Stupid People Stories Thread

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:12 am UTC

Hmmm. The smug sense of superiority here makes me rather uncomfortable.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

curiositykills
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:35 pm UTC

QFT

Postby curiositykills » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:40 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Hmmm. The smug sense of superiority here makes me rather uncomfortable.


<3

User avatar
sethicus
Winner
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:58 pm UTC
Location: Dela-WHERE?
Contact:

Re:

Postby sethicus » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:52 am UTC

Belial wrote:
I once spent 20 minutes trying to convince a girl that beef comes from cows.


I have a hindu friend (not indian, quite caucasian actually, but he was raised all over that area, because his mom is some sort of diplomat). Ergo, he doesn't eat beef.

We had to talk him down from eating veal, once, because he was convinced it was deer.

We've spent all the time since tricking him into almost eating things, then informing him (quite truthfully) at the last second that it's beef and that he should really be able to identify it by now.



I thought raptors only ate beef if human flesh wasn't available....
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:54 am UTC

I often confuse veal with venison, too.

Isn't there a difference between blatant stupidity and basic human error?
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

User avatar
sethicus
Winner
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:58 pm UTC
Location: Dela-WHERE?
Contact:

Re:

Postby sethicus » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:23 am UTC

warriorness wrote:blah. blah. blah. My brother makes a fool of me and i do nothing. blah.


there's a simple solution to this. in fact, i did it to my brother, but he was older. HIT HIM WITH THE CAR! nothing gets the point across like an example.
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

User avatar
rxninja
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:16 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby rxninja » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:26 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Hmmm. The smug sense of superiority here makes me rather uncomfortable.


It's a thread called "Stupid People Stories Thread." I don't mean to be overly blunt or rude, but did you expect anything else? If anyone is telling a story about someone that they believe to stupid, their belief that the other is stupid naturally assumes that they themselves are better than the other. The superiority is somewhat inherent in the system of telling stories about "stupid" people, and thereby also the thread.

If you mean about my talk of not-news "news" and white trash, well..I'm not afraid to say that I think I'm better than white trash and that I think rubix cubes are not news-worthy. I put myself on the "better than white trash" scale because I'm aiming to make the world a better place (I'm going to college with the intent of working on research and public policy regarding criminology and working to reduce urban violent crime) where "white trash" exists passively, usually with no goals and sometimes with blatant disregard for human compassion, environmental awareness, and common decency.

If you weren't talking about me, disregard that last paragraph and carry on as usual.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I miss a lot of people, too. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

sophyturtle wrote:I think nudity is the solution for everything...

User avatar
BrotherPower
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:09 pm UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby BrotherPower » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:49 am UTC

Pretty much all four years of high school I felt like Jane Goodall(Yeah, I'm pretty elitist). Now I just kind of feel like Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes, most of the time.

Anyway, my experience with stupid people in high school alone could fill an encyclopedia. Here's a few anecdotes that immediately jump to mind, though:

Generic Student: Jello is weird. Did you ever notice how it melts when it's in your mouth but not when it's out in the open?
Me: Average room temperature is much lower than 98.6 degrees.
Generic Student: Oh, yeah, but still...

*While in French class*
Generic student asks teacher: Do people in France speak English in their heads and then translate it to French when they speak? (Obviously, this isn't impossible if a person knows both languages, but she was basically asking if people who don't know English still internally monologue in English.)

Generic Student asks teacher: What's the difference between a Cantaloupe and an Antelope?

Generic Student asks me: Why do you workout so much? There's always going to be someone stronger. (I was going to say, "By that logic, what's the point of striving for anything? Someone will always be better than you." However, this was a guy who religiously took off every Friday because he liked three day weekends and, essentially, "rented" other people's finished homework so he could copy them and catch up. He may very well have answered, "There isn't any point.")

User avatar
Akula
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:55 pm UTC
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Akula » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:25 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Hmmm. The smug sense of superiority here makes me rather uncomfortable.


You don't live here. I feel safe in saying that you probably don't know what it's like dealing with Genuine Grade F American White Trash.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:50 am UTC

Akula wrote:
CaraInFrames wrote:Hmmm. The smug sense of superiority here makes me rather uncomfortable.


You don't live here. I feel safe in saying that you probably don't know what it's like dealing with Genuine Grade F American White Trash.


