Can I morally get a digital watch?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Peter_G

Postby Peter_G » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

I am a follower of the great Douglas Adams, and as you should know, very early on in The Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy, it suggests that digital watches are naff. Can I still get one? I'm not trying to be funny, just wondering what your opinion on the subject is. Are digital watches naff?
If you're not a bot, you're a creepy motherfucker

Shakleton

Re: Can I morally get a digital watch?

Postby Shakleton » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:14 pm UTC

I prefer analog (do you say that in English???) watches. I very much like the style. I couldn't wear a digital watch. (I am a follower of Douglas Adams, too)
But I don't think you should clinge THAT much to him. If you like digital watches, go and buy one.

Just my 2ct
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

Shakleton wrote:I prefer analog (do you say that in English???) watches. I very much like the style. I couldn't wear a digital watch. (I am a follower of Douglas Adams, too)
But I don't think you should clinge THAT much to him. If you like digital watches, go and buy one.

Just my 2ct

yeah, they're called analog. there's just something regal about them. I got a seiko premier perpetual kinetic for Christmas. It's so precise, it measures leap years and daylight savings. Powered by swinging your arm when you walk.

doc leech

Postby doc leech » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

MIne's powered by sarcasm. It's great.
Float like a float-bot, sting like an automatic stinging machine

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

Yes, you can. It doesn't matter. Plus there are usually handy bonus features.

Personally I rock a Timex Ironman I've had for about 14 years. It's got a timer and a stopwatch and everything. If somebody wants to disrespect my Ironman I am gonna disrespect their superficial materialistic pointlessly outdated analog watch. Join the future!

Seriously though, I used to wear an analog watch but it was just kinda heavy and it bugged me when it was too hot or cold outside. I like my Timex. It is practical and unpretentious and light, and it is basically the opposite to some of those watches you see on guys who take their bling way too seriously. I've even impressed chicks with it for that reason.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

Douglas Adams never said digital watches were naff. He was mocking overenthusiasm for technology that really wasn't that profound. Get a digital watch if you like. I've got an analog, myself, but I had an analog one with a little digital screen before that, and that was nice.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

I've got a chip in my head that beeps every hour on the hour. It's handy, but the scar turns off the chicks a bit.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Seremite

Postby Seremite » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

You will still be largely unhappy. But in this amazingly primitive life, what can one do?

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

Seremite wrote:You will still be largely unhappy. But in this amazingly primitive life, what can one do?

Perhaps if we were able to correctly move around small green slips of paper, things would be better.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Seremite

Postby Seremite » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Seremite wrote:You will still be largely unhappy. But in this amazingly primitive life, what can one do?

Perhaps if we were able to correctly move around small green slips of paper, things would be better.

It isn't the small green pieces of paper that are unhappy.
... And so the problem remains.

(It doesn't help that I just read all five-ish books again last week)

Edit: English

Peter_G

Postby Peter_G » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

I have the feeling I'm going to like this community :)

doc leech

Postby doc leech » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Welcome! Would you like a glass of chilled toilet duck?

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

No! digital watches are evil and you should be ashamed of yourself for even considering it.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

Yes, but can you use a digital watch to tell which way is North?

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:Yes, you can. It doesn't matter. Plus there are usually handy bonus features.

Personally I rock a Timex Ironman I've had for about 14 years. It's got a timer and a stopwatch and everything. If somebody wants to disrespect my Ironman I am gonna disrespect their superficial materialistic pointlessly outdated analog watch. Join the future!

Seriously though, I used to wear an analog watch but it was just kinda heavy and it bugged me when it was too hot or cold outside. I like my Timex. It is practical and unpretentious and light, and it is basically the opposite to some of those watches you see on guys who take their bling way too seriously. I've even impressed chicks with it for that reason.
Man, I used to rock the Ironman as well, until I decided that I would prefer a watch with no features other than time and date. Now I rock a Casio F-28w. I'm horrible at reading analog time, so all those years of refining the craft of clockwork are wasted on me.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:25 am UTC

You can, you just have to be intelligent not retarded enough to know where the hour hand and the 12 should be.

