Sunrises or Sunsets?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Which do you prefer-Sunrises or Sunsets?

Sunrise
41%
Sunset
59%

Total votes: 111

Seda

Sunrises or Sunsets?

Postby Seda » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:22 am UTC

I prefer sunrises to sunsets, so I want to see how many people share my preference. Feel free to vote and post as you please.
Aum

asad137

Re: Sunrises or Sunsets?

Postby asad137 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:21 am UTC

Definitely sunsets. Sunrises are too early for me.

Asad

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:35 am UTC

asad137 wrote:Definitely sunsets. Sunrises are too early for me.

Asad

Same here. If I'm up in time for sunrise, I probably haven't had any sleep yet.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Waldo

Postby Waldo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:37 am UTC

Sunrises are lovely, but I'm generally too damn tired to appreciate them. So, sunsets.
[Signature pending...]

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:41 am UTC

I'm naturally more active in the night than in the day, but sunrises are still much better looking than sunsets.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

arcticfox.sq

Postby arcticfox.sq » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:51 am UTC

If people were meant to watch sunrises, they would've been schedualed for later in the day.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:13 am UTC

In addition to the timing thing, my apartment's balcony and living room face west... so sunsets are much easier for me to watch in comfort than sunrises.

I've only seen an early-morning sunrise a couple of times... saw late-night sunrise many times at uni, though.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

cwoodin

Postby cwoodin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:24 am UTC

I see sunsets much more often, but if I'm up early enough to watch the sunrise in comfort, I generally enjoy it much more than I do sunsets.

This post brought to you with 100% more "much more"s
He said he never tells a lie!
He was lying about that.

Jedifreak

Postby Jedifreak » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:33 am UTC

Sunrise. I don't like sunsets because they all interfere with gaming, and it's really hot then.
http://www.improbableisland.com/home.php?r=Jedifreak
http://www.geist-panik.com
Jin_Asias wrote:I still think Jedifreak runs off of a vast macro library

darthchazza

Postby darthchazza » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:37 am UTC

Sunrises generally have better colors (in my opinion) but sunsets have better swirling/bleeding/mixing of colors. Where I live tough there is a big hill beside our house that blocks out any sunsets. It's a ten minute climb up to the top and it's absolutely beautiful. You can see the entire town from up there out front and an endless plain of farmland behind. The sun sets over the fields (especially nice at this time of year because of the canola crops give block of solid sunflower yellow). you can sit up on the spine of the peak and watch the colors bleed into each other and then turn around and see the town bustling at night. Just beautiful. would probably make a nice place for a date/romantic dinner but as of yet no one to share it with. In fact I think I am the only person who sees it since it's on our neighbors private property and it's 2 km walk from there house.
Flo3:16 wrote:You sir are a Winner. Just because you have the testicular fortitude to dress up as freakin Zoidberg. :mrgreen:

Minchandre

Postby Minchandre » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Sunrises are more beautiful, but have horrible timing.

IronyandParadox

Postby IronyandParadox » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:32 am UTC

I see more sunrises than sunsets. *sigh* Damn school.

Sunsets win, though. They have the promise of looking at stars a few hours later...
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:33 am UTC

Sunset, because I have a crap eastward view.

One of my goals is to stand on a beach on the east coast for sunrise, hop a plane and see the sunrise in the west. I've even figured out which beaches to use and what flight to fly. I just need financing.

Manhattan Beach, NY=>JFK Airport=>JetBlue midmorning flight to Long Beach=>Manhattan Beach, CA but that leaves a LOT of slack time on the CA end - I'd be arriving around noonish.

Ocean City, MD=>DC/Dulles=>JetBlue early afternoon flight to Long Beach=> [convenient beach depending upon CA traffic conditions] is much more epic because the long drive from OC to Dulles makes it quite the challenge to time properly.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

IronyandParadox

Postby IronyandParadox » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:49 am UTC

wing wrote:One of my goals is to stand on a beach on the east coast for sunrise, hop a plane and see the sunrise in the west. I've even figured out which beaches to use and what flight to fly. I just need financing.

Manhattan Beach, NY=>JFK Airport=>JetBlue midmorning flight to Long Beach=>Manhattan Beach, CA but that leaves a LOT of slack time on the CA end - I'd be arriving around noonish.

Ocean City, MD=>DC/Dulles=>JetBlue early afternoon flight to Long Beach=> [convenient beach depending upon CA traffic conditions] is much more epic because the long drive from OC to Dulles makes it quite the challenge to time properly.

The Little Prince by Anton..something Saint-Exup...something wrote:"Just so. Everybody knows that when it is noon in the United States the sun is setting over France. If you could fly to France in one minute, you could go straight into the sunset, right from noon. Unfortunately, France is too far away for that. But on your tiny planet, my little prince, all you need do is move your chair a few steps. You can see the day end and the twilight falling whenever you like...

"One day," you said to me, "I saw the sunset forty-four times!"

And a little later you added: "You know, one loves the sunset, when one is so sad..." "Were you so sad, then?" I asked, "on the day of the forty-four sunsets?"

I'm sorry. It had to be done. Really. It did.
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:22 am UTC

Sunrise, because it means that I can finally go to sleep.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:32 am UTC

I think sunrises, because I've seen lots of sunsets, but I am hardly ever awake early enough to see sunrise.

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

The problem with sunrises is that it's entirely too cold when they happen. Sunsets can be pretty cool, but I find the impending darkness to be too depressing for me. So....uh, sunrises, since they're so rare?
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:33 pm UTC

I prefer otters.
It rains on the enemy too!

