Your world in 10, 20, 40 years

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KevorkianKat

Your world in 10, 20, 40 years

Postby KevorkianKat » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

The world at large is expected to go through some major changes soon, such as transition away from oil for transportation among other things. List the Where, When, Why of what you hope to be doing, accomplishing or living in the next 10, 20 and 40 years. College, kids, you name it. If you can't think that far ahead, feel free to make up your own dystopian future. Here's an example:

10 Years
Where: Adirondack Mountains, NY
When: In 2-5 Years
What/Why: I'm starting a sustainable community to go "all-green". I like mountain air, I like the temperature and I like not living in an oil dependent world. I think this is the best way to show others than living responsibly can be done and educating others on how to do so as well. Have a kid, adopt some others.

20 Years
Where: Same
When: 20 years
What/Why: Kids will be grown by this point, hopefully following in the footsteps and all. Continue to expand reach of the community, maybe at this point have helped others start their own. Make friends with the Amish since I think around this point oil will have become cost prohibitive to say the least. Get some horses, wagons, all that jazz, but keep technology running. I'm not seeking to BE Amish, but I wouldn't mind adopting a few of their more natural farming methods to save gas, especially if it keeps going up, or isn't available at this point.

40 Years
Where: Same
When: 40+ Years
What/Why: I could be doing almost anything at this point. I could be fighting off bands of Mad Max style roaving bands of thieves for all I know. Maybe I'll have expanded enough to connect a good group of communities that live sustainably off each other, much like today's cities except instead of coast to coast reliance, it would be state line to state line. Most of our food currently comes from places like California (especially in the winter) so I'd expect a lot more local commerce in order to stock up or maybe multi-community projects such as massive greenhouses and such.

Account20151023

Re: Your world in 10, 20, 40 years

Postby Account20151023 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

Ten Years:
In a hardcore/thrash metal band. CDs sell around 800k copies. Not quite mainstream.

Twenty Years:
Running a studio, Bear Tracks. Helping produce the next generation of music. At this point, it'll be more avant-garde so as to be actual innovation.

Forty Years:
4 years dead.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

10: Alive - Hopefully with a different job, hopefully with a steady girlfriend, hopefully still roleplaying. Owning property.

20: Alive - Hopefully with the above wife and adopted children. Playing music or writing. Maybe something else. Teaching the nerd/geek ways to my hypothetical children.

40: Alive - Traveling maybe. Investing in new technolgies? Hopefully relativly well off, or at least happy.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

KevorkianKat

Postby KevorkianKat » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:Forty Years:
4 years dead.

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long...or are you old now? ;)

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:45 am UTC

10 Years: Alive, finished college, a degree in physics or something music related, DJing at a local club, EDM is on a radio station, started my own club, and my own record label, I have produced at least 3 tracks, and another some 50 huge mixes, owning a pair of decks and maybe even a studio. By this time I'm not sure if I could get any better with my abilities, but I have started and explored almost every genre of EDM by this time and often have at least the top 100 tracks in all those genres. If I'm lucky I might have enough money to travel and be able to see my friends out of state more often, but otherwise consumed by the music career that's supremely demanding of my time and effort. I'm also working on paying my dad back for everything he has given me.

20 Years: Still alive. I have created the Ultramix, the first ever seamless mix that features all the most influential and ground shaking songs throughout the past 40 years of EDM. It's also the first mix to sample something of everything, it's at least the most interesting and most varied mix ever produced. A nice run through EDM history can be experienced here, and basically is a story telling mix. At this point I have at least 20 major artists under my label that all are well known. Radio stations most through the east and west coast and some parts of the midwest all have radio stations that play something EDM wise. By this time I will have a house of my own, where the basement also functions as private club. Somehow America starts shifting a bit away from mainstream pop and rap and starts to vary its tastes just enough to be noticeable. Starting to mellow out and enjoy life a bit more than worrying too much about music as things are moving on their own.

