The Job Thread!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kjartan

Re: The Job Thread!

Postby Kjartan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:07 pm UTC

I'm a programmer for a large-ish (for Iceland anyway) IT Company. Building custom solutions, mostly integrating and communicating between different systems, and customizing Microsoft solutions is what I do.

It's a good job, pay's good, it's rather close to my apartment and I can spend quite some time online, not doing much work - like I'm doing now! I'm also quite good at my job, so I'm happy.

it's particularly fun that my business card now says "Microsoft Solutions Expert" when not so many years ago I wouldn't be caught dead running Windows on my machine(OK, maybe not that bad).
My old signature was old, so here is my new one. It is new.

Øsse

Postby Øsse » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

I'm a student between my 2nd and 3rd year of my 5-years Master of Engineering thingy. For the holiday I have the same job as I had last years which is substitute "staff coordinator" for a fairly large company (on a Norwegian scale) which is hired to do scaffolding, insulation, fireproofing, decommisioning, stuff like that on oil rigs, refineries, power plants etc. As "staff coordinator" I basically buy tickets for people. People are from all over the counrty and elsewhere and they need plane tickes, bus tickes, accomodation and what-not wherever they are working at the time. Occasionly I have to do some archiving and registering of sertificates and stuff in the personell database thingy, which uses a horrible front-end application. It pays very well for a summer job and I work standard office hours, and I'm content. Looks like I'll have a little less actual holiday this summer than I was going for, but it's ok.

Next summer I'm planning on getting a summer job more relevant to my education, and I hope kiss the asses of some of the engineers working here. By the way, the company also engages a bit in product development (espescially decomissioning and insulation) and as such has a steadily growing engineering department. That is where I wanna be next summer. The actual work can be anything, as long as I'm in engineering and not general administration.

Grave

Postby Grave » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:07 pm UTC

I just graduated high school and will be going to college next year... My "job" is technically a summer internship, but I get paid fairly well, so I'm not complaining. The job itself is doing Autodesk drawings for a US Navy research facility of their equipment and experimental setup. It's close by, the pay is good, and I get to work with cool people with the letters PhD after their name. What more can anyone ask for a summer job?

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:18 pm UTC

I'm coming close to the end of a year-long pre-university work experience industrial placement thing with a civil engineering consultancy. Similary concept to vqcg but in a real job. Been here since September, and I finish next week. £14.6k salary, which is pretty nice funding for uni. Been doing a mix of M$Office and AutoCAD work on various projects that are too company-confidential to reveal.

Too much time recently though I've had f***-all to do so I sit at my desk looking vaguely occupied, read and post on these fora, play Minesweeper or do the Times Sudoku.

It's a hard life I suppose. Hopefully I'll get more out of it when I come back as a grad in 4yrs, with my shiny MEng (Cantab) BA (Hons) suffices.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

I presently work for a company which designs and builds the machines that make cans (coke/beer etc).

If you look at the side of a coke can where the recycle symbol is (the man dropping paper into a bin) then look about 8mm to the right, if there is a small white crown there that means one of our machines made that can. The crown is the symbol of the people who own us.

Spoiler:
I work in the purchasing deptartment dealing with our sub-contractors. My job has changed since I started here, as the original department manager retired (after 45 years here, the only company he'd ever worked for) so we have a new one who rearranged things a little bit.
I have a few general jobs (inputting acknowledgements, making orders, sending out modified drawing, cencelling the occasional order etc) but I originally used to get quotes for the orders from our engineering sub-contractors and give them to my managers.

I was then asked to make and update a list of all the parts we had waiting to send out, as well as a list of the quotes that we had (mainly because they couldn't think of anything else for me to do when I finished the other jobs). In a moment of cunning I deceided to knock up a report for my manager comparing the parts waiting to be sent out to the existing quotes we had for these parts - instead of just sending out for new quotes each time. They hadn't actually thought of doing this before.

My job then was basically maintaining and comparing the two lists for my manager to deceide what parts he wanted to send out that day then I made the orders. It earned me some real brownie points after I came up with a system that did a few days work in an hour in my first couple of weeks.

