Fitness freaks vs. other obsessions

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kovan

Fitness freaks vs. other obsessions

Postby kovan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

Something I've really noticed lately is that people I know who have gotten on the whole fitness thing have gotten really, really annoying. All they ever talk about is their fitness regiment or when they're going to be training next or what they're doing in their training, as if I care. People with other obsessions, like cars or computers or comic books or whatever seem to be able to carry a conversation without it going back to their particular poison....fitness people always seems to throw in shit about their training though, what's with that?

(note: I'm not fat or terribly out of shape, so it's not that they're trying to drop hints)

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Re: Fitness freaks vs. other obsessions

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:16 am UTC

Cyclists. MY GOD. They're everywhere at my workplace and, while some of them seem to have a life outside of it, others simply will not shut up about it. I don't care how many thousands of dollars you spent on your seat, it won't help you when I knock you off it because you're riding three abreast on a single lane road and don't indicate when you turn.

That said, I don't think people who are similarly obsessed about "geekier" pursuits are any less quiet about it, to be honest. It depends largely on the person.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:48 am UTC

kovan wrote:fitness regiment

Members of the 737th Fitness Regiment are a highly trained and elite set of people. It's only understandable that they would be proud of their accomplishments and want everyone to be aware of them.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:57 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:Cyclists. MY GOD. They're everywhere at my workplace and, while some of them seem to have a life outside of it, others simply will not shut up about it. I don't care how many thousands of dollars you spent on your seat, it won't help you when I knock you off it because you're riding three abreast on a single lane road and don't indicate when you turn.

That said, I don't think people who are similarly obsessed about "geekier" pursuits are any less quiet about it, to be honest. It depends largely on the person.

Cyclists are incredibly full of themselves. I rarely drive, but I can't stand these bikes on the road. Honestly, the sign says 50km if you can go that fast, get off the road. I really don't care how spiffy you look on your special bike wearing your stupid skintight suit, you are not a car. At what point in time did these people decided that they can upgrade from sidewalk to road.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

kcr

Postby kcr » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:02 am UTC

Freakish wrote:At what point in time did these people decided that they can upgrade from sidewalk to road.

At least where I live, they're not allowed to bike on the sidewalk. But I agree, it can get dangerous. Weaving around stopped cars at a red light and then biking through said red light is not any safer if you're on a bike than in a car. :roll:

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:05 am UTC

kcr wrote:
Freakish wrote:At what point in time did these people decided that they can upgrade from sidewalk to road.

At least where I live, they're not allowed to bike on the sidewalk. But I agree, it can get dangerous. Weaving around stopped cars at a red light and then biking through said red light is not any safer if you're on a bike than in a car. :roll:

It's safer for the other guy.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:50 am UTC

Like kcr said, it's illegal for anyone over the age of 16 (at least where I live) to be riding their bike on the sidewalk. Bicycles are vehicles just like motor vehicles; all the same motor vehicle rules apply to bikes. Bikes should be utilizing the first 1 meter (3 feet) of usable road (i.e. the first bit of road that isn't littered with gravel/potholes), and should never be riding 2 or 3 abreast.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:52 am UTC

The same rule applies here, where cyclists are required to ride on the road instead of the footpath. It is still incredibly dangerous, though. I wholeheartedly support dedicated bike lanes and paths, because I support cycling as an alternative method of transportation, I just think it's stupid to treat them as equal to powered vehicles on the road, because they very clearly are not.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:57 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:I just think it's stupid to treat them as equal to powered vehicles on the road, because they very clearly are not.

Why do you say that? Is it really so difficult to change lanes for 2-5 seconds and switch back when you safely pass the cyclist? A cyclist obviously has no place on the freeway/highway, where the speed limit is greater than 65 kph (40 mph), but even then, respect should be given to the cyclist and a safe pass can and should be made.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:27 am UTC

Which is fine in light traffic. In heavy traffic, they effectively condense a three lane road into two lanes with no warning, which is dangerous. I think a large part of it is that absolutely no training is required to ride a bike on the road, so many people have no idea of road rules or courtesies when riding. I'd like to see bike licencing, but I'd also like to see it made free, so I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. :P

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:32 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:I think a large part of it is that absolutely no training is required to ride a bike on the road, so many people have no idea of road rules or courtesies when riding. I'd like to see bike licencing, but I'd also like to see it made free, so I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. :P

