xkcdia

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Chfan

Re: xkcdia

Postby Chfan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

GOD WHAT THE HELL I WANNA KNOW!
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:56 am UTC

Chfan wrote:GOD WHAT THE HELL I WANNA KNOW!

Seriously, this isn't like Rules 1 and 2.
This is more like shouting FIRE! in a crowded theater, or telling Stalin to his face that he's a douchewad.

I just can't tell you, and you should really stop asking.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:40 pm UTC

Okay. I will just pass by then. But it will always haunt me...in my dreams...

No, just kidding. Seriously, sorry for being a dick.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:03 am UTC

Chfan wrote:Okay. I will just pass by then. But it will always haunt me...in my dreams...

No, just kidding. Seriously, sorry for being a dick.

It's cool, everyone asks at first.
Not everyone gives up soon enough. I'm glad you'll be staying with us :D

wst

Postby wst » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:26 pm UTC

Actaeus wrote:Not everyone gives up soon enough. I'm glad you'll be staying with us :D
These sentences are correlated. Think about them carefully.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:02 pm UTC

Already figured it out.

EDIT: I drew up a history of xkcdia during my study today. Refer to the map on the previous page, but this doesn't totally correspond to all else said in that post.

xkcdia Timeline

Ancient Times
Long, long ago, the continent of xkcdia was created by a rogue Python script.
3,000 BR (Before Randall): First evidence of raptor activity.
2,500 BR: First signs of raptor civilization.

Age of Raptors
2,300 BR: Raptorstan built. Rival clans vie for power over it.
2,000 BR: Belial and his warlords defeat the warring clans and become lords of Raptorstan.

Age of Belial
1,999 BR: Belial gains immortality as a demon who likes hats, tea, and is most definitely not a raptor. Raptor civilization flourishes under the Eternal Lord Belial.
1,300 BR: Kayaks invented. Raptor colonization and future exploration begin.
900 BR: Strange purple city appears. Move along.

Prophetic Age
500 BR: A colonist group tries to reach the island in the center of xkcdia, but is repelled by a strange wind.
500- 10 BR: Raptors colonize most of xkcdia, giving Belial lordship and control over the Northern Mountains, Southern Coasts, and Strange Lands of the East. The central island remains untouched by raptors.
1 BR: Prophecy of the Coming of Randall.

Age of Randall
0: Randall Munroe leads humans from our universe to the central island. He founds the Great Country of xkcdia.
1 ACR (After the Coming of Randall): Munroe City founded.
3- 10 ACR: Under the wisdom of Munroe, raptors are defeated and retreat to Raptorstan. Belial retains control of the Northern Mountains as well as Raptorstan; retains an inexplicable Russian accent.
13 ACR: Randallville founded.
14 ACR: Human colonization begins, expanding xkcdia to great new heights.
15 ACR: School of Leetology founded, Stallman is summoned and builds his mountain hideaway in a valley just north of the school.
16 ACR: Munroe leaves xkcdia forever after a tiff with a grapefruit vendor. Millions mourn; vendor is executed and grapefruit banned from the country.

Dark Age
17 ACR: Raptor raids begin, Raptorproofed Bunker built.
21 ACR: Present day.

Feel free to add on, I guess, if you really care.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:1 ARC (After the Coming of Randall Came): Munroe City founded. Cigarettes smoked, birth rate goes waaaaay up.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:12 am UTC

I'm more interested in what form of government we would think up and what kind of justice system we would employ, how we'd select our leaders, opinions on welfare/unemployment assistance, free health care/education.

Also what would our internet domain be?
.xkcd?

Regarding language, I think we should adopt a number of them especially english since it is the defacto international language. Although teaching a language like espernato in primary and high school would be awesome.

Speaking of which, seeing we would have the oportunity to build our education system from the gruond up, how would ours differ from the largely arbitrary primary/secondary/tertiary system of today?

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

jakemaheu

Postby jakemaheu » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:38 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:also: as for who mops the floors?

That would be our legion of Roombas, obviously.

Also, for your consideration, I've drawn up a design for a floating country.

Bwahaha.
Dauric wrote:Rent more backhoes and order more fill-dirt. This molehill needs to be a mountain by day's end.

sje46 wrote:It's not if when you get married the husband ceremoniously places his dick in his wife and a baby

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:22 am UTC

Technically, a Dyson sphere would surround a solar system...
Hmm, there's an idea. The xkcd system! I vote we use a star in the Pleiades.