When the new manager came in he automated what I did with the lists (and the guy who sits opposite me spends most of his day making orders). Now I send weekly lists out to our main suppliers telling them what parts we have ordered with them, what parts are priority and finding out when they will be delivered.
This sucks since it usually means that I'm chasing the same parts week after week which pisses some of the suppliers off no end when I ask them to check the same thing again and again.
Our major supplier just flat out refused to even look at the list last week due to the work involved with these lists. Sorting out these lists generally involves finnding our orders, looking at what job number he has them down as, chasing that job up and then if it is delivered finding out the delivery number. Then he's got to fill out the sheet with this stuff. He isn't the first to do this. So today I spent 4 hours going through every acknowledgement we've had back from them (this is about a thouand sheets of paper, in no particular order, with about 8-10,000 parts ordered) getting their job numbers for each of the parts on my list to save him doing it.

I'm gonna stop here. I could rant for hours about this severely underpaid shit, Christ I didn't even strat bitching about MRP dates yet. Fucking MRP dates! I'd leave but I'll be starting an apprenticeship in september so it isn't worth getting another job.

Ah well at least I usually get a few hours of internet time in a day.

Edit: Spoilered down after I saw how much I wrote!
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

kcr

Postby kcr » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:58 am UTC

I have my first real job this summer.. (after two summers of unpaid "jobs" which were varying levels of ok/lame). I'm working at a museum, and so far, I love it. The only bad part is that scheduling is difficult. Otherwise, it's pretty fun work although sometimes deathly boring, the other people who work there are nice and fun and intelligent, great for one of my favorite activities -- people watching.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:14 am UTC

I work tech support for Iowa Network Services. It's basically a company comprised of hundreds of telephone companies across the midwest with some tie-ins with Qwest (Qwest calls are the bane of my existence and can easily be up to 2 hours long.) We deal with practically every internet based utility you can think of including dial up, cable, dsl, web hosting, VOIP, video, and email. It sounds like great variety but most calls either entail resetting all equipment and sending the customer somewhere else if that doesn't work or helping old people use their email. It's a pretty good job considering the pay and by working the night shift I don't take many calls, though this week has been hell for some reason.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:20 am UTC

I work as a waiter at an awesome lodge in Alaska, with 460 rooms and 3.5 restaurants and two bars. It's in the middle of nowhere, there are no cool geek type people here, but it's the best job I ever had. I like being a waiter - I talk to interesting people on vacation all day, it's an incredibly well run restaurant that is a ton fun to work at - with such highlights such as sexual harrassment sundays. It's only a seasonal gig (may 7th to sept 20th) but it pays about 25-30$ an hour, and my entire living expenses add up to about 550$ a month - for rent, food, phone, everything.

After this I'll work at a ski resort this winter, don't know where yet - tons of ski resorts recruit people from here, it's really too early to start working.

TL;DR:
Make bank at destination resorts in cool places, with two months off/4 months on.
Lurker Extraordinaire

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:21 am UTC

You're going to have to explain Sexual Harassment Sundays to us. That sounds priceless!
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

John O)))

Postby John O))) » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:26 am UTC

I too am intrigued by Sexual Harassment Sunday. I might have to integrate that into where I work.

Speaking of which...

I'm a barista at a local coffee shop. Basically, I just sit around and make various concoctions from a large assortment of syrups. Most of the time I end up harassing all the hipster kids that come in and pretend to be doing something important on our WiFi.

Its a pretty fun job, even though it doesn't pay much. The best part about it is probably the large amount of women that end up coming in and hitting on me. I know they're just trying to get free stuff or at least a discount, but its still fun.

telkanuru

Postby telkanuru » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:36 am UTC

I work at a grocery store doing a variety of tasks, as a way of convincing myself to return to school and finish my degree.

Did you know someone returned Trader Joe's High Fiber Joe's Os because they had, and I quote, "Too much fiber"?

Customer service is hell.

