Perseids Reminder

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

quintopia

Perseids Reminder

Postby quintopia » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:57 am UTC

I didn't know where to post this, but just reminding you all that the Perseid Meteor Shower is peaking at 11:30am UTC (7:30am EDT, 4:30am PDT) tomorrow Aug. 12. So if you're about to hit the hay, remember to set your alarms!

ParanoidAndroid

Re: Perseids Reminder

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:04 am UTC

I've seen some awesome ones so far, but I live too close to downtown Suffolk to get a really good view. I would've gone out into the country if I was aware of it earlier and wasn't sick.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:12 am UTC

When can I see it from Australia (Sydney)? The websites seem conflicting...
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:34 am UTC

you can see it all night, peaks at what the first post said (figure out your time difference)

I saw some awesome ones about an hour ago (11:30 PST) very long, slow, and with a red/orange tip.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:10 am UTC

I didn't see a single one all night. I got up at 2am because that's when the moon set, and nothing. It was clear out for most of the night. Kinda disappointed. I was looking forward to it.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

Angstrom

Postby Angstrom » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

For some reason all the good ones that I saw happened between midnight and 2am (EDT). Then when nothing happened for a good 15 minutes at 2am we decided to leave.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:25 am UTC

For the next meteor shower, I'm getting a bunch of friends to go out to Smithfield (aka the official middle of nowhere) to watch. I was talking about it at my high school farewell party today. I was greeted with a combination of "Nerd!" (half jokingly) and "What? Why didn't you tell me beforehand!"

wirehead

Postby wirehead » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

So, last year, I tried to get some meteor shower pictures. Didn't get anything good on either camera.

This year, I said "fuck it" and didn't bother doing anything. I was doing some long exposure light paintings.

Saw a couple of really brilliant shooting stars even though the moon was out. Never where the camera was pointing, of course.

Damn meteor showers. :(

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:21 pm UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:For the next meteor shower, I'm getting a bunch of friends to go out to Smithfield (aka the official middle of nowhere) to watch. I was talking about it at my high school farewell party today. I was greeted with a combination of "Nerd!" (half jokingly) and "What? Why didn't you tell me beforehand!"

I'm guessing you mean Leonids? I'm planning the same thing (but with a different nowhere I guess). East coast is supposed to be good for Leonids, given the weather is good.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

As I found this topic, I figured there's no need to open a new one for this year. Just in case you guys like to plan your time days ahead - this year's peak is Aug 13th :)

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:25 am UTC

I can never really see meteor showers. I don't live in a very large city, but I guess there's still enough light pollution to drown most of them out.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:28 am UTC

Perseids. I wonder if that's the one I try to see each year, only to learn it's still too bright up here to make anything out; or the one I can see.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Well, you're definitely out of luck this year:
Notes: The International Meteor Organization calls the 2011 Perseids "hopelessly moonlit." This will render lackluster what is usually an impressive show.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:03 am UTC

jawdisorder wrote:Well, you're definitely out of luck this year:
Notes: The International Meteor Organization calls the 2011 Perseids "hopelessly moonlit." This will render lackluster what is usually an impressive show.

The problem up here isn't so much the moon as the sun.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 am UTC

I'm quite sure that if you had access to a place with technically no human source light pollution, you could be able to see a large part of 'em. :)

That (kind of) place could be anything. A dessert, mountain, perhaps even the countryside.

Sruixan

Postby Sruixan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:20 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:That (kind of) place could be anything. A dessert, mountain, perhaps even the countryside.
I'm honestly not sure quite how good a view I'd get from inside an apple crumble, but I'll take that advice into account...

From experience, light pollution isn't so much of a problem for any viewing here in the English countryside. It's the English bit that's problematic; namely, the chances of a clear sky... thanks for the reminder though, just in case...
This is, er, no offense but you are a robot, aren't you?
That's just, um, beautiful, beautiful beautiful... just beautiful.
One hot summer's night Lorraine said: "It's time for you to see the lighthouse"
Dr. Ivanovich, was it really necessary?

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

Got me there :lol: :wink:

Well, good luck. I'm sure you can find a fine spot. Somewhere, not anywhere. ;)
My plan is to go to a mountain isolated from light pollution, bring lotsa tea and (try to) enjoy a sky full of Perseids. I'm trying to have an optimistic attitude towards the possibility of seeing these beauties.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:I'm quite sure that if you had access to a place with technically no human source light pollution, you could be able to see a large part of 'em. :)

The sky literally doesn't go completely black this part of the year. You can hint some of the brighter stars, but it's just not even close to dark enough to see meteor showers. Getting away from artificial lights doesn't do any difference. Leonids is observable, though.

casoid

Postby casoid » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

Sruixan wrote:From experience, light pollution isn't so much of a problem for any viewing here in the English countryside. It's the English bit that's problematic; namely, the chances of a clear sky... thanks for the reminder though, just in case...

Light Pollution in the UK:
Spoiler:

Living in Dorset, Dartmoor or Exmoor are probably your best bet. I know Dartmoor is good at night, if you can get one of the few times every year where it isn't raining.

This concludes my helpful interlude.

Fighting Lettuce

Postby Fighting Lettuce » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

Yesterday I saw the strangest shooting star ever. It didn't just vanish, but kinda explode in an orange flash that lighted an area of the sky for a second. I was quite impressed.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

I managed to see 'em at a cca 15 per hour rate, on the nights of 10th, 11th and 12th Aug. Not quite astonishing, but at least I did see a few...

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:15 am UTC

I thought I might have seen a Perseid last night, I definitely did see a meteor, just one, and I resolved to look at a star chart later on to ascertain whether or not what I had seen *might* have been a Perseid. Having just done so now, I realize that not only was I looking in the wrong part of the sky -- the meteor I saw was in the western sky, maybe 45 degrees over the horizon, whereas Perseus, apparently, is right next to Cassiopeia, which puts it almost overhead in the northern sky -- but I think I've been getting Perseus and Hercules (at least the constellations) mixed up in my mind for like, years and years now. :P

Return to “General”