xkcd tourism in the United States

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: Places in the US, west of the Mississippi (roadtrip)

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:42 am UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:New Orleans.

What? It's west of the Mississippi. I think. It's been a while since I've looked at the map. Either way, it's practically right on top of it, so it's not like it'll make a huge difference. <_<

New orleans spans the Mississippi river delta, it is on the East and West.

As an addition to my earlier post (because I am hungry now) While not in Wyoming, visit Jackson Hole and the 'Mountain High Pizza Pie' therein for an amazingly delicious pizza.

While in the Rocky Mountains, visit a Beau Jo's Pizza, for more pizza (as in larger pizzas that are no less delicious)

While in Austin you should break from eating so much Pizza (though a trip to Austin's Pizza is acceptable) and grab some Threadgills, the Frisco (last of the nighthawk restaraunts) some Z Tejas (a little nicer), EZ's (A little more 50's), any of the burger joints down-town and Chuy's (since I lived there for 20 years, I kinda know most of the best places that the natives eat at) and grab Amy's Ice-cream for desert.

While in San Antonio, walk into any meXican food restaurant you see, it will be delicious (I've been visiting San Antonio for 20 years, eating at different places every time and haven't had anything less than an excellent meal there yet)

You're on your own at the Grand canyon though.

Also, I suggest San Diego for your west coast destination, if you can't find a good place to eat your missing the bloody point (which is that San Diego has the most consistently wonderful weather on the planet and beaches to enjoy it on)
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:05 am UTC

clintonius wrote:I'm amazed how far down the first mention of Seattle was! And Liza's was really only cursory.

I'm surprised too. I guess people just don't care about the Pacific Northwest. *sob*
I'm not really good at listing Seattlish places to go because I've only been there twice. Oregon native and homebody, yo. There was some sort of water park that was neat. And coffee there is predictably excellent. Washingtonians can specify on both items, I suppose.
And Mt. Rainier wishes it could be Hood. Jus' sayin'.

Amerindian Reservations are always cool too, but anything in Eastern OR/WA is worth avoiding. And all of Idaho, under virtually all circumstances. Montana is good for naturey things - mountain sports and hiking and pretending you're on some PBS nature-type program.

I guess the question is really in whether you'd want to see the interesting things or get a taste of American life. ID/MT/E OR/E WA(/maybe some parts of California?) are terrible, but essential if you want to see the rural Western dry farmtastic America.

Oh, and I can list Alaska-y things to do too if people are interested; it is technically west of the Mississippi, eh?
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14 am UTC

If you're gonna do a roadtrip, it may as well be an epic one, and Alaska's pretty epic.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:32 am UTC

Objections to a move to Meetups?
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:52 am UTC

Yes. I don't think peeps are planning to meet up so much as we're coming up with a terrific road trip. I'm in favor of saving the meet-up thread for specific meet-ups.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

a thing

Postby a thing » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:04 am UTC

Lake Tahoe is breathtakingly gorgeous. Ride the gondola at the Heavenly ski resort on the south side of the lake.
The Rocky Mountains are beautiful too. I should go back there some day.
If you can time it right, drive west down the Sierra Nevadas while the sun is setting. Amazing view of northern California.
Speeding down an interstate in the Nevada desert is kinda interesting. The salt flats are too.
Las Vegas
If you want to really see what "boring" means, Wyoming.

I hear the Grand Canyon is nice, although I've never been there.
Last edited by a thing on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: My posts may change (dramatically) within the first 15 minutes they're posted.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
While in San Antonio, walk into any meXican food restaurant you see, it will be delicious (I've been visiting San Antonio for 20 years, eating at different places every time and haven't had anything less than an excellent meal there yet)

I'm not sure about this one. I visited San Diego, and stopped at a random Mexican place. The food was absolutely excellent. The issue was my gastrointestinal fortitude was adversely affected the next day, and that's not something you really want when travelling.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

doc leech

Postby doc leech » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

Waits for it... waits for it...
Float like a float-bot, sting like an automatic stinging machine

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

Wow, that's pretty bad. Hilarious, though.

CLINTONIUS! Man, I hope you check this thread. Ok, so I've been told recently that you can go snowboarding/skiing in Seattle (well, not in Seattle, but you know what I mean) pretty much year round. Is that true? That would be amazing. I was told that during the summer there's still some killer snow on... Rainier? Maybe? and that you can just hike up and board back down. Did I mention it was in the summer? SUMMER!
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

There's definitely a ton of snow on Rainier, but I don't think you're allowed to ski/board on it -- and at 14,000 feet, it's not exactly a leisurely hike :). A friend of mine climbed it once. Said friend was and is a mountaineer, skiier, climber, and all-around shapely outdoors guy. He said the hike made him puke. Perhaps you heard about Mt. Baker? Or Mt Hood down around Portland? Unfortunately, all the snowboarding I did during my brief but decorated career was either in eastern WA or up in Canada, so I'm not terribly familiar with the areas around Seattle.

I just checked the Mt Rainier Nat'l Park site, and they do allow snowboarding during guided tours in the winter. I'm sure there'd be enough snow year-round for you to go in the summer, as well, but like I said, it's a hell of a walk.

Anybody else do more Seattle-area skiing/snowboarding than I did?
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

dreadfulduck

Postby dreadfulduck » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:20 am UTC

you know what is sad (crying shame sad, not pathetic sad)?

My husband and I were going to go to Denver for our honeymoon, but we decided to go on a cruise instead -- mainly because it was late spring when we got married and a lot of the ski type places were closed, plus we weren't really in the mood for chilliness, more for warm hotness. And that is what we got. And I've also always wanted to go to Las Vegas. Just seems like a fun town.