Edit- Are sexual harassment Sundays like Misogynist Thursdays? http://machall.com/view.php?date=2003-03-10
Life in a box is better than no life at all, I expect. You'd have a chance, at least. You could lie there thinking, "Well. At least I'm not dead."
-R&G are Dead

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Oh my... This one thread surely makes me feel stupid and insignificant.
That is, compared to poor fellas skinning fish for 12 hours straight and getting a horrible rash because their employer is too greedy to install adequate air cleaning system, I am doing very, very well. Sitting in a warm, clean and lit office and just typing on PC keyboard, or occasionally writing on paper or whiteboard or speaking on the phone or going somewhere to clients' sites... Yep, software development is quite elite. On the other hand,... is Visual FoxPro something to be ashamed of? (Yes, I know that noone actually follows my history, but I was absent from XKCD for quite some time - that was the pause between jobs after leaving old one... Anyway I shall leave past alone... Now I came to VFP from .Net C# and ASP and all new cool thingies and buzzword technologies). Perhaps a code monkey is an adequate description? Anyway, my present coworkers know even far less about OO, SD Life Cycle, even encodings (g-r-r... why do they always ask ME: "What's that gibberish? Font missing? HALP MEAH!"), not mentioning regexps, pointers, diagrams, testing, byte-bit manipulation, OSes and networks, and... they... use... copy-paste code reuse and call it 'methodology'!
The funny part - pay is TWICE higher here, than at the previous place where I was exhausted and stressed continuously.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Right now, I'm updating the change management and deviation database.

It is God's punishment for a sinful world.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

There is one guy at work I have decided is the bane of my existence... every bug I have had to fix so far has been his doing. And he's the 'expert' contractor on this stuff.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:There is one guy at work I have decided is the bane of my existence... every bug I have had to fix so far has been his doing. And he's the 'expert' contractor on this stuff.

Maybe he's your arch-nemesis. I bet he has a lair.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:47 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:There is one guy at work I have decided is the bane of my existence... every bug I have had to fix so far has been his doing. And he's the 'expert' contractor on this stuff.

Maybe he's your arch-nemesis. I bet he has a lair.

i think so.

update: the change he had which was supposed to fix the problems I uncovered when I fixed the last set of things he broke, actually makes things worse. I had to go make sure it doesn't get integrated, and spend tomorrow re-implementing part of what he just did, but couldn't get right.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:42 am UTC

I work doing QA (quality assurance) for the IT department of a medium sized bank (~6.5 bill assets). My last job was at Wendy's so I'm pretty happy about this one. The pay's good but not great. It tend to be busy, but not overworked (i.e. I can go home at 5:30 but not watch you tube). It's a little mundane sometimes as I bascially check for bugs or write scripts that do (FYI scripts in java != javascript). However since I don't actually have to fix them it's okay.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Night auditor at a hotel. This is usually our off season, so I usually spend most of my free time reading or trolling internet forums. I work 0000-0800 Monday through Friday right now, though we're supposedly going to hire another full time night auditor soon, at which point I'll probably go back to my previous 2200-0800 Monday through Thursday, or something similar.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:59 am UTC

I'm currently a student, with a stipend of approximately $3.000. Whoo~ Second year now, which means I'll probably have to go some additional courses next year if I want a university degree. Well, I'm studying electronics now. For the time being we're looking into GPS systems and VoIP. For now, I'm unsure of what to do, although I want to take a university degree in either robotics or programming. Lately I've been looking into space science, after I realized I may have good enough grades for it.

Occasionally I cut some grass, and I've got a deal with someone to whom I teach math.

What I want to work with is programming, robotics - or generally electronics. If I decide to apply for the space science course, it may be something else-ish.

ninjacore

Postby ninjacore » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:07 am UTC

That's cool Nemphael, robotics have always interested me a lot too.

Right now I'm just free-lancing it. I do mainly web developing.

At the moment I'm finishing up a fairly big database run website for a small business and should be starting another website tomorrow.
I still haven't gotten a business license but am going to get one soon. (Hopefully I can get the taxes right on my own :| )

I'm living my dream in a way because I can work on my own time and at home etc.

I do a lot of flash, photoshop and illustrator work for people also and really anything anyone will pay me to do. It's all local work and family/friends stuff I do but I have big plans.

