Questions For The World

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Menacing Spike

Re: Questions For The World

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:38 am UTC

poxic wrote:"mdr" is mort(e) de rire = dead of laughing,

Yes. It's less strong than rofl, more equivalent to "lol" (which is also used in french).
"rofl" <=> "ptdr" (exploded with laughter)

I don't know the Russian one.

It's equivalent to ":)"
Attachments
1332331630052.jpg

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:21 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:
emceng wrote:Ok, so in the US, houses are typically framed using 2x4s. I've heard in Canada, they typically use 2x6s, so there's more space for insulation. What about the rest of the world, with your crazy metric system and varied temperatures?

As far as I'm aware, you've heard wrong. All the framing I've seen done here used 2x4s as well, and then foam sheathing over that for added insulation. Might be a thing in the extreme north, though.

Building code in the United States is exterior walls use 2x6s, interior walls can use 2x4s. Walls with plumbing require 2x6s for 4" drain pipes.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:07 am UTC

gorcee wrote:
PhoenixEnigma wrote:
emceng wrote:Ok, so in the US, houses are typically framed using 2x4s. I've heard in Canada, they typically use 2x6s, so there's more space for insulation. What about the rest of the world, with your crazy metric system and varied temperatures?

As far as I'm aware, you've heard wrong. All the framing I've seen done here used 2x4s as well, and then foam sheathing over that for added insulation. Might be a thing in the extreme north, though.

Building code in the United States is exterior walls use 2x6s, interior walls can use 2x4s. Walls with plumbing require 2x6s for 4" drain pipes.

You say that like there's a single Building Code that applies to the entire US.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:36 am UTC

What do you mean, wooden wall frames?

... I wonder who started the idea of just sticking pipes and everything in between bricks, and pouring cement all over that. Granted, they don't need insulation in the tropics, but there's not much space to not screw up.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:55 am UTC

Steax wrote:What do you mean, wooden wall frames?
Framing. The parts that support the other parts that you actually look at, whether you're inside or outside the structure.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:40 am UTC

Um, yeah, that was a bit off the serious side of the scale. Most homes in tropical asia simply have brick walls with no frames, and they hope people survive in them. I guess it might be due to the humidity and termites here.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
gorcee wrote:
PhoenixEnigma wrote:

You say that like there's a single Building Code that applies to the entire US.

Forgive me for forgetting the word "typically". Nevertheless, most building codes in the US are based off of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... lding_Code.

Although states/municipalities can enact their own building codes, many use something derived off of IBC. Many local modifications have to do with historical locations, environmental prohibitions, or region specific requirements. It is mostly cost prohibitive these days for a municipality to develop and maintain its own code from scratch, although I am sure there are many municipalities that have legacy codes in place that have not been updated.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:10 pm UTC

Heh.. just a particular peeve of mine, representing the law of one state (or even a city within a state) as though it applied to the entire US.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:30 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Framing. The parts that support the other parts that you actually look at, whether you're inside or outside the structure.

This means, somewhat disturbingly, that the walls can be the easiest part of the house to break into (in areas that don't mandate stronger stuff), as you may simply be faced with siding, foam board, insulation, and drywall. A pair of metal shears and a knife will do.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

meridian

Postby meridian » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:32 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

This means, somewhat disturbingly, that the walls can be the easiest part of the house to break into (in areas that don't mandate stronger stuff), as you may simply be faced with siding, foam board, insulation, and drywall. A pair of metal shears and a knife will do.

Well, you also have to face the framing. I am familiar with them being 18" apart. While one could get through a space that narrow, tripping over the electrical laced through the walls, it would actually be a lot of work trying to get anything out of the house with you, unless you cut the framing too. Plus, there would be the noise and effort of moving all that siding, foam board, insulation, drywall and possibly using a saw on the studs.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:43 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

If you're that interested in getting in - Brick + Window = Entrance. Far less sound, mess, and trouble. There's reasons cops kick in doors and don't go through walls. It's easier, and doors are weaker points of entry than walls.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:25 pm UTC

meridian wrote:
bentheimmigrant wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

Well, you also have to face the framing. I am familiar with them being 18" apart. While one could get through a space that narrow, tripping over the electrical laced through the walls, it would actually be a lot of work trying to get anything out of the house with you, unless you cut the framing too. Plus, there would be the noise and effort of moving all that siding, foam board, insulation, drywall and possibly using a saw on the studs.

