Intruder!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Æshættr

Intruder!

Postby Æshættr » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

So, this morning I woke up to the sound of something metal hitting something else metal in my kitchen (studio apartment, so my "kitchen" is next to my desk and loft bed.) I heard someone go out into the hall, and my door was left slightly ajar (letting some light in.) "No big deal" I thoguht, "Just my neighbor coming in to borrow some müsli for breakfast(I've given my OK for this.)"

I waited for about five minutes, but nobody came back to put anything back or shut the door. I remembered that my neighbor is on vacation until tomorrow evening, so it must have been someone else.

I went down, closed/locked the door, and checked to make sure that nothing had been stolen. Not a thing was missing, so at least I wasn't robbed. I still don't know who it was or why they were in my room. The noise may have been them fumbling for the lights (since the only lights that work in my room are in the kitchen.) It may have been someone mistaking my room for theirs (unlikely unless they were very drunk.) After that, I went outside to see if anyone else was awake (since it was about 5:00 AM), and only one light was on. I don't know the person who lives there, but I doubt that it was them. Out in the hall, I noticed that the morning's paper in my neighbor's newspaper holder, so I'm guessing that it may have been the person who delivers the papers.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? Break-ins or finding strange people in your house? What did you end up doing? Or if not, what would you do?

Hans

Re: Intruder!

Postby Hans » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

Scary!

Some years ago, when I lived alone, I was taking a shower when someone knocked on the bathroom door. Freaked me out for a few seconds, standing naked in the shower with someone outside my bathroom. It was my apartment manager (a fact which she stated shortly after knocking). My upstairs neighbor's hot water tank burst, and the manager was checking for water damage. Evidently she had knocked on my front door, but being in the shower, I had not heard it. I think she was more embarrassed than I was.
Don't look or you'll collapse my wave function!

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

Start balancing a beer bottle on the door knob after I enter my dwelling. It works even if the door is locked!

Any slight movement to the knob from any source really... I'd just be a tad crept(?) out, maybe start keeping a weapon within arms reach of the bed.
don't plow that beautiful field!

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:52 am UTC

my friend Catherine figured out how to open my parents' bedroom door on a night that my dad was out of town on business. All of the sudden at 2:00 AM, the door handle started jiggling, then the door swung open. Then the cat jumped on her. My mom just about passed out.

cwoodin

Postby cwoodin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:12 am UTC

In college we found a couple condoms under my roommate's bed.. he swore he didn't know where they came from, and I didn't put them there =/
He said he never tells a lie!
He was lying about that.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:36 am UTC

I woke up about 2 am one night when my roommate was out of town because a bunch of people I didn't know were in my living room watching the Bourne Ultimatum.

I got the impression that they thought they knew my roommate and thought that he told them they could hang out at our place while they were waiting for a ride after a party, but when I asked him about it when he got back, he said he hadn't told anybody that and didn't recognize the people from my descriptions.

I still dunno who they were, but we had a good time and after they left I started locking the apartment door more frequently.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

cwoodin wrote:In college we found a couple condoms under my roommate's bed.. he swore he didn't know where they came from, and I didn't put them there =/

he was being modest.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

rubber314chicken wrote:
cwoodin wrote:In college we found a couple condoms under my roommate's bed.. he swore he didn't know where they came from, and I didn't put them there =/
he was being modest.
Maybe. I found a bra in my room freshman year. It wasn't my gf's size and my roommate was gay. YOU TELL ME, BUDDY!
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby Cherry Kiss » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
rubber314chicken wrote:
he was being modest.
Maybe. I found a bra in my room freshman year. It wasn't my gf's size and my roommate was gay. YOU TELL ME, BUDDY!

maybe it was your roommates.
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

Doubtful, as my roommate was a person, as were my suitemates.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

xaeon

Postby xaeon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

Æshættr wrote:What did you end up doing? Or if not, what would you do?

Personally, I'd go all Home Alone on their ass. Boobytrap the house with old computer parts, unwanted kitchen utencils, kids' toys, etc. Only if you're definitely not a sleepwalker though, as that could have terrible consequences.
SIG 404 - Signature not found

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby Cherry Kiss » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:Doubtful, as my roommate was a person, as were my suitemates.

ha-ha.
too funny.
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:09 pm UTC

xaeon wrote:
Æshættr wrote:What did you end up doing? Or if not, what would you do?
Personally, I'd go all Home Alone on their ass. Boobytrap the house with old computer parts, unwanted kitchen utencils, kids' toys, etc. Only if you're definitely not a sleepwalker though, as that could have hilarious consequences.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:15 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
rubber314chicken wrote:
he was being modest.

two words: role play.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:39 am UTC

About 4 years ago, I was living in a small terrace house with my friend. I was hooked on Halo 2 at the time and was pretty stoned. He came in late and was pretty drunk, so went to bed. I lasted a few more hours and then went to bed. We still argue to this day about whose fault it was. (Him not locking the door, or me not checking it before going to bed.)

Anyway, the scumbag(s) took me DVD player, which was not really hot shit at the time. (but it had one disc of a seven disc box set in it, mudafukas..) And a bag of my friends DVDs. (OK, his loss is worse, I've made peace with that.) Just woke up the next day and saw them gone, thought he took them upstairs.. Never really occurred to me that I was robbed.

Found my stuff at the local pawn shop. 50 quid? No thanks.
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Return to “General”