My preferred method of following Megatokyo...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lemi4

My preferred method of following Megatokyo...

Postby Lemi4 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:46 am UTC

...is to not visit for a month or two then, when I'm feeling like it, catch up on the dozen or so panels that Fred has managed to make. Personally less frustration that way for me, not expecting to see a new comic every day/week/month.

grim4593

Postby grim4593 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:48 am UTC

Tell me about it. I just started reading it a few weeks ago. It took me several days to get to where he is now (800 or so). Now I am disappointed because I want more :(

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:11 am UTC

Well, I'm glad someone else on the internet enjoys it. I was feeling lonely.

davean
Site Ninja

Re: My preferred method of following Megatokyo...

Postby davean » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 pm UTC

Lemi4 wrote:...is to not visit for a month or two then, when I'm feeling like it, catch up on the dozen or so panels that Fred has managed to make. Personally less frustration that way for me, not expecting to see a new comic every day/week/month.

You forgot to mention what you do when you actually see what he has done in that time span. You must have some copping mechanism.

katsielyonz

Postby katsielyonz » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:07 pm UTC

I usually visit the forums inbetween the time of posting. Gives me something to do while I'm waiting for his post.
Yah yah, poo.

Marrow

Postby Marrow » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:25 pm UTC

Heh, yeah. I love the "0% complete- on schedule"

I am tempted to just start getting the books instead of reading it online though.

There are worse ones out there of course, Misfile I read, but I am thinking about quitting. It updates daily without fail, buts its sort of like what is the point of reading it when it seems like every one of the comics is trying to be a cliff hanger and nothing really seems entertaining.
Nonconformists unite for paradox.

Tropylium

Postby Tropylium » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:23 am UTC

Giving up on reading everything daily is effectiv also when your reading burden would otherwise get too big. I adopted it when my daily trawl was starting to go over 50... that seems to be some sort of a limit on how much I'm capable of reading daily without keeping getting lost of who's what where.

MT's currently in the "maybe once a year if I feel like it" category.

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:10 pm UTC

I should learn to use RSS in some way to make my webcomic reading easier, but the few RSS aggregators I have seen which I am so far able to use have not done what I want them to do, being to display images from each thing. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do? Also, it seems like RSS has kind of no point, or that it is just a thing to standardize the format of a periodically- (or aperiodically-) released thing, because it's complicated to make a reader? I should find out more...

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:42 pm UTC

Shoofle wrote:I should learn to use RSS in some way to make my webcomic reading easier, but the few RSS aggregators I have seen which I am so far able to use have not done what I want them to do, being to display images from each thing. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do?

I like Bloglines, it's got a pretty good interface. It'll display comics inline whenever they're part of the feed, as xkcd is. (Mouseover text, too.) Some comics don't include images inline, but that can't be helped.

Here's my set of feeds, for example.

Shoofle wrote:Also, it seems like RSS has kind of no point, or that it is just a thing to standardize the format of a periodically- (or aperiodically-) released thing, because it's complicated to make a reader? I should find out more...

That's exactly it. You couldn't make a good general site-scraping bot, at least not a reliable one, and it wouldn't really be able to properly parse the pages for semantic content. RSS and other feed formats solve that problem.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

Factitious

Postby Factitious » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:32 pm UTC

If you want something just for webcomics, Piperka is pretty good. It uses site scraping instead of RSS, and seems to have been able to make that work. The only limitation of its approach is that can only track webcomics that have a linear archive system set up.
No sale, honcho!

Tropylium

Postby Tropylium » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:13 pm UTC

I prefer The Webcomic List. They have 7415 comics under radar; Piperka has 732. Even with TWCL being fuller with comics that are completely n00by and/or only bookmarked, not actually tracked, it's still more likely to not have Your Fave Comic X tracked. And there are still more similar services too — webcomic.com and Belfry at least.
Last edited by Tropylium on Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:45 pm UTC

Tropylium wrote:I prefer The Webcomics List.

Maybe you mean http://www.thewebcomiclist.com/?

Tropylium

Postby Tropylium » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:05 pm UTC

Oops, yes. :oops: Fixed now.

farvana

Postby farvana » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:27 pm UTC

"Open in Tabs" works for me.

Individually clicking 40 to 60 links a day, even if they ARE all collected, isn't nearly as appealing as three clicks then ctrl+w to close a tab.

Tropylium

Postby Tropylium » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:25 pm UTC

Even if most of those tabs do not contain any new comics? Or are you one of those people that have everything sorted by update day? I find *that* to be the "too much work" part, however, and schedules do still get irregular from time to time anyway.

farvana

Postby farvana » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:40 pm UTC

Sorted by update.

The initial sorting IS a pain, but after that, it's peachy.

Just don't make a list for every day of the week, but for the three basic update scedules: daily, MWF, and weekly.

It won't work ALL the time, but it's generally better than anything else I've come across.

Marrow

Postby Marrow » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:01 pm UTC

When I did that I also added one for Tuesday and Friday as there are a few out there that update twice a week, most are on different days, but generally those two will catch all of them. Yes, you could just put them in MWF as well and know that one day they won't be updated. I also make one for ones that I am meaning to get back to but never bother to (I suppoes I could just delete the links too *gasp*)
Nonconformists unite for paradox.

Factitious

Postby Factitious » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:10 am UTC

Tropylium wrote:I prefer The Webcomic List. They have 7415 comics under radar; Piperka has 732. Even with TWCL being fuller with comics that are completely n00by and/or only bookmarked, not actually tracked, it's still more likely to not have Your Fave Comic X tracked. And there are still more similar services too — webcomic.com and Belfry at least.

Do those show specifically which of the webcomics I read have updated since the last time I checked? It's pretty convenient for me to see a short list of comics that updated since two hours ago, rather than go through a list of comics that update on Tuesdays to see which ones are new.
No sale, honcho!

farvana

Postby farvana » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:57 am UTC

Marrow wrote:When I did that I also added one for Tuesday and Friday as there are a few out there that update twice a week, most are on different days, but generally those two will catch all of them. Yes, you could just put them in MWF as well and know that one day they won't be updated. I also make one for ones that I am meaning to get back to but never bother to (I suppoes I could just delete the links too *gasp*)

Heh. Yeah, MWF is a much more common schedule, so I slip in the TF comics in there as well.

I keep the ones I keep meaning to get back to in the weekly folder, as that one isn't one I check much.

Also? I don't much like checking in all day on the off chance that one comic or another updated.

posiduck

Postby posiduck » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:14 am UTC

Factitious wrote:Do those show specifically which of the webcomics I read have updated since the last time I checked? It's pretty convenient for me to see a short list of comics that updated since two hours ago, rather than go through a list of comics that update on Tuesdays to see which ones are new.

So you desire molly-coddling?
blistering guitar solo

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:22 am UTC

Because I have nothing better to do, I thought I'd reveal my system...

When you're on dial-up, your favorite webcomics aren't larger than a fifty or so kB.

Under this system, I have found peace and happiness.

Additionally, vertical comics with large file sizes (that is, 100 kB+) are better than horizontally oriented ones, since they load in an (almost) visually pleasing way, like your Significant Other doing a seven scarf dance for your private enjoyment. Yeah, QC is nice in this respect.
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:16 am UTC

wisnij wrote:
Shoofle wrote:I should learn to use RSS in some way to make my webcomic reading easier, but the few RSS aggregators I have seen which I am so far able to use have not done what I want them to do, being to display images from each thing. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do?

I like Bloglines, it's got a pretty good interface. It'll display comics inline whenever they're part of the feed, as xkcd is. (Mouseover text, too.) Some comics don't include images inline, but that can't be helped.

Here's my set of feeds, for example.

Shoofle wrote:Also, it seems like RSS has kind of no point, or that it is just a thing to standardize the format of a periodically- (or aperiodically-) released thing, because it's complicated to make a reader? I should find out more...

That's exactly it. You couldn't make a good general site-scraping bot, at least not a reliable one, and it wouldn't really be able to properly parse the pages for semantic content. RSS and other feed formats solve that problem.

RSS is still pull, and RSS doesn't publish a recommended pull schedule, as such it is a lacking formate. Feel free to get comics emailed to you though .:)

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:44 am UTC

davean wrote:RSS is still pull, and RSS doesn't publish a recommended pull schedule, as such it is a lacking formate. Feel free to get comics emailed to you though .:)

How could it? The requirements would be different for every site. I suppose there could be a frequency suggestion field that publishers could customize, but that would only help for scheduled or regular updates, not something more sporadic like a blog. I doubt it matters too much on the subscriber side anyway. Bloglines, for example, checks for new content once every hour, which should be plenty frequent for any non-pathological case.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:36 pm UTC

wisnij wrote:
davean wrote:RSS is still pull, and RSS doesn't publish a recommended pull schedule, as such it is a lacking formate. Feel free to get comics emailed to you though .:)

How could it? The requirements would be different for every site. I suppose there could be a frequency suggestion field that publishers could customize, but that would only help for scheduled or regular updates, not something more sporadic like a blog. I doubt it matters too much on the subscriber side anyway. Bloglines, for example, checks for new content once every hour, which should be plenty frequent for any non-pathological case.

No, the problem is it checks too often and is generally a pathologically bad/inefficient design. Further, updates are not timely. Simply put, its the wrong sort of service to run over a pull service like HTTP and should have been layered on EMail or another service that can push. I don't know who's idea it was to run it over HTTP but it is bad.

Might lower the bar of entry a negligible bit, but it is a horrible design.
Last edited by davean on Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:44 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:41 pm UTC

Mind you the only real counter argument is not wanting to give out your email address, but this is easily countered with a dedicated email address that only accepts emails from the feeds you subscribe to that are properly formated.

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:46 pm UTC

davean wrote:
wisnij wrote:

No, the problem is it checks too often and is generally a pathologically bad/inefficient design. Further, updates are not timely. Simply put, its the wrong sort of service to run over a pull service like HTTP and should have been layered on EMail or another service that can push. I don't know who's idea it was to run it over HTTP but it is bad.

Might lower the bar of entry a negligible bit, but it is a horrible design.

I don't agree. Push services generally require a lot more configuration on the part of the publisher, whereas pull configuration can approach zero. That means more flexibility, especially for small sites. Lowering the bar is a Good Thing if it means a richer set of content gets out there. It also means subscribing and unsubscribing is entirely at the user's discretion - no sub/unsub messages to handle and verify, no subscriber list that could be wiped out if something happens to the server.

davean wrote:Mind you the only real counter argument is not wanting to give out your email address, but this is easily countered with a dedicated email address that only accepts emails from the feeds you subscribe to that are properly formated.

First of all, no. That's not the only possible counterargument. :?

Secondly, most users aren't going to do that unless it's almost completely transparent. A better solution for a web-based aggregator in the style of Bloglines would be to internally generate an email address for each feed* and discard any message that doesn't fit a recognized format. But that wouldn't help local-machine programs like Thunderbird.

* I say each feed, not each user, because the aggregator site can receive a single email and then just display it to each of its subscribing users, lowering the bandwidth burden on the publisher. Note that the same optimization works in the pull model as well.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:09 am UTC

wisnij wrote:I don't agree. Push services generally require a lot more configuration on the part of the publisher, whereas pull configuration can approach zero. That means more flexibility, especially for small sites. Lowering the bar is a Good Thing if it means a richer set of content gets out there. It also means subscribing and unsubscribing is entirely at the user's discretion - no sub/unsub messages to handle and verify, no subscriber list that could be wiped out if something happens to the server.

Nailing lists are well understood, and ... trivial. I'd say setting up a mailing list is easier then RSS's escaping rules. Publishing is always at the user discretion, they can just kill the account receiving it. Or just reject a specific sender. There could be a small hitch with the need for a resubscribe (easy to automate) if someone really mangled their server, but then again RSS can screw up the feed if you restore it incorrectly also.

kira
I hate bananas.

Postby kira » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:30 am UTC

davean wrote:Nailing lists are well understood, and ... trivial.

Would a nailing list be more related to crucifixion or "getting it on"?

farvana

Postby farvana » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:22 pm UTC

Possibly an informal acupuncture guide...

Or a carpentry how-to.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:26 pm UTC

kira wrote:
davean wrote:Nailing lists are well understood, and ... trivial.

Would a nailing list be more related to crucifixion or "getting it on"?

Hum, good question. I guess that depends on if it is a weekday or a weekend. One is work, the other pleasure. Of course, some people simplify this ambiguity by combining them.

Tropylium

Postby Tropylium » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:30 pm UTC

Factitious wrote:
Tropylium wrote:I prefer The Webcomic List. They have 7415 comics under radar; Piperka has 732. Even with TWCL being fuller with comics that are completely n00by and/or only bookmarked, not actually tracked, it's still more likely to not have Your Fave Comic X tracked. And there are still more similar services too — webcomic.com and Belfry at least.

Do those show specifically which of the webcomics I read have updated since the last time I checked? It's pretty convenient for me to see a short list of comics that updated since two hours ago, rather than go through a list of comics that update on Tuesdays to see which ones are new.

TWCL can, at least.

Return to “General”