Irrational fears

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Do you have any irrational fears?

No. (I am a robot and do not feel emotion.)
19%
Yes, one or two.
59%
Yes, many.
22%

Total votes: 274

AnonyMouse
Boobs, LOL!

Postby AnonyMouse » Tue May 01, 2007 12:56 am UTC

I have an irrational fear of other human beings. speaking to strangers in person, I'm a bit better online. the text medium helps, but only in this kind of a setting. give me an IM or something and it takes me quite a bit to work up to answering. same with phones. I won't answer the phone for friends from work that I talk to every day because it scares me for unknown reasons. Hence the irrationalness of it.

Also, heights scare the bejeebus out of me.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue May 01, 2007 1:47 am UTC

simen wrote:
lanicita wrote:I just realized the biggest totally irrational fear I have: when you leave the phone off the hook too long and it does the "da da DA! Please hang up and try your call again" message. I am honestly terrified of that tone. It just gives me the chills, every single time.

I'd be interested in hearing that sound. Alas, I live in Norway, and our equivalent message is quite boring. Could you (or someone else) please record it? There might be a musical reason for you fearing it.

Well, *I'm* not recording it. I'm so careful not to leave the phone off the hook because it's just the eeriest sound ever.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

arcticfox.sq

Postby arcticfox.sq » Tue May 01, 2007 2:35 am UTC

The creepy thing in an episode of X-Files... I don't remember what they're called but it's this special kind of people in India that are like... illusionists... and there was one that had no legs and dragged himself along on a board with creeky wheels and killed people by touching them...
There was a scene where the guy who got killed developed a distended stomach AFTER he died, and as Scully biopsied him, the scary little Indian guy POPPED OUT OF HIS STOMACH!
Now I imagine the creeky wheel sound whenever its dark, even in my own house >_<, it's even scarier because in the show the guy could make himself semi-invisible, or appear as something else.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Tue May 01, 2007 2:13 pm UTC

ahahahah, that sounds hilarious. It reminds me of that scene in Alien when the alien comes out of the guy's stomach. My dad made me watch that movie when i was six, and it fucked me up. I thought aliens really had super-corrosive saliva.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue May 01, 2007 4:08 pm UTC

I live in a third-storey walk-up. One of my windows is a bay-window type thing. It feels like I'm in a little tower. While I was standing there one night, looking down into the street, it suddenly hit me how totally unprepared I was for a zombie attack. I somehow became convinced that is was perfectly reasonable to assume I would see a zombie or two in the street at any moment, and that it would signal a much larger zombie attack in the near future. As long as they can't climb up to the balcony or break through the door, I could be okay for a while, but what about food? I still sometimes wonder how I could better prepare my home for such an invasion. It's just a passing thought. I mean, I don't dwell on it or anything...

I blame Shaun of the Dead. The transition into a zombie-infested town was so insidious. Would any of us really see the signs before it's too late to avoid some major zombie contact?

Again, I'm not dwelling on it!
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Tue May 01, 2007 6:57 pm UTC

I'm afraid of anything touching the vent register covers on the floor (I don't know what they are called) because I think that if something is sitting on one, it will catch on fire as soon as I leave it unattended. It's ridiculous, but I can't stop thinking it. I worry about fire a lot. I used to have recurring nightmares about fire. I'm so paranoid about fire that I worry about my paper lamp catching on fire when it is on.

One time there was an outlet in our house with a short in it, and it melted the plastic part of the plug that was plugged into it and it started smoking. I freaked the hell out.

It makes me really, really nervous when there is a fire in the fireplace. If the dog even walks by it, even if it's not really close, I'll yell "GET AWAY FROM THERE." I don't even like the dog, but my mom's favorite pet catching on fire would not be a good day.

And of course, I'm paranoid about me leaving the stovetop on, because I actually have before. I wasn't paying attention and I ended up turning the dial on very low instead of all the way off. The burner looked like it was off, because it was on very low heat. Somebody could have gotten burned.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue May 01, 2007 7:16 pm UTC

I *should* be more afraid of fire. Twice now, I've woken to the smell of overheated metal, to realize that Randy left the oven on overnight....

