Teleportation of Information using Quantum Entanglement!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Teleportation of Information using Quantum Entanglement!

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:53 am UTC

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID ... 414B7F0000

(More Dumbed down, and probably a bit inaccurate version) http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/10 ... index.html

:shock:

I'm not a quantum physicist so I wanna know how they got around Wave function collapse and hinsenburg uncertainty principle.

~Gelsamel

By the way, first post on these forums, Hi everyone!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:56 am UTC

Ha, funnily enough I'm just now reading about how they got around the Uncertainty Principle, I'll report back this evening.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:04 am UTC

Jesster wrote:Ha, funnily enough I'm just now reading about how they got around the Uncertainty Principle, I'll report back this evening.

Where are you reading this from?

I may not be a quantum physicist but I understand what they're saying and most, if not all the needed infomation to understand it decently :D.

~Gelsamel

Andy

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:31 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Ha, funnily enough I'm just now reading about how they got around the Uncertainty Principle, I'll report back this evening.

I believe their 'trick' is to transport the information - not to copy it. So, the thing being teleported will be destroyed in the original location (and put into some other form, which perfectly encodes its state) and then at the new location, it is reconstructed. It would only be in violation of the uncertainty principle if there was a way of looking at the form it is transported in, and working out what the exact state was.

It is one of those things that I don't think I'll ever actually understand (along with 'voltage') :)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:48 pm UTC

I think you might be confusing that with Wave function collapse. Hinsenburg Uncertainty principle is a problem in actually reading the information in a useable way due to uncertainty in how you measure things.

~Gelsamel

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:08 pm UTC

Reading in NewScientist. I was actually slightly off, this was to do with errors in the system, it seems you can get two kinds of errors, but the Uncertainty Principle means by looking at one you may create the other and do more harm, the proposed solution is as follows:

"The solution is to first create several entangled pairs of particles and share them between the transmitter and receiver before any information is sent. The transmitter then sends its entangled particles along with the quantum information. The team has shownm in theory, that when the receiver combines these particles with its entangled twins, it can detect both types of quantum error."

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:19 pm UTC

I remember hearing about this way back when, and I thought the information was transmitted but you needed other shared information to decode it - info that couldn't be transmitted by tangled particles.

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:16 am UTC

...So what it says is that, basically, we're still years away from Star Trek-style teleportation, but we're close to Tron-style "teleportation". Ironically, the highly-produced and uncommunicative Windows XP will probably be a more fearsome, malevolent overlord than the MCP ever was...
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:04 am UTC

Yeah, but as long as they don't service pack it it'll be so full of bugs it should be easily defeatable.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:22 am UTC

Might as well let them service pack it, each one comes on average with two new bugs to fix.

Return to “General”