Well, once you're in the door is generally unlockable. I'm obviously not advocating breaking into people's houses, it's just one of those things that still strikes me as odd. The walls of my house are 2 foot thick stone.
SecondTalon wrote:If you're that interested in getting in - Brick + Window = Entrance. Far less sound, mess, and trouble. There's reasons cops kick in doors and don't go through walls. It's easier, and doors are weaker points of entry than walls.
Obviously it's faster. But again, it's the concept of it that gets me. It's fairly trivial to make it extremely difficult to break through a window or door, but you have to consider that your entire house could be an entry point.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:33 pm UTC

Well.... yes? For certain definitions of the word Entry Point. It's going to take more than a half hour to do it, and the person(s) doing it are going to have to be careful so as to not accidentally chop through a power cable as that might kill them, and it's going to be noisy as fuck.

I mean, if you know of a block of summer homes, sure. But a lot of those you could break into just by having a couple of guys all wearing orange hard hats, toolbelts, and carrying ladders and some building supplies, via the whole "They look official and seem to be working, I'll just ignore them" defense.

And really, at that point, it'll be easier to go through the window frame than anything else. No, not the special shatter-proof glass in the window. Rip the entire frame out of the wall. Glass is still unbroken, and you're inside.

It's like anything else on the planet - if someone really really wants in, they're getting in. Your only real defense is to make getting in so time consuming that it's impossible not in that they cannot make progress, but that in they'll be caught before they're done.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:32 pm UTC

ITT: The Rest of the World thinks that Americans are nothing but a bunch of criminals looking for ways to break into houses.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:52 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:ITT: The Rest of the World thinks that Americans are nothing but a bunch of criminals looking for ways to break into houses.

That's okay, my house doesn't have oil!

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:55 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Well.... yes? For certain definitions of the word Entry Point. It's going to take more than a half hour to do it, and the person(s) doing it are going to have to be careful so as to not accidentally chop through a power cable as that might kill them, and it's going to be noisy as fuck.

Also, at this point, standing in front of the house picking the front door is less suspicious.

And faster and quieter.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:03 pm UTC

I don't really see how it would taken more than 5 minutes, and it wouldn't really be loud. But it's not like we're going to go out and test these things so it's all just speculation.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:06 pm UTC

Right... speculation... yeah.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:13 pm UTC

<.<

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:34 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:I don't really see how it would taken more than 5 minutes, and it wouldn't really be loud. But it's not like we're going to go out and test these things so it's all just speculation.

To do it in less than 5 minutes, it's going to be loud as hell, because you're either using a sledgehammer to bash it down (and ever blow will make the whole house shudder enough to alert occupants, unless it's a giant mansion or something, I guess), or something like a chainsaw to saw it out.

No one inside will be unaware of what's going on, and the neighbors will also be pretty much clued in that something is going down.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:05 pm UTC

?

In my hypothetical case, all the wall materials are easily cut with basic hand tools. I don't know specific building codes in the states; I can only rely on my own anecdotal evidence of these being used in one particular area over there.

iChef

Postby iChef » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:29 pm UTC

If you are talking about cutting an exterior wall you need a lot more than some small hand tools. You are going through siding (either aluminium, wood or vinyl) then thin insulation under that, followed by the wall boards, then the framing, more insulation and drywall on the other side. You could do it with hand tools if you have all night. If noise isn't an issue a circular saw or a sawz-all would be my weapon of choice. Again make sure you don't get lucky and find a electric, gas or water line.

A question for the world. What is the impression people from outside the United States (or from a different region of the US) have of the US state of Michigan. When I was in California everyone thought I was probably some backwoods machine gun and compound bow touting right wing maniac like Ted Nugent (who is from Michigan). When people get that idea I usually remind then that Detroit is in Michigan too and they usually throw their wallet at me and run away :sigh:.

I tried to explain to a 17 year old kid in South Carolina where Michigan was and he couldn't tell if I lived in Canada or the US, after about 15 minutes of explaining I gave up. There is the US geography education at work..... So anyway what is everyone's thoughts on the mitten state? (hint it's that place between Detroit and Chicago and I don't live in Canada).
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:40 pm UTC

iChef wrote: You are going through siding (either aluminium, wood or vinyl)

Or brick, for that matter. Brick homes are *really* common locally.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:45 pm UTC

iChef wrote:IA question for the world. What is the impression people from outside the United States (or from a different region of the US) have of the US state of Michigan. When I was in California everyone thought I was probably some backwoods machine gun and compound bow touting right wing maniac like Ted Nugent (who is from Michigan).