Edit:
Take a line between the standard hour (which you have lined up to the sun) and the 12 o'clock position on the clock face.

This line is now pointing South if you are in the Northern Hemisphere, North if you are in the Southern Hemisphere.

I never knew it was the opposite in the northern hemisphere though..... Hrm.... What happens if you live on the equator? I'd guess it depends what season it is in the rest of the world
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Digital watches are sooo twencen. In this century, we have binary watches!
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Analog watches>Digital watches

But get whichever you like better.

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:51 am UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:Analog watches>Digital watches

What makes you state that as an absolute truth?
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:58 am UTC

My watch tells time in both ways.

This is it.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:41 am UTC

Hurduser wrote:
ParanoidAndroid wrote:Analog watches>Digital watches

What makes you state that as an absolute truth?

God told me so.

But really, what makes you think that I meant it as an absolute truth? I like analog watches more than digital. I find them more aesthetically pleasing. As far as my preferences go, analog>digital. When I say, "Ugh, olives are disgusting," I'd hope you wouldn't think I was stating it as an absolute truth. I kind of assumed that it would be understood as an opinion.

Also, he arbitrarily assigned moral implications to an amoral situation when asking his question. Why can't I arbitrarily assign moral imperative to an amoral opinion in response? (Not that I intended to add moral imperative in the first place.)

tiny

Postby tiny » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:57 am UTC

Goatboy wrote:I'm horrible at reading analog time, so all those years of refining the craft of clockwork are wasted on me.
I, on the other hand, am digital time illiterate (I've been an hour too late or too early numerous times because of that), so I can only recommend analog watches.

Still digital watches have the advantage of telling you if it's am or pm, in case you're in a room without windows for a longer period.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:11 am UTC

tiny wrote:
Goatboy wrote:I'm horrible at reading analog time, so all those years of refining the craft of clockwork are wasted on me.
I, on the other hand, am digital time illiterate (I've been an hour too late or too early numerous times because of that), so I can only recommend analog watches.

Yeah, digital watches aren't quite as effective for me as well. I like having a visually based representation of time elapsing. Just seeing the numbers alone seems out of context of the rest with the day.

I have, er, problems with my conceptualization of time. Then again, I am much better at language and reading comprehension based activities than math. My math and engineering friends use analog and can't stand digital. Coincidence?

okelay

Postby okelay » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:37 am UTC

I don't like digital watches. I don't think they're pretty or elegant or useful. I'd rather use my mobile phone.
I use a fob watch,actually. I like vintage stuff.I have an alarm clock with bells on it.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:53 am UTC

okelay wrote:I don't think they're pretty or elegant or useful.

Eh? Taste aside, a digital watch does exactly the same thing as an analogue watch or a fob watch for that matter. How are they not useful?

joff

Postby joff » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:21 am UTC

Pfft all this fancy modern technology... no need for it...

mostly_true_comics wrote:...we're forgetting about the geopolitical ramifications of such an incursion. If you think the Morloks, Molemen, and Lord Kinbote are going to sit still while you tunnel through their territory, think again.

28/♂/hetero/NZ

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:50 am UTC

okelay wrote:I don't like digital watches. I don't think they're pretty or elegant or useful. I'd rather use my mobile phone.

I get the impression that just using one's phone is the current trend. I find it rather amusing since the action of looking at a cell phone is similar to the action of pulling out a pocket watch.
I've been using a calculator watch since 1996. The downside is that it clearly communicates a nerdy predisposition, but it's useful enough that I continue to wear it.
However, I do think that analog watches are generally better looking, but that also means that I think most of them are inappropriate for casual use. Remember, Douglas Adams also referenced watches as status symbols (I think it was in the third book, and I can't check at the moment). So you might run the risk that you'll be perceived as someone who considers status important, or you could be perceived as someone who is important.