40 Years: Possible Alive. Given all the places I would have traveled a lot could have happened. Probably AIDs got to me somehow. If not it was the Pedo Bear virus I created that FINALLY infected the usually untouchable Madagascar, because SOMEONE coughed. (Inside Joke). At this point, I still work heavily with music but more so in private as a way to start using it to illustrate my beliefs and use it as a tool to better people in their lives instead of turning to society for answers. It's my last goal to finally get people, some percentage to understand the very many thing I been saying since I was 13. I won't care who says what about my approach to music. My only real fans would know that it's not something to own, it's something to express. In any case, hopefully change one person's life with my work, and maybe they can start something themselves. By this time I have also DJed with all the people I hopes I would have, plus even started my own event. There's not much more room to get higher than this. I may kids, or may not, but I don't mind it either way. I would only settle on kids if I am married at the time, and given how much my career has sucked time away, I'm very unsure if I really met anyone with that much patience. If somehow somewhere something changed, I sure hope they thought it was worth it. After finishing most of my career, travel some more, and start exploring anything left to explore. Finally meet some of the people I been wanting to meet for the past 40 years if I haven't already. Paid my dad back as well. When about 70 years old, start working on dying the way I always hoped I would: Sky dive to my grave.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:56 am UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:If not it was the Pedo Bear virus I created that FINALLY infected the usually untouchable Madagascar, because SOMEONE coughed. (Inside Joke).

Goddamn Madagascar. hee hee hee.

10 Years: In a stable teaching job, ideally directing high school Band/Jazz Band/Marching Band. Also doing a/v work for the school--running sound for musicals and other events. Possibly even working with the broadcasting stuff for the school news program. Working on finishing up my Master's degree in Music Education. Hopefully married, though maybe no kids yet.

20 Years: Still teaching--either high school or college level. Really, not that much different from 10 years before. And I'm fine with that. Kids would be cool.

40 Years: Retired from teaching*, or maybe still an adjunct at a college. Hopefully still playing sax, definitely still singing, probably in some community choir type deal. Or, perhaps directing a community choir/band. Advocating music in schools, using my years and years of wisdom to sway the opinions of greedy school board members. (I'm not sure if I even believe that one). Spending time with my family and trying to not fall behind on technology/life.

*In many school districts, teachers go 30 years then out. Of course, it's possible that that won't be the case, and I'll still be teaching...
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:08 pm UTC

Btw, I maxed out my virus to this...

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

KevorkianKat wrote:
BomanTheBear wrote:Forty Years:
4 years dead.

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long...or are you old now? ;)

Only 21, holmes. I'd rather burn out than fade out (I think Kurt Kobain said that, but he never did anything good whatsoever [/sarcasm]).

poprocks and coke

Postby poprocks and coke » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

10 years
Where: the third world
When: a bit after graduating college (preferably Brown)
why: the peace corps

20 years
Where: Some small town in the Northeast
When: after a few years in the peace corps
Why: teaching high school literature

40 years
Where: same small town as above
When: 40 year's after above
why: still teaching high school literature

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:
Dark Ragnarok wrote:If not it was the Pedo Bear virus I created that FINALLY infected the usually untouchable Madagascar, because SOMEONE coughed. (Inside Joke).

What's this? Apparently Greenland has people with colds? In Greenland? In winter? SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
saxmaniac1987 wrote:

What's this? Apparently Greenland has people with colds? In Greenland? In winter? SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING.

Port's/Pool's Closed due to cough xD

Garreett

Postby Garreett » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

"What's this? There's a virus spreading! SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING."
"But sir - it has no symptoms!"
"DAMNIT JONES, THAT'S AN ORDER!"

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:33 pm UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:
saxmaniac1987 wrote:

Port's/Pool's Closed due to cough xD

liek this?

hestia

Postby hestia » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

Ten Years:
In my legacy teaching position, hopefully 5-12 band in small town Ohio. Just had my first kid, thinking about a second. Owning a house my hubby and I designed on a nice patch of land outside of town. (know precisely where this is but I don't know yet if that will work out :)) Maybe have a garden or something.

Twenty Years:
Same place, kids will be becoming teenagers so I suppose I will have to deal with that. By this point my program should be growing nicely. Maybe get some Ohio Music Education Association awards? That would be cool.

Forty Years:
Hopefully my hubby and I would have saved enough to retire in Porthmadog, Wales or someplace nearby (thats the plan at the moment though it will undoubtedly change as all plans do). I should have some grandkids to spoil by this point so I will be doing that. Maybe teaching private lessons to local kids but maybe not. Depends on how much work I really want to be doing at that point.
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:28 pm UTC

10 years:
2-8 years away, hopefully. In a fairly small venue playing decent(or good) songs that I actually wrote myself, alongside actually getting a well made game mod or game finished that I can be proud of.

20 years:
11-20 years away, Making a nice big impact on the game development and/or music scene. Preferably having a rock concert in Antarctica for the hell of it.

40 years:
Any time past the last 2, in space, with a spaceship. Also, with a pet monkey, rabbit or cat, whichever turns out to like space more. Previously switched to physics and invented some sort of FTL travel (or maybe just efficient travel at close to light speed.)