Michi-what?

Detroit

Lots of black people mugging each other.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:45 pm UTC

Or stucco, or wooden planks, or (sometimes) concrete.

edit: Mugging each other.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:00 am UTC

On Michigan: I am aware it exists as a state in the USA. I think I even know where it is? (It's the one that's on that big body of water, near Canada, sorta in two parts?)
That is all.
I have no preconceptions about what Michigan or its people are like. It is basically just a word to me.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:09 am UTC

I'm similar to Simone, my main knowledge of Michigan is 'between all those lakes, and with that funny extra bit at the top near Wisconsin/Canada'. I assume, but have no knowledge other than my knowledge of that vague area, that it's mostly a mix of farmland and forest. Not being a southern state (or Utah) gets it the classification of 'probably not crazy', too.

I never remember that Detroit is in Michigan, but the wretched hive of scum and villainy thing is the only thing I really know about it. And it has a lot of motor industry stuff. Presumably staffed by hardened criminals.
Last edited by Adacore on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:46 pm UTC

My perception of Michigan is probably pretty close to what it is: lots of urban centers with substantial urban depression surrounded by fairly standard suburbs and exurbs, with large pockets of rural and woodsy areas in between. I figure the people range from urban thugs to lake-shore snobbery to bread and butter suburbanites to crazy woodmen with guns and Jesus.

Also, Tim Thomas is from Michigan, and though I question his politics, he's basically the biggest badass on the block.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:41 pm UTC

I'm from Wisconsin and generally assume the lower peninsula is fairly similar, the backwoods maniac assumption for the UP would be about right though.

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:49 pm UTC

Like others who are not from the US, I don't particularly think anything about Michigan; I know where it is but I couln't name a single city.

dhokarena56

Postby dhokarena56 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:42 pm UTC

What about Pennsylvania? Ring any bells for non-Americans?
Come join Dadapedia- the open-source Dadaist novel that anyone can edit.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:28 pm UTC

Well I tend to be doing well if people know it's not where Dracula is from, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say generally no...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:32 pm UTC

To be fair, the Dracula thing has only come up from school age kids for me. A more common mistake is thinking Philly is a state.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:35 pm UTC

Yea, I've not had the Dracula thing seriously in a few years now if I'm being fair. Though it's still common for people to reference Transylvania, because they don't know anything at all about Pennsylvania and well, they sound practically the same, right?
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:57 pm UTC

dhokarena56 wrote:What about Pennsylvania? Ring any bells for non-Americans?

It's where the cheese steak comes from.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:37 pm UTC

Grop wrote:Like others who are not from the US, I don't particularly think anything about Michigan; I know where it is but I couln't name a single city.

Shit, I'm from the US and it's "one of those countries by the Great Lakes." The only reason I can distinguish it from the others is because Detroit is there.

At least, I hope I can find it!
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:24 pm UTC

dhokarena56 wrote:What about Pennsylvania? Ring any bells for non-Americans?

I've been there! 12 years ago, so I don't remember much ...

But I do know it's one of the first states of the US, so there's a lot of stuff there that relates to the early years. Was Philadelphia the first capital or am I remembering that ridiculously wrong?

*checks*

Well, it was *a* capital, so I was pretty close.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:54 pm UTC

Pennsylvania. North-Eastern (I pretty much group New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and both Virginias into the same 'bloc' when I think of US geography). Heavy industry, coal mining and steelmaking, some big cities (Pittsburg/Philly), and isn't Penn State quite a big college football team?

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Pennsylvania. North-Eastern (I pretty much group New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and both Virginias into the same 'bloc' when I think of US geography). Heavy industry, coal mining and steelmaking, some big cities (Pittsburg/Philly), and isn't Penn State quite a big college football team?

It was until the butt-sex happened.

dhokarena56

Postby dhokarena56 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:03 am UTC

It really does not help that the Penn State mascot has an uncanny resemblance to Pedobear.
Come join Dadapedia- the open-source Dadaist novel that anyone can edit.

Return to “General”