Irrational fears

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Do you have any irrational fears?

No. (I am a robot and do not feel emotion.)
19%
Yes, one or two.
59%
Yes, many.
22%

Total votes: 274

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

foureyedsnail wrote:I'm scared of having my back to open space. Even a blanket around my shoulders will do, because obviously when the crazy dog comes through the door said blanket will afford me incalculable protection. Therefore, anyway, I have to sleep on my back and stand or sit with my back close to something handy like a wall or chair.

Similarly, I'm neurotic about doors. They have to be closed. If the room has a door it has to be closed. Leaving it open is...god knows what could come through there! The crazy dog will come right in and you'll have no WARNING!

changed to reflect how rediculous my fear of dogs is. on the fifth floor of a very secure office building, i am worried that a dog has somehow gotten in and made it up into one of the dark corners, or dark offices that i pass on my rounds. Or that one will be waiting for me when the elevator opens. Its that element of surprise i dont like, but some nights my imgination gets so out of hand i have to use every bit of my self control to keep from sprinting down the hallways back to the brightest area of the building.

i'm a freaking security guard and i'm scared of dogs in the building. its retarded. *I* locked those doors. I *know* there are no dogs in here!

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

noouch

Postby noouch » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:46 pm UTC

I'm also afraid of deep, gaping pools of water. Most swimming pools are fine, with the exception of deep diving pools (especially if i actually look down with goggles on).
Which is why this photo makes me queasy:

Severus Severance

Postby Severus Severance » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:26 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
Severus Severance wrote:Also, the feel of a gallon milk jug. Oh Jesus no.

...what?

Are you just checking to see if we're paying attention?

Well... yes. Sort of.

Aleril
Le Rail

Phobias

Postby Aleril » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:35 am UTC

I did a search on this topic and only got a serious thread about it so I was wondering if you guys have any phobias.

I know I have some acrophobia, as I could not stand standing anywhere near the grand canyon, and a fear of a black planet the dark. *shudder*

A list!

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Re: Phobias

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Evidently my phobia is bizarre enough that there's no name for it. I'm kind of afraid of chalk. I can't stand the smell, sound, texture (ESPECIALLY texture) or anything about chalk, chalkboards, chalk dust, erasers...I don't run screaming from a room with a chalkboard, but I DO NOT touch it. Or get near it. Or breathe it. Working with soft pastels or charcoal is kind of a bitch, I wear latex gloves that are coated on the inside with lotion, and it still freaks me out.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:54 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Evidently my phobia is bizarre enough that there's no name for it.

Calciphobia maybe?

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:57 am UTC

Snakes. I cannot stand snakes, even little harmless ones. They're about the only thing that absolutely destroy my self-control.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:07 am UTC

I don't have any irrational fears that I have been made aware of. . . but Tara has agoraphobia.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Disco_Inferno

Postby Disco_Inferno » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:19 am UTC

I have a pretty common one: heights. I can get nervous looking out of a four-story window.
John Travolta can dance, but I can light the dance floor on fire.

Julie

Postby Julie » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Cephalopods. All of them. Octopuses, squids, cuttlefish, nautiluses, it doesn't matter. I believe I mentioned this one before on the pets board? Anyway, I am just terrified of them. I can't even make myself go near their tanks in the aquarium. Sometimes I worry about octopuses and the potential to leave aquariums and move about through semi-moist areas... such as my air conditioning vent.

Also fire, but that one's slightly more rational. Slightly.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:32 am UTC

I avoid heights if I can, but I'm not super-irrationally afraid or anything, just cautious, which I am in pretty much anything I do. I also refuse to crawl into any opening I can't turn around in, but I don't know if that counts.

