Questions For The World

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Re: Questions For The World

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Question for the people who are no longer living with their parents: how often do you talk to them, and how far do you live.

I live ~150 miles from them, speak to my mum about once a week, my dad probably more like once a fortnight. They're separated, but still live reasonably close to each other, and I visit about once a month.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

I live about 1,000 miles from my Mom, and about 1,200 miles from my Dad. They live a little over 200 miles from each other. Their close but no cigar locations make it kinda awkward to visit them. My visiting frequency is erratic, from as often as once a year to as rarely as once every four years.

I do a much better job of talking to my mother than to my father, even though my dad and I actually recommend each other books to read with the express purpose of being able to talk about them. I probably talk to my dad once a month, and my mom about once every other day. I talk to my mom a lot. We almost never talk for less than 20 minutes, and we often talk about the minutia of our days. My mom is my Facebook friend, reads my LJ posts and sees a fair number of pictures that I take. My dad only gets electronic communication from me when I email him, and I often forget to forward my LJ book reviews to him. When I was away for college, and when I lived in the the same city as both of my parents directly after college, and when I lived far away while I was in graduate school, I talked to my parents fairly rarely on the phone: maybe twice a month for my mom, once a month for my dad? While I've lived in Chicago, my mom and I have gone through stretches where I talked to her almost every single day, when she really needed the support.
Last edited by Enuja on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

tms

Postby tms » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

I live a half an hours walk away from my parents, and visit them about twice a month. I talk to my mother once every week or two.
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

487 miles or so away from my parents, but I talk to them once a week and visit twice a year (usually for a couple of weeks each)

roband

Postby roband » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

I live 10 miles from my mum and step-dad, it kinda ends up that I don't talk to her or go round unless she calls me.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

I didn't think I actually had a good relationship with my mom - it's really nice to hear that I talk to her a lot more frequently than other people do. Means the work we've both been putting in has been paying off- woo!
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

roband

Postby roband » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

I rarely talk to your mother.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

I talk to her all the time.

HEY-OOOOOOOO
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Are you allowed to HEY-OOO yourself? Damn, I was under the impression you had to let someone else do it for you.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

roband wrote:Are you allowed to HEY-OOO yourself? Damn, I was under the impression you had to let someone else do it for you.

Pre-emptive HEY-OOO strike!

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

Nah, you can totally do it for yourself. Just make sure it's a good one.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

I live a couple of km from my parents. I usually visit them at least once a week, specially sundays, since sundays are barbecue day!

Important: not the puny USA barbecue, but this (spoilerd for big images):

Spoiler:

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Puny US bbq? Have you been to the USA?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

roband

Postby roband » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Important: not the puny USA barbecue, but this (spoilerd for big images):

Spoiler:

South Africa?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Important: not the puny USA barbecue, but this (spoilerd for big images):
The only way this statement with those pictures makes any sense whatsoever is..

1. Good natured ribbing

2. You have no idea what you're talking about
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Yeah, Americans don't really go in for that puny skewer stuff. We most just put whole sides of a cow or pig onto a grill:

Spoiler:

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

firechicago wrote:Yeah, Americans don't really go in for that puny skewer stuff. We most just put whole sides of a cow or pig onto a grill:

Spoiler:

Damn it, now I want to eat ribs.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Ok, I admit I was mostly trolling just to annoy 'muricans.

Seriously now, the main difference from the USA version actually is how/where it's done. The meat is roasted, not grilled, using big metal skewers to keep it suspended over the fire.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:41 am UTC

American barbecue doesn't use direct heat. American grilling does.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:20 am UTC

I was going to say, since *when* do we fucking grill our barbecue? That isn't what I was eating when I lived in Texas.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

roband

Postby roband » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:16 am UTC

To be honest, the confusion comes from how American family gatherings are portrayed in popular TV shows, etc.

An English/Aussie/whatever family will get together and have a BBQ. Meat over charcoal kinda thing.
TV shows us that American families don't do this, they GRILL. And get a bit excited because they're outside, doing something you could do inside.

I didn't know Americans actually barbecue. I suppose I imagine that they would, but I've never seen it.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Yeah, the only form of "barbeque" that gets portrayed is the grilling, so that's what most people picture when talking about american barbeque.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

roband wrote:To be honest, the confusion comes from how American family gatherings are portrayed in popular TV shows, etc.

An English/Aussie/whatever family will get together and have a BBQ. Meat over charcoal kinda thing.
TV shows us that American families don't do this, they GRILL. And get a bit excited because they're outside, doing something you could do inside.

I didn't know Americans actually barbecue. I suppose I imagine that they would, but I've never seen it.

Yeah, part of the problem is word usage as well. Lots of people say they're having a barbeque, or have a party where they're barbequeing. When in reality, they are just putting food on a grill. Which isn't bad, I have a grill, and really like it.

Then there is 'real' barbeque. Many people, especially in the south, do a true bbq, with indirect slow heating. There are competitions, and arguements over dry or wet ribs, KC versus Texas bbq, etc. Basically, we make lots of tasty meat foods.

http://basicinstructions.net/basic-inst ... ument.html

Edit: and on the TV thing - grilling is visually engaging. Someone is standing in front of a grill, flipping meats, poking at things, and flailing a set of tongs. BBQ involves sitting around drinking beer while your meat cooks. That's likely why it is not shown on TV.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

roband

Postby roband » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

See, that's another difference. We BBQ, but we flip and poke and prod.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

Wait, so is American barbeque the one where they bury things with hot coals and embers? Because I know that as a hāngi.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

roband wrote:See, that's another difference. We BBQ, but we flip and poke and prod.