I think the fact that this only marginally bothers me will lead me to die a horrible, warm death one day.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

arcticfox.sq

Postby arcticfox.sq » Tue May 01, 2007 7:23 pm UTC

I burned the curtains down once when I was 4 years old, I was playing with matches :P. Unfortuanely, my favorite doll got melted in that fire and from then on, I was deathly afraid of matches (though not fire, ironically). To this day I can't light a match but I'm fine with lighters :D

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Wed May 02, 2007 2:09 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I *should* be more afraid of fire. Twice now, I've woken to the smell of overheated metal, to realize that Randy left the oven on overnight....

sigh...i remember a time, when i had an oven that could be turned on...

fucking gas companies.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

Messiah

Postby Messiah » Wed May 02, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

bbctol wrote:Two years ago on Cape Cod, I got a strange sore on my leg, and we went to the doctor. The reading material in the waiting was titled something like "Ticks: And why Lyme Disease will KILL YOU SLOWLY AND PAINFULLY."

What kind of Doctor is this?!??! That's some fucked up reading material! I'd kill for an out of date Woman's Weekly anyday.

bookishbunny wrote:While I was standing there one night, looking down into the street, it suddenly hit me how totally unprepared I was for a zombie attack. I somehow became convinced that is was perfectly reasonable to assume I would see a zombie or two in the street at any moment, and that it would signal a much larger zombie attack in the near future. As long as they can't climb up to the balcony or break through the door, I could be okay for a while, but what about food? I still sometimes wonder how I could better prepare my home for such an invasion.

I do the exact same thing. I'd be screwed in my new place. But my old house was up on stilts, so I figured that I'd just get food stocks and weapons, then destroy both the sets of stairs leading up. They can't climb or jump, so I'd be fine. I even knew where the closest gunshop was, so I could go get weapons quickly.

This is probably going to be a given for this forum, but in the years after watching Jurassic Park, I had reoccuring nightmares about the T-rex, and the raptors. I would even be sitting in school, or at home, and here the bass from a car with a sub as it went past, and convince myself it was the T-rex's footsteps. And of course, I did this.....
"The possession of anything begins in the mind" - Bruce Lee

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed May 02, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

Messiah wrote:
bookishbunny wrote:While I was standing there one night, looking down into the street, it suddenly hit me how totally unprepared I was for a zombie attack. I somehow became convinced that is was perfectly reasonable to assume I would see a zombie or two in the street at any moment, and that it would signal a much larger zombie attack in the near future. As long as they can't climb up to the balcony or break through the door, I could be okay for a while, but what about food? I still sometimes wonder how I could better prepare my home for such an invasion.

I do the exact same thing. I'd be screwed in my new place. But my old house was up on stilts, so I figured that I'd just get food stocks and weapons, then destroy both the sets of stairs leading up. They can't climb or jump, so I'd be fine. I even knew where the closest gunshop was, so I could go get weapons quickly.

Sure. That's a great plan if you know they're coming. But these things always happen so slowly that we don't even notice it. Then, BAM, they got you.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

mrguy753

Postby mrguy753 » Wed May 02, 2007 11:50 pm UTC

Being watched. I ALWAYS feel like I'm being watched. I hate it.

Oh, and in case no one has made this (terrible) joke yet: My irrational fear: pi!
I sing anyway.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed May 02, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

mrguy753 wrote:Being watched. I ALWAYS feel like I'm being watched. I hate it.

Oh, and in case no one has made this (terrible) joke yet: My irrational fear: pi!

They have made that joke.

And you ARE being watched.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Wed May 02, 2007 11:54 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:I live in a third-storey walk-up. One of my windows is a bay-window type thing. It feels like I'm in a little tower. While I was standing there one night, looking down into the street, it suddenly hit me how totally unprepared I was for a zombie attack. I somehow became convinced that is was perfectly reasonable to assume I would see a zombie or two in the street at any moment, and that it would signal a much larger zombie attack in the near future. As long as they can't climb up to the balcony or break through the door, I could be okay for a while, but what about food? I still sometimes wonder how I could better prepare my home for such an invasion. It's just a passing thought. I mean, I don't dwell on it or anything...

I blame Shaun of the Dead. The transition into a zombie-infested town was so insidious. Would any of us really see the signs before it's too late to avoid some major zombie contact?

Again, I'm not dwelling on it!

I find myself very much looking forward to a zombie apocalypse and how much ass kicking would be done by me. My former friend wrote a very long (like 20+ page) survival manual for a zombia apocalypse, and then found out like a week later that his hard work was in vain, because somebody already published one.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed May 02, 2007 11:55 pm UTC

mrguy753 wrote:Being watched. I ALWAYS feel like I'm being watched. I hate it.

I love that thing you do in front of the mirror in the morning.

Yeah, you know what I mean.

Love it.

They/them

mrguy753

Postby mrguy753 » Thu May 03, 2007 12:04 am UTC

Ehhh...Ewwww...
You make me uncomfortable.

I used to think that aliens were always watching me, but that faded away. Come to think of it, I used to be really afraid of aliens.
I sing anyway.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Thu May 03, 2007 12:21 am UTC

I'm afraid of somehow snapping my achilles tendon. I can hardly type thinking about it, so I'll leave it at that.

Messiah

Postby Messiah » Thu May 03, 2007 2:57 am UTC

Castaway wrote:I'm afraid of somehow snapping my achilles tendon. I can hardly type thinking about it, so I'll leave it at that.

My friend has that. He's a soccer player, and cannot watch anything which damages the achilles, like that Nightmare on Elm Street/House of Wax/Lot of other movies shot where they slice the tendon and the victim just drops. Apparently it's because he's thinking "Dear God, there goes his/her career."
"The possession of anything begins in the mind" - Bruce Lee

Leo Luigi

Postby Leo Luigi » Thu May 03, 2007 10:20 am UTC

Is it irrational to fear instant combustion?
If so, yeah.
My own webcomic, maybe look at it if you have the time, any inputs are greatly appreciated!
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/leoluigi/poots

CDarklock

Postby CDarklock » Thu May 03, 2007 10:31 am UTC

I have this weird semi-OCD thing where whenever I do something repeatedly, I do it by either a multiple of three or a multiple of thirteen. Ideally, of course, I do it thirty-nine times - three times thirteen. The thirteen is a kind of sidelong thing about primes and perfect squares, because 2 and 3 are prime and 4 and 9 are their perfect squares and the sum of those is 13. I also have a thing about 169, which is the perfect square of 13. My wife used to laugh at me when I said these numbers occur frequently in my life, until our first son was born on April 9th and she was placed in hospital room 169. But I'm digressing.

It's only semi-OCD, because if I lose count or don't get to do it, I don't obsess over it. I'm sort of like "oh well" and I shrug and go on about my day. When I stir my tea, for example, I stir it thirty-nine times clockwise, then thirty-nine times widdershins, then tap the spoon exactly three times on the rim of the cup and lick off any excess liquid holding the convex side of the spoon facing upward. I do this every time. If I lose count, however, so be it! I shrug and go on about my business.

However, I'm afraid that there actually is a very good cosmic reason for my desire to do this, and that I am somehow screwing up the balance of the universe every time I don't. I can't imagine what might possibly go wrong if I stir my tea too much or not enough, but that just worries me even more. What if God Himself placed me here on this earth to stir my tea exactly thirty-nine times in each direction every single time, and whenever I fail to do that small children in Africa die and go directly to hell?

I have lots of worries like this, but I just go "oh well" and I shrug and go on about my day.
And there was much rejoicing.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu May 03, 2007 5:02 pm UTC

I have a paralyzing, uncontrollable phobia of bees, wasps, and other stinging insects. It doesn't even take the actual insect to send me into panic - just a similar pattern of movement is enough to freak me out (This means that I give the impression of being terrified of hummingbirds. I am not: I am instead afraid that the hummingbird is, in fact, a bee)

I haven't the faintest idea where this fear came from, I just know that I've been unable to control my fear of such insects since I was very, very young.

By "Unable to control" I mean, "If I see something that may possibly be a bee in my peripheral vision, I will immediately panic and start flailing/running, before my brain properly registers what I've seen. I've actually had moments where I start to panic and say to myself, "Why am I panicing?" before realizing that "OH SHI~ IZ A BEE!!! O___O"

This is a HUGE problem, as you can imagine, PARTICULARLY on my college campus. We have a massive infestation of carpenter bees in pretty much every wooden object here, and while carpenter bees are harmless, my fear does not discriminate. The worst part is that the biggest nest is in front of what is known as the "Nerd Dorm" which is where all my bio-major friends hang out, thus it is very hard for me to go visit them as I cannot get to the door for fear of the five or six carpenter bees hovering around there. I tell myself, "Dude, they're just carpenter bees. They are not going to hurt you." and it does not work. I can't move any closer and if they approach me... yeah.

Even worse is that at home we routinely get infestations of yellow-jackets and paper wasps in our outdoor deck, which prevents me from leaving the house until it can be taken care of. Worse than THAT was when we had a cicada killer inside our house trapped between the blinds. To my credit, I actually did manage to pluck up the courage to kill it. Though that might not have been courage so much as "THE HELL IS THAT THING Oh me yarm Oh me yarm AAAAAAAAAAAAH *HITS WITH CALCULUS TEXTBOOK!* >:( "
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Roffle

Postby Roffle » Thu May 03, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

I'm totally with you on that one. Don't look at anything I link to youtube. Please.
"Error juris semper nocet"

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Thu May 03, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:I have a paralyzing, uncontrollable phobia of bees, wasps, and other stinging insects. It doesn't even take the actual insect to send me into panic - just a similar pattern of movement is enough to freak me out (This means that I give the impression of being terrified of hummingbirds. I am not: I am instead afraid that the hummingbird is, in fact, a bee)

I haven't the faintest idea where this fear came from, I just know that I've been unable to control my fear of such insects since I was very, very young.

By "Unable to control" I mean, "If I see something that may possibly be a bee in my peripheral vision, I will immediately panic and start flailing/running, before my brain properly registers what I've seen. I've actually had moments where I start to panic and say to myself, "Why am I panicing?" before realizing that "OH SHI~ IZ A BEE!!! O___O"

This is a HUGE problem, as you can imagine, PARTICULARLY on my college campus. We have a massive infestation of carpenter bees in pretty much every wooden object here, and while carpenter bees are harmless, my fear does not discriminate. The worst part is that the biggest nest is in front of what is known as the "Nerd Dorm" which is where all my bio-major friends hang out, thus it is very hard for me to go visit them as I cannot get to the door for fear of the five or six carpenter bees hovering around there. I tell myself, "Dude, they're just carpenter bees. They are not going to hurt you." and it does not work. I can't move any closer and if they approach me... yeah.

Even worse is that at home we routinely get infestations of yellow-jackets and paper wasps in our outdoor deck, which prevents me from leaving the house until it can be taken care of. Worse than THAT was when we had a cicada killer inside our house trapped between the blinds. To my credit, I actually did manage to pluck up the courage to kill it. Though that might not have been courage so much as "THE HELL IS THAT THING Oh me yarm Oh me yarm AAAAAAAAAAAAH *HITS WITH CALCULUS TEXTBOOK!* >:( "

You have just described my fear in greater detail than even I could.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Matt_B

Postby Matt_B » Thu May 03, 2007 5:27 pm UTC

I have an irrational fear of heights.

I don't fear that I would fall off, though. In fact I really like rooftops, towers, hard to reach cliffs and the like, but whenever I'm in a high place I fear that my watch is going to come off my wrist and fall into the abyss which is strange because it's a really good and solid watch which hasn't exhibited any tendencies to fall apart so far.

Also, I sometimes imagine what I would do in a "The Stand" -like situation.
I have a pretty good plan of what to do if most of the world's population were to suddenly die, leaving me alone. It involves things like finding the next police-station to get a megaphone in order to find other survivors and finding the next Snack-shop to break into.

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Fri May 04, 2007 1:10 am UTC

CDarklock wrote:It's only semi-OCD, because if I lose count or don't get to do it, I don't obsess over it.

Then it's not OCD. It's not a disabling disorder. There's no such thing as "just a little OCD".. you either have it, or you don't. I suggest you look more into OCPD, or consider obsessive-compulsive tendencies for what you do.

Sorry, this is one of my biggest peeves - "just a little (insert psychological disorder)" or "I'm so (bipolar/OCD/etc)" when someone is absolutely *not* disabled by it. Those that have it live debilitating lives, and it sucks for them. It sucks for me sometimes. I have obsessive-compulsive tendencies (as defined by the MMPI and several professionals), bordering on OCPD, but I would never claim that any of my habits are OCD. They're just quirky, save for the times when I can't do anything but clean because.. because.. hell, no one ever understands that.

I'm not trying to be an ass. I promise. Finals start tomorrow and I'm a loose cannon right now, so I apologize in advance. My triggers/landmines are on overload right now. :(
Turn your scars into stars.

Mad Giraffe

Postby Mad Giraffe » Fri May 04, 2007 1:26 am UTC

Anmorata wrote:Sorry, this is one of my biggest peeves - "just a little (insert psychological disorder)" or "I'm so (bipolar/OCD/etc)" when someone is absolutely *not* disabled by it.

I completely agree.

But people sometimes just don't have the knowledge at hand to communicate their deficiancies. The easiest thing to do then is grabbing something that seems mostly similair to what you're experiencing and saying you have a slight bit of that.
It is mainly out of unknowing, not out of disrespect.
It is used explanatory, not labeling.

I myself have done that way to many times, it is really hard to communicate what's wrong with me without drawing lines to some of the points. No, the part where I have those things it isn't fully debilitating, but all of those tibids from everywhere do have significant implications on my life, which I'd really like to understand, for control's sake.
Something I still really lack, no matter how much psychological afflictions I look up and study. Only to find out that only a few symptons are correct, but not enough to find myself.

-----------------------------------------------
I voted No.

I don't have any 'real' irrational fears. For everytime I find something I 'could' be afraid of, I simply rationalise it and I'm not afraid of it anymore.

I have my fears well under control, so I don't have any problems with them.

My greatest fear is thus possibly something that can't be rationalised, explained and still has a significant implication on my principialities, well being, my person.

Fear of the unkown, as you could say.

Edit: Haha, how fun it is to lie to yourself. Drat.
My 'art' galleries:

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Fri May 04, 2007 1:27 am UTC

BATS!!!!
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri May 04, 2007 1:29 am UTC

BATS!!!!

BLASPHEMY!

Bats are awesome.

They/them

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri May 04, 2007 1:29 am UTC

Eternity and infinity scare the hell out of me. It's not because of eternal damnation I hope there's nothing after death, it's because I can't deal with the idea of living that long.

I also have nightmares about infinite differences between sizes and stuff.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Fri May 04, 2007 1:33 am UTC

Belial wrote:BLASPHEMY!

Bats are awesome.

Not when you wake up to a freaked out one trapped in your house and dive bombing all over the place. I don't mind them in general, but not in the house.

Someday I'll tell you guys the story of me, the bat, the screaming, and the animal control guy on speaker phone.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Fri May 04, 2007 12:56 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:Someday I'll tell you guys the story of me, the bat, the screaming, and the animal control guy on speaker phone.

I had a night like that. I drunk-dialed the SPCA, and the guy sounded really hot, and about 20 minutes later.....oh, wait, that's probably a different situation than yours. And you probably mean "bat" as in the animal.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Fri May 04, 2007 1:18 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:I had a night like that. I drunk-dialed the SPCA, and the guy sounded really hot, and about 20 minutes later.....oh, wait, that's probably a different situation than yours. And you probably mean "bat" as in the animal.

Damn, honey! Break out the weedeater, the raw chicken and the peach preserves.

CDarklock

Postby CDarklock » Fri May 04, 2007 5:20 pm UTC

Anmorata wrote:Then it's not OCD. It's not a disabling disorder.

That's why I said "semi". It's not OCD in the clinical sense, because I don't have all the symptoms. It still resembles OCD, and other people would perceive it as OCD.

I have obsessive-compulsive tendencies (as defined by the MMPI and several professionals), bordering on OCPD, but I would never claim that any of my habits are OCD.

To the average person, there are two kinds of people who care about the distinction between OCPD and OCD: doctors and patients. When you have "doctor" in front of your name, caring about the difference makes you conscientious and outspoken. When you don't, it just means you're crazy.

It's not fair, but it's reality, and we have to live here. Sort of like when you have thoughts and opinions about God, you're either a member of the clergy, or a nut.

They're just quirky, save for the times when I can't do anything but clean because.. because.. hell, no one ever understands that.

Why do we have to understand it? I don't understand why I have this thing about primes and squares and cubes. I certainly couldn't expect you to understand it. Maybe we all just have to deal with you the way you are, and if we don't get it we can just STFU and take it or leave it.

I'm not trying to be an ass. I promise. Finals start tomorrow and I'm a loose cannon right now, so I apologize in advance. My triggers/landmines are on overload right now.

I'm a little kicky about things, myself. I've been unemployed for the past month, and I hadn't realised just how much of my social life was bound up at work - we've moved since I started the contract, so I don't know anybody anymore, and my wife is essentially in "mom only" mode these days. So I spend pretty much all day every day sitting alone in my home office looking for something meaningful to do.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri May 04, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

Ren wrote:Eternity and infinity scare the hell out of me. It's not because of eternal damnation I hope there's nothing after death, it's because I can't deal with the idea of living that long.

I also have nightmares about infinite differences between sizes and stuff.

Finality scares me more. There's too much to learn still, too much that I want to know for life to be this short and pointless.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri May 04, 2007 5:22 pm UTC

To the average person, there are two kinds of people who care about the distinction between OCPD and OCD: doctors and patients. When you have "doctor" in front of your name, caring about the difference makes you conscientious and outspoken. When you don't, it just means you're crazy.

I begin to detect an irrational fear of using language in an accurate fashion...

They/them

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Fri May 04, 2007 5:27 pm UTC

CDarklock wrote:To the average person, there are two kinds of people who care about the distinction between OCPD and OCD: doctors and patients. When you have "doctor" in front of your name, caring about the difference makes you conscientious and outspoken. When you don't, it just means you're crazy.

I don't have to hold a doctorate to be conscientious or outspoken about mental health issues, or any issue, for that matter. I think that's a very extreme view, and you're entitled to it, but I completely disagree with you.
Turn your scars into stars.

CDarklock

Postby CDarklock » Fri May 04, 2007 5:37 pm UTC

TO THE AVERAGE PERSON.

Not me. The average person. I call my habits "semi-OCD" because the average ignorant jackass will not understand what the hell I am saying if I start talking about disorders and DSM criteria and why it's not really OCD. He will just think I'm crazy. That means I cannot have productive conversations with him, EVER, and if I have to live or work with this person that is completely unacceptable.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri May 04, 2007 7:24 pm UTC

Why are average people ignorant jackasses? I can understand your usage of semi-OCD in passing conversation because it does convey what you're after quickly. However, I think if you told the average person (Going by my day to day experience in NorthWest England) what you suffered from and explained it a bit they would get it.

I know that my co-workers in a supermarket (Not the highest of IQ's) easily picked up when I explained the neurological order I have that resembles, in part, schizophrenia but with several key differences. They did not think I was crazy, they found it interesting (Although they did think I was crazy when I mentioned Raptor Awareness Week in the work planner). Maybe if you did not expect other people to be so ignorant you would actually find that it's easy to hold a decent conversation?

Not to mention that, when on xkcd you can often be assured that you're speaking to people with a better grasp of things (Although with the recent influx of people not unlike yourself I am not sure this is true any longer.)

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Fri May 04, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

Irrational Fear 1: My current reality melting away only to find myself floating in warm, deep pacific water only to see the jaws of a Cacaradon Megalodon closing around me. (i was traumatized by seeing jaws at age 4 and almost drowning later that year, so i have a great aversion to water i can't stand in, oh and the book MEG didn't help either)

Irrational Fear 2: Waking up in the middle of the night only to see something that shouldn't be (by traditional standards) whether it be undead, or inhuman, standing at the foot of my bed.

Irrational Fear 3: This is my biggest fear, to wake up one day in an insane asylum only to learn everything i've experienced was merely an afterthought of my delirium.

Irrational Fear 4: An orange tree growing out of my stomach because of seeds i ate.

Irrational Fear 5: FACEHUGGERS
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri May 04, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

Irrational Fear 2: Waking up in the middle of the night only to see something that shouldn't be (by traditional standards) whether it be undead, or inhuman, standing at the foot of my bed.

Yes. Yes yes yes.

Too much psychological horror and HP Lovecraft has given me more fear of *seeing* horrible things that should not be, than of being harmed by them.

They/them

Return to “General”