I am lucky enough not to have any serious phobias though.

swik

Postby swik » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:04 am UTC

Arachnophobia. I saw the movie when I was little and the next day I was in the dirt outside when I looked down at my hand and saw a huge (well, relatively) spider on my hand. I flipped my shit and ran all the way home yelling. Since then I've had a mild fear of spiders that's bad, but not that bad. It's really just when I look over and see one on the ceiling above my bed or something. I kill it but then am freaked out that there is another one somewhere around me. I then nervously slap myself at any slight touch to my skin, heh. Not that bad though, I can kill spiders etc and it's not like I live in Australia or somewhere that has nasty spiders. No other irrational fears, I get nervous around heights ONLY if there is a railing, in that I really like to have my hand on the railing. If there is no railing and it's just a cliff, I'm actually fine. Makes no sense.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:09 am UTC

swik wrote:Arachnophobia....It's really just when I look over and see one on the ceiling above my bed or something. I kill it but then am freaked out that there is another one somewhere around me. I then nervously slap myself at any slight touch to my skin, heh.

Never look in to how widely spread spiders are, where they live and so forth.

As for me.. I don't care for things with more than four legs, but I won't run screaming from them either, so it's not really a phobia. The little experience I have with people who have phobias is.. yeah.. they're not pleasant.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Miles Invictus

Postby Miles Invictus » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:57 am UTC

Spiders, heights, enclosed areas, and unfamiliar social situations do make me very uncomfortable, but I manage well enough that I don't really consider them phobias.

timt

Postby timt » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:58 am UTC

If i had it my way i would have some sort of toxic gas releasing system that opens whenever i leave the house in order to kill anything that could potential crawl inside me when I'm asleep. As long as i can see it, nothing much really bothers me though.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:38 am UTC

Enclosed spaces, and moths. They're ok when they're still, but the way they fly is terrifying.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Eon_Enigma

Postby Eon_Enigma » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:07 am UTC

Cynophobia: ever sense i was 2 years old it use to be so bad that the jnigaling from the zipper on my coat whould make me going inside its not as bad now but if i hear a dog barking that i cant see my heart beat doubles or so.

Claustrophobia: mostly of getting stuck in a small space or having something collapse on top of me.

Aeroacrophobia:this one i can sort of cope with but being 4 story's + up and i get really dizy and week

Parasitophobia:only 1 thing to say about this one. Ewwwwwwww

I have a few others I wont post as most often they are looked down upon.
Last edited by Eon_Enigma on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Flying purple monkeys of death love apples?

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:23 am UTC

Aichmophobia- Fear of needles or other pointy objects.

I'm afraid of almost all super-thin and pointy objects, but most specifically needles. Not so much the sewing kind. The kind you get injected with when you go to the doctor. Oh man. They creep me out just looking at them... probably because my childhood illness meant a whole LOT of those things getting poked into me.

Now I keep thinking about them... :(
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Manial

Re: Irrational fears

Postby Manial » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

I'm quite sure this doesn't have a name, but I'm really afraid of some computer error messages. Like the blue screen thing that comes up in Windows. Or when it reverts to the DOS thing. If I'm alone, using my computer at night and it comes up, it's terrifying. I feel like someone's coming to kill me every time it happens, and I'll get up and check my surroundings for a while, even though I know no one else has done it.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:53 pm UTC

I fear anything that lets my imagination do the rest of the work. I saw the start of a horror-y film a few years ago, just a hook-hand scratching the side of a tree.

I saw that damn hook out of the patio window for weeks, every evening.

I also fear stuff I can't see, seeing me. If I have to get something out of an otherwise empty room at night, I'll leave the light off, so that I can see myself as well as the killer outside can, and I can see them as well as they can see me. I like to know where my enemies are, basically.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

When I was 6 months old my aunty walked into the house and screamed at a huntsman (big hairy spider) on the wall. Apparently from that day I screamed exactly as I saw her do it when I saw a spider. Once, in my mid teens, I was home alone and there was a spider over the doorway for the corridor leading to my bedroom. After about 2h of screaming, crying and shaking I managed to knock it off the wall will a broom (dropped broom several times first) got it into a dustpan (which was dropped several times on the way outside, adding to the trauma) and put it in the garden. After that my fear wasn't so bad, although I do occasionally go on Spider Patrol and not sleep for 3 days because one *might* crawl on the bed while I sleep.