As I said, the terminology is ambiguous. Even in the US.

Using a device like this is commonly called Barbequing in the English Speaking World outside of the US, universally called Grilling within the US... and sometimes called Barbequing in the US.

If the victim can be proven to have called it Barbequing in the Southeast US, the murder charge will be dismissed as justifiable homicide.

Barbequing in the South is using a device like this, where the fire is in the lower cylinder and the heat moves through the device, indirectly affecting the meat.

Grilling usually takes less than two hours. Barbequing in the South rarely takes fewer than two hours, can take upwards of 12+ hours. It's honestly closer to Smoking than anything, but it's still not the same as smoking as it's done hotter and there's often more poking and prodding of the things being prepared along the way. It's.. pretty much it's own thing.

And.. uh.. no, it doesn't involve burying. There are pits that can be dug, but nothing is covered. Hot coals are used, but at a distance from the items being prepared, not against.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

I thought Americans were also fond of "grilling", which I'd describe as cooking on metal.. plates(?) heated by gas tanks.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

... who the fuck does that outside of a fast food / Japanese Hibachi joint?

Or do you mean something like a griddle? Those exist (though I only just now remembered that I own one) but the amount of usage is going to vary by family to family group and/or person to person. Maybe a bit more common than a wok, but not by much. At least, around here. Mostly because "why use a griddle when you have a cast-iron frying pan?"
Last edited by SecondTalon on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:53 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

People in America, according to the education provided by TV in my youth...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

Yeah, and according to TV high schoolers have 20 minutes of class and 6 hours and 40 minutes of standing around in halls to chat with friends. And then they go hang out a the juice bar.

Are juice bars even a fucking thing? I mean, I've never seen one, but I also live in Kentucky so it's entirely possible that is a very real Southern California thing I'm completely unaware of.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Again, I can only assume.

Also, I had every reason to believe American TV was realistic. UK folk can back me up that Byker Grove was totally on point with real life.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Sort of? Depends what you mean by juice bar. If you mean a place that's basically a club or bar but only serves non-alcoholic juice things, then no, I've never seen one. If you just mean, like, a smoothie place, then Jamba Juice is pretty damn delicious, but is primarily based in California.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

roband wrote:Again, I can only assume.

Also, I had every reason to believe American TV was realistic. UK folk can back me up that Byker Grove was totally on point with real life.
Problem - People say America (in reference to the US) when they should say a specific state or region (as they are referencing a specific American subculture)

It does help to explain why so many Americans say Europe and try to talk about the universal European culture - because we live in a space about the same size as Europe that has a unified culture. We also have subcultures that start at Region level and go all the way down to Neighborhood level (Louisville-specific, The Highlands are College-age Potheads, Germantown is where they buy their first house if they're staying potheads, PRP is where the White Trash live, etc. Germantown culture is similar to but different from Smoketown culture, both of which are completely different from Jeffersontown culture)

Europeans start at what we'd use as State Level culture and work down from there. While they do reference things similar to our Regional culture (Scandinavia, Balkan) it's rarer, and it's uncommon to hear a European speaking of European culture as a whole, unless making a specific point as to how all of the European Countries do X to the USA's Y.

So yeah, my TV experience was likely not dissimilar from yours in that I'd turn the TV on and see shit taking place that I'd never see in real life. Difference is you had an ocean separating you from where the events were supposedly happening, I just had a few states.

Then again, things like this are just now making the rounds on the internet when that's the sort of thing I tried to talk my dad into letting me do in the late 80s to his wisely saying "I did that as a kid and it was fun until Tom got hurt so.... no. You can't"

And for the record, operating a piece of equipment like that is exactly as fun as it looks. Which is to say, if it looks boring, you'd be bored. If it looks fucking AWESOME, you're gonna have a good time.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

Sure, but as a kid, did I know that Kenan & Kel was set in Chicago? No way.
I knew the Fresh Prince was set in some place in Bel Air, but I had no idea where that was.
Saved by the Bell? I'd guess California, but I'm guessing now and I certainly didn't know then.

And yes, it looks awesome.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

Regional nomenclature question. Would you call this:

img_1966_240.jpg
img_1966_240.jpg (38.74 KiB) Viewed 4779 times

a breakfast taco? I'm in Texas and lots of people call these 'tacos", even though "burrito" seems more accurate.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

roband

Postby roband » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

Breakfast wrap, in England.

The salsa leans towards the mexican feel, but it'd still just be a 'wrap'.

As for my understanding of taco vs burrito, in my head burritos are completely wrapped up with no view of the inside.
But I suppose this is what happens when you cut one in half... Hmm. But in this image, it doesn't appear to be cut in half.

In the UK, too, a "taco" is the hard shell, like this: http://www.oldelpaso.co.uk/~/media/Imag ... hells.ashx

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Yeah, I've always understood "taco" to be stuff in a hard shell and "burrito" to be a soft tortilla wrapped around ingredients (with ends open or closed).
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

roband

Postby roband » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

Oh, also, burritos have rice in them already. Again, in my head.

That, of course, could vary with a breakfast burrito. But I dunno.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

Breakfast Burrito, because it's wrapped up. A breakfast taco would just be a simple fold.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

The difference comes down to the overlap!?

Mexican food is complicated

Return to “General”