What gifts are you giving your friends/relatives?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Binary.Tobis

What gifts are you giving your friends/relatives?

Postby Binary.Tobis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:03 am UTC

This forum seems to have a range of people covering all of the people I am buying for, and I didn't see a thread covering it so I thought I'd ask. What gifts are you fine forum goers getting for others? I got a lot of great gifts last year so I am all burned out on ideas. :shock:
"A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday, but never remembers her age."

kinigget

Re: What gifts are you giving your friends/relatives?

Postby kinigget » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 am UTC

books mainly, and a couple of movies. My family is easy, we're all bibliophiles.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

My close personal friends whom I play DnD with are getting moderately-expensive-nerd-gifts, and my extended family are all getting those cardboard Grab Bags from the dollar store.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

Boyfriend: XBOX 360, a shirt he wanted, and some car things.
Parents: No idea.
Brother: Candy. Always works.
Boyfriend's mom: Still not sure...probably something pretty.
Boyfriend sister: Blue necklace, Aero gift card.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

ethraax

Postby ethraax » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

My parents managed to convince more or less my entire family to just forget about presents and make a joint contribution to this World Ark thing - sends animals and stuff to places that need it... like most of Africa.

I actually feel really bad about being even slightly upset that the only thing I get for Christmas is knowing that money has switched hands somewhere. But it sure makes Christmas shopping significantly easier. So I guess even aside from the "I contributed!" feeling there's some convenience in it.
Meowgan wrote:It's just like knitting, but with less knitting.

Grooving Tony

Postby Grooving Tony » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

if you know someone who is geeky and into cookery get them the hungry scientists cook book, the first recipe is how to make your own edible underwear though, so don't give it where it is inappropriate like to your granny or something. I'm getting it for one of my mates birthday.
It's turtles all the way down
Panda
BHCM
protect the flag
snuggles
Jahoclave wrote:Tip: Shotgun, they could be a zombie. Remember, you're the first step in preventing the zombie apocalypse.

wst

Postby wst » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Well, considering someone I know just went antisocial on me, I might be kind and give them CPR when they crash their motorbike. There's nothing much I'd like to do to them more than make them forever in my debt. Guilt should hurt them nicely. </mean>

My Dad's been getting into trains, so I'm getting him Microsoft Train Simulator :D as a sort of research thing for when he wants to make a model railway (scenery ideas, etc). Might get 'im a new kettle or something else in the vein as ours is quite tatty. Maybe even a fancy one if I find one with an awesome special feature.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Xaiv

Postby Xaiv » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:22 am UTC

Since I have no money, I drew a picture of my mom's favorite singer, Kenny Rogers as a gift. It took me about two and a half hours, but I think it's a pretty decent picture. It's the thought that counts, right? =P

I might do the same for my brother and sister, but I dunno yet . . Suppose if I get some more time I could give it a shot.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:45 am UTC

Me and two friends are buying each other gifts from the £1 store, maximum spending of £1 on each person. Slightly wacky and probably terrible presents but we will enjoy it. My Girlfriend gets a copy of the Anima rulebook and nieces and nephews get dvds of strange children's films.

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:07 am UTC

I've bought my girlfriend gifts that start with each letter of her name. It's ok as long as none of your relatives have long names...

halbarad wrote:Me and two friends are buying each other gifts from the £1 store, maximum spending of £1 on each person.

I did this with my housemates last year. It's amazing what you can find in a £1 store
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:39 am UTC

rnew wrote:I've bought my girlfriend gifts that start with each letter of her name. It's ok as long as none of your relatives have long names...
That's a really great idea, I'll have to use that oh, wait- I have no one to do that for any more *sad panda*.

My friends are just doing the kris kringle thing this year, with a price range of $15-$25 (AU). It's actually pretty difficult- so far everything that I have deemed worthy is around $30 at the very least. I think I'll end up getting a load of strawberry-scented products from The Body Shop.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

Brother: Godzilla 50th anniversary edition
Dad: the new Dune book
Mum: ....ah hell, gotta go shopping again...
Uni friends: head band, bangles

Me: So what do you want for christmas
Boyfriend: stuff
me: what stuff?
BF: stuff, you know what I like
Me: but I don't know what you have
BF: .........
Me: ...you can get me hair clips.
ImageImageImageImageImage

longs

Postby longs » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:35 am UTC

Hey! Let's revive this thread! That's okay, right?? I searched and could not find any recent gift threads.

Christmas time is close and I need gift ideas for friends and family. I would like to see gifts that are not books/music/clothes/gadgets/stuff... but rather something more special, something you made, etc. This is the part where I get stumped.

for friends-
-I was thinking about rasterbating some image into a nice poster for a friend (just google rasterbate)
-a nice toy like a spirograph, a yo-yo, a kite
-jewelry (including handmade stuff!)
-could a list of links to various websites you think a friend would find interesting/meaningful even conceivably be a good gift?
-??

parents/relatives-
-[I am clueless, help]

[edit] more ideas... webcomic merchandise can be something special if it conveys a certain closeness or understanding you share with a friend. A softerworld, xkcd, cat and girl, pictures for sad children, overqualified, etc -- all have books. I even think a lolcat book was released some time ago.

Also, can anyone name some excellent online merchants? etsy, thinkgeek, topatoco, ...what else?
the participle.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

I prodded my library to get the Hungry Scientist's Hanbook. Sounds too fun.

Dad: Food chopper and this de-fogger stuff for glasses called Cat Crap of all things
Mom: Some agave nectar and a meat thermometer
Brother: The Darkness for x-box 360
Friend 1: Some loose-leaf rose-based tea and maybe some chocolate
Friend 2: Lucidity from Steam
Girlfriend: A gothy necklace and ring.

Gifts this year were surprisingly easy. Parents told me what they want and I got something extra on top of it, I was able to find out surreptitiously if my brother had that game (and it was cheap through Amazon,) Lucidity was on sale from Steam, and the girlfriend was enamored with the necklace in the store and it’ll be a nice surprise to give it to her.

Arachnid Tiger
Location: If i told you, you would be mad. I don't like people being mad.

Postby Arachnid Tiger » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

I'm getting mostly normal stuff for my family; perfume, dvds, cds, games. I might cross stitch some Christmas cards if I have time between now and then...not looking good for that, though.
My boyfriend and I our putting together a wine, cheese, and biscuits type thing for his parents :)
My friends will be getting Edward Monkton stuff, mainly :)
My boyfriend is on the fora so his present is secret.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

AwesomeJosh

Postby AwesomeJosh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

I've only purchased one gift so far; I got my mom this hand carved wooden frog thing from Vietnam that has ridges on its back. When you run this little dowel up or down the ridges, it makes frog calls! She adores anything frog related, so it's pretty much a guaranteed win.

Fat Turtle

Postby Fat Turtle » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

Giftcards! (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50524)

Plus the perfect book for my wife: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, found on the always reliable thinkgeek.com...

vslayer

Postby vslayer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:43 pm UTC

For my brothers and father I alternated between the liquor store and the electronics store finding something they would all enjoy, but what the hell do I get for a woman? Scratch that, I can think of several things to get for a woman, just none that are appropriate to give to my mother and grandmother... any ideas, ladies?

Return to “General”