Back pain - WTF?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

wing
the /b/slayer

Back pain - WTF?

Postby wing » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:11 am UTC

I'm having some physical difficulties right now, and it's somewhat disturbing me.

I didn't wake up this morning without any pain, it set in gradually after being awake for several hours, which were spent sitting at my computer.

Eventually, I noticed that my lower back FUCKING HURTS.

It's painful to sit.
It's painful to stand upright.
It's painful to lay flat.

Sitting and standing issues can be mitigated by balancing with my spine off-center (in any direction) to keep load off of it. I can hunch forward, and it feels significantly better. I can lean backwards, and it feels significantly better. I can lean to the fecking side and it feels much better. My ass muscles are getting quite tired of doing this, however.

Laying down is issues are mitigated by keeping my knees raised. Laying with my legs fully extended is actually one of the most painful bits.

Any thoughts?

(and no, before anyone bothers, I'm 21 years old. I am not an old man.)
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Re: Back pain - WTF?

Postby liza » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:56 am UTC

Back pain can be serious (though it isn't always - no need to panic) and this is an internet forum. We are not medical professionals. Your doctor is. Go see him/her. We can theorize; he/she can fix.

Try alternating cold/heat in the meantime and don't do anything physically strenuous. Take it easy.

Unfortunately, this happened just before a holiday weekend. Make the appointment first thing Monday, unless the pain worsens significantly, in which case you can always go emergency room.

I know I'm just iterating what you probably already know, but it's standard advice because it is worth repeating. Good luck, hope you get out of pain soon.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:08 am UTC

Doctors appointment? After a holiday weekend? You're kidding, right? I thought all doctors took the two weeks immediately preceding any holiday off, as well as the 2 weeks immediately following. They certainly do around here.
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:17 am UTC

That doesn't stop you from trying, now does it? First thing Monday morning. Sooner is definitely better, nay?
You MAY want to try to make an appointment with a chiropractor too. He'll likely have the same scheduling issues, but you never know.
Again, if the pain significantly worsens, there's always the ER. In the mean time, there are very few quick-fixes for backs. Spines are their associated parts are delicate things.
Other less medical tactics include acupuncture, massage, and certain stretching exercises, though those are to be employed with caution, as doing them wrong can worsen the situation significantly.

But seriously. Doctor.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

Edgar T Friendly

Postby Edgar T Friendly » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:11 pm UTC

My learned colleague above makes a good point about this being a forum rather than a Doctors surgery, but regardless... have you done any heavy or awkward lifts recently, or participated in any excercise or arduous activity that you don't usually do?

Have you taken any pain relief, and if so was it effective?

Is it a sharp pain or a dull ache?
All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Well, everything seems to be better now. Was tossing and turning in bed, trying to find a position that didn't involve stabbing pain (there wasn't one), something popped during a roll, and now the only discomfort is in my ass and lower back muscles from spending the whole day twerking my balance

Off to sleep for me, now.

darren

Postby darren » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:22 pm UTC

Last edited by darren on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

How do you sit on your pc chair? and how hard is it?

If you've been sitting badly on the chair and resting on your coccyx then a bad back is usually a consequence of that. I used to have a bad back (when I was 16/17!) from a mixture of a karate injury, too hard matress and spending 5 days a week sitting badly on the common room and computer chairs.

As a general recomendation to anyone I'd say you should start working out your abs and obliques to give you spine a helping hand, as well as decent stretching.

I got bored and made some pics on MSPaint.

Spoiler:
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:53 am UTC

ishikiri wrote:I got bored and made some pics on MSPaint.

12 flavours of awesome :P
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:58 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:
ishikiri wrote:I got bored and made some pics on MSPaint.

12 flavours of awesome :P

Sigged!
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Return to “General”