Ethnicity of Russians

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Plamo

Ethnicity of Russians

Postby Plamo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:46 am UTC

A classmate of mine brought up an interesting question, what does the population of Asian Russia look like?

Whenever you see photo's of Russia, it tends to be of white people in the European side of Russia...

I guess I have two guesses, the first is that the population would be asian looking, due to close proximity to areas like China and Korea (Natural Migration). The other is that there would be a larger white population, due to the movement of Russian Criminals from European Russia to Siberia and other such places.

Maybe it's a 50/50 split, though.
Uselessnesses... what a silly word.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Re: Ethnicity of Russians

Postby KingLoser » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:49 am UTC

Think more Mongolian...
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:44 am UTC

I have crossed the border between Mongolia and Russia.
On the Mongolian side, people appeared to me about 80% ethnic Mongolian, with the rest being Euro- Russian and mixed. On the North side of the border...all white. Classic Russian. Very small Asian population.
(Based upon Ulaan Bataar, Ulan Ude, Irkutsk, small town on Lake Baikal, border crossing.

Snowdream

Postby Snowdream » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:12 am UTC

Does anyone else ever get into the debates if Russians should be called 'Asians' or 'Europeans?'

I always consider Russians of any decent to be 'Asian' only because of the fact that on the maps I use (And for the sake of simplicity) -- they live in Asia, ergo Asians. I know there's "Eurasia" but I'm quick to remind people that most dominant perspectives don't tie the two together yet.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:26 am UTC

I've always thought that the division of Europe and Asia was rather arbitrary (or guided by exclusionary Europeans). All other continents make some sort of sense as a separate land mass.
Rice Puddin.

Snowdream

Postby Snowdream » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:37 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:I've always thought that the division of Europe and Asia was rather arbitrary (or guided by exclusionary Europeans). All other continents make some sort of sense as a separate land mass.

Try having a discussion in college as to how many continents there are... I say 7.

Then you get people who say... 8... or only 3... 4... 5... continents. Oi >.<

smw543

Postby smw543 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:47 am UTC

It varies a lot depending on what part of "eastern Russia" you're talking about. Generally speaking, though, in areas near a border you'll find people who are of the ethnicity of the country the area borders, as well as "white" people who trace back to western Europe. I'm told that in most places people are still ethnically segregated in the sense that there isn't much in the way of intermarriage (but this info comes mainly from a friend of mine and from a professor, neither of which have been to Russia since the mid-90's.) There is some mixing of culture, however, such as on Sakhalin, where many ethnically Japanese people have Russian given names (although Sakhalin is a unique example, historically.)

This article has some interesting data.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:54 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:I've always thought that the division of Europe and Asia was rather arbitrary (or guided by exclusionary Europeans). All other continents make some sort of sense as a separate land mass.

I think the divisions between Europe and Asia existed before the other seperate land masses were discovered. [citation needed]
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

b.roll

Postby b.roll » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

KingLoser wrote:I think the divisions between Europe and Asia existed before the other seperate land masses were discovered. [citation needed]

I counterattack with Africa.
It's a train. I don't like my username but I don't feel like losing my 4 posts.

Babamthegrunt wrote:You know, most of these games in forum games would be so weird if they were played out in real life.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

Snowdream wrote:Does anyone else ever get into the debates if Russians should be called 'Asians' or 'Europeans?'

No, not really. All I want is for British people to stop being silly and admit they're Europeans.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

Plamo wrote:A classmate of mine brought up an interesting question, what does the population of Asian Russia look like?

Here you go. Several of those photographs are from the other side of the Ural Mountains.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:21 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
Snowdream wrote:Does anyone else ever get into the debates if Russians should be called 'Asians' or 'Europeans?'

No, not really. All I want is for British people to stop being silly and admit they're Europeans.
They don't do this already?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:

A lot of them don't.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Snowdream wrote:I always consider Russians of any decent to be 'Asian' only because of the fact that on the maps I use (And for the sake of simplicity) -- they live in Asia, ergo Asians. I know there's "Eurasia" but I'm quick to remind people that most dominant perspectives don't tie the two together yet.

The western part of Russia is in Europe and that's where the majority of Russians live. Therefore, Russians are usually Europeans.

Monty40xi

Postby Monty40xi » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
22/7 wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:

A lot of them don't.

What would they say is un-European about Britain?
Occam's Quandary: any idea can be made to sound like the simpler one.

EstLladon
Beat you to the park. From RUSSIA.

Postby EstLladon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

It goes like this: there are ethnic groups that live together and have places where they live named after them. Some of them look pretty asian. Almost everybody else is european looking white guys and gals. They are rather uniformly spread throughout the country (except probably Caucaus).
From Russia with math.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Monty40xi wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:
22/7 wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:

A lot of them don't.

I think it's mostly that little narrow band of water between them and mainland Europe. Also, I think they tend to think of Europe as mainly France.
- Hesiod, Theogony

EstLladon
Beat you to the park. From RUSSIA.

Postby EstLladon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

Also, OP, you have wikipedia for questions like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Russia
From Russia with math.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
Monty40xi wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:
22/7 wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:
A lot of them don't.
I think it's mostly that little narrow band of water between them and mainland Europe. Also, I think they tend to think of Europe as mainly France.
Ok, I have to admit, I only made this post to fix all those ridiculously unnecessary extra spaces.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Monty40xi

Postby Monty40xi » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:I think it's mostly that little narrow band of water between them and mainland Europe. Also, I think they tend to think of Europe as mainly France.

Ahh. "We can't be part of Europe! It's full of French people!"

Or as Eddie Izzard said, "I'm not trying to be hard on the French. My ancestors way back were French. It's just they can be so, well, fuckin' French."

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

Oh how I love him...

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:

See, that's why they can't. If they have to stop being silly, what are they worth to the rest of the world? :wink:

I've seen tons of Russians in photos that look more Mongol and Indian, some with such a mix that they could pass for Native American, or even north African. Maybe it's the specific material you're seeing? FI, books dealing with the government are going to be mostly European folk, since it's kind of headquartered on that side.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Indon

Postby Indon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

I'd always had the impression that Russia was almost as ethnically diverse as the US, especially when it was still the USSR.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
Monty40xi wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:
22/7 wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:

A lot of them don't.

Agreed. Even though we're part of the European Union, we are not part of the continent of Europe. However, I don't really think of myself as European either, just British.

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

I think it really depends on how you are evaluating: ethnicity and continentship.

Is it only a continent if those on it share some kind of ethnicity? Is a continent completely geographically determined? If so--I don't see any geographic distinction between Europe and Asia.

Also, Brits frequently keep themselves separate from Europeans. Ie. Travelling on the 'continent' not being in the EU &c.
Rice Puddin.

Monty40xi

Postby Monty40xi » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:Also, Brits frequently keep themselves separate from Europeans. Ie. Travelling on the 'continent' not being in the EU &c.
Anybody else see a similarity between how Brits look at Europe and how Americans look at, well, the entire rest of the planet? :)

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Snowdream wrote: I know there's "Eurasia" but I'm quick to remind people that most dominant perspectives don't tie the two together yet.

Eh? Of course that's one entity. We've always been at war with them.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

steewi

Postby steewi » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:27 am UTC

There was a lot of migration (both forced and voluntary) from western Russia into Siberia throughout the 20th century. As I understand it, these days, in the ex-Soviet central Asian republics there's a mixture of ethnic Russians as well as Tadzhiks, Uzbeks, Kirghiz, Kazakh, etc. The Russians tend to be more urban, the non-Russians are more rural, but still have a large urban presence. This also applies to Siberian Russia. Cities will have lots of Russians, but also minorities, who are often of Mongolic and Turkic descent, often with a dose of European and Chinese ancestry as well. The native Siberians tend towards the Mongolian ethnic features (darker yellowish skin, narrower eyes, rounder faces, less hirsute), while the larger Central Asian minorities look more like Turkic people (more olive skin, more hirsute). Both groups tend to have coarse, dark, straight hair, but as always, there are exceptions, variation and so on.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Snowdream wrote: I know there's "Eurasia" but I'm quick to remind people that most dominant perspectives don't tie the two together yet.

Eh? Of course that's one entity. We've always been at war with them.

Eurasia is our steadfast ally!
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:39 am UTC

When I was in Irkutsk (one of the largest cities in Siberia, near Lake Baikal and the Mongolian border and home to the largest aluminium smelter on earth and an aircraft factory) a few years ago, most everyone was white. I think that's partly because a large portion of the population is made up of people that got shipped to Siberia as political prisoners and their descendants.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:34 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:Is it only a continent if those on it share some kind of ethnicity? Is a continent completely geographically determined? If so--I don't see any geographic distinction between Europe and Asia.

Also, Brits frequently keep themselves separate from Europeans. Ie. Travelling on the 'continent' not being in the EU &c.

I always thought it was just about the actual continental shelf and its boundaries. A Wikipedia search has taught me just how ambiguous the word "continent" is. It can be taken to mean a great deal of things.

Even if you do it by a purely geophysical perspective, there are the problems of certain islands (like Iceland and Madagascar) that, while not technically part of Europe's and Africa's respective continental shelves, are still considered to be part of those continents. And it just gets worse when you start trying to piece together the Australasia area.

I say Europe and and Asia are separate because that's how they are from a plate tectonics standpoint. Which gives us 7 continents. But if your definition of a continent is just a big land mass, you could call Eurasia one continent.

Aaaand this is all completely off-topic. I'm terribly sorry.

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:22 pm UTC

Plamo wrote:what does the population of Asian Russia look like?

Ask Sarah Palin.

She can see them from her house you know.

Thread was already offtopic, I have no guilt.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Sorroth

Postby Sorroth » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:
Rinsaikeru wrote:I say Europe and and Asia are separate because that's how they are from a plate tectonics standpoint. Which gives us 7 continents. But if your definition of a continent is just a big land mass, you could call Eurasia one continent.

Actually, Europe and most of Asia all inhabit the same plate: The Eurasian plate. If you're dividing continents by plates, then Saudi Arabia and the surrounding regions are their own continent, as is India. Also, the far East of Russia is part of North America.

Well, that didn't work. So let's do it by contiguous area of land instead. But wait! If we do it like this, Europe, Asia and Africa are all one continent, as are the Americas (discounting the man-made Panama Canal). If we include islands to tie Japan and the UK, etc. down, then we have a couple of supercontinents and a whole bunch of islands.

As you can see, neither of these approaches really work. So they're more or less divided by tradition and potentially common partial consent.
</streamofconsciousness>

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

Really, Europe and Asia are on the same plate? This is news to me.

*Checks Wikipedia*

...Yes. Yes they are. And apparently part of Eastern Russia is on the North American plate. (Source)

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:49 am UTC

Rippy wrote:Really, Europe and Asia are on the same plate? This is news to me.

*Checks Wikipedia*

...Yes. Yes they are. And apparently part of Eastern Russia is on the North American plate. (Source)

See, now we need the Palin joke, but it's already been done once in this thread.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
22/7 wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:

A lot of them don't.

God damn it, we live on a separate land mass, have a totally different judicial process, a rich heritage of winning and world domination, and you want us to do something that would associate ourselves with the French?
:P

Russians tend to be of a Slavonic origin, and thus Caucasian.

cerbie wrote:I've seen tons of Russians in photos that look more Mongol and Indian, some with such a mix that they could pass for Native American, or even north African. Maybe it's the specific material you're seeing? FI, books dealing with the government are going to be mostly European folk, since it's kind of headquartered on that side.

This tends to be in the Caucasus area, and the borders with the (former) satellite states.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Return to “General”