What colour do you prefer to write in?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What colour pen do you prefer?

Black
50%
Dark Blue
30%
Light Blue
2%
Green
8%
Purple
7%
Red
2%
Orange
0%
Yellow
No votes

Total votes: 203

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

What colour do you prefer to write in?

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

This is partly an exercise in graphology, and partly out of interest.

If you had, in front of you, a range of different coloured pens, which one would you pick out to write in?

Qualities associated with different colours spolier'd to avoid tampering with results:
Spoiler:
black- associated with power, clarity, preciseness, formality and conservative thinking.
dark blue - concerned with future, friendly, soothing
light blue - sensitive, emotional, spiritual
green - adaptive, harmonious, concerned with humanity/society, investigative mind
purple - theatrical, concerned with own uniqueness, need to be noticed, likes fashion
red - bold, aggressive, desire to shock, actively takes control of responsibilities, strong
orange - creative
yellow - concerned with discovering own identity, uniqueness

What would be interesting is if people would say which they chose, then say if they think the description is accurate.

In everyday life, I generally write in green or purple. I think the description of green is probably more me, but purple is not. If I had to pick at random, I'd probably go with red. That's probably not me, except on the third description.

Edit: If anyone's interested, there are some more psychologically derived colour analysis available free online, based on the Luscher colour test. Try the one here, if you feel inclined. Again, perhaps you can share if you think it's accurate or not. I've taken it a few times at different stages, and at least one came out very accurate, and one came out inaccurate - so it's sort of an inconclusive result from me.
Last edited by existential_elevator on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ramses IV

Re: What colour do you prefer to write in?

Postby Ramses IV » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:07 pm UTC

If I had to pick, I'd choose black, although I'd prefer the more grayish color of a normal pencil. I think that your descriptions of each color are inaccurate, and remind me of chain letters or online quizzes (although you got a bit of the black description correct, for me). I'd choose black since it's a plain color, one that is easy to read and a bit more formal than the others. As a matter of fact, I hold a sort of disdain for those who write in other colors, such as yellow, green, light blue, etc. They are often too light, and are difficult to read. Also, they bring into my mind the writings of a girl in grade school.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

I chose black and dark blue, because I use those colors for everything. I don't even really use pencils except for math. The descriptions fit me on a basic level, but not perfectly.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

I tend to write with a favourite pen, which may or may not have anything to do with the colour of the ink. In high school I had a pair of Coca-Cola pens that I used all the time, one was bright pink and the other purple. I handed in a 50 page story written with those pens. I used to use the four-colour pens, and since the green would last longer I'd use that for everything for a while. But now it's generally a boring blue of black. I'm using my Free Comic Book day pen at the moment, which is black iirc.

I must say, with pens I very rarely see anyone use a colour other that black or blue. Except for fancy things (pretty colours) and marking (red.) I'm pretty sure I was the only one in my classes that used other colours.

*reads spoiler*

Um, yeah. I wouldn't put to much stock in that type of thing. Brings to mind mood rings. Although clarity and preciseness would be considerations in my pen choosing.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

I picked dark blue and purple. I write in purple because I found a purple pen at the shop at uni and it was cool. Otherwise, I just write in blue and read for headings and stuff.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:Um, yeah. I wouldn't put to much stock in that type of thing.

Me neither. It's just interesting though, to see how many other people tend toward using an unconventional colour more. A lot of colour analysis is flawed, as are most things of this ilk [little different than a horoscope].

If anyone's interested though, there are some more psychologically derived colour analysis available free online, based on the Luscher colour test. Try the one here, if you feel inclined. Again, perhaps you can share if you think it's accurate or not. I've taken it a few times at different stages, and at least one came out very accurate, and one came out inaccurate - so it's sort of an inconclusive result from me.

I tend to alternate colours when I'm writing notes because it makes certain parts easier to find afterwards; if I can remember that a bit of information I wanted was written in green, then I can find it a lot faster. Helps me to remember what it is in the first place, too.

Edit: I think I'm going to flag this in the OP.
Last edited by existential_elevator on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

poprocks and coke

Postby poprocks and coke » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Black, for practical reasons. Black is easy to see, and, to me, just looks better for important things. I'll use dark blue if I don't have black though.

kriel

Postby kriel » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

First choice (without reading first post): Black/Dark Blue. Why would you pick all the other colors, except maybe red?

