Who owns a suit?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Who owns a suit?

I do!
76%
I don't!
15%
I'm a girl and refuse to wear suits!
3%
I have an otter/duck instead!
6%

Total votes: 198

mrbaggins

Who owns a suit?

Postby mrbaggins » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:27 am UTC

Who owns a suit?

I DO!

I bought a suit this evening. Black 100% wool ensemble, bought a dark purple shirt with it, a silver tie with black on it, a black tie with silver on it (both silk), a new belt and a pair of Redback leather shoes. ~$600 AU total.

Needless to say, my paycheck isn't saving so much this week :P

But I have a suit! And I look absolutely smashing with it. Need to find a cane tomorrow, and a top hat if possible. My head was too big for all the cool little pimping hats I could find.

Edit: The girl option in the poll is for girls who refuse to wear suits, not for all girls.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Grooving Tony

Re: Who owns a suit?

Postby Grooving Tony » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:31 am UTC

i don't have a proper suit but i have a waist coat and trilby hat so that is smart enough for anything i need to go to :P.
It's turtles all the way down
Panda
BHCM
protect the flag
snuggles
Jahoclave wrote:Tip: Shotgun, they could be a zombie. Remember, you're the first step in preventing the zombie apocalypse.

poleboy

Postby poleboy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:32 am UTC

I've had several, but the only one I currently own is a purple velvet suit from the 70's, complete with flare pants. So pimp... I bought it in a retro clothes shop in London like... ten years ago, at least.
I have a white suit jacket too, but it doesn't really count.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:34 am UTC

I have a suit...sort of.

I bought a sport jacket at Men's Wearhouse near work for only $99. It was marked down from $199, and is made of wool silk cashmere. I've got two pairs of black slacks I bought at Wal-Mart, as well as two white short-sleeve dress shirts and a black clip-on tie.

When I went to Men's Wearhouse they wanted to sell me all sorts of other crap I didn't need: dress shirts, ties, shoes, pants, and dress socks. I bought it all, but took it all back the next day for a refund. The sport jacket was being tailored so of course I kept that. Everything else went back. They sold me all the stuff after doing some spiel about which shirt to wear to the first interview, second interview, and third interview. They were telling me to wear this tie, that tie, then that tie, the red tie, "your power tie," when I go in to negotiate salary and all that bullshit. I figured I didn't need all that, so I took it back the next day. Only wore the sport jacket once to an interview. I didn't take the job - turned out to be more of a sales job.
PRG

An important message for you:

rawrbomb101

Postby rawrbomb101 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:33 am UTC

I have a friends birthday party coming up in a few weeks and she's said that it's supposed to be completely formal.
So suit, tophat and cane, the whole shebang. Now I can't wait for this party... only problem is that we're 15... :p
formal party at 15? This could get very interesting

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:45 am UTC

I should say I -had- a suit, from my school formals.... I did barely still fit into it int year 12, but not any more. I need to get a new one, but I really hate shopping, especially for clothes.

joff

Postby joff » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:58 am UTC

I've got one - hardly ever get the chance to wear it these days, despite being technically a 'consultant', my company is all very casual...

mostly_true_comics wrote:...we're forgetting about the geopolitical ramifications of such an incursion. If you think the Morloks, Molemen, and Lord Kinbote are going to sit still while you tunnel through their territory, think again.

28/♂/hetero/NZ

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:06 pm UTC

I want a suit, but haven't acutally ...obtained... one yet. Give me time, and somewhere to wear it.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

I have a suit, found it in the very back rail of a second hand shop for about €15..

I don't have an otter / duck... but I do have CHICKENS.
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:01 pm UTC

I had one but now have no idea where it is.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

doc leech

Postby doc leech » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

Have a number of suits, and I love wearing them & looking good... but I don't think I could ever get on board with the whole cane and top hat look. To me, that almost always pushes a snazzy suit right into the crapper.

Just sayin'.

but oh god how I would love it if canes were required at work... that'd be a riot! monocles, too
Float like a float-bot, sting like an automatic stinging machine

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

Guy in a sharply tailored suit with a slightly unbuttoned shirt = hot. Add a trilby in there for more hawt.

I have blazers which I team with white shirts and pencil skirts, for formal, job interview occasions, but i don't own a proper suit. And even if i did, i'd be trying to make it look like some sort of
70's bohemian ensemble.
i dare you to take me on...

