What is your goal in life?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Life motivation

Happiness
34%
Success
4%
Fame
2%
Power
3%
Provide for loved ones
1%
To have loved ones
12%
Other
18%
To Make the World A Better Place
25%

Total votes: 99

SneakyMongo

What is your goal in life?

Postby SneakyMongo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:14 am UTC

What motivates you to get up every day, face the grind, so on.
Last edited by SneakyMongo on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Oh no, we're caught in the cross-fire
Wait, the werewolves have machine guns?
-Spoony Experiment

kinigget

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby kinigget » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:22 am UTC

I put "happiness" but my actual goal in life at this time is to scare as many people as I can. Which makes me happy.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Hans

Postby Hans » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:24 am UTC

I said other; I want to make the world a better place, even if only slightly. Rather sappy, perhaps, but true.
Don't look or you'll collapse my wave function!

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:26 am UTC

'Make the world a better place' should have been an option, I would go for it as well.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:26 am UTC

so should "make the world a weirder place" which is what I was going for.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

SneakyMongo

Postby SneakyMongo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:35 am UTC

Naurgul wrote:'Make the world a better place' should have been an option, I would go for it as well.

Done!
-Spoony Experiment

quartercirclefish

Postby quartercirclefish » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:24 am UTC

I put Success, but not in the financial sense if that is what is meant. I'm looking for success in my chosen physics field. Which is kind of linked to fame (within the field) and making the world a better place (advancing human knowledge).

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:40 pm UTC

Bit of a dilemma choosing between happiness and making the world a better place, since the things that make me happy make the world a (slightly) better place. Or at least I'd like to think so... I'm a badminton trainer, training the youth groups at our club, and I get a kick out of teaching those kids something. So yeah, it's a little thing, but it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.
Quack!

Beacons!

Postby Beacons! » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

Fame, but not in a Paris Hilton way. I'd like to get a theorem/equation/paradox with my name on it forevermore. Like that Noisettes song says "Scratch your name into the fabric of this world before you go".
"Woof!", explained the dog

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

Other, as I have no idea what drives me.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

No one's put gaining knowledge yet? That's a pretty major goal of mine, to accrue as much knowledge as possible. I wouldn't say it's my only goal in life, but it's definitely one of the most important ones.

I guess a related secondary goal would be to advance human knowledge.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Devilsaur

Postby Devilsaur » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

Some people act and do to compensate for what they can't have. Some social workers strive to fix others because they can't fix themselves, some people give and give because they never received.

I picked to have loved ones.

SneakyMongo

Postby SneakyMongo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:41 am UTC

roc314 wrote:No one's put gaining knowledge yet? That's a pretty major goal of mine, to accrue as much knowledge as possible. I wouldn't say it's my only goal in life, but it's definitely one of the most important ones.

So....did you put other?
-Spoony Experiment

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:54 am UTC

SneakyMongo wrote:
roc314 wrote:No one's put gaining knowledge yet? That's a pretty major goal of mine, to accrue as much knowledge as possible. I wouldn't say it's my only goal in life, but it's definitely one of the most important ones.

So....did you put other?
Yes. It fit best.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

negatron

Postby negatron » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

"To become a packet of pure light energy" should be one of the options. "Other" doesn't quite convey the motive.
I shouldn't say anything bad about calculus, but I will - Gilbert Strang

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

Neither does "Otter."

I think the ultimate goal of life is to be happy. Even if you do become rich and famous, it's so you'll be happy, right? If you make the world a better/weirder place, you're happy, right? Even selfless things are somewhat self-serving.

I voted for "Happiness," but "To reproduce so there's some semblance of me actually mattering to this world's history" should probably be an option too.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:28 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:I think the ultimate goal of life is to be happy. Even if you do become rich and famous, it's so you'll be happy, right? If you make the world a better/weirder place, you're happy, right? Even selfless things are somewhat self-serving.
That's exactly the reason that happiness almost shouldn't be on the list. It applies to everything because in the end emotions are used by humans as an incentive to achieve goals. Unless you're like a drug addict and trying to find things that make you feel 'happy' and then exploit them and harvest the feeling, this shouldn't be the option to choose.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

At this point, inertia.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SneakyMongo

Postby SneakyMongo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

Naurgul wrote:
Chfan wrote:I think the ultimate goal of life is to be happy. Even if you do become rich and famous, it's so you'll be happy, right?

That's the entire point of the thread. So far the only real counter point in any strength is altruistic.
-Spoony Experiment

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

negatron wrote:"To become a packet of pure light energy" should be one of the options. "Other" doesn't quite convey the motive.
Is Negatron gonna fusion himself, or find a chunk of antimatter? Only time will tell.

Seda

Postby Seda » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:07 am UTC

This about sums it up.

goal.gif
goal.gif (115.58 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
Aum

xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!

