Irrational fears

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Do you have any irrational fears?

No. (I am a robot and do not feel emotion.)
19%
Yes, one or two.
59%
Yes, many.
22%

Total votes: 274

el sjaako

Postby el sjaako » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

toysbfun wrote:Thank you for shattering my false sense of security. A little bit of research shows I was off by a factor of one million on my event horizion claim. Sure, one might not run into anything with a Schwartzchild radius of a few km, but it's once again a concern of mine. Whether from the sky or from the ground, those bastiches are dangerous.

I don't know if this helps, but most mass in the universe is moving away from us (because of the big bang) and large black holes contain A LOT of mass.

toysbfun

Postby toysbfun » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

And the Andromeda galaxy is expected to collide with our own in a few billion years. Black holes are probably just something it's best not to think about.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:37 am UTC

toysbfun wrote:And the Andromeda galaxy is expected to collide with our own in a few billion years. Black holes are probably just something it's best not to think about.

I also try to stay away from "before the big bang". That hurts my brain.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:37 am UTC

toysbfun wrote:And the Andromeda galaxy is expected to collide with our own in a few billion years. Black holes are probably just something it's best not to think about.

Arent the statistics something like... only 20 stellar collisions will actually occur then?
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:00 am UTC

Arent the statistics something like... only 20 stellar collisions will actually occur then?

Does that figure also include how many systems will have their planets ripped free? Or torn apart by passing stars? Or just severely gravitationally fucked up for an extended period? Or pulled to a new orbit?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:55 am UTC

First things first. Sorry if I'm disrupting the direction that this thread is going, I haven't read the entire thread. I'm just throwing it out there that I am terribly scared of bees. Probably enough to call it a phobia, and definitely enough to call it irrational.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:56 am UTC

Nope :P

But still if we haven't got space travel by then...

And anyway... the inhibtors will fix it all. They only lost cause in the stories the humans always win. :P

EDIT: I am muchly afraid of bees also.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:12 am UTC

Since this fits in with our topic, I thought I'd point out that there's an Irrational Fear postcard on today's Postsecret posting - Traffic lights. That's one I hadn't thought of at all.
Turn your scars into stars.

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:24 am UTC

Anmorata wrote:Since this fits in with our topic, I thought I'd point out that there's an Irrational Fear postcard on today's Postsecret posting - Traffic lights. That's one I hadn't thought of at all.

Sometimes I get paranoid when I drive under a bridge that it will collapse on me. Especially if it's an old, rusty bridge. Then I think to myself "well it hasn't collapsed yet, why should it collapse exactly when you go under it?" and I feel all warm and fuzzy inside again.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:30 am UTC

warriorness wrote:Sometimes I get paranoid when I drive under a bridge that it will collapse on me. Especially if it's an old, rusty bridge. Then I think to myself "well it hasn't collapsed yet, why should it collapse exactly when you go under it?" and I feel all warm and fuzzy inside again.

I've never thought about that while driving under a bridge.. but driving on top of one? I get a little leery when they sway. It feels weird.

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:11 pm UTC

Anmorata wrote:
warriorness wrote:Sometimes I get paranoid when I drive under a bridge that it will collapse on me. Especially if it's an old, rusty bridge. Then I think to myself "well it hasn't collapsed yet, why should it collapse exactly when you go under it?" and I feel all warm and fuzzy inside again.

I've never thought about that while driving under a bridge.. but driving on top of one? I get a little leery when they sway. It feels weird.

O_o; Ever driven across the Mackinac Bridge?

*shudder*
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:31 pm UTC

Akira wrote:O_o; Ever driven across the Mackinac Bridge?

*shudder*

Can't say that I have. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge scares the hell out of me, though.

toysbfun

Postby toysbfun » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:41 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:

Just (trying to) making the point that even if most of the mass in the universe is headed away from us, one large chunk headed for us can be catastrophic, whether it's a black hole, or just one of those raptor-killing asteroids.

Plus it's two thousand million years away from now. If I'm still alive in a billion years, I'll start to worrry.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

Anmorata wrote:
Akira wrote:O_o; Ever driven across the Mackinac Bridge?

*shudder*

Can't say that I have. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge scares the hell out of me, though.

Chesapeke Bay Bridge has ntohing on Mackinac, especially when its just barely below the threashold for "bridge closed due to high winds"
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:04 pm UTC

I can understand the traffic lights thing. The other day I was sitting in the passenger's seat of a car, and talking to the driver. We were stopped at an intersection, and it was really windy. I look up at the traffic lights that are blowing all over the place, and say, "how big are those? I've never stood next to one before."

I am afraid of waking up to find all of my limbs gone.
I think about this WAY too much, because I have really poor circulation in my extremeties and my hands and feet always get really numb and stiff.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

Cockroaches and giant centipedes scare the ever living fuck out of me.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

xooll

Postby xooll » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:Cockroaches and giant centipedes scare the ever living fuck out of me.

cockroaches just disgust me. Centipedes, yeah, they're the most horrible creatures in the world.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Roffle

Postby Roffle » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

I direct you to this thread.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?t=4374

I say again. Fuck your centipedes. Those I can stomp on. But *these* guys are the reason I'm never going to Japan.
"Error juris semper nocet"

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

imagine if those centapedes from Mario were real? That's be horrifying.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

The LuigiManiac

Postby The LuigiManiac » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:16 pm UTC

Castaway wrote:imagine if those centapedes from Mario were real? That's be horrifying.

You mean http://www.en.wikipedia.org/Wiggler? They would be scary indeed if they were real and angry.

EDIT: WARNING, WIKIPEDIA LINK. FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK OF WASTING AWAY HOURS OF YOUR TIME.
Spoiler:

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:38 pm UTC

Why does this thread always revert to conversation about how gross bugs are?

The LuigiManiac

Postby The LuigiManiac » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:45 pm UTC

I guess a lot of readers are just scared/intimidated/disgusted by bugs, and not much else. To get the subject off bugs, I will also state that I am scared of water levels in video games. I think it is the loss of maneuverability while in the water in most games.
Spoiler:

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:47 pm UTC

I am scared of fog. This is due entirely to silent hill.

Which is a pity, because thick fog looks *really cool*. It just also scares the bejeezus out of me when I'm in it.

They/them

Roffle

Postby Roffle » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:19 pm UTC

Try being alone on the top of a mountain, with night approaching, and you *know* there's a cliff somewhere close, but you *need* to make it back to the cabin by nightfall, or you won't know where you're going.. Cuz you can't see too good without nightvision goggles.

Yeah, that was fun.
"Error juris semper nocet"

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:25 pm UTC

No *actual* threat in the fog can beat the conviction that a crazy fucking zombie dog or one of the armless-creatures will come lurching out of the fog at any moment, in my mind.

Or that the world will suddenly just twist and darken and bleed into a horrible, contorted reflection of itself, leaving me trapped in a living nightmare, all to the sound of distant air-raid sirens.

I also get nervous when radios are running static.

They/them

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

I just realized the biggest totally irrational fear I have: when you leave the phone off the hook too long and it does the "da da DA! Please hang up and try your call again" message. I am honestly terrified of that tone. It just gives me the chills, every single time.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:05 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:I just realized the biggest totally irrational fear I have: when you leave the phone off the hook too long and it does the "da da DA! Please hang up and try your call again" message. I am honestly terrified of that tone. It just gives me the chills, every single time.

I...

I'm now scared of that.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Akira

Postby Akira » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I am scared of fog. This is due entirely to silent hill.

Which is a pity, because thick fog looks *really cool*. It just also scares the bejeezus out of me when I'm in it.

Never seen Silent Hill.

I ADORE fog. You can get all lost in it... and it's all... quiet.

<3 it. ^^

However. I do fear driving in it. I go somewhere around ten below the speed limit usually. XD

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:21 pm UTC

Never seen Silent Hill.

Was referring to the games, actually, but the movie was good for that, too.

They/them

Akira

Postby Akira » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

Ah haaaaah. *nodnod*

Well I havent played it, either. *nod* Lol. Not a huge games person. I should get mor einto it, if onyl to have somethng to do thats not on the internet.

simen

Postby simen » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:46 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:I just realized the biggest totally irrational fear I have: when you leave the phone off the hook too long and it does the "da da DA! Please hang up and try your call again" message. I am honestly terrified of that tone. It just gives me the chills, every single time.

I'd be interested in hearing that sound. Alas, I live in Norway, and our equivalent message is quite boring. Could you (or someone else) please record it? There might be a musical reason for you fearing it.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:00 pm UTC

Akira wrote:Ah haaaaah. *nodnod*

Well I havent played it, either. *nod* Lol. Not a huge games person. I should get mor einto it, if onyl to have somethng to do thats not on the internet.

The games are really..interesting. Also, terrifying, but under all the *scary as shit*, there's a pretty interesting story going on. I recommend it.

They/them

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

I never played the game, but the movie was totally underrated. I actually bought it soley for the scene where the woman gets raped by barbed wire. And when triangle head ruins the wall's shit.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:18 pm UTC

I actually bought it soley for the scene where the woman gets raped by barbed wire.

I actually liked that scene *less* than the rest of the movie, but to each their own.

The movie wasn't terribly true to the games, plotwise (Read: it wasn't true to the games at all) but it captured the atmosphere amazingly well.

But I think there's already a topic about this movie, so back to irrational fears....

They/them

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

I think I should mention I have been scared as shit from
Doom 3
F.E.A.R
and most recently, S.T.A.L.K.E.R
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:45 pm UTC

Okay, this is pretty acute and specific, but who's seen Signs? With Mel Gibson? You know the part at the birthday party on the news when the alien walks across the shot, and glares, and then keeps walking? SCARY AS SHIT! OH MY GOD!

blarg(!)

Postby blarg(!) » Tue May 01, 2007 12:41 am UTC

Ticks. They are to world's most evil life form ever. They will kill us all in our sleep! It has been many years since the nightmares though. :)

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue May 01, 2007 12:42 am UTC

blarg(!) wrote:Ticks. They are to world's most evil life form ever. They will kill us all in our sleep! It has been many years since the nightmares though. :)

Yes. Very yes.

They/them

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue May 01, 2007 12:45 am UTC

blarg(!) wrote:Ticks. They are to world's most evil life form ever. They will kill us all in our sleep! It has been many years since the nightmares though. :)

Two years ago on Cape Cod, I got a strange sore on my leg, and we went to the doctor.

The reading material in the waiting was titled something like "Ticks: And why Lyme Disease will KILL YOU SLOWLY AND PAINFULLY."

It turned out to be nothing. I'm still scared.

blarg(!)

Postby blarg(!) » Tue May 01, 2007 12:50 am UTC

One time we saw one on our ceiling, and my dad walked over to get it, and it dropped into his hair. (!) Also, they can easily survive a trip through the washer and dryer. I think I have to stop talking about this, I am freaking out again. To this day I will avoid walking through brush in the spring.

Return to “General”