Right now it's just me doing all the work but once I get an actual business going I'm going to hire a friend that's unemployed.

Wars are inherently exercises in unleashing and restraining chaos. The clash of opposing sides unleashes primal passions, which can only be controlled through enormous effort.

cygnus

Postby cygnus » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:08 am UTC

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:07 pm UTC

I'm an IT Technician turned web developer with some software development on the side. I work in a school that used to be pretty good when I went here some years ago (6 or so I think, more important things have filled my mind than memories of school) but now it's gone down hill alot. They pay me though which is the main thing and I spend almost all day on the internet with odd jobs here and there to do.

Natael

Postby Natael » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

Programmer in the Air Force. I'm happy with the pay, and I'm learning a lot, which is nice because I have no prior experience. Location kinda sucks though (dead center of Alabama), but the Asian food is pretty good here, so I'm not going to complain too much unless you mention sweet tea or putting gravy on rice (WTF, mate?). A good enough number of geeky types on base, so I'm sustained with that.

BigBoss

Postby BigBoss » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

I wash dishes at a small restaraunt. Sometimes I deliver food, help prep/cook, or do whatever else is needed.
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

Tampons could be used to stop a nosebleed! - Tillian

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:19 am UTC

I work in a pharmacy as the shop girl. Basically it's stocking shelves, helping people, answering questions I know the answer to, asking the pharmacist about the questions I don't, serving people, taking scripts off them to give to the pharmacist, running errands, putting up with junkies, receiving marriage proposals.

I don't like my job so much.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:25 am UTC

Physicist. If you have any quantum fields in curved space you would like to see renormalized, I am your man. Quantum fields in flat space or classical fields in curved space at no extra charge!
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Heres2uMrsRobinson

Postby Heres2uMrsRobinson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:01 am UTC

I work at Toys R Us. I am on the truck/merchandising crew. It is pretty fun, very laid back. Retail hours are bad right now . I am looking for a second job...then again I am seriously considering going back to school for something in the IT field. Not as grand or interesting as the rest of you it seems. =)
•·.°☆Sarah☆°.·•

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:31 am UTC

I'm currently doing an industry cadetship with Note Printing Australia, as in where they print the bank notes (don't ask for any, you'd be about the 15th person who has).
I stick bank notes into ovens and find out how long it takes them to fall apart (Aus has all plastic notes) and what components cause the failure.
One more week then I'm on to my research project with Rio Tinto, then I'm back to uni and looking for part time work *sigh* I killed my summer this year.
ImageImageImageImageImage

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:07 am UTC

Heres2uMrsRobinson wrote:I work at Toys R Us. I am on the truck/merchandising crew. It is pretty fun, very laid back. Retail hours are bad right now . I am looking for a second job...then again I am seriously considering going back to school for something in the IT field. Not as grand or interesting as the rest of you it seems. =)

Oooh, do you get bonus toys? Do you get to be a Toys R Us Kid?
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Heres2uMrsRobinson

Postby Heres2uMrsRobinson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:32 am UTC

haha no but if candy doesn't sell or gets broken open on shipment we get to eat it...we don't play with the toys as you would suspect. It is fun working in a toy store though, you kinda relive your childhood toys if that makes sense...some of the stuff is still pretty cool. I've been told you get "baby fever" when working there. (makes you wanna have kids so you can buy them toys that you will probably play with too)
•·.°☆Sarah☆°.·•

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:28 am UTC

I'm a laboratory tech in the chem/bio lab at a very new and very large pork processing plant*. My degree is Aviation Management, but that's useless these days. I graduated in May of 2001, a mere four months before the US airline business disappeared into several smoking holes into the ground. I had been putting myself through university by working nights in the lab at a tool cabinet factory**, so I've been working where my experience is instead of in my chosen field.

I've had worse gigs. I've got access to the whole plant, and if I get the wild urge to conduct a scientific study that somehow involves bacteria, pigs, or bacteria and pigs, all the tools I need are close at hand.

