Reaction time

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Draverd

Reaction time

Postby Draverd » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:59 am UTC

I am uncertain as to where I should post this, so I will post it here in general discussion.

I am in need of some assistance of finding a way to measure my reaction time accurately. The reason I am asking is because I have been doing something a lot more lately, in the last couple of months (Playing Stepmania on the fastest speed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZrbWMzMluY). And, I have noticed that I am starting to react more quickly.

I have been using an online flash application called fetchfidos reaction test. To try and determine how fast I am reacting. Although I think it is not that accurate, it is the only thing I have for the moment. The best time that I got on there was point one four. So could any of you tell me what I need to do, to judge how fast I am reacting to an accurate extent?

On a side note, the songs on Stepmania are becoming easier for me lately, so I have been increasing the rate of the song/level. The most challenging song I have found so far is called the vampire saga, in case anyone is curious.
"Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back."

"Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative." G.K. Chesterton

Avelion

Re: Reaction time

Postby Avelion » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:18 am UTC

Have a friend hold a ruler an inch over your open hand and drop it. Note what measurement is above your hand when you catch it.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:23 am UTC

You got a .14 on that thing? The lowest I got was like, a .21... I'd say your reaction time isn't too bad.

Draverd

Postby Draverd » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:13 am UTC

Have a friend hold a ruler an inch over your open hand and drop it. Note what measurement is above your hand when you catch it.

Ok I will try that the next time I see them. How would you measure it with the ruler though? Say I manage to stop at about an inch (if not sooner). How would you interpret my reaction from one inch?

Well anyways since the songs on that game are becoming easier after each time I play, I have decided to make my own challenging song/level. I have yet to finish the course. But, here is a sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2UxRgd5KRo

I started a couple of weeks ago. I have yet to finish because I am really busy with college x_x
"Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back."

"Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative." G.K. Chesterton

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:15 am UTC

Distance/time. Anyway thought you just wanted to measure progress which is easier.
Last edited by Avelion on Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

DesperatMezures

Postby DesperatMezures » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Ah, Stepmania. I remember my glory days in that game...
Have you ever tried the keyboard megapacks? ArchOWL had made one, and several community packs have been released. Locating them may require significant amounts of google-fu, though, many of the hosts for them are down.

As for your original post on reaction time, I can say that I've never gotten good enough to lay at C700 and do well, but I'm much more accurate when I play at 1x as compared to 2 or 3x. Not sure why, though.

If you're truly unable to find the keyboard megapacks, PM me, and I'll see what I can do about possibly hosting them somewhere. In total, there's several hundred songs, enough to keep one busy for quite some time.
OLEANA, PUT SOME JELJEL ON MY WUUD TO MAKE IT YOOJ SO I CAN GO BAVOOM!

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:57 am UTC

DesperatMezures wrote:ArchOWL

lol

Return to “General”