of you would still never have heard of me as an artist. But it would make the kind of difference to me and to my living situation to earn that amount of money that the idea that it amounts to nothing is laughable.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Ironmon1

Postby Ironmon1 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

Dream wrote:if you're listening to, and deriving enjoyment from an artist's work, you owe them something for that.

Very true, but I want my money going to the artist, not some retarded, abusive middleman like the RIAA. If I can get $1 to the artist only by giving $9 to parasites, I'll keep my money to myself, thank you.
DarkFortuneKookie wrote:Why do Make-up commercials exist?

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
ZLVT wrote:ja I download music 'cos paying for it without knowing is something only reserved for fans buying a newly released CD. But if it's good, I'll buy it.

not true.

blatantly not true.

several times recently I have walked into a record store and bought things by artists I have shown no previous interest in, and haven't listened to.

hmm, I'm far mre tentative with music, I don't like to have things unless I know they're good. Well, unless it's free.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

I rely fairly completely on youtube to be honest to find out if i like something then if i like it i will ussually buy it.

Ive never actually illegally downloaded music, partly because i love owning CDs but mostly as it seams a fairly poor way of paying back the musician for the enjoyment you get from the music.

I cant see your idea fixing the base problem but nore to i know how much of an issue it actually is. Obviously money is being lost to illegal downloads but artists who are most downloaded arnt exactly languishing in poverty and small bands who are trying to get off the ground are going to be much more reliant on concert ticket sales.

If music were made legal to download from the internet but at lower quality than CD brought music would the industry be destroyed?
One day something wity and original will appear here

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:54 am UTC

Irrefutable wrote:I rely fairly completely on youtube to be honest to find out if i like something then if i like it i will ussually buy it.

Wicked, I alos live on youtube, hehe this guy Angerfist455 has like all of angerfist's songs up...he's my new god...till I find another one.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:16 am UTC

Ironmon1 wrote:
Dream wrote:if you're listening to, and deriving enjoyment from an artist's work, you owe them something for that.

Very true, but I want my money going to the artist, not some retarded, abusive middleman like the RIAA. If I can get $1 to the artist only by giving $9 to parasites, I'll keep my money to myself, thank you.

Perhaps you should ask the artists' opinions of whether their record companies deserve any money? Many of them are or were quite happy with their representation, marketing and recording budgets. All of them decided that the record company was the right way to get their music from the recording studio to your stereo, and were funded and assisted in doing so by the company. If they didn't like it any longer, they could quit and reform as a different band, or just make money performing. But they still think that it is worth continuing in a major label structure. That includes a portion of the cost of their records going to the companies that financed and nurtured them.

You are willfully confusing the RIAA with the labels it represents and the work they do. While I am no fan of recording companies in general, I do accept that they do a lot of work on behalf of their artists, and can expect some recompense from that.

Alternatively, you might be so principled that you would never associate yourself with people who are involved with such tactics as the RIAA uses, and are even less likely to support them with money. If so, I wonder about some things: I wonder do you extend such principles to areas of your consumption that don't include free music for you, but include far worse crimes than aggressive litigation? I wonder do you mail a dollar cheque to the artists whose music you have enjoyed without having payed for it cutting out the evil RIAA but paying the creators? I wonder do you boycott the artists who make up the labels that support the RIAA with their sales, and refuse to listen to their music?
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Return to “General”