* Slaughterhouse.
** Both science and art are necessary for the skillful phosphate pre-treatment of steel and anodic electrodeposition of paint. Who knew?
Caffeine, hormones, and a thirst for vengeance.

Steve

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:41 am UTC

I work on space systems for a large defense contractor. Cool work, good pay although most of the people I liked at the job suddenly up and left within the past month. Overall I would rate it a B, the D.C. area can be a pain at times though.

Job #2 is coaching high school diving. They pay sucks but its a ton of fun!
John Hancock

causalfault

Postby causalfault » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

i'm a department manager/sales associate at guitar center here in terre haute. it's a pretty cool job, i get to hang out and talk about music and guitars all day. we're paid on commission, so the pay is basically what we put into it effort-wise. the department manager side of it isn't too bad, i make sure that the guitar department is neat and tidy, that everything is easily accessible and merchandised in a way that makes sense, that all the amps are able to be demoed when someone wants to try them out, and that all the guitars are clean/have good strings/are tuned. i've also sort of had to become the go-to guy for minor repairs/setups on guitars. it's kind of cool to be able to tell people that i'm "the guitar guy" at guitar center.

it sounds like a lot of busy-work, but i have minions.
can i be buried here among the dead,
with room to honor me here in the end?

sninctown

Postby sninctown » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

I work for a big defense contractor that builds military trucks. The pay is good, but the commute, coworkers, and work itself are sort of sucky. I'm quickly losing what interest I had in truck suspension, but at least I have a job. Much of the work I do is either to meet government quality-assurance requirements, or is design work that is later discarded due to project cancellations.

My advice: Do not work for the government, or for companies that make things for the government. At least, don't do it if you mind stupid, pointless, inflexible bureacracy.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

My job is only in the summer unfortunately, and around here there are no available jobs for winter.

I work at the Bar Harbor Whale Watch, selling tickets either at the front counter or over the phone. I LOVE this job. I love being around people all day and my coworkers are amazing, plus I get free boat rides. We get tourists from all over and most of them are pretty nice, except the August People.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

I'm currently a Raft Guide, which consists of guiding previously unseen clients down a river I know inside out, and hoping that the clients are able to stay in the raft (this is genuinely too much physical exhaustion for a significant portion of them), and then fishing the ones that don't out of the water.

I've done simmilar outdoorsy stuff before for a living, and whilst that was acceptable, the rafting is a quality gig.

I miss working in the Sawmill back home, as the comunity spirit in a workplace like that is great.

I was also a Lab Tech in an engineering laboratory, which was allright, but with my A-level in chemistry I was the most qualified person in the lab, (I ran the chemical tests room, which was nicer, and gave me access to the furnace (intended of LOMOI tests) which allowed you to cook a frozen pizza in 10-20 seconds.)
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Coffee Sex Pancake

Postby Coffee Sex Pancake » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

I'm a chemist, currently making microchips.

I spent a couple of years as a professional Dominant, but that became a little too soul-crushing. Met a lot of great people (including my tango partner) though.

I was a violist, that's probably my favorite job, but there's just not enough money in it.

Four months a year I sell custom blades. Managed a rock band. Did some R&D work for a distillery. Austin's a great town.
"It’s just part of the miraculous nature of life that whatever the problem is, sex can be the solution… even when the problem is also sex." - Amaranth, Tales of MU

Ambelie

Postby Ambelie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

I work for the government and I'm here to help.

:)

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:10 am UTC

Freelance computer technician, which is a fancy way of saying "basically unemployed". Pay per hour is pretty good, though the hours are usually just enough to live, and may end up being on either side of that line. I'd really like to get a job where I've got a boss to take care of the paperwork and a steadier paycheck, but in the last few months I've basically given up hope. I know, recession, finding work's hard for everyone, and I don't look good on paper. I just need someone to be willing to take a chance on me. (I'm totally welcoming PMs from people who might be willing and able to help.)
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:02 pm UTC

Meowgan wrote:I work in a pharmacy as the shop girl. ......putting up with junkies, receiving marriage proposals.

I don't like my job so much.

Well at least you have a comma between those two.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Return to “General”