Long story short. Just draw a watch on your wrist. When you need to know the time, just walk up to someone and say, "Excuse me, do you have the time? My watch seems to have stopped." This plan is 100% perfect and has no drawbacks whatsoever.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:01 am UTC

I'd like to get a pocket watch. All you newfangled people with your wrist-attached watches...

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:03 am UTC

I have one major qualm about digital. It implies precision. You can say "OK, I'll meet you a 12:38 and 32 seconds.". While some may see this as a good thing, personally I think that some lack of precision with timekeeping is very important to leading a happy life.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Ha, imprecision- the biggest discrepancy between the various clocks in my house is (today) 28 1/2 minutes (we changed one. Before, it was something like 34 minutes).
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Firnagzen

Postby Firnagzen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:I have one major qualm about digital. It implies precision. You can say "OK, I'll meet you a 12:38 and 32 seconds.". While some may see this as a good thing, personally I think that some lack of precision with timekeeping is very important to leading a happy life.

The Talus aboutime beats the tar out of that idea. It tells you the approximate time, though it's digital. :mrgreen: I've always wanted one. Though one of Thinkgeek's videoscreen watches is cool too.
Life may suck, but there's nothing else to do.

Peter_G

Postby Peter_G » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

doc leech

Postby doc leech » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

Yikes! That thing looks like it would weigh down my arm something fierce.

In my opinion, the less on a watch the better. Just the time, please! I tend to prefer watches like this: http://skagen.c4.ixwebhosting.com/store ... roductID=5

I have a similar one with no date indicator and very thin silver lines instead of silver dots. Nice and simple, doesn't weigh a ton, and goes with pretty much everything I like to wear. Doesn't even look all too out of place with slummin' type clothes.

arcticfox.sq

Postby arcticfox.sq » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

I find analog watches are prettier. I've been wanting a Swiss Military watch for a while now. And I'd have bought the thinkgeek binary one if they made it smaller and shinier.

Edit: I actually like the men's styles better, but they're too big for my tiny wrist.

Also, I once saw a watch THAT WAS ALSO AN MP3 PLAYER! My ex-boyfriend had one. He could plug earphones into his watch and listen to music. *Extreme jealousy and want* It was a beautiful analog, too.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:Yes, you can. It doesn't matter. Plus there are usually handy bonus features.

Seconded. I have this watch, it's lasted longer than I can remember and works great. Just about everything I'd want in a watch and damn near indestructible.

I'd love a calculator/MP3 player watch though.

Also, using time to determine direction and vice-versa is easy if you don't need precision. All you need to know is the sun (and moon) rises in the East.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Yawgmoth

Postby Yawgmoth » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

My watch is analog with a little digital window in the bottom. It's happy fun good.

LittleChrist

Postby LittleChrist » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:50 am UTC

+1 vote for Skagen watches. They're so thin and work well with any attire. Seriously check them out.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~ Theodor Seuss Geisel

longs

Postby longs » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:52 am UTC

umm, +another vote for Skagen. I think this decision basically comes down to aesthetics, and digital watches are very rarely as attractive as analog-dial watches---and Skagen make the most beautiful ones, and they're inexpensive. Mine is almost identical; it has a gunmetal face.

the participle.

doc leech

Postby doc leech » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Feeling the skagen love! That's my exact watch you posted, Longs, though mine isn't gunmetal. I've been sticking to the black faced to this point, but I was thinking about getting one of the silvery faced ones soon. Normally I wouldn't consider having two watches, but with Skagen being as inexpensive as it is, why not? Gotta love watches that aren't $500 and still last & look great!

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:50 am UTC

Digital watches are superior for one reason and one reason only: 24-hour time. With an analog watch, there is no way to tell the difference between 3:23 and 15:23. Seriously, how can you live not being able to know when it is exactly 0:00?

Obvious jokes about the difference between night and day aside (unless you live way up north/down south), I got used to the 24-hour system, and can't change back, so analog watches are an automatic disqualification for me.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Return to “General”