This I agree with. I wouldn't mind seeing cyclists have to take the basic learner's license road test (i.e. road signs, turning signals, right-of-way, etc.) before being able to ride their bicycle on the road.

kovan

Postby kovan » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:07 pm UTC

Around here you have to ride your bike on the road. That said, bikes move faster than traffic around here too. I think cyclists need a driver's license though. Perhaps not a full automotive license but some class of light vehicle license or something

Frello

Postby Frello » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:Cyclists. MY GOD. They're everywhere at my workplace and, while some of them seem to have a life outside of it, others simply will not shut up about it. I don't care how many thousands of dollars you spent on your seat, it won't help you when I knock you off it because you're riding three abreast on a single lane road and don't indicate when you turn.
As far as I can understand from this and other posts, cycling is very uncommon where you com efrom (though I kinda knew). In Denmark, cycling is very common. You'll find bike lanes nearly everywhere in a city, and there is no "holier-than-thou"-aura around cyclists. In Amsterdam it's even more extreme. Bikes are prioritized a lot higher than cars, and according to Wikipedia, 100000 bikes get stolen every year.
(And I'm aware that you were perhaps mostly talking about those considering it a hobby of theirs.)

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:The same rule applies here, where cyclists are required to ride on the road instead of the footpath. It is still incredibly dangerous, though. I wholeheartedly support dedicated bike lanes and paths, because I support cycling as an alternative method of transportation, I just think it's stupid to treat them as equal to powered vehicles on the road, because they very clearly are not.

Dangerous mostly because of drivers. I guess biking on the road is never really safe, but it's mostly the drivers who suck, not the cyclers.

Back to topic, I guess sometimes I'm like that too. After a good result at a bouldering comp, I told everybody. I was pretty psyched. I get pretty psyched if I manage to make it through a particular workout too. But I don't think I always talk about it. But when I do, I think I'm justified. I just did something incredibly hard! As if I'm not going to tell everyone. I am like that with my coffee as well. Sometimes I'm really happy with that shot I pulled for breakfast and tell everybody.

I guess I don't mind so much. If you are really passionate about your hobbies, you're going to talk about them.

kovan

Postby kovan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:40 am UTC

recurve boy wrote:
Hawknc wrote:The same rule applies here, where cyclists are required to ride on the road instead of the footpath. It is still incredibly dangerous, though. I wholeheartedly support dedicated bike lanes and paths, because I support cycling as an alternative method of transportation, I just think it's stupid to treat them as equal to powered vehicles on the road, because they very clearly are not.

Dangerous mostly because of drivers. I guess biking on the road is never really safe, but it's mostly the drivers who suck, not the cyclers.

Haha what? I'm sorry but cyclists around here seem to think they're both pedestrians and vehicles, not that I'm disagreeing that most drivers suck. Cyclists, though, don't follow traffic laws, and they hit and spit at cars when they think the drivers are in the wrong. I've been sitting at a red light and had some asshole cyclist come along and slap my car, as if I'm supposed to move. Just last week I had some bitch yell at me because I went through an intersection where I had the right of way. There was really no question about it because there was no stop sign in my direction; it was a through road in my direction (I had to stop so the guy in front of me could make a left hand turn, then I proceeded and the bitch yelled at me)

I like the idea of cycling, I just don't like the way that cyclists apparently don't have to answer for anything they do. Cyclists need to remember that my 3,800 pounds of steel isn't as nimble as their 30 pound smug-mobile and they're gonna get hurt a lot worse than me.

This is my opinion on the issue: If they don't want to obey traffic laws, use the sidewalk. If they don't want to use the sidewalk, obey the goddamn traffic laws.

If you don't know the traffic laws, get off your bike and take the bus.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:33 am UTC

Freakish wrote:Cyclists are incredibly full of themselves. I rarely drive, but I can't stand these bikes on the road. Honestly, the sign says 50km if you can go that fast, get off the road. I really don't care how spiffy you look on your special bike wearing your stupid skintight suit, you are not a car. At what point in time did these people decided that they can upgrade from sidewalk to road.

When it became illegal to bike on the sidewalk.

Have you guys ever actually tried cycling on the road? Even when you have your own lane, there's jerkoffs in cars (or worse, trucks!) intentionally trying to "accidentally bump" you.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

Pandercolour wrote:
Freakish wrote:Cyclists are incredibly full of themselves. I rarely drive, but I can't stand these bikes on the road. Honestly, the sign says 50km if you can go that fast, get off the road. I really don't care how spiffy you look on your special bike wearing your stupid skintight suit, you are not a car. At what point in time did these people decided that they can upgrade from sidewalk to road.

When it became illegal to bike on the sidewalk.

Have you guys ever actually tried cycling on the road? Even when you have your own lane, there's jerkoffs in cars (or worse, trucks!) intentionally trying to "accidentally bump" you.

Or the ones that honk their horns at you.

I get the distinct feeling that very few people have ever cycled on roads. I consider it to be one of the most terrifying things it possible for a person to do - you have literally zero protection from the thousands of tonnes of steel flying past you, you're mentally & physically exhausted most of the time and the littlist thing can knock you off your bike and into moving traffic (unseen pothole, riding over a stone, clipping a wing mirror with your handle bars). Although I will agree there are some serious bell-end cyclists about.

The other problem is that road laws can't work for cycles. There is too much stopping and starting for one thing. If you think how often you come to a full stop (handbrake up) at junctions etc, a cyclist really can't do that. Imagine if you had to power your car Flintstones style for a day, or if you had to make a dozen gear changes to get up to 20mph in you car.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

ishikiri wrote:The other problem is that road laws can't work for cycles. There is too much stopping and starting for one thing. If you think how often you come to a full stop (handbrake up) at junctions etc, a cyclist really can't do that.

Are you trying to say that you can't be bothered to stop at a stop sign or at a red light? I'm genuinely confused here.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:
ishikiri wrote:The other problem is that road laws can't work for cycles. There is too much stopping and starting for one thing. If you think how often you come to a full stop (handbrake up) at junctions etc, a cyclist really can't do that.

Are you trying to say that you can't be bothered to stop at a stop sign or at a red light? I'm genuinely confused here.

Can and do on the rare occasion that I ride on roads. I plan my routes to avoid roads as much as possible.

What I'm trying to say is that handling a bike isn't like handling in a car. When you want to start moving in a car you just apply pressure with your foot and you're moving again - to start a bike from stationary takes the full effort of your entire body, multiple gear changes.

This is one of the reasons why Rules for cars just can't work for bikes (see below for energy expended whilst riding). Another is that bikes just don't go as quickly as cars so theres a disbalance on the roads.

There needs to be a new system that deals with the difficulties of riding a bike whilst allowing cars to get from A to B the way they're used to. Cycle lanes are part of this.

Heres a quick guide of how many calories you burn depending whilst cycling depending on your body weight.
As you can see If you're riding for two hours at 20 miles an hour and weigh 180lbs (what Dr.Cox weighs for example) then you'll use up more calories than an adult male should take in per day (2832 calories worked off in 2 hours, 2500 calories recomended allowance).

I'm very tired I'll argue this further tomorrow when I'm not falling asleep. Really just get on a bike and see whats its like out there.

Just a point about the original topic:
The OPs problem with "Fitness Freaks" seems to stem from the old thing of jocks vs nerds - Where Jocks forego the bettering of the mind in favour of the body and Nerds forego the body to better the mind. . . or play D & D and watch Star-Trek. The comments seem to have a deffinate tone of disaproval about fitness but acceptance of geeky obccessions (how many Browncoats do we have here?)

Just to give some balance I am rapidly becoming a fitness freak and you do see things differently once you get fitter and more toned - For example if I see someone with a bad back I know they need should probably go work out their obliques, to give some muscular support to the base of the spine, and want to go tell them what exercises to do this to help them. Is this better or worse than Grammar Nazism?
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:03 am UTC

*cough*
DERAIL
*cough*

Thread rename, or split from OP?
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:06 am UTC

I can't do certain things unless its to an extreme. This is why i prefer to enjoy food rather than enjoy a healthy body, because food is universal.

Also because dedication is hard. fucking. work.

im jobless now though. maybe i should do some sit-ups or something...
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 am UTC

ishikiri wrote:Really just get on a bike and see whats its like out there.

I resent that remark. I don't understand why you think I don't regularly ride my bike already. I am one of the few out there that actually rides properly on the roads, obeying all necessary rules and respecting the other fellow drivers out there.

I am well aware of what it takes to ride a bike, both on the road and on bike paths. I don't find it such a great effort to start and stop at stop signs or red lights, and if someone *does*, then I would suggest they find an alternative method of transportation.

Return to “General”