Oh I'm as prone to elitism as anyone, but some of these examples are merciless.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

User avatar
Akula
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:55 pm UTC
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Akula » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:36 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:
Akula wrote:
CaraInFrames wrote:Hmmm. The smug sense of superiority here makes me rather uncomfortable.


You don't live here. I feel safe in saying that you probably don't know what it's like dealing with Genuine Grade F American White Trash.


Oh I'm as prone to elitism as anyone, but some of these examples are merciless.


The truth hurts. Just like interacting with some of these dregs. It should be noted that there's a difference between hicks/rednecks and White Trash also. Alot of the backwoods folk are some of the brightest, kindest, most awesome people in the world. White Trash knows no bounds, and makes it's habitat in rural, urban, and suburban areas alike.

It can be difficult to tell. A common symptom is enjoying NASCAR. While not everyone who enjoys NASCAR is white trash, it is quite popular among white trash:
Image
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Klye
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:05 am UTC
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Klye » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:39 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Hmmm. The smug sense of superiority here makes me rather uncomfortable.


I agree, that particular story sticks out as differant than the rest to me. It seems like it is more steriotyping people based on their appearance than telling a story about them being stupid.

@rxninja: Just so you know, it is "Rubik's" not "rubix".

Edited to include a story:

A couple of days ago (about two months since school has started) I wake up to my alarm clock, the same as I do every morning, and notice my roomate standing next to my bed. I looked up at him and he asks if my clock is supposed to make that noise.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:44 am UTC

Akula wrote:White Trash knows no bounds, and makes it's habitat in rural, urban, and suburban areas alike.

Wait until I report this in the stupid people thread...

Actually, the story that provoked me to comment at all was the one relating to the little old woman and the CDs. Technological advancements can be daunting for the best of us...one whose life isn't effected by such advancements shouldn't be derided for her lack of awareness. It just made me a little sad, I guess, that she was being referred to as 'stupid' when her only crime was not updating her music system.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

User avatar
Akula
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:55 pm UTC
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Akula » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:56 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:
Akula wrote:White Trash knows no bounds, and makes it's habitat in rural, urban, and suburban areas alike.

Wait until I report this in the stupid people thread...

Actually, the story that provoked me to comment at all was the one relating to the little old woman and the CDs. Technological advancements can be daunting for the best of us...one whose life isn't effected by such advancements shouldn't be derided for her lack of awareness. It just made me a little sad, I guess, that she was being referred to as 'stupid' when her only crime was not updating her music system.


Ohhhhhh-hoooooohhhhh! Shall we start an annoying people thread and start it off with Grammar Nazis? Haha jk.
White trash would say... well I don't have enough alcohol to dumb myself down enough to translate into their broken ass English.

And I agree, that example is a poor one. There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. Like I said before, I work in electronics retail, and I have no problem helping people who honestly have no clue. What I hate are the people who have no clue but insist they are the wiser. Like people who get upset when I tell them they have to buy a router to share an internet connection, and insist all they need is an "enternet splitter" and to stop upselling them on shit they don't need. Fuck those people.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
rxninja
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:16 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby rxninja » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:01 am UTC

Klye wrote:I agree, that particular story sticks out as differant than the rest to me. It seems like it is more steriotyping people based on their appearance than telling a story about them being stupid.

@rxninja: Just so you know, it is "Rubik's" not "rubix".


The story was about irony, because I had just had a conversation about asinine news stories and how they're just meant to keep unthinking people occupied. Lo and behold, unthinking people were occupied moments later without knowledge of said conversation. I thought it was amusing, so I shared it in hopes that others would also be amused by the irony.

Speaking of irony, though, you're attempting to correct my spelling when, in fact, your own spelling is in question. "Rubix" is slang for "Rubik's" because it combines consonant sounds and saves letters: Both titles for the plastic, colored, puzzle cube are used in various places and I only used "rubix" because it's what CNN used and I was just talking about their dumb "news" headlines. Earlier, they also showed a story about a "hydrochloric aid" spill (spelling left intact from the headline).

If you don't find my story funny, that's cool. If you think I'm being elitist, you're probably right because in some way I am and that's fine, too. If you, however, think that I'm elitist and that you're not and would like to use this false position to talk down to me (directly or indirectly) or try to correct slang spelling, that is not cool and I think you should either play nice or go to another thread.


