What is your goal in life?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Life motivation

Happiness
34
34%
Success
4
4%
Fame
2
2%
Power
3
3%
Provide for loved ones
1
1%
To have loved ones
12
12%
Other
18
18%
To Make the World A Better Place
25
25%
 
Total votes: 99

User avatar
Raiku
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 pm UTC
Location: Your Fridge
Contact:

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby Raiku » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Other-I just want to have the best life ever, and make everyone else laugh :)
As clichéd as that me be, it's true :(

User avatar
xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!
Posts: 1077
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:05 am UTC
Location: North East USA
Contact:

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby xndrew » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

Mr.Rob, do you like Ayn Rand?

Mr.RobLikesBrunch
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby Mr.RobLikesBrunch » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

xndrew wrote:Mr.Rob, do you like Ayn Rand?


I haven't heard of her. Just looked her up, and according to Wikipedia's intro, she's my type of gal.

For her time, she seemed to have an extremely sophisticated (and rather radical) outlook upon life:

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute."

Thanks for pointing me to her, I'm going to pick up her book(s) & read more about her.
Last edited by Mr.RobLikesBrunch on Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!
Posts: 1077
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:05 am UTC
Location: North East USA
Contact:

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby xndrew » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

Just trying to make the world a better place.

Mr.RobLikesBrunch
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby Mr.RobLikesBrunch » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

SneakyMongo wrote:
Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote:How could there be?


Make one.
Although arbitrary, it will still exist.



Well, yes. It will still exist since we exist, and the reality that we see life in exists, so everything we do/think of/conceive technically does exist. Sorry if that doesn't makes sense, I find it hard to write down things like this in words.

Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote: Why do we try to achieve anything at all, if in the end, there's no reason for it?



We must imagine Sisyphus laughing.

*grumbles about lazy kids*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_of_Sisyphus



I've never read any of Camus' philosophical work, although I have read his fiction and utterly hated it. I read Wiki's introduction to that, and I disagree with his philosophy. I can't stand him.

Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote:Of course it could make you happy, but then your goal isn't truly making the world a better place, but rather, making yourself happy; utilizing your *believed* benefit to the world as a device to gain such a mental state.



Untrue. Someone could believe helping others to be, arbitrarily, the highest ideal. Above happiness, pleasure, life, everything.



The basis of nature of any beings is self survival. If we weren't selfish in each and every action, we couldn't exist. We can't think about anything if it's not selfish-it wouldn't even occur to us. On that note, we only do things for self-benefit. Even if that benefit is hard to decipher from the good it does others.

Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote:But in reality, I'm sure we're encompassed in a great pool of ignorance that we cannot escape as it is our very nature. We're beings meant to survive, not to think about the universe.



Yet here we are.


I'm not sure we're really thinking about the universe in a...valid sense. We're still completely confined, so can we really rationalize it? But then again, it has to be true, since everything we see is true, since we exist and there's no fundamental way to see anything.

(sorry my quotes are messed up)

Mr.RobLikesBrunch
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby Mr.RobLikesBrunch » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

xndrew wrote:Just trying to make the world a better place.


Thanks.

Do you like her philosophy/work?

What do you think of this mess?

User avatar
xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!
Posts: 1077
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:05 am UTC
Location: North East USA
Contact:

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby xndrew » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

I hate it, actually. I think egoism is fantastically evil, that it can be used too far and wide to justify too many things. If I'm the greatest good, all that is and is important then I have the right to live over everyone else. I don't agree with that, I think I have the same right that everyone else does to exist, and no more or less. Life is absurd, so are you and I, and so is everything else. Why does the world being absurd mean that you can plunder it to your will? That doesn't mean our actions aren't in the end selfish, but at the same time an apple is an apple, even though it will eventually be a core. What I'm trying to say is to call altruism selfish is to make altruism and selfishness the same thing, and they are not. I'm not being selfish when I give an apple to a friend who is hungry, yes I can feel good about myself for doing it resulting in some arbitrary thing called happiness, but that doesn't mean that my friend won't in the end be less, if at all, hungry and therefore closer to that arbitrary thing called happiness.
If all life is absurd, which I believe, then everything is absurd, which I believe, then I am absurd, which I believe, you are absurd, which I believe, reasoning is absurd, which I believe, and nothing is right or wrong, which I believe. Yes, we'll still die, so we might as well do everything we can to help ourselves, the ones around us, the ones not around us, the ones before us, and the ones yet to come. If nothing is important, then I'm not as well, and everything is equal. I don't get more because I'm me.

Mr.RobLikesBrunch
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby Mr.RobLikesBrunch » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

xndrew wrote:I hate it, actually. I think egoism is fantastically evil, that it can be used too far and wide to justify too many things. If I'm the greatest good, all that is and is important then I have the right to live over everyone else. I don't agree with that, I think I have the same right that everyone else does to exist, and no more or less. Life is absurd, so are you and I, and so is everything else. Why does the world being absurd mean that you can plunder it to your will? That doesn't mean our actions aren't in the end selfish, but at the same time an apple is an apple, even though it will eventually be a core. What I'm trying to say is to call altruism selfish is to make altruism and selfishness the same thing, and they are not. I'm not being selfish when I give an apple to a friend who is hungry, yes I can feel good about myself for doing it resulting in some arbitrary thing called happiness, but that doesn't mean that my friend won't in the end be less, if at all, hungry and therefore closer to that arbitrary thing called happiness.
If all life is absurd, which I believe, then everything is absurd, which I believe, then I am absurd, which I believe, you are absurd, which I believe, reasoning is absurd, which I believe, and nothing is right or wrong, which I believe. Yes, we'll still die, so we might as well do everything we can to help ourselves, the ones around us, the ones not around us, the ones before us, and the ones yet to come. If nothing is important, then I'm not as well, and everything is equal. I don't get more because I'm me.


Nothing's absurd. I guess you can say it is, but if everything's absurd, nothing's absurd, because absurd is something that is classified as "unusual, uncommon", so to say (but then again, this is very contradictory considering my last paragraph)

I understand what you mean, though. But what you describe, however, is more a battle of definition (from what I can tell) than a battle of theory. Maybe I don't want to use the word "selfish" but I what I want to convey is that even if you do give that apple to someone else, you feel good about it. If you felt bad about it when you did it, you wouldn't do it. We can't choose if we are selfish or selfless (because we are selfish), but what we can choose is how to live our selfish lives, and how we can manipulate our own selfishness to the benefit of the others.

But hey, let's take selfless and let's modify it's definition. It isn't an opposite of selfishness, it can't be. What if it's a different state of selfishness? What if it's the life of someone who helps others, to feel good about themselves. Maybe that's selflessness.

Maybe with these issues, we shouldn't argue with defining terms, but argue those terms, and manipulate them such that they fit the theory of how we perceive the world, rather than their definition. Besides,we can alter words as much as we like, there's no correct definition.

User avatar
Aikanaro
Posts: 1801
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:43 pm UTC
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby Aikanaro » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

Hrmm, not sure I quite agree with that, because it also assumes that the selfless-selfish person will be made "happy" by helping others. I've sometimes thought that a way of defining "good" vs. "evil" is someone's reaction to a negative stimulus. An "evil" reaction might be "it's unfair that I have to suffer this, so to balance things, I'll make it so that others have to suffer it as well," in a twisted sort of justice. A "good" reaction could be "wow, it sucks that I have to suffer this, but at least maybe I can make it so no one else has to." basically, a selfless-depressed person might think "Y'know, I'm probably never really going to be happy, but maybe I can help someone else be happy, at least. Just because my life sucks doesn't mean others have to as well."
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

User avatar
xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!
Posts: 1077
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:05 am UTC
Location: North East USA
Contact:

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby xndrew » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote:Nothing's absurd. I guess you can say it is, but if everything's absurd, nothing's absurd, because absurd is something that is classified as "unusual, uncommon", so to say (but then again, this is very contradictory considering my last paragraph)

I understand what you mean, though. But what you describe, however, is more a battle of definition (from what I can tell) than a battle of theory. Maybe I don't want to use the word "selfish" but I what I want to convey is that even if you do give that apple to someone else, you feel good about it. If you felt bad about it when you did it, you wouldn't do it. We can't choose if we are selfish or selfless (because we are selfish), but what we can choose is how to live our selfish lives, and how we can manipulate our own selfishness to the benefit of the others.

But hey, let's take selfless and let's modify it's definition. It isn't an opposite of selfishness, it can't be. What if it's a different state of selfishness? What if it's the life of someone who helps others, to feel good about themselves. Maybe that's selflessness.

Maybe with these issues, we shouldn't argue with defining terms, but argue those terms, and manipulate them such that they fit the theory of how we perceive the world, rather than their definition. Besides,we can alter words as much as we like, there's no correct definition.

Absurd means irrational, incongruous, or senseless. Again, I'll say it with this in mind: Life is absurd. Furthermore, you talk of not doing something that wouldn't feel good, and to that effect, you're right, we would never do something unless it felt good. But nothing is that simple, there is nothing that is so simple that it can be seen as either good for you or bad. It is simple to say focus on one outcome from the event, the good feelings I accrue from helping a friend, but then what of the millions of other things that have occurred in that simple act. He's no longer hungry, I'm out an apple, I'm still hungry. I feel happy but hungry. Now, what if I were to eat the apple myself. Then this happens: I'm happy, my friend is unhappy and hungry, and I'm still out an apple. If in the best case for me I can feel lament over the lose of an item. Let's change it again, say I share the apple. I'm happy to share, we're both not as hungry as before but still hungry, he's a bit happier, and I'm still out an apple. In all three happenings, I'm happy to some degree, and equally not happy to some degree.
But I'm sorta tired of talking about this. Like I said, life's absurd. Ride a bike down a hill, give your bestest friends some sauce for cooking, get in a fight, try to talk to a stranger, etc. You're going to die, might as well do something before you do.

User avatar
segmentation fault
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:10 pm UTC
Location: Nu Jersey
Contact:

Re: What is your goal in life? - GLaDOS

Postby segmentation fault » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

Naurgul wrote:
segmentation fault wrote:survival.

What's your point, anyway? Survival? Well then, the last thing you want to do is hurt me. I have your brain scanned and permanently backed-up in case something terrible happens to you, which it's just about to. Don't believe me? Here, I'll put you on:
segmentation fault wrote:Hellooooooooo!

That's you! That's how dumb you sound! You've been wrong about every single thing you've ever done, including this thing. You're not smart. You're not a scientist. You're not a doctor. You're not even a full-time employee! Where did your life go so wrong?

PS: Sorry, had to be done, this not being SB and all.


wat
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

SneakyMongo
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:31 am UTC

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby SneakyMongo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote:I've never read any of Camus' philosophical work, although I have read his fiction and utterly hated it. I read Wiki's introduction to that, and I disagree with his philosophy. I can't stand him.


Ya. Non-angsty philosophy tends to evoke that reaction from the angst-prone :lol:

Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote:The basis of nature of any beings is self survival.


No, nature has no basis. It simply is. The single "goal" of life is self-propagation. Which often comes at the cost of individual survival.

Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote:We can't think about anything if it's not selfish-it wouldn't even occur to us.


1 = 1

....mission accomplished!

A priori knowledge FTW!

Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote:But then again, it has to be true, since everything we see is true, since we exist and there's no fundamental way to see anything.


This doesn't seem to mean anything.
Oh no, we're caught in the cross-fire
Wait, the werewolves have machine guns?
-Spoony Experiment

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby Torvaun » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

I just want to live long enough to defile the grave of my ex-boss. I'd be more than happy to be the one to put him in there, but my friends continuously convince me that I shouldn't do that, it'd be wrong.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: What is your goal in life?

Postby halbarad » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

I don't have some big goal in life, I think I used to but I don't know what it is now. These days I just work towards little goals and see where they lead me.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests