Squirrel problems

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lt Greatsocks

Squirrel problems

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:22 am UTC

I had a pretty interesting night.
My dog Dante was out back. I heard a squeal. I put two and two together. He was standing over this one spot and he wouldn't come in. It was dark at the time so I just kinda let it slide. A few hours later my mom gets home from work. She's on the phone, so I don't interrupt her. She eventually lets the Dante outside. I hear a very loud squealing and run outside and start yelling at my dog. Once we get the him inside I grab a flashlight and check the area where he was standing.

My friend and I see what appears to be a massive rat. I shine the flashlight on it and it starts to drag itself away. The rat's back legs were broken by the look of it.
We head inside and debate what to do with it. My mom and I are both huge animal people, so we didn't just want to leave it outside to die. I thought killing it would be the best idea. She calls up her cop friend and that quickly killed my idea of shooting it, we live in a pretty crowded neighborhood.

We walk back outside but we can't find the rat. After looking for a good while we find it under a nearby tree. My friend freaks out when the sees the massive tail. I give it another look. It was actually a squirrel, which would explain the huge tail. At this point, it's way too cute/pathetic to kill. It even climbed a couple feet up the tree with just it's arms and fell back down. My mom got the idea to trap it in the fish tank we feed our snake in. We placed the tank under the tree so that when the squirrel fell he fell into the tank. So now, I've got a squirrel in a fish tank sitting on my porch.

Of course, at this point, we're going to try to save it. It appears to have bite marks in it's back and a broken leg. How much can you do for such a small animal in that situation? I'm a huge animal person so I'd really like to save the squirrel if possible. I'd really appreciate any info or advice. Thanks.

P.S. my friend named him Larry.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Re: Squirrel problems

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:26 am UTC

Take it to a vet?

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:43 am UTC

I had planned on that much. I was asking if anyone knew how much a vet could really do for the squirrel.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:50 am UTC

We can't ascertain the squirrels medical condition for you over the internet, bud. Take it to a vet and ask them.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

A vet would humanely destroy it.

If I were a vet, I'd humanely destroy the filthy little vermin, then employ certain aspects of Hammer's Frankenstein films afterwards. ('I've always wanted to pull a large, wall-mounted lever, and shout 'it is alive!' as my creation sits up amidst an interior electrical storm.)

This rather despicable post will be willingly rescinded if the squirrel resembles the lady squirrel in The Sword and the Stone.

Me, as a vet, attending to 'the subject'.
Spoiler:
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:07 pm UTC

If you have kungfu vet skills, set it's leg and tend to it's wounds. You way also need a sterile environment. Failing that, it may be best to have it killed at a vet's.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

It sounds in a pretty bad way. I say kill it, then give it to Felstaff to see what he can do...
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:32 am UTC

GIVE MY CREATION LIFE!

[/manic cackling]
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

mstrzerg

Postby mstrzerg » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

Yeah, I hate to say this, but killing it is by far the most humane thing you can do for it. Especially if it's legs are broken. Setting a small animal bone correctly and safely, all while avoiding getting bitten and getting a disease is going to be tough. (Do squirrels carry any diseases?) If you take it to a vet they'll probably say the same thing. They will put it down with a shot. There are humane ways you can do it yourself. Google lists car exhaust as one option, or a pellet gun would work if you have access. I know this may seem morbid, but coming from a farm-ish environment, it is almost certainly the best you can do.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

Reanimated Squirrel wrote:Hrssssssfffffschk!

It's tasted blood?! RUN FOR YOU LIFE!!!

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

Hehehe. Looks like he registered just to post that.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

om617

Postby om617 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

Bring it to Animal Control (or whatever your locality's equivalent is) and have it tested for rabies. Unless, of course, you value the squirrel more than yourself and Dante.
The lady on the right is CONSTITUTION running with all canvas set.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

What have I done?

ATCG

Postby ATCG » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

See if there is a wildlife rescue organization in your area. The Audubon Society of Portland (Oregon) is one near me, and I would suspect that there is an Audubon Society chapter not far from wherever you happen to be. Note that such organizations may treat only native species (and humanely euthanize others), so if you were in the Western United States with a fox squirrel or an eastern grey squirrel, two introduced species from the east coast that are driving out native squirrels, your injured animal might not be facing a promising future.

Good luck to you and Larry.
"The age of the universe is 100 billion, if the units are dog years." - Sean Carroll

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:

What have I done?<Huge ass-picture>
Well done. You've successfully fucked the chances of the entire human race. I hope you're proud of yourself...
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

You said the tank it's in is used for snake food? Put the snake in, unless it's a tiny snake that doesn't usually eat whole squirrels. If that's the case, take it out back with a shovel and hope you're not in a Stephen King novel.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

AlwaysRelated

Postby AlwaysRelated » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

Kill it, especially if it's a black squirrel. They're pretty annoying, and it's already hurt, so putting it out of the pain is the best.

Semi Offtopic: My mom once killed a possum with a hammer. And a pitchfork. Through its head. For half an hour.

Shakes

Postby Shakes » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

You could try this: http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/20040405/badger.shtml. It's for badgers, but it may work with a squirrel too.

Note: only try this if things do not work out with the squirrel (i.e., your squirrel doesn't make it, dies.)

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

Kill it.

Believe me, there is no point in taking it to a vet. My dad is a vet and is constantly complaining about the "shitty little animals" that people bring in. All he does is kill them, and waste money that would be used on supplies for peoples pets. Oh and if it is at night and you call them out (which I severely hope you do not.... As I have been woken up a stupid amount of times because of the father leaving my house to kill some shit animal) then expect to pay a hefty sum. I know here it is around £130, and that is to literally leave the house and look at the animal. Nothing else, a look costs you £130.

So please, for the sake of it, the vert, the vets wife and his children; just kill it. Feed it to the mentioned snake or something.

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:43 am UTC

The morning after we got the squirrel my mom called animal control or someone like that and they picked it up. From what everyone's said I'm sure they're just gonna end up killing it anyway. If it would make everyone feel better, I could go find another squirrel and kill it. :)

darren

Postby darren » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:57 am UTC

Kill it, skin it, eat it.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:23 am UTC

darren wrote:Kill it, skin it, eat it.

But which way? There's more than one way to skin any small, furry animal.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Minchandre

Postby Minchandre » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:22 am UTC

darren wrote:Kill it, skin it, eat it.

Hopefully in that order?

joff

Postby joff » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:35 am UTC

Hopefully...
mostly_true_comics wrote:...we're forgetting about the geopolitical ramifications of such an incursion. If you think the Morloks, Molemen, and Lord Kinbote are going to sit still while you tunnel through their territory, think again.

28/♂/hetero/NZ

Return to “General”