@ Cara. "Little old ladies" that don't want to stay up to date with technology don't belong in Best Buy, a store dedicated solely to updated technology. It was the the nature of the questions that I found funny, however. I would have been equally amused if it were a small child, a college student, or a middle-aged adult.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I miss a lot of people, too. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

sophyturtle wrote:I think nudity is the solution for everything...

User avatar
sethicus
Winner
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:58 pm UTC
Location: Dela-WHERE?
Contact:

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby sethicus » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:06 am UTC

Akula wrote:The truth hurts. Just like interacting with some of these dregs. It should be noted that there's a difference between hicks/rednecks and White Trash also. Alot of the backwoods folk are some of the brightest, kindest, most awesome people in the world. White Trash knows no bounds, and makes it's habitat in rural, urban, and suburban areas alike.

It can be difficult to tell. A common symptom is enjoying NASCAR. While not everyone who enjoys NASCAR is white trash, it is quite popular among white trash:
Image


I used to work for a Nascar Track. I find the White Trash / Nascar Fan ratio to be closer to 1:2
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:08 am UTC

rxninja wrote:@ Cara. "Little old ladies" that don't want to stay up to date with technology don't belong in Best Buy, a store dedicated solely to updated technology. It was the the nature of the questions that I found funny, however. I would have been equally amused if it were a small child, a college student, or a middle-aged adult.

I just think because it was a little old lady you should have been less inclined to label her as 'stupid', is all. She may have been shopping with a child or grandchild, or just have wandered in out of curiosity.

Oh, as I said, I'm in no position to lecture another on elitism, I've been lambasted in the past for looking down my nose at others...but my superiority issues stem from elsewhere, I guess. It's all relative, anyway.

Also, what's NASCAR?
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:13 am UTC

Ahhhh, I have to get a wireless router, and have done for quite some time, but I'm rather terrified of having to look like an absolute idiot in front of the shop assistants. Not too long ago I was mercilessly mocked by a tech-head...we'd just updated our home iMac to a PC and I was insistent that the internet would not work now...turns out I'd connected the phone line to the wrong port on the PC...I'd not known that there was more than one port that would accept a phone line and so when I found one that fit, I didn't think to look for another. He was hideously condescending and snide with me...and possibly went to write me up on a "stupid people" messageboard somewhere. I'm sorry if I don't think I'm stupid. Just an absolute idiot where computers are concerned.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

User avatar
Akula
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:55 pm UTC
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Akula » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:14 am UTC

sethicus wrote:I used to work for a Nascar Track. I find the White Trash / Nascar Fan ratio to be closer to 1:2

That's about what I was going for, but, you know, MSPaint.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
Akula
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:55 pm UTC
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Akula » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:19 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:
rxninja wrote:@ Cara. "Little old ladies" that don't want to stay up to date with technology don't belong in Best Buy, a store dedicated solely to updated technology. It was the the nature of the questions that I found funny, however. I would have been equally amused if it were a small child, a college student, or a middle-aged adult.

I just think because it was a little old lady you should have been less inclined to label her as 'stupid', is all. She may have been shopping with a child or grandchild, or just have wandered in out of curiosity.

Oh, as I said, I'm in no position to lecture another on elitism, I've been lambasted in the past for looking down my nose at others...but my superiority issues stem from elsewhere, I guess. It's all relative, anyway.

Also, what's NASCAR?


NASCAR is the most popular form of auto racing in the US. It's often criticized because all but two (I think) of the tracks on the tour are just speed-rings. All left turns, not very much technique involved. Critics often overlook the more appreciable nuances such as keeping the cars running at the top of their performance envelope for hours on end, fuel management, and team work.

I suppose it's a lot like baseball in that it's extremely boring to the untrained eye. It's very entertaining to those with a trained eye. And it's entertaining to white trash because it's a bunch of loud, shiny, colorful cars going really really fast.
Last edited by Akula on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
Akula
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:55 pm UTC
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Akula » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:22 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Ahhhh, I have to get a wireless router, and have done for quite some time, but I'm rather terrified of having to look like an absolute idiot in front of the shop assistants. Not too long ago I was mercilessly mocked by a tech-head...we'd just updated our home iMac to a PC and I was insistent that the internet would not work now...turns out I'd connected the phone line to the wrong port on the PC...I'd not known that there was more than one port that would accept a phone line and so when I found one that fit, I didn't think to look for another. He was hideously condescending and snide with me...and possibly went to write me up on a "stupid people" messageboard somewhere. I'm sorry if I don't think I'm stupid. Just an absolute idiot where computers are concerned.


See, that's just fine. And any tech head mocking you for that probably needs to lose their fucking virginity.

It's people who listen to my diagnosis and then insist I'm wrong; either because they're stubborn or because they're cheap.

As I said before, there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity.

Ignorance is simply a lack of knowledge, while stupidity is a rejection of knowledge.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
rxninja
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:16 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby rxninja » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:25 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:I just think because it was a little old lady you should have been less inclined to label her as 'stupid', is all. She may have been shopping with a child or grandchild, or just have wandered in out of curiosity.


Re-read my story. I didn't call her stupid, though I did imply that the college student may have had a few screws loose. Maybe it would make more sense if I clarified the difference between someone being "stupid" as a blanket statement and being "stupid" about something. For instance, the white trash people legitimately seemed to be stupid people. The BBY customers, both the lady about CDs and the girl about playing DVDs in MP3 players, were stupid about technology. Is that better?

Yeargh, nevermind. It's so much easier to just say that you didn't find it funny and then move on.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I miss a lot of people, too. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

sophyturtle wrote:I think nudity is the solution for everything...

curiositykills
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:35 pm UTC

Postby curiositykills » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:50 am UTC

Meta-stupid: Getting pedantic about what is and isn't stupid

There's a difference between telling a good-humored story of someone doing or saying something silly, and sharing your scorn of someone because you're of the opinion that they are stupid. Scorn is hardly a necessary element of any story.

tl;dr - More stories, less scorn.

User avatar
Akula
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:55 pm UTC
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re:

Postby Akula » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:55 am UTC

curiositykills wrote:Meta-stupid: Getting pedantic about what is and isn't stupid

There's a difference between telling a good-humored story of someone doing or saying something silly, and sharing your scorn of someone because you're of the opinion that they are stupid. Scorn is hardly a necessary element of any story.

tl;dr - More stories, less scorn.


HAHA. True.

However, I am still rather partial to scorn.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
rxninja
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:16 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby rxninja » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:04 am UTC

Alright, alright...this one's stolen from a friend of mine. She was in class one day and the teacher happened to be talking about semen. The teacher says something about the composition of semen and how it actually contains some sugar in it. Random girl raises her hand to interrupt and asks, "If it has sugar in it, how come it doesn't taste sweet?" The whole class is silent for a moment, then the teacher responds almost immediately with, "That's because you taste sweetness on the tip of your tongue, not in the back of your throat."

Shazzam.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I miss a lot of people, too. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

sophyturtle wrote:I think nudity is the solution for everything...

User avatar
Iori_Yagami
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Iori_Yagami » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:33 am UTC

Just for some folks to know, I'm not here to be liked or whatever. Yes, I AM direct and have my own opinion. And I am not from US, so your 'culture' is foreign to me absolutely.
So I cannot equate not knowing about CDs to not knowing really common things. If someone failed to recognize a spoon, boots or a tree, that would be highly disturbing. But not CDs or iPods. Where I live almost noone of elderly people know about those things or care to know. They have already given their lives to the country, don't they deserve some respect from some pushover youngsters? And by the way, CD players really were (and for some still are)expensive here. So some otherwise unworthy kids could have a reason to brag about - they have an expensive trinket. Hey, when government chose to switch TV standart from SECAM to PAL the majority of population sat with suddenly black-and-white picture on their TVs, because they could not afford to buy new ones, and SECAMs could not decode PAL colour information.
By the way, my mother often asked me about 2nd side of the CD. Now what, do I have a right to call her dumb? It wasn't that inane either, when later double-sided DVDs appeared.
How could someone on XKCD not understand that not using something does not automatically lead to not having enough common sense to comprehend the thing? Using CDs is very trivial, so I do not believe that it is stupidity, but other reasons, such as personal issues, fears and phobias, generated by someone who likes to intimidate others to make them feel inferior in order to boost their own confidence and get undeserved 'promotion'.

It all just reminds me of 'internet peope' paradox. Internet is somewhat new, but they are convinced it is known to everyone. Like in a joke: 'The survey clearly showed us that 100% of the general population uses internet quite intensively. Such are the results of our recent internet survey'. Hey, has someone forgotten that geeking is not only constant intellectual pursuits, but also failure to connect with outer, distasteful and largely ignorant, but still real like a rock, world?

Now for my real stupidity story - it is country-wide, government made and unpleasant. Can you imagine a country where vehicle drivers under law are obliged to drive with their car lights always lit, even in the mid afternoon of the sunny summer day? You can't really see whether those lights are on or off, sunshine prohibits this. No, you can't imagine such a country, but it is real, I live here!!! Their motivation is as idiotic as it gets: 'So that poor sighted people see the car approaching.' Ugh, if you can't see a car on a sunny day, unvisible car light will not make it different. Even with perfect eyesight you can't always tell whether lights are lit when sun shines. Is not that just stupid?
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

User avatar
parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time
Posts: 5539
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:17 am UTC
Location: la-la land
Contact:

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby parkaboy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:38 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Hmmm. The smug sense of superiority here makes me rather uncomfortable.


wow. really? because

CaraInFrames in the picture thread wrote:
mjec wrote:
CaraInFrames wrote:I'm wondering if I should wait until this place is better acquainted with my personality before posting a picture, at least that way I can be judged without bias. Ah well.


Eh, we only judge people based on as much personality as can be expressed in their sig anyway.

Or is that just me?


Well with Panic at the Disco and Coldplay in your last.fm you better hope it's just you...
Image

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

User avatar
dubsola
Posts: 2327
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:55 am UTC
Location: Sunny Snakeville

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby dubsola » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:49 am UTC

Iori_Yagami - There is no definitive proof that safety is increased or decreased by leaving your headlights on during the day, but there is certainly evidence to suggest that it is increased. However, given that the matter is very much undecided, it is certainly not stupid.

Secondly, whilst I saw no real derision in rx_ninja's post towards the old lady who didn't know much about CDs, the second part - a girl asking if an iPod would play DVDs - had some, and justifiably so, IMO.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:18 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:
CaraInFrames wrote:Hmmm. The smug sense of superiority here makes me rather uncomfortable.


wow. really? because

CaraInFrames in the picture thread wrote:
mjec wrote:
CaraInFrames wrote:I'm wondering if I should wait until this place is better acquainted with my personality before posting a picture, at least that way I can be judged without bias. Ah well.


Eh, we only judge people based on as much personality as can be expressed in their sig anyway.

Or is that just me?


Well with Panic at the Disco and Coldplay in your last.fm you better hope it's just you...


I was joking. I don't believe mjec judges folk based solely on their sig, either.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

curiositykills
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:35 pm UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby curiositykills » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:28 pm UTC

No jokes allowed, you must be consistent, serious, and maintain your e-integrity lest someone get offended or accuse you of hypocrisy with out-of-context quotes.

All joking aside, I find your hypocrisy to be highly disturbing, carainframes. I believe a close examination of the content of anyone's posts here will find you anomalous in such a fashion. Yes, you are the only one who has ever been (or can potentially be framed as being) hypocritical. We don't condone or encourage that sort of behavior here, I'm afraid the only possible sentence is banishment.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:30 pm UTC

curiositykills wrote:No jokes allowed, you must be consistent, serious, and maintain your e-integrity lest someone get offended or accuse you of hypocrisy with out-of-context quotes.

All joking aside, I find your hypocrisy to be highly disturbing, carainframes. I believe a close examination of the content of anyone's posts here will find you anomalous in such a fashion. Yes, you are the only one who has ever been (or can potentially be framed as being) hypocritical. I'm afraid the only possible sentence is banishment, we don't condone that sort of behavior here.


Heavens, four posts and you're speaking for the forum community, impressive!
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

User avatar
Amicitia
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:37 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Amicitia » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:46 pm UTC

"Stupid" always seemed rather ridiculous, trite, and something xkcdians would call me.
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"
William Strunk, Jr.

curiositykills
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:35 pm UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby curiositykills » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:48 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:
curiositykills wrote:No jokes allowed, you must be consistent, serious, and maintain your e-integrity lest someone get offended or accuse you of hypocrisy with out-of-context quotes.