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

Sunrises are nice, they bring the promice of warmth, they are seen less often and they look nicer. Sunsets are okay, but I see them all the time, and I am less easily impressed my pretty colours.

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby Cherry Kiss » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

pkuky wrote:I prefer otters.

yeah that made me laugh...

personally i prefer sunsets... they are a little easier to enjoy... sunrises usually mean i didnt sleep... eeek...
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

seladore

Postby seladore » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

Clearly sunrises.

They are under-appreciated, if you ask me. Not least due to the lack of people watching them.

mxyzptlk

Postby mxyzptlk » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

Sunsets are garbage, typically wasted stuck in traffic. Sunrises are a rare treat, they are usually quiet and peaceful.

theres a show on discovery HD theater, Sunrise Earth.. It's pretty snazzy and makes me wish I could afford to catch a sunrise in some exotic natural location.

Catch22

Postby Catch22 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Is it odd that I mentally equated sunsets with the beginning of something and sunrises with the end?
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

Last edited by gibberishtwist on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

Sunrises are better, but harder to catch, in my humble opinion.

Of course, I think we really need to take geographic factors into consideration. Some people may be influenced by the fact that the sun rises or sets over hills/mountains/lake/ocean/forest/skyline/etc.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

I like sunsets. For one thing, I live on the west side of a hill, so the when I can finally see the sun, it's usually about an hour or so past sunrise. Also, the sun gets up too early.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

I like sunsets. You don't have to get up early and they're great for watching with your partner. I have a perfect view of the sunset from my house, it's beautiful.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:48 am UTC

I like sunrises better. I used to see them a lot more back when I was paperboy, but nowadays it's quite rare.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:13 am UTC

The only sunrises I've seen involved everything turning pink.

So I'll go with Sunsets, cause there's more pretty colors mooshing together in interesting ways with the clouds and stuff involved, also, I am a night owl, so it's much easier to see the sunset than the sunrise.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:30 am UTC

Sunrises are nicer to watch, sunsets are more conveniently scheduled. So, otter/duck.
arcticfox.sq wrote:If people were meant to watch sunrises, they would've been schedualed for later in the day.
Move North. Come winter, we get sunrise no earlier than 8:00 AM.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:39 am UTC

So, many moons ago (Srsly, we're talking 1998-99 here) a friend of mine worked at a bakery. His last job of the night was delivering the boxes of doughnuts to whatever place happened to order them. Afterwards, he'd come grab me, we'd drive out to a place I only recently learned was properly called Hunter's Bluff, and watch the sky lighten while smoking and discussing what the fuck ever.

I say sky lighten, because the bluffs faced west. Trees were to the east, so.. no real sunrise to watch. After that, he'd drop me off at my place, I'd go to sleep, he went home to sleep, and we'd meet up that evening for whatever. Random late teen crap you do when you're out of highschool but not in college because you didn't see the sense in wasting money on something you knew you'd not see through, not yet.

The times we went there to watch the sunset were ... well, different in spirit, really. Usually more of the start of an evening, not the finish.

So... sunrises are a bit more special.

Because I was goddamn nocturnal for a year.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:42 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Sunrises are nicer to watch, sunsets are more conveniently scheduled. So, otter/duck.
arcticfox.sq wrote:If people were meant to watch sunrises, they would've been schedualed for later in the day.
Move North. Come winter, we get sunrise no earlier than 8:00 AM.

MalkuthSephira

Postby MalkuthSephira » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Sunsets, definitely. Beyond all the obvious reasons, sunset is the last moment before twilight. This is exciting because twilight is by far my favorite time of day.
Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes
As my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:03 pm UTC

I like sunrises, don't see a lot of them though...I had a sea facing room at uni, and as such saw sunsets over the sea all the time, but I have yet to get tired of them :)

Not sure which I prefer, to be honest...
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:06 am UTC

I prefer sunsets, for a multitude of reasons; sunrise is too early, sunset offers the night sky which is also beautiful, I am nocturnal, sunsets seem....more romantic, and that I something that definitely appeals. They offer relief from the days heat. You get the idea.
Sadly however, I rarely get to see sunsets at the moment; my apartment windows are the wrong way, etc. However the reflection on the clouds is still beautiful.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

Why do I need to choose?! I want an otter option, or at least a both!

I made myself pick one, and it was sunsets, only because I'm more likely to be awake for them. But if I ever feel like watching a sunrise, I can do it fine.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:42 am UTC

Seda wrote:I prefer sunrises to sunsets, so I want to see how many people share my preference. Feel free to vote and post as you please.

Alas, I find where we differ.
It seems we are not too alike, you and I.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

0range

Postby 0range » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:10 am UTC

I tend to prefer one or the other depending on my sleeping schedule. If I'm staying up all night and sleeping during the day, which is my norm, I prefer sunrises, as they tend to mark the end of my 'day'. If I'm on a more usual schedule, this is reversed.
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne

uildaan

Postby uildaan » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:12 pm UTC

Living on the west of the continent down here I prefer sunsets due to the fact that they occur over the ocean

Mitchell

Postby Mitchell » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

Sunrises. Sunsets have a bad tendency to get in my eyes when I'm driving.
And they said you weren't supposed to do this.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

void * foo;
int i;
for (i; i=10; i--)
{
foo = malloc(1-i);
};

Return to “General”