(After reading first post): Oh, okay. What would you _rather_ write in. Dark/Light Blue.

(After popping spoiler): ... Shoulda figured it was something like that. I'd probably pick Dark Blue/Yellow from those traits (Though, I'd never write in yellow except for highlighters. It dosen't stand out enough against white.)

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

I picked only black, because its the only one i prefer writing in. I think its because biros tend to be blue (in my mind, anyways) so i assosiate it with scribbled notes/informality.
I like to think what i have to write is important :D

[an interesting note to add is that after a flick through my "programming notes/ideas" notepad, all the notes/ideas are in dark blue, whilst any class structures seem to be in black. Odd]
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Beacons!

Postby Beacons! » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

I chose black, and it seems fairly accurate. Power seems to be the word dominating my life at the moment with a twin attack from Power Metal and my interest in energy sources.
"Woof!", explained the dog

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:Qualities associated with different colours spolier'd to avoid tampering with results:
Spoiler:
yellow - concerned with discovering own identity, uniqueness and never being read on white paper

I fix'd one of them for you.

Also, if it's not for any sort of personal writing, black. If it's personal writing, white on black paper. Which, of course, isn't an option. Go me, or something.

I'M THE UNIQUEST!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

tiny

Postby tiny » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

I write in black mostly for reasons already mentioned (legibility, cleanness etc.).
The description for black doesn't fit me at all; I'd have to write in orange, but I hate orange. It's the anti-colour.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Black and dark blue for clarity, and also because that's what the pens in the stationery cupboard at work are.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

I voted black and dark blue mostly for clarity. It also really depends on what I'm writing. If it's just a few short notes or maybe a phone number, I would prefer the dark blue. However, if it's a page or something longer, I would use black. I would also be fine with a dark red.

For me, though, it's not so much as what color the pen is, but how well it writes and how easy it is for me to whip out. I've been using a nice dark blue pen for a while now because it writes very well, clicks "on" and "off" smoothly, and just plain looks cool (almost lime green case with black grip and clip and silver accents).

One last thing about pens: whenever someone uses a pen of mine and comments on how nice it is, what am I suppose to say? Usually it's, "Thank you, but I'm not sure if I can really take credit for that." I find this situation awkward because no real set of guidelines for pen talk etiquette have been established.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

I'd use dark green or turquoise or black. Years of school caused me to hate blue ink irrationally :evil:
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

I usually write in black or blue, as those are the pens that are usually around, and I'm not very organised.
But I really like writing in green. For my first year at (sixth form) college I consistently wrote everything in green, because I had a green pen I loved, and I still like writing in green. The only problem with writing in green all the time was that everything was recognisably written by me, even 'anonymous' constructive criticism of teachers.
The description that goes with green doesn't particularly describe me, though.
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Ansible

Postby Ansible » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

I only have black pens around, but I tend to like dark blue ink better.

For super secret messages, invisible pink is my color of choice.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

Mostly dark blue though black when this isn't available. Regarding the qualities: it's a pen, I'm using blue/black because it's more widely available, easily readable and likely cheaper than other colours. That is all.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Black, because when I'm writing something by hand it's damned fucking important.

Though this color psychology thing may also explain the sudden rash of smacktards using bold dark blue fonts in their fucking emails.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Tend to use black, or a dark green, dark red when available. Black just because it's simple. the darker green and reds usually just on AIM because I like the way they look...
don't plow that beautiful field!

hipp5

Postby hipp5 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

I'm sorry, unless you have some specific purpose (marking, artistic merit) for writing in a colour other than black or blue, you are a twat.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

Black, because as someone else said earlier, if I am writing by hand, it's for something important, like a letter to my representative in a legislature, for work, or for school. I don't know any case where it'd be useful for me to send a friendly letter. I don't think it makes me "conservative" or "traditional" to prefer black or dark blue. I'm even for annihilating the penny.

Red is for editing, grading, or complaints (if you're an octogenarian that writes formal letters to cracker companies criticizing their products). You draw a giant frowning face by the parts that make you want to vomit. I had a teacher justify grading in a purple pen because it's supposed to be the most soothing color for that usage.

Also, here's some yellow font to express my soul through the medium of making your eyes bleed.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

If I had a black pen, I'd use it all the time. I only have a red pen. It's all right. Blue ink is meh.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

Lumpy wrote:Black, because as someone else said earlier, if I am writing by hand, it's for something important, like a letter to my representative in a legislature, for work, or for school. I don't know any case where it'd be useful for me to send a friendly letter. I don't think it makes me "conservative" or "traditional" to prefer black or dark blue. I'm even for annihilating the penny.

Red is for editing, grading, or complaints (if you're an octogenarian that writes formal letters to cracker companies criticizing their products). You draw a giant frowning face by the parts that make you want to vomit. I had a teacher justify grading in a purple pen because it's supposed to be the most soothing color for that usage.

Also, here's some yellow font to express my soul through the medium of making your eyes bleed.

You basically wrote my post for me. Same with teacher, same with formality, same with penny, same with showing off how horrible yellow pen is.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Dark blue or green. I graded papers in high school, and the occasional blue-ink break from black-on-white made my eyes happy. Since then, I'm a little obsessive about blue ink, in case my graders feel the same way.
I like green ink for my own purposes, but would never ever submit something in green.
My handy-dandy red pen is correcting/critiquing and only that. My red sharpie is for correcting grammar mistakes I encounter on signs/poster in town.

Of course, pencil pwns all.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:24 am UTC

I prefer dark blue over black because it tends to a little easier on they eyes than black. Red is only for corrections/proofreading, and most other colors make my eyes bleed.

doc leech

Postby doc leech » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:52 am UTC

Black because it seems the standard and "I'm not popular enough to be different"... I shudder to think of the state of the office if purple pens were to be deemed found acceptable. Chaos!

Real reason: generally black because paper is generally white.
Float like a float-bot, sting like an automatic stinging machine

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:37 am UTC

I usually use a pencil :shock:
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:43 am UTC

I picked black and dark blue simply because they are the easiest to see.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:07 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:One last thing about pens: whenever someone uses a pen of mine and comments on how nice it is, what am I suppose to say? Usually it's, "Thank you, but I'm not sure if I can really take credit for that." I find this situation awkward because no real set of guidelines for pen talk etiquette have been established.
I tend to say something along the lines of "Yeah, I like it too" or some other random comment. That, or try to sell it to them for an obscene price.
liza wrote:Of course, pencil crayon pwns all.
Fixed.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:19 am UTC

Black because i only have 9 identical pens, all of which are black. I have no -real- preference for black ink, but I do like those pens.

Lord Miscellaneous

Postby Lord Miscellaneous » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:42 am UTC

I voted for black, for similar reasons to that mentioned in the OP, such as clarity and formality. Really I'd just as easily write in a dark blue, but my favourite method of writing at the moment is in a felt tip, and so far the only colour I've found them in is black by coincidence.

la_negra

Postby la_negra » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

Black. The writing in black looks very clear and when you photocopy text written in black, you can only hardly recognize the copy and the original. In the high school I was the only one who used black pen (the rest used blue), and for me it was a kind of "rebellion", I always had to be different in some way. And my father also prefers black.
From city to city, from dawn to dawn and the whole generation is on the run. Goodbye to the past, hello to the future, as the struggle continues, there's no fate... http://www.la-negra.ic.cz

anyone

Postby anyone » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:01 am UTC

I write in dark purple for informal things, and black for everything else. Unless it involves math, in which case I go with my trusty cheap plastic 0.7mm pencil.

Purple is the new blue. You heard it from me first.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:14 am UTC

I have some sad news. At approximately 5:35 pm on July 7, 2008, the greatest pen I have ever owned (mentioned in my last post) ran out of ink.

It was so young, yet so ambitious. :cry:
多么现在棕色母牛?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:02 am UTC

These predictions are about as accurate as horoscopes. That is to say they are general enough that most people can see how it applies to them, at least a little bit. That is to say, horse shit.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

kriel

Postby kriel » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:50 am UTC

... I notice that nobody's picked yellow yet.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:01 pm UTC

good.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

I prefer black for clarity. None of that silly "power! formality!" crap. It's just easier to see and is most likely to contrast well with the background.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

Black or purple for me, with red if I'm correcting something.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Return to “General”