What to do when I grow up (whenever that is)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

the tree

What to do when I grow up (whenever that is)

Postby the tree » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 am UTC

I am currently, as a summer job, working 9-5 in an office. It is not very fun. I am going to start my second year of university (studying maths), that is more fun than working in an office, to say the least. When I've finished university, how can avoid winding up in an office permanently?

Possible options that I'm aware of include education, I'm actually doing some work experience in a school just before term starts but honestly I hate the education system so much I really don't think I'd be able to handle being a teacher.

Other options? Ideas for crazy exciting and wonderful career paths? Anecdotes?

the tree

Re: What to do when I grow up (whenever that is)

Postby the tree » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:06 am UTC

I find the lack of responses disturbing.

I think I'll change the question.

Am I doomed?

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:18 am UTC

the tree wrote:Possible options that I'm aware of include education, I'm actually doing some work experience in a school just before term starts but honestly I hate the education system so much I really don't think I'd be able to handle being a teacher.

If this includes teaching adults (that is, become a professor) then i am unaware. I'm fortunate in that i know what i want to do, and my course leaves you with one option and plently of subcategory's.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

timt

Postby timt » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

the tree wrote:Am I doomed?

yes

that is all

No really I'm in the same boat as you, I'm considering taking up boilermaking just because i could not see myself working in the IT industry.

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:39 pm UTC

Move to Neverland?
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

Working in an office is only bad if the office you are working in is bad. I work a 9-5 (or 8:30 to 5:30 or later would be more accurate) desk job in an office and love it, because the job and the people are good. The job before this was really painful having to spend the time in that office.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

Become a circus clown. It is your destiny.

Honestly, listening to any sort of advice from me (unemployed for 2 months, yet with a completed degree) is probably a bad idea. But at least my suggestion is fun.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

1hitcombo

Postby 1hitcombo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

you can always become a student for life.

get your masters, and then your phD, and then another phD. By the end you'll probably have enough experiences and connections to do something you like...maybe?

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:Working in an office is only bad if the office you are working in is bad. I work a 9-5 (or 8:30 to 5:30 or later would be more accurate) desk job in an office and love it, because the job and the people are good. The job before this was really painful having to spend the time in that office.

Apparently, there are offices out there that give you free cheese. All day.
FREE CHEESE ALL DAY!

If you're in America, teaching anywhere except a college(or perhaps a nice technical school) is probably not going to be enjoyable. I used to want to be an underwater welder, just because it looked fun. It's no longer a profession...

So i'll be getting degrees in different categories until I can find a career I'll enjoy. It'll pay off eventually.

yay student loans and schoolarships
don't plow that beautiful field!

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

I want to produce or play in a band. I'd also be cool with voiceacting. In fact, I'd love to voice act. I do not want to work in a cubicle. I've had my fill of them. Fuck cubes. I'd rather work 80 hours a week doing a job I enjoy.

danpilon54

Postby danpilon54 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

If you like math enough to get a PhD, I would consider academia. It is really nothing like being a teacher. A professors life is pretty sweet. You get to do research in a field you love, teach maybe 1 or 2 classes of students that actually want to be there (and it is really nothing like being a grade-school teacher which can basically be a glorified form of babysitting), get summers off teaching, and get a sabbatical year every 7 years or so. Without a PhD, you could always get a math-based job at a bank, financial institution, or one of the many other applications of a math degree. You don't have to work in an office if you don't want to, but you may have to work hard (and long if you want PhD) to be in a position to really choose where you want to work.
Last edited by danpilon54 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Well, I killed a homeless man. We can't all be good people.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

I'm in the same boat. I'm majoring in pure math, and kinda fearing life after university. I plan on getting a Ph.D or two, just because I really don't want to join the real world. Then I'll probably become a professor so that I can do research rather than do real work. Teaching a couple of courses a year wouldn't be that bad, plus after you do it for a while, I think you can cut down the number of courses you teach so that you're essentially just being paid to do research.

That's my plan.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

hestia

Postby hestia » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

Teaching in the public school system really isn't that bad, you just have to have a good administration. Actually, it really can be a blast, kids are way fun. I just wish I can get a job with middle school, my part time thing is with high schoolers right now and though I enjoy it, it's not even as close to fun as the littler ones. So don't knock it until you try it, you might find it surprisingly fun. Tutor some kids or something, math tutors are always in high demand and it will give you some sort of sense of whether or not it is something you would be good at/enjoy.
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

Meowgan wrote:Move to Neverland?

I second this idea.
(Mainly cuz my other plan was power rangers... Cuz I'm cool 8) :lol: )
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Return to “General”