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

Three. Two black, and one white. One is a general suit, suitable for semi-formal affairs, office jobs etc, one is a rather nice suit for special occasions (which I bought for my graduation) and one is white. For when I want to go pimping, or take too much acid and start thinking its the 1970s and I have a disco to attend.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

doc leech

Postby doc leech » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

tin wrote:Guy in a sharply tailored suit with a slightly unbuttoned shirt = hot. Add a trilby in there for more hawt.

I have blazers which I team with white shirts and pencil skirts, for formal, job interview occasions, but i don't own a proper suit. And even if i did, i'd be trying to make it look like some sort of
70's bohemian ensemble.

I'm liking this! I've got a new 70's-looking work shirt that I have yet to wear and I'm dying to find the pants to match. I'm all about the 70's yellows and browns (god that sounds ugly in text)

For when I do find the right pair, here's were I'm going to get the shoes: http://www.dressthatman.com/

Straight funk!

edit: yikes, that sites' shoe selection shrunk at some point...

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

I own two, one black, one dark gray, but they barely fit since I've put on like 50 lbs since I got them. :( Shame, too, since I look awesome in a suit.

That said, you made a mistake in buying a black suit as your only suit. If you only own one suit, it should be gray since black is too formal for the vast majority of occasions. (Generally, suits should be purchased gray, then black, then other depending on what looks good on you - blue, tan, and olive are all acceptable; white if you are black since white guys very, very rarely look good in a white suit, sadly).

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

Being on debate team necessitates a suit, four collared shirts, and countless ties.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

I have two coats, several pairs of slacks and ~4-5 buttoned shirts which can be combined to create vaguely suit-like outfits

however, because my only tie is a Jerry Garcia and two of my shirts look like they could have been influenced by the same quantity of LSD as the the tie, most of my suit-like outfits look very 60s-70s.

Once upon a time I had an old school loooooooooong, thin tie and I could look relatively fashionable (if out-dated) but those days are long gone.

next year, I plan on getting a real suit though, because hopefully a year after that I will be graduating college and will actually need a good looking suit.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

I bought a suit for my sister's wedding, which was about a week ago. I was lookin' good. Wish i had a picture.

doc leech

Postby doc leech » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Also, for the women... please don't refuse to wear suits! At least pantsuits (or skirtsuits, or whatever they're called). For many reasons that I won't go into here and now, those are one hell of a turn on. RAAWWRR!!!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

I have a suit I bought for interviews as a guy.
I don't wear it anymore, but I have it because it'll make a good costume piece one day.

I have a few feminine suitjackets and button up shirts as well.

I don't wear suits often as I don't like them. Stuffy things.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Sykotic1189

Postby Sykotic1189 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

Bought myself a general purpose $200 suit not long ago. Wore it to prom, graduation, and that's about it. Not bad though, I can take it out whenever I feel like looking good
Good times?

I'm not paranoid, I sleep with a 14'' boot knife for other reasons.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

I own a kilt for formal occasions.

I need to get a half decent suit at some point in the next 2 years...
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

I have 2-3 suits. One is a chocolate brown suit, about $300 (jacket + pants), that I wear at really formal or nice occasions like weddings. It happens to be my favorite suit, and I think I look damn good in it. Another is a charcoal grey suit, about $200 (jacket + pants), that I wear for work when I need to go to an important meeting. (A third is an old plain black one that I wore for nearly a decade, so I've retired it.)

Both of the suits I still wear are ones I got from Men's Wearhouse. I've always had a really good experience whenever I've gone there. The one near where I live keeps things really simple--I literally just said what I was looking for and the price range, and inside of 2 minutes I was already trying something on. They also didn't try and sell me anything on top of what I already needed, aside from a little bit of tailoring (which was no additional charge, I think). KF
~Kizyr

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

I own two suits and a blazer, all given to me by my dad (he says the closet must have shrunk 'em). Blazer is navy blue; both suits have grey pinstripes (one is dark blue, one is black). I like the black one better.

Malsies

Postby Malsies » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

I don't have a suit. Since my budget restricts me to shopping mostly at Goodwill, and since I'm smaller than most women my age, I can never find a suit jacket that fits me correctly. I wish I had one. Though, honestly, I don't know what occasion I would have to wear it.

I do have a monocle, though.
I slice, I dice, and I fit comfortably into your pocket or glove-box!

(Order in the next ten minutes, and get a second for FREE!)

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:04 pm UTC

I have a suit! It is very nice and smart and fancy! Only problem is that I look like a zombie in every photo taken with me in it.
Jesus Christ you have confused me

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:57 am UTC

rawrbomb101 wrote:I have a friends birthday party coming up in a few weeks and she's said that it's supposed to be completely formal.
So suit, tophat and cane, the whole shebang. Now I can't wait for this party... only problem is that we're 15... :p
formal party at 15? This could get very interesting

These are by far the best!
I remember me and my friend went to a party like this wearing really outlandish clothes (I had tight tartan trousers).
But yeah, I own a suit, it is black velvet with gold pinstripes. It has served me well for a fair few outings.

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:04 am UTC

Yeah, I own a suit.

Spoiler:

I happen to like wearing suits. I'm weird like that.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:05 am UTC

*raises hand*

I have one! I don't wear it much (no real reason to, really), but it's not uncomfortable to wear, thank <diety>. And I like the way I feel when I'm dressed up. ^_^

*XD @Runs from Okita*

(Grr...I went to edit this and hit quote instead.)
Insert witty phrase here.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:07 am UTC

Okita wrote:Yeah, I own a suit.
I happen to like wearing suits. I'm weird like that.

Where does the tail go? Do you get a European cut for the jacket and cut a hole in the slacks, or what? KF
~Kizyr

rockin2the70s

Postby rockin2the70s » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:03 am UTC

I had a kind of generic coat that had black, blue, gray, and olive bits in it (it was wool) along with a pair of black pants and a couple ties. I decided it was time to get a new one. My newer one is black with thin black pinstripes with a matching pair of slacks. I also got a couple new ties and a couple shirts, two blue and a burnt orange one. The orange one looks badass with the pinstripes and a plain black tie, even more without a tie at all.

I've looked on several occasions for a trilby or fedora that fit and had reasonably matching pinstripes, but I just can't seem to find one.
Why are we here?
Because we're here, roll the bones.
Why does it happen?
Because it happens, roll the bones.
-Rush

protocoach

Postby protocoach » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:40 am UTC

I own a suit. Purely for necessary events - funerals and weddings. I hate wearing suits. Long torso and stumpy legs plus a heavy build means that suits don't work well on me. I'm a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops guy.
If I were a Viking god, I don't think I would fall for that.
But if I were a Viking, that's exactly what I would do.

How can you study geometry and not believe in a God?
A God of perfect points and planes,
Surrounded by arch-angels and right angles

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:10 am UTC

I have a suit, which I purchased for the formal, and is now too small for me.

Luckily, I shall get a new, even snazzier one, for the next formal. Wheee!
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:11 pm UTC

I'm a girl and I insist on wearing suits. With ties.

Take that society.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:21 pm UTC

I have a suit. From graduation. I bought it second hand. I don't know where it is.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:I have a suit, which I purchased for the formal, and is now too small for me.

Snazzy suit, eh? A suggestion, given your new avatar:
Spoiler:
Ignore the fact it's modelled on the 'Joel Schumacher one'
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

I have a suit. I would like a new one, though, that goes with my shoes, and so that I can go to conferences and wear a different suit on a different day, making me look extremely professional. I also have a formal dinner suit (black tie thing) which does go with my shoes and I highly enjoy wearing it at every opportunity I get.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
michaelandjimi wrote:I have a suit, which I purchased for the formal, and is now too small for me.

Snazzy suit, eh? A suggestion, given your new avatar:
Spoiler:
http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/27/two_face.jpg
Ignore the fact it's modelled on the 'Joel Schumacher one'
I highly approve. But the man is scary. His face is... plastic.

Do I have to get the man with the suit?
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

I do. An entire closet full of them. And I want to burn them all, because I have to wear them to work every, single day.

It's a pity that they make me dress uncomfortably, because otherwise, I love my job.

The one suit that I DO like is my Miami Vice leisure suit. I even have the pastel blue polo and wicker sandals to go with it.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Yes. Only worn it once (in the shop- for size). It's for school. 350 euros. Plain black, and with my mean looking sunglasses I look quite scary. I just need a violin case as a schoolbag...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Return to “General”