Postby xndrew » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:40 am UTC

I put happiness, but that's a lie. I want to wake up when sun is rising, plop onto the floor by my bed, shower, feel the crack of an egg on the side of a frying pan, suck the milk off the ends of my mustache, read books, get dressed, walk around, wave at people, shake hands and give hugs, ride a bike, jump on a trampoline, kiss girls, watch movies...

Affableprechaun

Postby Affableprechaun » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:52 am UTC

Provide for loved ones. I mean, I want a lot of those other things, but what keeps me going through my hard times? Why do I get up every day no matter what happened the day before? My little sister. She needs me. And my goal is to one day provide for my wife, and my kids. I have many goals, and that is just one. But a big one. The biggest perhaps. I think it is important to have your biggest goal be outside of yourself. Provide for others. Make their life better. A noble goal. I only hope I will achieve it.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

survival.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

xndrew

Postby xndrew » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

Well while I'm here I'll
do the work- -
and what's the Work?
To ease the pain of living.
Everything else, drunken
dumbshow. -A.G.

Naurgul

Re: What is your goal in life? - GLaDOS

Postby Naurgul » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:survival.

What's your point, anyway? Survival? Well then, the last thing you want to do is hurt me. I have your brain scanned and permanently backed-up in case something terrible happens to you, which it's just about to. Don't believe me? Here, I'll put you on:
segmentation fault wrote:Hellooooooooo!

That's you! That's how dumb you sound! You've been wrong about every single thing you've ever done, including this thing. You're not smart. You're not a scientist. You're not a doctor. You're not even a full-time employee! Where did your life go so wrong?

PS: Sorry, had to be done, this not being SB and all.

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

Assist in or see the beginning of self sustained human colinization of extra-terrestrial environments. If I wind up being happy than awesome but fuck it all this is what matters to me.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

Thinking about it, I don't think I have a goal in life.

Continuing to exist and trying to enjoy it is about as good as it gets I suppose...

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

ASmileWithoutACat

Postby ASmileWithoutACat » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:29 am UTC

I don't think it's a goal, really, but I think I do have a reason that I continue to exist.

It's either stubbornness or bloody-mindedness or just sheer perversity (as in Finagle's Law (get your mind out of the gutter so there's more room for me)).

I hang around to spite the universe (and the university) that continually refuses to give me a reason to do so.
You know it's all beginning
To feel like pretending...

Happy yesterday to all!

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:04 am UTC

Voted "Make the world a better place" because that would be my ultimate goal, aiming for a course through fame and success in science. I figure that happiness and loved ones will be happen as long as I'm true to myself (excuse me while I go throw up, that was so cheesy). Plus I'm generally a fairly happy and content person, so happiness would kinda be pointless as a stand-alone goal.

Though gaining knowledge and skills may have made my choices difficult.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

lethesoda

Postby lethesoda » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:17 am UTC

To instigate a Seldonocracy; a government run by psychologists.
Spoiler:
Trapdoors. They make a difference.
The difference between "I'm leaving you" and "ZOMG YOU'RE A NINJA SWEET *secks*" -Kazuke

xndrew

Postby xndrew » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:57 pm UTC

I have a new goal in life, and sorry lethesoda, this isn't an attack on you, but I've never heard of it till now, and it's to make sure a Seldonocracy is never in place, ever.

elminster

Postby elminster » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

To make a significant contribution to technology.

Naurgul wrote:
Chfan wrote:I think the ultimate goal of life is to be happy. Even if you do become rich and famous, it's so you'll be happy, right? If you make the world a better/weirder place, you're happy, right? Even selfless things are somewhat self-serving.
That's exactly the reason that happiness almost shouldn't be on the list. It applies to everything because in the end emotions are used by humans as an incentive to achieve goals. Unless you're like a drug addict and trying to find things that make you feel 'happy' and then exploit them and harvest the feeling, this shouldn't be the option to choose.
I agree.
I submit that, in essence, every life goal can be achieved by being a brain dead person only capable of experiencing unfathomable joy (Relative to normal person and persisting till death) . To everyone else you would simply be mentally handicapped person, unable to complete any tasks for his/her self and would require help 24/7, but, since you're not able to see other peoples perspective, it wouldn't make the slightly bit of difference. You may disagree with it now or claim that such a person would be selfish (If you knowingly did that to yourself), but it's only because you have the ability to see from your current perspective.

Mr.RobLikesBrunch

Postby Mr.RobLikesBrunch » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

I have no "ultimate goal". I'm alive, and living and simply take things as they come.

There's no "reason" to live and there's no "reason" to try to *cough* Make the world a better place *cough*. How could there be? We're on a rock, floating through space. There's no reason for anything. We all die, that's the end (I believe once you're dead, that's it- a state of utter unconsciousness). The universe will continue infinitely without you. Why do we try to achieve anything at all, if in the end, there's no reason for it?

It doesn't matter when we die, because once we do die, we won't know we were ever alive, because we will be dead.