Endless Mike

Re: xkcd tourism in the United States

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:DC: Again, lots to do, museums, government museums, memorials etc., there's a good arboretum and lots of other stuff around, although I hear that the interior of DC that's not government is a little sketchy. Also, try to get a hotel with a subway stop. I think one of the Embassy suites has one, and it was amazingly convenient. The DC subway is nice, don't get discouraged by the dirty, smelly NY subway.

SOME neighborhoods are, yes, but DC has LOTS of neighborhoods, all of which have their own distinct flavor and ideals. Georgetown is nothing like Anacostia (this is one to avoid) is nothing like Dupont is nothing like Columbia Heights is nothing like Capital Hill. There's also tons to see limited only by how long you plan to stick around. I definitely echo doing the museums during the week, though, and even then they're busy. I like the Air & Space Museum, the Natural History Museum, and the National Portrait Gallery the best.

Nullcline

Postby Nullcline » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

Don't go to Las Vegas. By just hitting the coasts, you're missing the most interesting part of the country. New Orleans is, largely, reopened. It is also one of the most curious places in the world. If you want to gamble, do so on the (mighty)Mississippi River. Nothing beats the Air and Space Museum, true, and you should/have to go there, but hitting up Huntsville or Houston would be a lot of fun. I live only a couple hundred miles from the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, and go there a lot. It's half (really cool)museum, and half Space-and-Rocket-themed amusement park. I was going to suggest that you visit Memphis(especially if you like Blues/Rock and Roll/Jazz/music at all,) but, seeing as you're most likely Jewish, it does lose half of its appeal. :P The Smoky Mountains are way underrated, as well. One major plus is that it would be a lot cheaper, too, although the way our currency is acting right now, it might not make that much of a difference(I'm guessing this has a lot to do with your timing on the trip.) So, my suggestion is, rethink your entire trip.

EDIT: Clarity.
Last edited by Nullcline on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't cross me.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

Also, there is no single "Smithsonian Museum." Most of the national museums in and around Washington are part of the Smithsonian Institution.

http://www.si.edu/

I haven't yet been to all of them (mainly due to lack of interest, but I should go anyway), but in addition to the ones I listed above, the American Indian Museum has the best food in the Mall area. The National Building Museum has some neat exhibits but it's a bit away from the other museums and only has four total, one being for kids. It has an AWESOME gift shop, though. If you're here before October 5, there's a Muppet exhibit going on, although I'm not 100% sure where.

hestia

Postby hestia » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

If you really want to get a feel for the heart of America, so to speak. I strongly suggest renting a car and driving historic route 30 or something like that. There are oodles of great small towns with all sorts of different characters. There you can meet a really different sort of American than what you will find in cities. If you can make it out to Holmes county, Ohio, you can see some Amish folk which is really interesting. Ohio has the largest Amish population in the country so it is totally the place to go if you are into that sort of thing.
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

Grand Canyon and Yellowstone are a MUST. Natural Bridges National Monument is also pretty spiffy. Some of the ghost towns in Arizona are interesting too...
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

The more I think about it...

Everyone, stay on the coasts. Maybe go to Denver if you want to Ski, or Chicago if you feel like it. Don't go anywhere else in the US. It's boring.

... no, I'm not at all saying this because I like the places that aren't on the coast and don't want to fight with people whenever I want to go somewhere and see something. Not at all. Totally boring.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

a thing

Postby a thing » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:35 am UTC

I have heard Yosemite is great, although I have never been there.
Disclaimer: My posts may change (dramatically) within the first 15 minutes they're posted.

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:02 am UTC

Windmill wrote:Don't skip out on West, Texas.

Fix'd. West, Texas, the town, is Czech and has a great Czech bakery that you should stop at if you happen to be driving through. I personally wouldn't wish to subject someone to the drive on I-10 from San Antonio to El Paso through the geographic West Texas unless you want to see a really really big wind farm. That's the only exciting thing out there.

Also, someone mentioned places to eat in Austin, Texas and didn't mention Freebirds. Really big burritos for a nice price.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:01 am UTC

Freebirds, while epically delicious, is in fact a chain that originated in Santa Barbara, California with several other locations in Texas and Oklahoma and plans for new locations in other parts of the country. (I did mention Chuy's which is also a chain, but one that originated in Austin some 20 years before expanding, is still only available in Texas and is still owned by the original owners, unlike freebirds which was sold last year to corporate interests, though to be fair, the only change is that now you get change at the register instead of all prices including tax and being in 25 cent increments)

I do agree with west Texas vs. West, Texas though, the Czech Stop is amazingly delicious, whereas west Texas is amazingly feature-less.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:37 am UTC

Living near D.C., I can give you this advice: stay at a hotel near one of the further metro stations from the city, and take the metro there. Traffic in the city is horrible, horrible, awful. just park in the metro lot (sometime in the morning would be better) and take the metro line to where you want to go. (I recommend the Smithsonian Institution museums, especially the Air and Space museum, the Museum of Natural History, and just about all of the museums in that general area. The memorials are pretty cool, but if you want to go up in the top of the Washington Monument, you'll need to buy a ticket early in the morning. All around the "mall" area are little souvenir and food stands, so you never have to go far for a bite to eat.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

Alomax wrote:Also if you're looking for really oddball places to visit, goto Roswell, NM.

Stay the hell away from Roswell. There's something in the water over there. Don't even stop for gas.

/personal experience
I can kill you with my brain.

Return to “General”