Despite that, I feel quite bad when they have to die for no good reason. My parents worked out that if the spider died, I'd sleep, if it didn't, I wouldn't, so they kill them. I feel so relieved, but then so guilty...

TizzyFoe

Postby TizzyFoe » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:41 pm UTC

this is mostly a joke, but it bothers me when the shower curtain is closed, it could be an ambush!

also public speaking.

Heights and spiders used to bother me but not so much anymore.
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

Pau!
Dutiful Sycophant

Postby Pau! » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

I got over my biggest irrational fear yesterday! I was intensely afraid of using electric razors, but one of my housemates forced me to use his... and my face didn't get carved off. So I'm okay now.
"Materialism and vanity are tools of youth and fear. We'll grow up. " Sarah Lyons

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Bees. Their stings don't hurt, but the sound of a bee buzzing near me is enough to make me shriek. And that whole "if you don't bother them, they won't bother you" stuff is CRAP. They go after you for looking at them the wrong way.

I'm just terrified of them. I don't HATE them, and I certainly don't kill them, but they scare the hell out of me.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

swik

Postby swik » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

kellsbells wrote:Aichmophobia- Fear of needles or other pointy objects.

I'm afraid of almost all super-thin and pointy objects, but most specifically needles. Not so much the sewing kind. The kind you get injected with when you go to the doctor. Oh man. They creep me out just looking at them... probably because my childhood illness meant a whole LOT of those things getting poked into me.

Now I keep thinking about them... :(

Just hope you're never a diabetic :(

Antifish

Postby Antifish » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:23 pm UTC

TizzyFoe wrote:this is mostly a joke, but it bothers me when the shower curtain is closed, it could be an ambush!.

That's actually happened to me once. Stupid practical jokes.

Fears- I'm not sure what you could call rational./irrational. I'm afraid of insanity, and The Unknown. (anything that happens and i can't explain - like when i go to lock the door, swear i did, turn around and someone else walks through- Either i didn't lock the door, which i swear i did-and thus insanity, or .. i don't know. I get all really, really .. intense and bothered by it and won't be able to let it drop)

I'm also very nervous when i have to work with electricity- any large source of it, or hazardous chemicals. I know it's dangerous, but i also know that with some caution, i'll be fine- but i get really, really tense when working with car batteries (acid and electrical charge.. ick.)

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

I'm terrified of flying, but that's pretty common.

I'm kinda afraid of heights, but it's weird. For instance, if I climb up it myself, for example a hiking trail with a large overlook, I'm fine. I just don't like heights when I'm at the top of a building or tower.

I'm not really afraid of most bugs, they just gross me out. Except for millipedes and silverfish. I will throw babies into their path if they're coming towards me.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

I used to have nightmares about video-cameras, particularly the image of them with the shine on the lens and the little red light that told you it was recording. Cameras switched off were not nearly as scary. Not the best fear when your father works in Hollywood, but you know....

Also, fear of being alone (even for relatively short amounts of time), fear of spiders (only because of how terribly fast they move, not venom or fangs or silly stuff like that), fear that when I finally find him, he'll reject me (and I believe he'll have every right to) -- again, I know these are irrational, just stating 'em for the record <3
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

i'm afraid of mail... and all the accoutrements.
i hate going to the post office, i barely ever check my mail (much to the consternation of my mail carrier) and when i do, i have to bring a bag in which to hide it all... i don't like stamps or envelopes (though they're not as bad on their own as they are together).

post cards are okay, though they still mean i have to check my mail
*shudders*

my mom doesn't like mail either so, while my fear is still completely irrational, at least i'm not completely alone in it!
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:17 am UTC

irrational fear number 5billionty-eleven: that clicking noise coming from the other room is a hunter or a licker from resident evil and i'm going to die as soon as i turn the corner.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Yummy Tree Sap

Postby Yummy Tree Sap » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:47 am UTC

I have a ton of irrational fears. I can't lay down on my back with my arms to my side, because I feel too vulnerable or something.

Intimacy is pretty frightening to me.
Hi, love!

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:56 am UTC

Bugs with wings -in the summer my room will get extremely hot because I will refuse to keep the window or door open for more than a few seconds out of fear that the flying bugs will come in and sting me while I'm sleeping.
Water -long sob story connected to this.
Being underground or getting buried alive. I'm definitely getting cremated when I die, better to burn to death than to wake up in a coffin underground being slowly crushed/suffocated.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

koneko

Postby koneko » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:07 am UTC

John Donegan. He's a fetish photographer and he keeps trying to stick things up my bum.
ImageImage

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

I think my worst one is my fear of not being able to breathe. I can't keep my head under the blankets, and I freak out if people try to cover my mouth.

And I can't breathe in what someone else is breathing out, like if they're sleeping next to me with their face close to mine. I have to have cool, fresh air, not the warmth of their breath. Freaks me out.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

If you think you're being watched - Big Brother does. The thread makes an excellent list for the room No 101! :twisted:

fear: heights and looking UP while standing near some edge. Looking down is fine - everything is clear and I am in total control. Looking up, however, even watching blue sky near an open window makes me dizzy - always feels like I am going to trip and fly to my doom... :shock:

As for the pain... I found out that it is multiplied many times if you're frightened opposed to being unaware of the horror. I remember going outside in my slippers and returning with a slight sting in my foot. 'Oh, those nasty pebbles or tiny rocks - they always get in my shoes!'. It felt quite intense, so I shook my foot, but the rock didn't come out. 'What? The bugger is sitting deep in the slipper, I have to take it off'. Snap, snap - 'Uh-oh! The slipper won't move! Weird!' I take a glance at the bottom of the slipper... 'Yikes! The head of a nail? Aaaaaaiiiiieeeeee! Ow, ow, ow, ow...' It wasn't a rock at all - I actually stepped on a nail on the ground and it effectively NAILED the slipper to the sole of my foot. Ooooh the horror! (I got it out and everything was fine, but now I am forever afraid of walking barefoot...)

As for the thing with more passengers dying than drivers... if you think about it, it is statistically more passengers per car than there are drivers in it, right? :lol:
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Eon_Enigma

Postby Eon_Enigma » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

http://www.wtvq.com/content/midatlantic/tvq/video.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2008-03-05-0011.html this law comeing into affect.

on a related note how can i condense links down to just words and letters?
Flying purple monkeys of death love apples?

hat_on_a_rat

Postby hat_on_a_rat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

I'm afraid of being alone (relationship wise).
I'm afraid to have open doors out of my line of vision.
I'm afraid to fall asleep last when I spend the night over a friend's house.
And lastly, that someone in my family will get in harm's way, without me there to try and prevent it.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

hat_on_a_rat wrote:I'm afraid to have open doors out of my line of vision.
This is actually a fairly major one for me, although I've never thought of it as a fear before - but it's a pretty strong paranoia, at least.

The same goes for plug sockets being left switched on when nothing's plugged in - maybe not exactly a fear, but something irrational that I can't stand (and almost always go out of my way to fix).
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Ended

Postby Ended » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

Worms. This is strange, since I remember happily picking up worms as a kid. Now, though: seriously, if you're a worm, stay the fuck away from me. *shudder* [edit: I don't mean to offend anyone with a worm-related username (do we have a Worm?)]

There is...no way to enforce that at all. I wouldn't worry too much.

on a related note how can i condense links down to just words and letters?

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.wtvq.com/content/midatlantic/tvq/video.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2008-03-05-0011.html]link[/url]
becomes: link
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:26 am UTC

Cheese wrote:
hat_on_a_rat wrote:I'm afraid to have open doors out of my line of vision.
This is actually a fairly major one for me, although I've never thought of it as a fear before - but it's a pretty strong paranoia, at least.

The same goes for plug sockets being left switched on when nothing's plugged in - maybe not exactly a fear, but something irrational that I can't stand (and almost always go out of my way to fix).

I agree on both these counts.. people at school turn them on just to annoy me.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Return to “General”