However, we are irrational; if that even makes sense- because technically nothing is rational and nothing is irrational- everything is just everything, unjudged and uncategorize, because it can't be. All realities are valid because there is nothing to deem one right over another. So, it's fairly hard to talk about something like this if, like I have, robbed the meaning of many defining terms. So let's put meaning back into the, even though it doesn't make "sense" (although of course it does, because it makes sense to us, which is a perfectly valid reality because it exists. There is no "ruling" truth.)

So. We are irrational. Although I think that it doesn't matter when I die because when you die you never knew you were alive, and since death is inevitable, at one point, I won't know I was alive because I'm dead, and time will be meaningless as I won't be in a conscious state to ponder and appreciate...because well..I'll be dead. Decaying in the ground.

Yet, despite these factors, despite the meaninglessness and the pointlessness of life, I work hard and I do my share and I form relationships, and I buy things, and I read, and I learn. It's so trivial yet it's the basis of our lives. It's completely insane and asinine, really.

So I say. Don't try to change the world at your own cost. Don't do anything unless it's what you want to do and if it makes you happy. Live life as it comes, and realize that in the end nothing matters- so risk it all.

So quite frankly, anyone that put "Make the world a better place" is an idiot. I can't find any rational whatsoever to justify that. Of course it could make you happy, but then your goal isn't truly making the world a better place, but rather, making yourself happy; utilizing your *believed* benefit to the world as a device to gain such a mental state.

(I know I went completely off-tangent there >.> *cough* not that it matters *cough*)

I'm just a kid in High School, then again, and I'm sure many of you have much more sophisticated arguments when it comes to stuff like this. So let's hear it. Anyway, we're not "designed" (as if we could be) to think about stuff like this. We're designed to survive. That's it. I'm sure that everyone thinks we're very enlightened, we've built particle accelerators, flown men to the moon. But in reality, I'm sure we're encompassed in a great pool of ignorance that we cannot escape as it is our very nature. We're beings meant to survive, not to think about the universe.

Then again, I'm saying that within the pool of ignorance, so it's almost like a..."loop" because everything I say is simply of that ignorance, and describing a fault due to ignorance is also ignorant since it stemmed from the same birthplace as the ignorance. :shock:

I'm not making any progress upon the issue simply due to my nature. You can't, it doesn't make sense- nothing does. Analyzing any of it is simply trivial, we're human. How can we understand anything more...we're limited by nature. BUt then again, I'm limited so when I talk about this things, as if I'm "above the issue" I'm really not...and saying I'm really not is still not really correct because I'm not really and can't deny something because that denial comes from the source of the limit itself, and what I just said does too <--- and that too <-- and that too (times infinity).

We just can't perceive it.
Last edited by Mr.RobLikesBrunch on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:06 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Though I do lack motivation to do any one thing in life, I suppose I am motivated by my desire to be happy, which in turn requires money, which requires a job, which requires a degree, etc etc.

So really my life is driven by the fact that I want a really to have comfortable place to live and relax and a lot of free time...

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

To make the world a better place, one simple act of kindness at a time. And no matter what anyone says, it DOES make a difference.

Standing up for, and defending, those who always seem to be targets for abuse and ridicule is something I literally do daily. I've seen the results; people stop teasing the kids and the kids eventually start standing up for themselves.

That isn't always the case, but mostly, so it's worth it to me. Kids are so cruel.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

Drink, smoke, smoke pot, sail, fly, travel around the world, hike, swim, ski, snowboard, skydive, bungy jump, scuba dive, ride horses, surf, water ski, wake board, fish, golf, camp, kite board, fly ultralights. Then around 40, once I've settled down a little bit, provided I'm still alive, get a job and raise some untamed hell children of my own. If there is a god, karma is going to be a bitch.

SneakyMongo

Postby SneakyMongo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:09 am UTC

Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote:How could there be?

Make one.
Although arbitrary, it will still exist.

Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote: Why do we try to achieve anything at all, if in the end, there's no reason for it?

We must imagine Sisyphus laughing.

*grumbles about lazy kids*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_of_Sisyphus

Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote:Of course it could make you happy, but then your goal isn't truly making the world a better place, but rather, making yourself happy; utilizing your *believed* benefit to the world as a device to gain such a mental state.

Untrue. Someone could believe helping others to be, arbitrarily, the highest ideal. Above happiness, pleasure, life, everything.

Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote:But in reality, I'm sure we're encompassed in a great pool of ignorance that we cannot escape as it is our very nature. We're beings meant to survive, not to think about the universe.

Yet here we are.
-Spoony Experiment

ethraax

Postby ethraax » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

I still have people I want to show up. And I'm not leaving until I do.
Meowgan wrote:It's just like knitting, but with less knitting.

Hackfleischkannibale

Postby Hackfleischkannibale » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

My goal in life is
to somehow, sometime, write a
haiku that ain't dumb.

Having loved ones and success, probably. I'm mainly egocentric, but not with a capital E.

And to MrRobLikesBrunch: If your old definition of altruism doesn't describe anything to you (because, ultimately, you want to do these things and are therefore making yourself happy), just note this and find a better one.
If this sentence makes no sense to you, why don't you just change a pig?

Return to “General”