Plans to do with a girlfriend/family etc. are to be made up as we go along.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

3fj

Postby 3fj » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:41 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
saxmaniac1987 wrote:

taken from /b/ whilst she was still up ;_;. Best evar:
Spoiler:

10:
Out of Scotland. I want to move to Chicago or something like that. Defiantly doing some form of programming (whatever takes my fancy in the next 5 years)
20:
Same. Maybe somewhere else again? By this point i hope to be successful/have money. Invest in a small bi-plane and learn to fly
40:
Same again. House hopefully, and perhap found a significant other of some description.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

I love how all the pent up memes (from the still-lazered /b/) are starting to spurt out elsewhere, like on these boards.

And by love, I actually mean that it somewhat worries me.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

negatron

Postby negatron » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:53 pm UTC

I'm 24 now. In 20 years I'll be 44 years old. In 40 years I'll be 24 years old. My real curiosity is what my world will be in 100 years. What does an omnipotent enigmatic entity do to pass the time? Creates planets with slow witted apes for amusement perhaps.
I shouldn't say anything bad about calculus, but I will - Gilbert Strang

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

10 years: Finishing College, or working in AI. Possibly both.

20 years: Definitely working. Most likely for an information firm like Google or a game firm. By this point at the very latest, I'm expecting a machine somewhere in the world to pass the Turing test. More likely a lot of them, in pretty quick succession. It's going to be a funky civil rights campaign.

40 years: No clue. It's entirely possible that plague, war, accident, or disassembly of the planet has lead to my untimely demise. It's also possible that I'm now an information entity. Either way, it's going to be a hell of a ride.
I can kill you with my brain.

Day Tripper

Postby Day Tripper » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

10: Living downtown, teaching high school science, maybe working on Master's degree. Living in a crappy apartment because of real estate prices, but at least I'm close to the clubs. Which reminds me; I'm also in a band as vocals/keyboard, preferably with people I don't hate. We've built up a modest local fan following.

20: Teaching high school science, still living downtown in a less crappy condominium. Still casually performing music on the side. Married, but no kids and no pets. My life is my own. Traveling as much as I can, considering the astronomical cost of oil.

40: Preparing for retirement. Keeping up-to-date with new technology and fashion. Remind myself every day to not become old at heart. My traveling days are over, and I am content to stay in the city - still in a condominium downtown, not far from the lake. After retiring from teaching, I work part-time producing the songs of other musicians (for free, if they are just starting out and good enough). Now that I can afford to, I keep up-to-date with fashion and age gracefully.

As a side note, it's surprising to me that "meme" (the word itself, not the concept) has been so readily adopted in internet culture. I always thought of the word as an esoteric, science-y coinage from The Selfish Gene. :lol:
I compulsively edit posts.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:56 am UTC

10: Finishing grad school, poor as dirt. Probably still in Virginia. Hopefully married?
20: Hopefully, I'll be able to find a job teaching or doing something related to what I want to teach (philosophy). I could be anywhere by now, and I'll probably be married.
40: I'm doing science and I'm STILL ALIVE. Actually, I hope to be older and wiser. I want to teach people to think clearly and to care about what's really important. I hope to have at least one book written.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

10 years: Probably in med school, at some good university. Wondering what I'm doing with my life.
20 years: Here's hoping I'll publish a book by then. Still wondering what I'm doing with my life.
40 years: Still working on god knows what. Living on Madagascar, as I know I'll be safe from any infection. Even one who's only symptoms are sneezing. And is completely resistant to everything.

steewi

Postby steewi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:41 am UTC

What will probably happen:

10 years: I will have finished studying (I hope, by age 36...) and will have some sort of paid work, probably that I tolerate, but don't necessarily enjoy. I will get enjoyment out of extra-occupational activities. I may have a SO, but doubt it.

20 years: Now 46, I'll be well established in a workplace (I'm not one to move around). I'll still be doing extra-occupational stuff, but now I'll be the weird old guy hanging around, tolerated by everyone else. I'll be on my own, and getting bitter

40 years: At 66, I'll be respected in the workplace, but ignored most other places. I'll hang around, because retirement means admitting that I've failed at the rest of life.

What I'd like to happen:

10 years: I have a doctorate, and have found someone to share my life with. We've found a place in a good community, and have a respected position. My work has become known amongst those who matter.

20 years: I, and my SO (whoever they may be) are community leaders making a good difference in the way people think and live their lives. I have respected publications but not widespread fame.

40 years: I am set to retire and spend my time doing what I want. I teach others who want to learn for free and I am happy.

Bah. Pipe dream.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:I love how all the pent up memes (from the still-lazered /b/) are starting to spurt out elsewhere, like on these boards.

Wait, are you shitting me? /b/ got taken down? When and why did this happen?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:27 am UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:
saxmaniac1987 wrote:I love how all the pent up memes (from the still-lazered /b/) are starting to spurt out elsewhere, like on these boards.

I think it's back up, but when I heard I laughed for a long, long time. Schadenfreude, bitches.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:55 am UTC

negatron wrote:In 40 years I'll be 24 years old.

What's your secret?

On topic: I have no freaking clue. I'm not the type of person who plans my life at all, or indeed has any idea at all what they'll be doing next year. Here's how I'd like it to go down though.

10 years: Working the same job I am now, and writing every spare moment I have. I want to be churning out books, stories and poems. I have so many ideas I want to put down.

20 years: Part of the New Zealand Resistance Force, fighting the army of a certain country who invaded New Zealand for lebensraum and resources in an increasingly overcrowded, starved and polluted world. Because of my age, 39, and bushcraft skills, I will be a valued member of a sabotage team. We will have been fighting for 2 years, and it is incredibly obvious that we are losing.

40 years: Dead, killed by a sniper while attempting to plant a bomb in a hydro dam.

What's most likely to happen:

10 years: Dead through suicide

or

20 years: Killed by pirates in the South China sea

or

40 years: Dead by lung cancer caused by smoking.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

negatron

Postby negatron » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:49 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:
negatron wrote:In 40 years I'll be 24 years old.

What's your secret?

Science, the wholesome river of progress. :D

Actually, I could die tomorrow. I'm just betting on the most probable outcome. Some day people will stop dying, I'm only trying to approximate when that will be.
I shouldn't say anything bad about calculus, but I will - Gilbert Strang

KevorkianKat

Postby KevorkianKat » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:
BomanTheBear wrote:

I think it's back up, but when I heard I laughed for a long, long time. Schadenfreude, bitches.

/b/ was never taken down to begin with, the admin was screwing with people, just like everyone screws with each other on that batshit insane site.

10 years: Working the same job I am now, and writing every spare moment I have. I want to be churning out books, stories and poems. I have so many ideas I want to put down.

20 years: Part of the New Zealand Resistance Force, fighting the army of a certain country who invaded New Zealand for lebensraum and resources in an increasingly overcrowded, starved and polluted world. Because of my age, 39, and bushcraft skills, I will be a valued member of a sabotage team. We will have been fighting for 2 years, and it is incredibly obvious that we are losing.

40 years: Dead, killed by a sniper while attempting to plant a bomb in a hydro dam.

What's most likely to happen:

10 years: Dead through suicide

or

20 years: Killed by pirates in the South China sea

or

40 years: Dead by lung cancer caused by smoking.

Wait, what? Is this a choose your own adventure?

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:23 am UTC

KevorkianKat wrote:If you can't think that far ahead, feel free to make up your own dystopian future.

I am not good at thinking ahead.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

For reference, I'm 17 at the moment.

10 Years
Where: A research lab somewhere
What/Why: Working on AI and cognitive science, mostly. Hopefully by this point I have at least one cybernetic implant.

20 Years
Where: Another research lab, maybe?
What/Why: Still working. However, by this point I expect AIs to start passing the Turing test, so perhaps I could stand back and let the benefits of my work take over. Even if that doesn't happen, life extension should be sufficiently advanced by this point to allow me to wait out the singularity in any case. Also, hopefully more cybernetic implants.

40 Years
Where: Living in a city or settlement on the ocean OR living inside a computer (ideally)
What/Why: If I haven't already uploaded myself by this point, then I'll probably be living on a seastead (or a space station. Actually, ideally a space station, yeah.), the concept has always fascinated me. Most, if not all, of my body should have been replaced by longer-lasting components at this point.

Note that this is all assuming that Kurzweil's predictions hold true. Even if he is overly optimistic, I feel confident that life extension technologies will advance sufficiently in my lifetime to keep me alive until the singularity.

Edit: negatron: Why hello thar. Good to see another transhumanist around!
All is well. We are not like the others.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

Ishindri wrote:For reference, I'm 17 at the moment.

10 Years
Where: A research lab somewhere
What/Why: Working on AI and cognitive science, mostly. Hopefully by this point I have at least one cybernetic implant.

20 Years
Where: Another research lab, maybe?
What/Why: Still working. However, by this point I expect AIs to start passing the Turing test, so perhaps I could stand back and let the benefits of my work take over. Even if that doesn't happen, life extension should be sufficiently advanced by this point to allow me to wait out the singularity in any case. Also, hopefully more cybernetic implants.