All joking aside, I find your hypocrisy to be highly disturbing, carainframes. I believe a close examination of the content of anyone's posts here will find you anomalous in such a fashion. Yes, you are the only one who has ever been (or can potentially be framed as being) hypocritical. I'm afraid the only possible sentence is banishment, we don't condone that sort of behavior here.


Heavens, four posts and you're speaking for the forum community, impressive!


I have a dream, that one day forum posters will be measured not by the size of their e-penis, ... err, post count... but by the content of their character.

Also, context. Mebbe I could add a wink thingy when I'm being utterly sarcastic. If you read closely I was actually supporting you. But no srsly, my name is the Forax, I speak for the Fora... err, we do not like you any more-ah? ... Go back and read the Torah? Hmph. YOU try to rhyme with fora.

On edit: Unless your response to me was actually in kind and I fail at detecting sarcasm more than I think other people do.

User avatar
Amicitia
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:37 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Amicitia » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:51 pm UTC

Ora et labora?
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"

William Strunk, Jr.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:53 pm UTC

curiositykills wrote:
CaraInFrames wrote:
curiositykills wrote:No jokes allowed, you must be consistent, serious, and maintain your e-integrity lest someone get offended or accuse you of hypocrisy with out-of-context quotes.

All joking aside, I find your hypocrisy to be highly disturbing, carainframes. I believe a close examination of the content of anyone's posts here will find you anomalous in such a fashion. Yes, you are the only one who has ever been (or can potentially be framed as being) hypocritical. I'm afraid the only possible sentence is banishment, we don't condone that sort of behavior here.


Heavens, four posts and you're speaking for the forum community, impressive!


I have a dream, that one day forum posters will be measured not by the size of their e-penis, ... err, post count... but by the content of their character.

Also, context. Mebbe I could add a wink thingy when I'm being utterly sarcastic. If you read closely I was actually supporting you. But no srsly, my name is the Forax, I speak for the Fora... err, we do not like you any more-ah? ... Go back and read the Torah? Hmph. YOU try to rhyme with fora.

On edit: Unless your response to me was actually in kind and I fail at detecting sarcasm more than I think other people do.

I think you'll find you were correct in your edited assumption. Never add a winky thing, it just cheapens everything.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

curiositykills
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:35 pm UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby curiositykills » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:12 pm UTC

well. err. fux. one-upped. I gladly sacrifice my altar at the self of stupidity. someone lampoon me plz.

hee, I said lampoon.

Klye
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:05 am UTC
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Klye » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:16 pm UTC

Edit: Original post deleted as there is no reason to continue this arguement.

Speaking of NASCAR, I was at a race one time (my dad got free tickets from someone...) About half way through the race some guy in front of us got a phone call, he started talking, but when the cars came by where we were he held out the phone, and started yelling "look at that!" After all the cars had passed he put the phone back to his ear and asked whoever he was tlaking to if they had seen the cars.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

User avatar
Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Longmont, CO
Contact:

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Umlaut » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:57 pm UTC

I just wrote a huge rant (I work in tech support), but recognized it for what it was. I just want everyone to appreciate the effort.

As an aside: people who work at Lowe's, please stop dropping our phones in the toilet. I know you aren't the biggest fan of Spectralink, but those things cost your company like $450 a pop. What's with all the forklift crushed phones too? that freaks me out.
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

User avatar
dubsola
Posts: 2327
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:55 am UTC
Location: Sunny Snakeville

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby dubsola » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:59 pm UTC

Klye wrote:Speaking of NASCAR, I was at a race one time (my dad got free tickets from someone...) About half way through the race some guy in front of us got a phone call, he started talking, but when the cars came by where we were he held out the phone, and started yelling "look at that!" After all the cars had passed he put the phone back to his ear and asked whoever he was tlaking to if they had seen the cars.
These are the stupid people stories I've paid to read. Please post more of them. All of you. There are plenty of stupid people in the world, I know you've got more!

BVD
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby BVD » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:00 pm UTC

Umlaut wrote:As an aside: people who work at Lowe's, please stop dropping our phones in the toilet. I know you aren't the biggest fan of Spectralink, but those things cost your company like $450 a pop. What's with all the forklift crushed phones too? that freaks me out.

you may have to explain that one a little more

haha and yes, Klye's story is awesome

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Stupid People Stories Thread

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:11 pm UTC

Maybe he has a video application on his phone? I refuse to believe anyone is that stupid.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests