Do people like you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Your likability

0-10
9%
11-20
3%
21-30
4%
31-40
6%
41-50
6%
51-60
5%
61-70
8%
71-80
14%
81-90
20%
91-100
26%

Total votes: 80

Irrational (?)

Do people like you?

Postby 3.14159265... » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:17 am UTC

Think about the people you spend the most amount of time with (3-10 people).

Out of those people, what percentage like you? the definition of "like" will be left completely up to each person, but I ask that everyone be honest.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

rutebega

Re: Do people like you?

Postby rutebega » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:23 am UTC

Out of the people I hang out with, 100% love me. I don't hang out with the people who don't like me, because it's worked out that neither do I like them.

Day Tripper

Postby Day Tripper » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Yeah, I don't choose to spend a lot of time with people that don't like me. So, 100% that way. If you broaden the poll to include people that surround me every day without my choice, it would probably be more like 20%. The rest are disinterested.
I compulsively edit posts.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:38 am UTC

The question is not do people you like, like you? because it then adds the bias of you liking them for exactly that reason.

The question is whether people you spend a lot of time with do. So coworkers and the like are definitely included.

Read the question with a more simplistic outlook on life, to get the most out of it.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

krynd

Postby krynd » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:45 am UTC

I don't surround myself with 3-10 people. Actually, I'm lucky to talk to more than 2 people in a day, and virtually none of them "like" me. Naturally I've exempted family.

Then again, I'm not looking for their companionship, as I do quite well by myself. They don't have to like me, and I don't have to like them, and I think we're all mutually ok with it. I could never see myself "hanging out" with the majority of them, as our personalities don't come close to meshing, and we don't share common activities. Perhaps if I had a more nerd-friendly social network (there's little hope of that. On the local University campus, there are no known "open acceptance" computer/chess/nerd/geek clubs (only "invite-only") and a University-oriented town like mine leaves little room for independent culture (ie the city itself defers most entertainment and recreation to the University, et al. A huge loss for our citizens too "old" to go to most of these events. But I digress...).

Then again, I never understood this misconception that people have to "like" you or that you have to be "popular" in order to "win" at life. I'm perfectly happy with my loose connection of people I generally don't talk to and don't feel "impacted" by not constantly talking to someone (it leaves far more time for work) or being "liked" all the time.

It's merely a matter of personal preference. I'd personally rather accomplish things than spend time worrying whether someone "likes" me. Honestly, if I were you, I'd probably work to adopt that attitude as well, because you can't make everyone like you, and you'll just end up slowly killing yourself by trying to please everyone.

That being said, I agree with your future reply that I should put more effort into being likable. I'll start on Wednesday ;).
Dangermouse wrote:I hope this doesn't mirror too much of what you've read--and btw, you should read less and do more. No one takes good pictures or runs a marathon sitting on their couch surfing the internet.

WCG xkcd team

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:51 am UTC

I have depression.

This is a terrible question to ask a depressed person.

:cry:
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:00 am UTC

Marbas wrote:This is a terrible question to ask a depressed person.
Agreed. I'm sitting here thinking "I... think they like me? Maybe they're just being civil though or making conversation because they're resigned to me being around or..." eventually leading to whining in blogs and fora about how everyone hates me. (Well, that part's not happening. I'm recovering, but sometimes I get this unwanted feeling)
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:16 am UTC

Nearly everyone. I find that people who don't like me very soon find ways of not having to be around me (or vice versa--I can usually easily avoid people I know I'll clash with).

Although, I should mention that I can be oblivious at times. If someone doesn't like me, I won't know unless they actually tell me directly. Apparently one of my coworkers from a few years ago didn't get along with me, and I had no idea.

But yeah, as far as I know, everyone I associate with on a regular or semi-regular basis does like me. KF
~Kizyr

Lutetium

Postby Lutetium » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:43 am UTC

Due to uni, I'm stuck having uni-friends who wouldn't spend time with me during holidays or ask me to come around to try out their new ice cream machine. *shakesfish*

I'd like to think my bf likes me ^__^.

Obviously my few close friends like me, I just don't get to see them that often.

= 80%
I haz awesome procrastination skills, let me show you them .... laterz.

Seremite

Postby Seremite » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:57 am UTC

The past summer I've been hanging out with mass amounts of little kids (ages 5-8), and about half of them liked me a lot.

As for the people I call my friends... I truly have no idea. I assume they do, but I don't know.. I don't talk a lot. I just hang around them.

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Postby Tigerlion » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:03 am UTC

0-10 down here!
I don't really have any friends ('cause I'm a conceited jerk, mostly.)
And I haven't talked to my parents in years
And I assume the people I live with tell themselves they like me, but if it came down to save my life or something, they'd decide it was too much of a hassle to feed me or something.
Edit: Wait, what the hell am I saying? I'm certain the people who I live with like me. They even went through the trouble to raise me.
I guess I was just feeling mopey.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid.
Last edited by Tigerlion on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:09 am UTC

Depends on when you ask me.
Right now? I feel like no one likes me.
On a regular day, I'm sure my feelings will be more moderate and accurate.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:33 am UTC

How am I supposed to know if people like me? I mean, nobody really insults me to my face, so I guess I'm likable enough to be given common courtesy by most people?

I guess that's like a one, bare minimum.

I've been told I have a likable face, so maybe that counts for something other than a sharpened pencil in my jugular.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:20 am UTC

people who I spend very little time around love me, my likability fades a bit with repeated exposure

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:21 am UTC

People love me. I've been told that people like hanging around me. I don't even know why. I'm not especially good-looking or anything. I've never met a person who just outright doesn't like me.

And the strange thing is that I can be pretty mean sometimes. I try not to be mean to my friends, though.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:47 am UTC

I think my close friends like me. But I have an ongoing paranoid fear that they go home and laugh at me / say horrible things about me.

I think most of my co-workers don't really care. Apparently they 'look up to me' as a leader and an example of a model employee but I think I'm a bit too weird intelligent and challenging for them to really 'like' me.

I think my family like me but I know they're convinced I'm not achieving what I could be (and they think I dress funny).

I often feel like the people who comprise my larger social network hate me or think I'm a loser but the truth is probably more like they don't really give a fuck about me either way. Which is probably worse, innit?
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

tiny

Postby tiny » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:44 am UTC

The three people I personally care about apparently think I'm quite lovable.
I don't know about everybody else. They say they like me, but actually I don't really care if it's true or not. Though it's quite a depressing thought that they might not.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:01 am UTC

i don't know if they like me, but they do enjoy spending time around me. the only reason why is because they never know what i'm going to do, i'm the most random and impulsive person in our group and they enjoy my impulsiveness and randomness.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:30 am UTC

I'm paranoid about people not likeing me. the problem is, whenever I get over it, I soon find out that no, the people I thought liked me actually hate me. the problem is, even at my paranoia, the few people who I think like me turn out not to. so I'm paranoid, but not quitre paranoid enough, it would seem.
It rains on the enemy too!

Grego

Postby Grego » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:44 am UTC

This all depends really. If they need someone's help they'll turn to me and we're up to 91-100. Otherwise there are some people I don't talk to for months. It's almost like putting my friends on a rota. Wouldn't advise it, in case you're wondering.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:06 pm UTC

Marbas wrote:I have depression.

This is a terrible question to ask a depressed person.

:cry:

*hug*, I already like you for your honesty.

This is sort of like the "sex demographics thread", it's a horrible thing to ask a virgin (myself included). It's good to know what "normal" is though, because we have these weird ideas about how it should be.

I really try to make everyone around me happy, and I am quite sure only 50% of the people I talk to really like me.

I would ask both those who responded 0-10 and those who responded 80+ to really think about this and its significance to them.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

Do people like you?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAhHHAHHHAAHhaAHaaHaahHaAaaa...

Yeah fuckin' right. I'm not incredibly likeable.

*Shrug*
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

I'm in the same uni situation. The bastards all abandon me (mostly) over the summer. Still, my flatmate is around 24/7 due to the fact that he lives nearby and doesn't like living with family (and works in the city) The other one stays in lester so i only see him during term time. Also, a lot of my friends from where i used to live still hang out every now and then, saying were not that far away.

I tend to hit it off with most people. Drunken stupidity hampers that a lot of the time. And i have no qualms of calling people ass-hats. This tends to piss some people off and keeps others around (who like that sort of person)

70%(ish)
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Well, I have had a total of one person I didn't think was a dickhead say they hated me, but of the people I hang out with, they seem to like my company enough... A few possible exceptions so I put 81-90, but typically when I realise I'm being a douche I stop. Usually that occured when someone tells me I'm wrong and I don't want to admit it, or I'm being kinda overconfident.

Sometimes I get the impression that the percentage would be significantly lower if the sample group was the users of the fora, but it can be kinda hard to judge anything over the internet so I ignore that impression. Also any actual research into that area seems pointless because we keep posting here without knowing how much we are liked. That's a little off topic though
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

Everyone loves me a million.

I am Ten Mortal Kings of Great.
хлэб и Воля

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

Most people like me because usually, I'm very perky and friendly. I give a lot of hugs.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
Do people like you?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAhHHAHHHAAHhaAHaaHaahHaAaaa...

Yeah fuckin' right. I'm not incredibly likeable.

*Shrug*

You liar.

Well, I'd say the people who really know me don't like me as much as love me, because they know I'd do anything for them. I have many very deep friendships because no matter how many times I've been burned or jaded, I still end up being extremely open and trusting with people.

As for people who don't know me, most like me because I'm outgoing, fairly uplifting, genuinely interested in people, and dammit, I think I'm kindof funny. Although I know I put off certain people because I also don't tolerate certain behaviors. So I said 80%. I actually do believe that to be about right.

Return to “General”