40 Years
Where: Living in a city or settlement on the ocean OR living inside a computer (ideally)
What/Why: If I haven't already uploaded myself by this point, then I'll probably be living on a seastead (or a space station. Actually, ideally a space station, yeah.), the concept has always fascinated me. Most, if not all, of my body should have been replaced by longer-lasting components at this point.

Note that this is all assuming that Kurzweil's predictions hold true. Even if he is overly optimistic, I feel confident that life extension technologies will advance sufficiently in my lifetime to keep me alive until the singularity.

Edit: negatron: Why hello thar. Good to see another transhumanist around!

I like the way you think.
I can kill you with my brain.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

10 Years Watching it burn.
20 Years Sweet oblivion.
40 Years Fucking Buddhist and their fucking reincarnation! Fuck!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

krynd

Postby krynd » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:40 Years: Possible Alive. Given all the places I would have traveled a lot could have happened. Probably AIDs got to me somehow. If not it was the Pedo Bear virus I created that FINALLY infected the usually untouchable Madagascar, because SOMEONE coughed. (Inside Joke).

I always hated Madagascar. My secret was to turn up resistance on heat and moisture, turn off all symptoms, wait a while (not too long, someone might accidentally cough), turn on Airborne, Insect, and Rodent, and pray to FSM that Madagascar would be hit by one of the 10 boats that ever goes into it's port during the game (always pissed me off: They have no airports, no borders, but they're listed as having them. Also, often a boat would look like it'd go to Madagascar, but then swarve off into India. I think the captain figured there wasn't anyone there who'd appreciate his/her shipment of curry).

Dark Ragnarok wrote:Btw, I maxed my virus out to this

Awesome. I like how the average deaths per day is over 11 million. By the way, what is "Head Popper"?

Anyone else who plays that game ever beat it? I only killed Madagascar once, and through pure luck. Naturally, when they went, the world fell in a matter of minutes. Heart Failure + Encephalitis + Pulmonary Edema ftmfw. Not that I'd ever want someone to actually contract any of that, which is part of the reason I quit playing. I got kind of worried that some sort of cosmic event would link that game + my evil creation and somehow bring it to life. That being said, I don't want to move to Brazil or India any time soon (I always started in one of those two countries, no where else).

EDIT: On-topic:

Ten Years
Working a pretty good job doing some programming, either for a large company or my own. Probably work on getting a wife somewhere in there, after I've secured a good job (yes, I have some strange priorities. I don't feel okay with leaving my financial future in question while I try to start a family).

Alternately, joining up with John Connor and training for battle.

Twenty Years
Sitting Earth-bound while all my cool friends and probably my kids fly around the universe (or at least between here and the Moon and/or Mars). Damn unnamed medical condition! Hopefully the kids don't pick it up (though it is a strong supporter of the "nurture" over "nature" argument).

Working on retirement, dodging the PHB (if at a company) or trying not to become the PHB (at my own company). Educating my kids in the compiled arts from a young age. Ideally I'd like to teach them all Perl and C before they leave for college. Even if they'd be ancient languages by then, it'd still be worth knowing for the history of languages, and why Python eventually grew to become THE language out there (with many of it's "children" filling in niches). Maybe I'm a bit optimistic...

Also, if any of them complain, I'll start speaking to them in Latin (I figure by then I'll have finally "scratched the itch" to learn Latin to the point of being able to converse in it), and nothing else (no newsspeak for me!).

Alternately, training my kids to fight HAL or GLaDOS, and/or tracing down Replicants via cyberspace for the blade runners to retire (they'd have to link up to the network sometime, for some reason).

Fourty Years
Dead from unnamed medical condition.

Alternately, prepping for retirement and/or prepping to fight The Matrix (I've decided to hold off on trying to kill it so that it might feel secure enough to let its guard down. After all, it's a bit big to take on all at once).

One Hundred Years
Reappearing as an AI construct to my children/grandchildren on a laptop I've buried in a time capsule. Self-referencing joke. Hopefully the degredation caused by time won't cause my contstruct to run rampant and murder them all.

Alternately, using same AI construct to infect the Covenant mainframe and bring the war to a close before the Covenant can activate the Flood.
Dangermouse wrote:I hope this doesn't mirror too much of what you've read--and btw, you should read less and do more. No one takes good pictures or runs a marathon sitting on their couch surfing the internet.

WCG xkcd team

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

Ati wrote:I like the way you think.

Likewise.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Return to “General”