Maybe we can rename Maia to xkcdia?

jakemaheu

Postby jakemaheu » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:27 am UTC

Actaeus wrote:Technically, a Dyson sphere would surround a solar system...
Hmm, there's an idea. The xkcd system! I vote we use a star in the Pleiades.

Maybe we can rename Maia to xkcdia?

Er, scratch that. Make it an inverse dyson sphere? Instead of facing in, it faces out, but still surrounds something!

As long as you guys get the idea.

EDIT: Does anyone think that it looks like the Death Star? I mean, especially with the laser and all...

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:18 am UTC

Okay, we're now colonizing the Pleiades.
imperial_astronomy.jpg
If the Maians have any issues with this, we'll Rickroll them relentlessly
imperial_astronomy.jpg (21.66 KiB) Viewed 4737 times

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

I'm going to resurrect this thread because A) It's awesome and needs to live and B) I want to make a 3d model of jakemaheu's aquatic Dyson sphere. I'll be back.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:47 am UTC

I vote for a hexagonal window/solar panel arrangement. Because hex tiles are awesome.

I don't know why. They just are.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Squid Tamer

Postby Squid Tamer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:04 am UTC

I vote that xkcdia should be mounted on a monorail going around the equator. That way, we could have it exactly noon for days at a time, or have a sunrise last for the whole day. If everyone is feeling particularly tired, we can adjust speed so that the night will last for much longer than normal, and them adjust speed in the morning so that the day is normal.

For profit we need only rent out other city "slots" on the monorail to other cities, because we will only be using a small portion of it at a time.
The city will either need to be completely enclosed in a glass dome, or have a huge windshield. The monorail would need to have "pit stop" loops that separate and re-join, so that cities can pass other cities.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:42 am UTC

Squid Tamer wrote:I vote that xkcdia should be mounted on a monorail going around the equator. That way, we could have it exactly noon for days at a time, or have a sunrise last for the whole day. If everyone is feeling particularly tired, we can adjust speed so that the night will last for much longer than normal, and them adjust speed in the morning so that the day is normal.

For profit we need only rent out other city "slots" on the monorail to other cities, because we will only be using a small portion of it at a time.
The city will either need to be completely enclosed in a glass dome, or have a huge windshield. The monorail would need to have "pit stop" loops that separate and re-join, so that cities can pass other cities.

This is brilliant.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:
Squid Tamer wrote:I vote that xkcdia should be mounted on a monorail going around the equator. That way, we could have it exactly noon for days at a time, or have a sunrise last for the whole day. If everyone is feeling particularly tired, we can adjust speed so that the night will last for much longer than normal, and them adjust speed in the morning so that the day is normal.

This is brilliant.

I've actually thought about this and I think if you did it right, you could make a moon elevator.

Kest

Postby Kest » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

Regarding language... of course we'll want to teach our kids the current world lingua francas (English, French, Spanish, Mandarin/Cantonese, German, whatever else), but regarding our national language, why not build one?

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

N-n-n-NECROPOWER!

A brand new language seems like a lot of work, when the inevitable naturally-evolved xkcdian polyglot would happen no matter what.

eternauta3k

Postby eternauta3k » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:37 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:A brand new language seems like a lot of work, when the inevitable naturally-evolved xkcdian polyglot would happen no matter what.
Besides, if there's something I learned from A Clockwork Orange, it's that inventing languages increases youth violence.
Isn't there some shallow patch of international waters we can drain and reclaim the land?
VectorZero wrote:It takes a real man to impact his own radius

That's right, slash your emo-wrists and spill all your emo-globin

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:33 am UTC

eternauta3k wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:A brand new language seems like a lot of work, when the inevitable naturally-evolved xkcdian polyglot would happen no matter what.
Besides, if there's something I learned from A Clockwork Orange, it's that inventing languages increases youth violence.
Isn't there some shallow patch of international waters we can drain and reclaim the land?

Nederland!

Cane

Postby Cane » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

Kest wrote:Regarding language... of course we'll want to teach our kids the current world lingua francas (English, French, Spanish, Mandarin/Cantonese, German, whatever else), but regarding our national language, why not build one?

I think it's pretty clear:
Spoiler:
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:14 pm UTC

Good idea, unfortunately, this bit:
Politics: As a new nation, we should automatically be on neutral grounds with all other nations, and so would not have to spend money on wars, etc. We could charge countries for parking in airports, seaports, etc.

isn't true. Build or inhabit a large amount of fertile ground with no army to protect it and you soon won't be on neutral grounds with nearby nations.

But in principle, brilliant. If we did go for a new build, we would have no natural resources. So our entire industry would have to be based on internet humor or technology.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

eternauta3k

Postby eternauta3k » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:04 am UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:Build or inhabit a large amount of fertile ground with no army to protect it and you soon won't be on neutral grounds with nearby nations.
So we have to
  • Control them through religion
  • Use commerce
  • Stop reading Asimov books
VectorZero wrote:It takes a real man to impact his own radius

That's right, slash your emo-wrists and spill all your emo-globin

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:02 am UTC

eternauta3k wrote:
Dave_Wise wrote:Build or inhabit a large amount of fertile ground with no army to protect it and you soon won't be on neutral grounds with nearby nations.
So we have to
  • Control them through religion
  • Use commerce
  • Stop reading Asimov books

• Stop playing Civilization 4

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:13 pm UTC

What, you believe that living in the 21st century makes you immune to territorial aggression or something?
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:03 pm UTC

Yeah, I don't think human nature has changed that much in recent years. We would at least want to be recognized by NATO as a soverign nation ASAP. I (and probably many others here) know a fighting style or two, but that's not much use against, say, missles for example.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:40 pm UTC

We need some nukes. Or people who make'em.

Seriously, we would need an army of some sort. Like Japan, they have a defence-only army, right? ( I read that somewhere, probably here on the forums )
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

The problem with nukes is that having as your only means of defence a weapon which, if ever used, will probably mean the end of the human race is FUCKING INSANE.
-a friend.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:46 pm UTC

I know, the nuke thing was a joke.

They're like a self-destruct button.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

Having thought about this, If everyone was to bring a decent gun, or purchase one upon arrival, and learned how to use it, things could work out OK...
We would have to have mandatory practice, and some upper organization, but with a couple of heavier weapons, we could probably hold off a ground invasion force of reasonable size, though we might be screwed if they brought a plane or something.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

Fair enough. I was going to suggest a missile shield instead. The main problems with that are that they (a) constitute aggressive defence and (b) have never been shown to work adequately.
-a friend.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:57 pm UTC

No nukes for Xkcdia, but I do agree with having an active defense-only military. I like the idea of placing large red buttons around the perimiter with signs that say "do not push." All Xkcdia citizens would be made aware of why not to push those buttons, but foreign invaders would not; anyone pushing said buttons would cause a hail of machine-gun fire to automatically erupt at their location. Just one idea.

Maybe line the coast with hwacha (not to be confused with hwachae, which is quite tastey.)

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:02 pm UTC

Yeah, something like that would work too.

We could always turn the whole place into one big booby trap and start a guerrila when we're being attacked.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:08 pm UTC

How about those Swedish tanks that build their own holes, back into them, cover themselves up, and shoot fantastic distances from near-perfect concealment?

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

I think that's exactly the sort of thing that we need. The continued existence of Belgium is proof positive that a country doesn't need an enormous army to be safe. It needs powerful friends and a small, technologically advanced army.

I think the economy is what we should be spending more time on though- obviously innovative high-tec products would be XKCDia's product of choice, but it's dangerous to have an economy based entirely on one thing.
-a friend.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:37 pm UTC

The publication of peer reviewed journals could be a good prospective industry.

Maybe with enough biomedical guys we could be the planetary version of the Tleilaxians?
Last edited by Coffee on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

*volunteers to design all of xkcdia*

I will, of course, need a cadre of elite advisors...

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

Count me out. I'm not going to be one of the people who are executed after you die for taking part in your atrocities and purges. I'm getting involved when xkcdia's equivalent of Gorbachev comes on the scene, but I see it as my mission to prevent glasnost from taking place. I will retain mother xkcdia's national integrity at all costs, foil western attempts to destroy our economy and cosolidate our power, simultaneously launching a secret program to lead to world xkcdism. But revolution, not conquest, is the proper means to further the cause.
-a friend.

Return to “General”